PDA

View Full Version : Sorry If This Has Been Asked Before

RGX
06-04-2003, 08:44 PM
I am really sorry if this has come up before but becuase of this (I imagine software) problem, I cant do searches very well.

Yesterday I decided to defragment my C: drive, took ages, it did it, everything worked fine for like 2hours. Then now, all of a sudden, it hangswhen you start a new app or whatever, for like 10 secs, no memeory noise, nothing. the memory light comes on, but no noise, just.....sits there........ :ph34r:

I imagine it has something to do with the defragmenting (hence software world) but if you think its hardware please let me know.

When i start up, all memory checks fine, drives look fine, and it starts up to the windows login screen at normal speed which makes me think this fecking defragment thing has buggered windows!

Will any registry app solve it? Is it something obvious?

RGX
06-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Umm just to add to it, its got worse, please please someone know something.....

zapjb
06-04-2003, 09:31 PM
It could be easy to ur f'd. Do you update & run your AV? Scan for spyware? What OS? What defrag prog. Etc.,etc.. The devil's in the details. ;)

ck-uk
06-04-2003, 09:32 PM
M8 the easest way would b to tri norton win doctor or something
similar...if that dont work..backup ur data and dbs and reinstall windows.

or system restore

zapjb
06-04-2003, 09:43 PM
I concur WinDoctor is at least a good start. But regular maintenance is the real solution.

ShockAndAwe^i^
06-05-2003, 03:03 AM
Dude
These types of problems are rarely a hardware problem.
I also concur with the windoctor advice.
Keep Defraging that thing!! ;)
Defrag it constantly until it only takes minutes to defrag your entire computer.
Defraging is never a bad thing,and if it is,then I think you have a bigger problem.
Try everything from ad aware,spybot,defrag,and so on.
You could also try system restore as a last resort.

RGX
06-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Thankyou for the replys, I keep my antivirus updated often, i think i will try the norton suggestion, and the constant defragging

ill let you know :D

zapjb
06-05-2003, 05:03 PM
What defrag prog? It makes a huge difference. To suggest a replacement, we need to know the OS. Details! :P

RGX
06-05-2003, 07:45 PM
okey dokey, im using windows xp professional, and using the defrag in my windows hard drive, properties, tools.

Ok, so if defraged a few more times and its def got better but it still does it, I have norton utilities, which apparently has sorted some issues out, but it still does it, although less frequently, im going to keep going with it

any other suggestions you think may help

thankyou for your help so far

zapjb
06-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Look XP's defrag while better than not defragging is the worst. Norton Speed Disk is much better & should be in NU. IMO the best is PerfectDisk 6.0 by Raxco. GL. Keep us posted. :)