PDA

View Full Version : Linux = Retarted Windows Wannabe

super_science_monkey
06-03-2003, 03:38 AM
OK...so 2 days ago i installed linux mandrake 9.1 , this being the 4th distro ive tried i was obviosuly very hesitant but i didnt want to be a pawn of m$ forever so i did it anyways.BIG MISTAKE.
1.) START UP WAS MUCH SLOWER THAN WINXP (XP- >20SECS MAN- <140SECS)
2.) NO DECENT PROGAMS
3.) VERY POOR MULTIMEDIA SUPPPRT (COULD GET SOUND TO WORK FOR 2HRS :lol: )
4.) SUPPORT FROM LINUX COMMUNITY? :lol: :lol: :lol: they called me a "stupid ass f@#k" for not knowing how to use the console to install an rpm
5.) CRAPPY WEB BROWSER
6.) WINE BLOWS CHUNKS
7.) EARLIER DISTRO (SLACKWARE 9.0) CRASHED AND SCREWED UP THE KERNEL AND WOULDNT BOOT UP

theres more but ive just downloaded Cowboy Bebop and wanna watch it. hope its good

id really appreciate your comments please.

WINDOWS FOREVER

Dombler
06-03-2003, 03:48 AM
Maybe you should try Linux RedHat. Linux is much better then Windows, its faster, more options, better programs. You need to learn how to use it before you install it.

super_science_monkey
06-03-2003, 03:52 AM
yea tthe more options part is true but do i really need all of them?
all i do is email, internet, music, games, the basic stuff.

Ad
06-03-2003, 03:54 AM
one other reason Lunix is free&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Rip The Jacker
06-03-2003, 03:54 AM
I heard everything on Linux is free. But then if thats true, it doesn&#39;t have good games. (Vice city, Enter the matrix, etc.)

super_science_monkey
06-03-2003, 04:01 AM
ok free isnt always better though.
Anyways almost every commerical software i have is pirated. Winxp, officexp, photoshop, halflife,ghost recon,etc
ive got a crap load

Dombler
06-03-2003, 04:02 AM
It has about 25 games that come installed with Linux, pretty much all of them are good. And if you want these ese files to work on Linux all you got to do is download and install WinE.

super_science_monkey
06-03-2003, 04:03 AM
lol i loved that bubbles game

RuntimeError
06-03-2003, 05:08 AM
monkey...obviously you arent aware about slightest hinits of the benefits of linux. the only downside to linux is using kazaa on it (the only thing my windoze box does).

anyone ever hear of wine? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (and it doesnt blow chunks)

wise up and stop the penguin hate children...

also red hat is veryyyyyyy similar to the other distribution having just slightly skewed code (if it even qualifies for that).

super_science_monkey
06-03-2003, 05:26 AM
i tried wine.i followed the instructions exactly but it didnt work.
maybe wrong version?
i think it was wine-20030508-i586.rpm

RuntimeError
06-03-2003, 05:44 AM
i cant really tell by looking at that. you need to recheck that you dl&#39;ed the right build for your mandrake. i have to dl for debian, mandrake, redhat, and of course freebsd.

Cl1mh4224rd
06-03-2003, 06:51 AM
...and Windows is trying to be more like Linux. That&#39;s gotta be worth something.

Storm
06-03-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@3 June 2003 - 04:54
one other reason Lunix is free&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
so is XP...... these r the k-lite forums remember ;)

VRWarper
06-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by super_science_monkey@3 June 2003 - 03:38
OK...so 2 days ago i installed linux mandrake 9.1 , this being the 4th distro ive tried i was obviosuly very hesitant but i didnt want to be a pawn of m&#036; forever so i did it anyways.BIG MISTAKE.
1.) START UP WAS MUCH SLOWER THAN WINXP (XP- >20SECS MAN- <140SECS)
2.) NO DECENT PROGAMS
3.) VERY POOR MULTIMEDIA SUPPPRT (COULD GET SOUND TO WORK FOR 2HRS :lol: )
4.) SUPPORT FROM LINUX COMMUNITY? :lol: :lol: :lol: they called me a "stupid ass f@#k" for not knowing how to use the console to install an rpm
5.) CRAPPY WEB BROWSER
6.) WINE BLOWS CHUNKS
7.) EARLIER DISTRO (SLACKWARE 9.0) CRASHED AND SCREWED UP THE KERNEL AND WOULDNT BOOT UP

theres more but ive just downloaded Cowboy Bebop and wanna watch it. hope its good

id really appreciate your comments please.

WINDOWS FOREVER
1) it depends on your setup and which distribution you use
2) well your one awfully blind or stupid fella
3) Did you even bother looking online for drivers for your sound card? usually "<driver name> linux driver" (without quotes) gives you some decent results at google.
4) well if you had an iq over 10 you should at least try typing "rpm"
5) You must have not have tried all the browsers taking that you were unable to type "rpm" before seeking help or even searching the net.
IE Sucks because...
a) The last standalone version of IE is 6.0 sp1.
B) It has many exploits
c) No built in ad/pop-up blocker
d) Literally no skins
e) No extensions or plugins
f) Doesnt work *well* under linux
6) Taking that you couldnt type "rpm" to test to see if it was a command, i doubt you can do the same for wine (which the command for is "wine") Hence, i also doubt you even used it.
7) Dude...
slackware = linux
linux &#33;= slackware
Its as stupid as calling all animals butterflies.

Personally, even though linux is good, Super Comp Newbies should NOT try any distribution of linux other then redhat or lindows (if you consider it linux).

shn
06-04-2003, 01:35 AM
<_<

super_science_monkey
06-04-2003, 02:23 AM
uh a few things:

1.) i did download the right wine build for the distro
2.) tying in the command line (console) i tried rpm and the softeware installer but still didnt work
3.) SOUND CARD; my card has an AC97 controller which if YOU read on the internet youd find its not supported by many of the distros. there is sase project but is sucks
5.) when i said i didnt like the web browsers for linux i meant the most common default(konguer, mozilla, netscapse :lol: (stupid netscape). i do however like opera(ncie ui)

Im still not sure if i want to use linux though. maybe a dual boot. LILO is the bootloader manager for linux isnt it?

shn
06-04-2003, 02:37 AM
Lilo is a little primitive, however it can still be used. Try grub as a boot loader. But actually I recommend you stay away from linux because you suck and your dumb as shit. :lol:

super_science_monkey
06-04-2003, 02:47 AM
:lol: wow linux has become some sort of cult. where anyone not fluent in it is scoffed at and is calledan "idiot", "ass fuck"," M&#036; slave", "queer" and shit load of other things that are just too mean to post.

WHY DO LINUX USERS HATE US JOE SIXPACKS?
and how is linux going tot dominant the os market if anyone attemping to use it gets harassed for asking newbie questions?

im so confused (proably becuz im "dumb as shit") :lol: :lol:

Lamsey
06-04-2003, 03:29 AM
Linux can be elitist but you have to put up with this rather than insulting the community as a whole.

Although I&#39;ve never used Linux, I think it&#39;s safe to say that Linux is much better than Windows but it is only as good as the person sitting at the keyboard.

Cl1mh4224rd
06-04-2003, 06:11 AM
shn has this complex... he feels that, because he knows how to use Linux, he&#39;s somehow ascended to the ranks of godhood. Of course, just like any community/organization, you have your extremists. It&#39;s better if you just ignore those people... or shoot them in the head... either way. ;)

jakert50
06-04-2003, 10:12 AM
I&#39;ve used Red Hat 9. I am a wiz at Linux? Heck no&#33; The only thing I know about RPM&#39;s is the icon looks like a box. The thing is, I agree with the previous post,

it is only as good as the person sitting at the keyboard.
I know how to just barely browse around Linux. On the other hand, you can ask me anything about Windows and I&#39;ll probably know the anser. With the way our Pro-Linux users are around here, I don&#39;t know if I&#39;ll ever catch on and learn more about it. It&#39;s just what you&#39;ve used and what your familiar with. So, if you&#39;re gonna have a bad attitude about it and act your a "Mr. Know-it-all", then shut up. We don&#39;t need your pessimistic comments around here.

wow linux has become some sort of cult. where anyone not fluent in it is scoffed at and is calledan "idiot", "ass fuck"," M&#036; slave", "queer" and shit load of other things that are just too mean to post.

WHY DO LINUX USERS HATE US JOE SIXPACKS?
and how is linux going tot dominant the os market if anyone attemping to use it gets harassed for asking newbie questions?

im so confused (proably becuz im "dumb as shit")&nbsp;
Well, those Linux "slaves" :P can stay with their linux distribs.
As for me, "DUMB AS SHIT"-ERS UNITE&#33;&#33;

Jaker

Wolfmight
06-04-2003, 01:32 PM
use Redhat, or SuSe (suse looks like OS X)

4play
06-04-2003, 01:45 PM
owww there is alot of eliteism in this thread. :ph34r:

linux is very hard to get used to just like windows was when you first started to use it.

why is everyone bashing m&#036; so much they do make an excellent os. i only know one linux distro that is a full os and comes on one cd and that is gentoo. so ms windows comes all on one cd and has now become pretty stable with the best hardware support about.

linux is catching up but at the momment it is still behind windows for a easy to use home computer.

Xanex
06-04-2003, 02:53 PM
I have to agree with 4play here.

Linux is about as confusing as windows was when it first came out. Im looking to switch to Linux when M&#036; puts the palldium thing into full force. Have tried Red Hat and it was too gushy for me, debian was just shit as it had dick all and no real support, suSe kinda goes against what linux is all about and i dont even want to think about the other lesser known distros, so im thinking of Mandrake 9.1.

But untill linux distros can do all the things that the market wants like play games and bundles of software that dont require u to have a phd in cmd line to operate at an advanced level then ill stick to XP.

its rock solid, plays games , has a decent UI and word thingy and there is no need to search high and low for drivers or patches or mess around with bin code or rpms to get anything to work.

As for you elitest linux n00bs, where u born with all ur linux "skills" pre programed into you? NO, so cut these guys some slack, just because windows is the most popular OS dont make it bad. its got this way for reasons, you at some point have used windows have brought some windows things etc. I personally dont have a problem with bill gates, its not really him incontrol of the company any more, he is more of a figure head. he is a fucking excellent coder, could you make an OS in one nite, doubt it. it worked and did its job well if i recall. he has been a shrewd buisness man and does make a good os, it does the job for me. you make out that windows is the bane of all pc&#39;s yet if linux was really that good it would blow windows away, since its not its going to have to proove itself. i guess people think it as the lesser of two evils, or better the devil you know....

as for linux "exploits" they do exist and they are a numerous as windows ones, just since windows is more widley used they are found quicker and exploited more. linux has its perks that when an exploit is found it is very quickly fixed. thou i dont trust linux too much cos u never know who has written what in that thing.

there is still that thing with linux fonts ect... man&#33;&#33;&#33; that shoulda been fixed ages ago.

all linux is is a bodge job of unix. personally speaking, its a great OS, but at this time XP beats it for useability, compatability, software library (inc hacked software) linux has no hacked software since its mostly free&#33;

I&#39;ll give u an example of a true Linux "elitest" n00b.

My house mate mike - short, thin, spotty. sits at his pc 24/7 eating dry pasta and giggles to himself at 4am. has a gf god knows how he managed that one. thinks all windows versions are crap. thought that XP still had DOS underneath. browses the hacker sites, "yeah i use linux im a h4x0r" messes around with his distro so much he breaks it.

(i personally wont work with an OS that is so easy to break, XP - u practically have to delete the windows folder to stop it from working, go on try it LOL)

and now for the killer....

Uses debian/GNU since its rock solid and works, the "been there done that, we know it works OS" (we all know the perks of debian) . But he runs a unstable prerelease of debian and GNU, his linux has crashed more times than my XP machine which only ever crashes when i get driver conflicts with my TV card and video stuff(now sorted thanks to the new drivers).

Its like he uses an OS which is so far behind the rest of linux cos they like to test stuff till it breaks then test it some more, but a pre release, can u say Oxymoron&#33;&#33;&#33;

If this person is but a shadow of the linux comunity then fuck that ill stick with windows than become one of them...

Xanex

ilw
06-04-2003, 03:08 PM
just a point to make
n00b = newbie ie someone who is new to something
so elitist linux n00bs doesn&#39;t make a whole lot of sense. :P

4play
06-04-2003, 03:12 PM
so elitist linux n00bs doesn&#39;t make a whole lot of sense.

it does to me. what he is trying to say is that most people who call themselves elistist linux users still use red hat or mandrake. ;)

Xanex
06-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ilw@4 June 2003 - 16:08
just a point to make
n00b = newbie ie someone who is new to something
so elitist linux n00bs doesn&#39;t make a whole lot of sense. :P
er no

n00b = Bitch ass annoying cunt that doesnt know what he/she is on about, game spammer/spawn killer, every thing you hate about an online "1337", and i stress the ""

newb/newbie = New person, forgivable if they dont know something

yyiryyib
06-05-2003, 12:05 PM
personally i dont care what i use, windows xp home is fine with me, it works, its stable i keep it clean and running fast. it does the job i want i dont care what specs u all have, i dont care about posts, i dont care if u can type 180 words per min or can write a program in c++ with your eyes closed.

All a pc is for is to get a job done, mine does it quite well and i try to share my knowledge of things i know like virtual dub etc.

Personally, if ya cant use linux, then dont, simple enough, its not gonan cripple u to use windows. i dont see why the whole word thinks that microsoft will fail cos everyone h8&#39;s bill gates. Most people use windows cos it is easy and simple to use with little hassel, its all i want and so do most people.

Having a diff op system doesnt make u superior. your all computer racists :lol: :lol: :lol:

next thing u know you&#39;ll have linux people in white robs buring microsoft compuers

yyiryyib
06-05-2003, 12:06 PM
and another thing, lighten up, whats with all the swearing, feel and computer testosterone ;)