PDA

View Full Version : Need Seedbox Advice

necromantic
04-10-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm looking to set up a seedbox that I can access remotely. The box is going in a back room at my college, it's not a purchased service like leeware. The computer's not going to be that powerful, just like a 1ghz processor w/ 256 ram.

Any advice on the best way to set this up? should I use linux w/ torrentflux or can I get away w/ windows and utorrent? What software should I use to connect to the seedbox?

Ease of use is important, I've got better things to do than learn linux (but I will if I have to)

maxrebo
04-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Torrentflux isnt that bad to set up. Download an Ubuntu 6.10 server ISO, install and make sure to enable the LAMP option during install, and then follow the directions in the Torrentflux download.

necromantic
04-10-2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the info max, I guess it's obvious that linux will perform better. What I really want to know is if a windows OS with utorrent will be able to seed a few files at 10mb/s or is the pc just too slow?

tintin123
04-10-2007, 01:10 AM
just install xp professional... you can access it remotely.

just noticed ur specs... maybe linux is better

maxrebo
04-10-2007, 01:33 AM
You should be able to saturate 10mbit easily with that box in Windows XP. It'll be a bit slow to boot and start up/rescan torrents, but once utorrent is running, it'll be ok. I just prefer linux boxen for older hardware and for server apps.

tomdpass
04-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I installed rtorrent (using libtorrent) on freebsd and it works fine for any config. Then you can access it thru ssh and download your files via ftp.

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki