PDA

View Full Version : If I Have A Changing Client Ip Address

loz
06-04-2003, 08:41 PM
If My Client IP address changes everytime I disconnect and the re-connect then how can the Riaa & co. track me down, I assume they can't as there is now way to prove that it is me

Can they know it's me?

harrycary
06-05-2003, 02:54 AM
They sure can.
Your ISP is assigned a pool of IP addresses. It will log when these IP addresses are used, and by whom. So, it's just a matter of the RIAA notating the time they found your shared files and corresponding it to your ISPs' logs.

shn
06-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Thats nice to know. However, you forgot to tell em that the riaa will have to do that about 4 million times at any given time or more based on the average number of users on kazaa. And then multiply that by the fact that there are a ton of other p2p networks they have to go after as well.

Once again...........................Fuck the RIAA!

Oh and by the way harry, thanks for that spellchecker link. I think everyone that uses forums in general can benefit from that. Did you help write it or something?

VB
06-05-2003, 12:27 PM
I don't understand why everyone is so scared of the RIAA. There are millions of p2p users and only a handful of people working at the RIAA.

1) Do you live outside the USA? Then the RIAA has no juristiction. Happy downloading/sharing.

2) Do you download and share many gigabytes of copyrighted music every month? No, then you are of no interest to the RIAA. They only have enough manpower to go after the big fishes in the pond. Happy downloading/sharing.

3) Do you download and share many gigabytes of copyrighted music every month? Yes, then apply the privacy patch and you should be safe too. Happy downloading/sharing.

4) Still worried (or paranoid). Then install Peergardian or another firewall and block all know bad IP ranges.

harrycary
06-05-2003, 03:24 PM
shn- nah, I found it by accident one day and been using it ever since.

Poor spelling makes a person come across as a moron, especially when trying to make a point.

Fuck the RIAA.

Share on.

imported_The__One
06-05-2003, 08:20 PM
1) Do you live outside the USA? Then the RIAA has no juristiction. Happy downloading/sharing.

Just wanted to mention that even tho the RIAA have no juristiction outside of the US, dosen't mean that they don't go after ppl in other countries. I know this because I live in brazil, and I got an email from the RIAA about sharing 3D Studio Max. In that case I was using a government internet connection (bout 4MB/s) so I was the ISP (so to speak)... anyway, the fact that I was in brazil didn't stop them from sending a rather rude e-mail demanding that I cease illigal file sharing activities :rolleyes: . Or maby I only got the letter because it was a government connection :huh: