PDA

View Full Version : Is BitTorrent as good as it Gets?

doctorcdcs
04-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question from your point of view, but it's something that i've been wondering for a bit now. I first got into downloading first from direct download links for warez back when having to click through a million pop-ups just to get a download for Daytona USA, to dabbling to newsgroups, to direct-connect, and using limewire to irc and finally to BitTorrent which I use for many of my downloads and i was wondering, with the way BitTorrent works, if this was the best- well, not best, but most ideal way of filesharing out there?

On paper it certainly seems ideal, that it's a win-win for everyone with all of us downloading and uploading bits of a file, so that there's a bit of give and take with what we're doing. And with the ideal that everyone gets involved in helping each other out and all, not to mention that i've been able to get some pretty decent speeds through bittorrent, i have to admit that BT is my preferred method of filesharing.

But as with any product out there, eventually something newer or better comes along. I was wondering if there was a new P2P file sharing system in the works, or if it's already here but it's not being widely used as yet? This is more a question of curiosity than anything, and I was wondering what the future of P2P was.

Also, apologies if this is a clone thread.

mossy123
04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
The best way to download and fastest if it still exists like it did in my hayday is to have an account directly on the WHQ of the group that cracks the games. Like Razor 1911 WHQ or FLT. As soon as the game is hacked it's put onto thier HQ and if your lucky enough to be a member there you could grab it. I don't know if this is still the case anymore but I prefer newsgroups to Torrents all day long.

doctorcdcs
04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
The best way to download and fastest if it still exists like it did in my hayday is to have an account directly on the WHQ of the group that cracks the games. Like Razor 1911 WHQ or FLT. As soon as the game is hacked it's put onto thier HQ and if your lucky enough to be a member there you could grab it. I don't know if this is still the case anymore but I prefer newsgroups to Torrents all day long.

I see what you mean, direct downloads will always be better in terms of speed than any method that I know of, but i like BitTorrent for the fact that everyone gets to help each other in a way by sharing the file they need. It seems to be a bit corny, i know, but it hasn't failed me yet.

Now, with newsgroups, i tried it a bit, mainly for things like anime, but I could never get into it for some reason, and although there are times when i feel that i should get back into that, it seems a bit too overwhelming, say when i first started using BitTorrent.
Now, are newsgroups better in terms of getting the file you want at a faster speed compared to BT? or is it something else?

TorrenTy
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
is it possible to have invite on WHQ or that's diffecult?

doctorcdcs
04-09-2007, 06:03 PM
I think by what Demos is saying, it's probably easier to develop a better p2p sharing method than getting on there. lol i don't know hehe

ArtOfWar
04-09-2007, 06:26 PM

The places where most movies, games etc originate are small, secret and private communities and you are very unlikely to be able to gain access to them. If you can get your hands on pre-release games, movies, music etc then you can always get in touch with one of the release groups. But if you could get your hands on this stuff you wouldn't need access to any of the scene groups in the first place.

Xaeron
04-09-2007, 08:12 PM

The places where most movies, games etc originate are small, secret and private communities and you are very unlikely to be able to gain access to them. If you can get your hands on pre-release games, movies, music etc then you can always get in touch with one of the release groups. But if you could get your hands on this stuff you wouldn't need access to any of the scene groups in the first place.

How come you wouldn't need access to any of the scene groups if you can get your hands on unreleased movies for example?

If I were to work in a dvd review magazine (you get the point) and could get my hands on unreleased movies, how would it help me to get access to, e.g. warez apps, music and so on? If I had an access to unreleased DVDs, and if I could get in to Replica, of course my situation would be wonderful; their (and all scene groups I guess) members have probably access to dozens of different scene group servers, what do they call them, affils, dumps, and so on... which have material from dvdrs, xvids to appz and so on. At least that's how I have always imagined it to be. :)

Melvinmeow
04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
They are called Topsites. And you will find on alot of the Topsites they have a few differant groups affiliated on them. (Not to be confused with private dumps. Which are for group members only.)