PDA

View Full Version : ScT went pay2leech and pay4invite today

blackfog
04-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Morning, okay Friday is upon us and the new credit system is now up.

If you click around you will see there is 3 options,

* No Credits - aka Just the Star / Custom Title / Voice on iRC
* Credits - aka Just the Star / Custom Title / Voice on iRC / Added GB(s)
* Invite - aka Just the Star / Custom Title / Voice on iRC / Added Invite(s)

:O :O

h20
04-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Morning, okay Friday is upon us and the new credit system is now up.

If you click around you will see there is 3 options,

* No Credits - aka Just the Star / Custom Title / Voice on iRC
* Credits - aka Just the Star / Custom Title / Voice on iRC / Added GB(s)
* Invite - aka Just the Star / Custom Title / Voice on iRC / Added Invite(s)

:O :O

i just seen that, so no more random invites? Only way to get them now is by donating?

deuce6000
04-07-2007, 03:21 AM
Makes the site not as good as it use to be i think.Not that i ever had an account there though.

RTFM
04-07-2007, 03:30 AM
Pay2leech, that's pretty bad in my opinion, but that's debatable if they really need money.

But Pay4invite!? That's ridiculous. That completely flies in the face of the spirit of P2P and private bittorrent trackers. :dry:

Edit: Assuming I'm understanding this correctly, no more invites will be handed out unless you donate? Or is it just extra invites for donors?

Acidice
04-07-2007, 03:59 AM
I guess sct won't be level 5 for much longer.

On top of which, paying to download or invite ruins the "free" aspect. :sick:

saulin
04-07-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm sure you can buy invites but also you would be able to get invites for free. It just seems to me like they want money and I can see people paying for invites. What were the requierements b4 to get invites there? Because I really haven't seen much people giving ScT invites. I have seen people giving Oink invites though.

Buggyme
04-07-2007, 04:09 AM
Pay2leech, that's pretty bad in my opinion, but that's debatable if they really need money.

But Pay4invite!? That's ridiculous. That completely flies in the face of the spirit of P2P and private bittorrent trackers. :dry:

Edit: Assuming I'm understanding this correctly, no more invites will be handed out unless you donate? Or is it just extra invites for donors?

They really need the money I guess. I mean, they were all really against Pay2Leech and basically everything that involves payment, so I guess they have to desperate to implement this kind of system.

RTFM
04-07-2007, 04:15 AM

They really need the money I guess. I mean, they were all really against Pay2Leech and basically everything that involves payment, so I guess they have to desperate to implement this kind of system.

If they really need the money, then I guess it's justified. While I'm still opposed to the idea, a pay2leech tracker is still better than no tracker at all.

eLucid
04-07-2007, 06:34 AM
invites are called invites because they are supposed to be free.

4iromatic
04-07-2007, 07:07 AM
this is bad

.....and a year later we will look back at the fall of the great torrent community of sct

*tears

SkullForce
04-07-2007, 07:12 AM
sounds good, hehehe

General2k
04-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Invites are something that should be earned not bought. If contribute to the community you will be rewarded. You in turn can then invite your friend who has always wanted in, or invite someone who would be a great asset to the tracker. This is just opening a can of invite trading.
ScT in an ant caught in an ant lion trap. Scrambling to the top, but is not going to get out.

SkullForce
04-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Invites are something that should be earned not bought. If contribute to the community you will be rewarded. You in turn can then invite your friend who has always wanted in, or invite someone who would be a great asset to the tracker. This is just opening a can of invite trading.
ScT in an ant caught in an ant lion trap. Scrambling to the top, but is not going to get out.

100 % right

slau
04-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Ftn Ftw :)

swi7ch
04-07-2007, 12:00 PM
i just seen that, so no more random invites? Only way to get them now is by donating?

You can still get invites if you're a good user + good seeder and/or during special occassions...

TheFoX
04-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Paying for invites will probably mean that invites are traded for cash, sold on eBay, or other means for the donator to recover their costs.

Currently, invites are worth the value of the tracker, but paying for them means you have to add the value of the tracker and the cost of obtaining the invite, which would inflate the invites' worth beyond the current tracker value. This is either a clever ploy by Feeling to boost his tracker to 6, or a way of reducing the number of trades through forums such as this one.

I understand why they need to sell, and understand selling GB for credit, but have never heard of selling invites internally (I know that we have eBay sellers, but they are seperate from the site itself).

I think we will all be watching this very closely, to see how things pan out. I'd be interested to see if any member here takes up the offer to buy ScT invites, and how they would trade them, considering that they now cost.

Friendly Fire
04-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I understand why they need to sell, and understand selling GB for credit, but have never heard of selling invites internally (I know that we have eBay sellers, but they are seperate from the site itself).

I never heard it either. I understand the need to raise money to pay expenses, although they always expressed the idea that they'd never resort to pay2leech.

Mantaining such a tracker is not easy much less cheap. But the invite selling is mind boggling to me. I dont see in what is that different from people selling invites on the internet. I think they lost their moral to criticize who does that. In a way they're selling the tracker. It's a sad day for sct.

name in use
04-07-2007, 02:09 PM
my only question,which one of you is gonna sell the rest of us invites? lol

STAGUY
04-07-2007, 03:42 PM
So what's the heck, i can go for a newsgroup and FUCK torrents then

Melvinmeow
04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I dont see why they really couldnt just post in their newspage that they were lacking funds....

In all reality...
Sites like F*N and TB do it on RARE occasions when funds and needed... They never seem to lack when times are desperate and they tell users the facts.

I think they went pay2leech cause they wanted to.. not because they needed to.

saulin
04-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I dont see why they really couldnt just post in their newspage that they were lacking funds....

In all reality...
Sites like F*N and TB do it on RARE occasions when funds and needed... They never seem to lack when times are desperate and they tell users the facts.

When people pay so much attention to trackers like FTN adn ScT. How can they not take advantage of that? Do you think that donations are just to pay server costs?

Still it would not be any easier to get in now than it was before so those that have been members there I don't think need to pay for invites and also those that know how to maintain their ratio don't need to buy upload credits. I understand for people that have very poor upload speeds or those that are being watched by their ISPs for uploading too much. They might need to buy upload credits or better yet pay for a News Server subscription :)

Friendly Fire
04-07-2007, 07:15 PM
In all reality...

I totally agree. TB is one i remember recentely appealing to their users because funds were low. In a few days they had more than the whole month required fees. This move by SCT it's more of an option than a necessity i believe also.

Vidde
04-08-2007, 01:32 AM

In all reality...

Totally agreed. When they first announced about the system, they recieved 800 euros within 24 hours, because ppl didn't want it to happen.
...too bad they still went for it, right after everyone was finished with their cheering on how they together managed to save the tracker from becoming p2l (or p4g)..

I remember a situation regarding TBy a long time ago; They announced @ the index that they were in desperate need of cash. Two days later, the announcement was replaced with "thank you! :)" and that's the last I ever heared regarding that issue.

If they're in really need, just ask the members, they WILL pay to keep it running, but p4g? :/
Anyway, they're also announcing that 250 euros of the 1000 they need every month is for "uploads" (aka seedboxes and site access).. I think that was kinda.. I dunno how to put it, but.. hmm, that's almost teh definition of p2l then :p

Regarding that, I'll still leech from the site cause of speeds and content, but if they ever turn on full p2l, aka TL, I'll delacct.php asap :)

Cheers!
-Vidde

augustwest
04-08-2007, 02:01 AM
What a shame....These sorts of unilateral, impulsive changes have been the downfall of other trackers as well (not to mention a few empires in history!). I call it hubris and greed.:frusty:

j0hn
04-08-2007, 03:34 AM
its not "pay2leech"
donators can/will still be banned
u can donate and not get the gb's/invites if u wish
invites will still be given out randomly as normal
alot of private trackers give u GB's for donating, this is not different.

they simply give donators a small amount of GB's depending how much they donate. if they donate enough they get an invite too. its not pay2leech.

it was necessary. either increase donation incentives, or close the site.
and im pretty sure the site will remain level 5. they'll still ban anyone inviting in public forums, if they donated or not.

TorrenTy
04-08-2007, 08:31 AM
If they were in need of money , they had to ask support from the members .
selling for leech/invite isn't a professional way in the torrent world .

I think SCT will drop off level 5 very soon.