PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad

Wizard Scuff
05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
To overseed, I thought I read that somewhere.

If so, what's the etiquette.

ziggyjuarez
05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah.It makes it harder for other people to give back,Improve their ratio.Just give back 2-3 times the ratio on small files and a 1.00 on large files.

Wizard Scuff
05-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Cheers for that Ziggy

Wizard Scuff
05-20-2007, 09:46 PM
I try to keep my ratios just above 1 and manage to do it on everything except demonoid. I just wanted to make sure that was the right thing to do. I just got pisexy above 1 for the first time in ages, tho' to be fair it was never less than 0.97.

demonoid forces me to keep it above 2 and it's that before I finalise the file most times. So there's not a lot I can do about that.

ziggyjuarez
05-20-2007, 09:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with haveing 5.00 or what ever,if you upload your own stuff.Thats probably why that rules in place at demonoid.

Alien5
05-20-2007, 09:51 PM
the ratio rules of demonoid are screwed, it updates your stats once a day.

brotherdoobie
05-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Please remember that every byte that is downloaded has to be uploaded by someone else. ("ratio whores" help no one)

I usually leave on or two torrents seeding when I go to bed.
I figure it's better to leave a few happy...than most unhappy

-bd

brotherdoobie
05-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Those with skinny pipes...can't keep up with teh fat pipe bastards. (as far as-
ratios are concerned)

-bd

Alien5
05-20-2007, 09:59 PM
yeah seeding overnight is one of the best answers to ratio problems

Wizard Scuff
05-20-2007, 10:09 PM
That's what I've been doing. I really wanted to get the pisexy ratio over 1.

I have virgin 10 meg, but the upload is only about 60 kb. Even at that I restrict it to 40 so I can do other things as well.

Skiz
05-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Is it bad to overseed?

Certainly not.

Ratios are just to ensure that you give back what you've taken, and giving is always a good thing - even to extremes. It's good for the community you're helping to build, and it keeps torrents active. Whether or not it makes seeding for others difficult, is hardly a reason not to "over" seed. If those same seeders weren't present when you were downloading, you would more than likely have had some extremely slow download speeds. One perfect example is at public trackers, where slow speeds are are a norm, due to frequent hit-n-run's and few participants seeding back to 1:1.

ziggyjuarez
05-20-2007, 10:36 PM
^that only applys to small communities and public trackers.
(Figured that gos without saying)

Wizard Scuff
05-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Is it bad to overseed?

Certainly not.

Ratios are just to ensure that you give back what you've taken, and giving is always a good thing - even to extremes. It's good for the community you're helping to build, and it keeps torrents active. Whether or not it makes seeding for others difficult, is hardly a reason not to "over" seed. If those same seeders weren't present when you were downloading, you would more than likely have had some extremely slow download speeds. One perfect example is at public trackers, where slow speeds are are a norm, due to frequent hit-n-run's and few participants seeding back to 1:1.

So conflicting advice, that's always helpful.

ziggyjuarez
05-20-2007, 10:53 PM
internetlol:dabs:

Alien5
05-20-2007, 10:58 PM
from a n00bs point of view its harder to get a good ratio when people overseed.

there are ways to get a good ratio, seed for as long as possible, jump on new torrents with the least amount of seeds, upload torrents yourself, download a few rars from a torrent by deselecting the files you don't need and don't hit n run.

theres nothing wrong with overseeding i think.

Wizard Scuff
05-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm no better off than when I started now.

ziggyjuarez
05-20-2007, 11:30 PM
you know,now that i think of it.its bad to seed at all.

brotherdoobie
05-21-2007, 12:49 AM
The best way to contribute as a perpetual seeder, would be at torrent sites that do not track ratios, and accordingly the swarm benefits from your seeding efforts without harming anyone else in the process.

Fact.

-bd

Proper Bo
05-21-2007, 01:35 AM
I have virgin 10 meg, but the upload is only about 60 kb. Even at that I restrict it to 40 so I can do other things as well.

Rly? I'm only on the 4mb and I get about 60K upload. :unsure:

Just out of interest, what's your maximum download speed? I get about 480K
on well seeded torrents, like.

Hairbautt
05-21-2007, 02:45 AM
newsgroups, ffs

Busyman™
05-21-2007, 04:28 AM
Damn I must overseed like fuck.

I have never joined demonoid or any private trackers. When I dl a TV show, I just leave it up for about a week.

I have 15/2.

I surf the net and leave utorrent up at the same time alllllll the time.

Maybe I should join one of these private trackers. I always just look on Torrentspy for a torrent I need. Sometimes the seeders are low and it takes a little longer. For instance, right now I downloading the rest of Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis season 10 and it has fluctuated between 0 and 4 seeders.

I'm only getting about 70kbs.

Will these private trackers be faster? I seed like a motherfucker and seed about 10 torrents at a time and that's all the time. Someone mentioned while they are sleep but for me I could care less.

Hell use my bandwidth.

I don't need it all.

Gripper
05-21-2007, 07:54 AM

I'm on the same max d/load is 1.1mbs

thewizeard
05-21-2007, 08:27 AM
To overseed, I thought I read that somewhere.

If so, what's the etiquette.

You can never overseed an attractive woman.. So this question is a non-starter, noob. :)

Jagarga
05-21-2007, 07:02 PM
i'm on 2mb which is meant to be 8mb, plusnet cunts. my upload constantly hits 49k/s

Wizard Scuff
05-21-2007, 07:07 PM

On usenet, about 1200. Best ever in a torrent probly about 900, that's rare tho'. I'm happy to get 450 - 500. Bearing in mind I can have up to 5 machines using it at the same time.

I think they are due to upgrade soon.

jimbo12345
05-22-2007, 03:09 AM
can this be moved to somewhere where the cawks that care read this?

Scruff, your not amusing.

Proper Bo
05-22-2007, 03:12 AM

Any idea when/what they're upgrading?

Chip Monk
05-22-2007, 03:14 PM

That's a bit harsh, chaps just having a discussion on internet filesharing and the like. You have thought that would be OK.

Why the Lounge I hear you cry. Well as we've discussed before that allows for the cheery banter and badinage, without people getting all anal about it.

Keep the spam where it belongs. Everyone happy and so forth. You know it makes sence.

Chip Monk
05-22-2007, 03:19 PM

I think it's only the XL. mate.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

Proper Bo
05-22-2007, 03:19 PM

That's a bit harsh, chaps just having a discussion on internet filesharing and the like. You have thought that would be OK.

Why the Lounge I hear you cry. Well as we've discussed before that allows for the cheery banter and badinage, without people getting all anal about it.

Keep the spam where it belongs. Everyone happy and so forth. You know it makes sence.

I'm sure you want wizard scuff's cawk, you ghey.

Chip Monk
05-22-2007, 03:22 PM

I'm sure you want wizard scuff's cawk, you ghey.

I like a bit of rough, yes. What of it.

Alien5
05-22-2007, 03:24 PM
I try to keep my ratios just above 1 and manage to do it on everything except demonoid. demonoid forces me to keep it above 2. :lol: i found something that made me laugh, i had to read it twice to make sure its not a joke. it looks like youve been seeding to 2.00 for nothing mate. :o

Demonoid technically does not require that a good upload/download ratio must be maintained by its users. If a good ratio is not maintained Demonoid will not automatically ban the user. According to the moderators of the site, this is due to the extra resources which would be required to track all of the users' ratios, as well as the difficulty of tracking external usage. Although ratio limits are requested by many users in the site's suggestion forums, the staff of Demonoid have made it very clear that this will not happen, and discussion will not be entered into regarding this topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonoid_(BitTorrent)

Proper Bo
05-22-2007, 03:25 PM

I think it's only the XL. mate.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

pisscans, it looks like it might be worth upgrading tho'.

Cheese
05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
i'm on 2mb which is meant to be 8mb, plusnet cunts. my upload constantly hits 49k/s

Plusnet sounds like a really good company.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6676819.stm

Proper Bo
05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
According to the webshite, we shouldn't be getting the 4mb interweb or the tv on demand included for the price we're paying:unsure:

Chip Monk
05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
:lol: i found something that made me laugh, i had to read it twice to make sure its not a joke. it looks like youve been seeding to 2.00 for nothing mate. :o

Demonoid technically does not require that a good upload/download ratio must be maintained by its users. If a good ratio is not maintained Demonoid will not automatically ban the user. According to the moderators of the site, this is due to the extra resources which would be required to track all of the users' ratios, as well as the difficulty of tracking external usage. Although ratio limits are requested by many users in the site's suggestion forums, the staff of Demonoid have made it very clear that this will not happen, and discussion will not be entered into regarding this topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonoid_(BitTorrent)

What are you talking about now. If the file does not complete until the ratio is two or more, then it doesn't complete and you keep seeding. Unless of course you can continue downloading but not upload at the same time. How can/would you do that.

If experience tells someone that, even if they switch off the upload as soon as the download is completed and the ratio stays over two, then what's your point exactly. What's funny.

jimbo12345
05-22-2007, 03:40 PM

This is an off-topic section. The topic being file sharing. The above constitues discussing file sharing, so get it in where "they" can read it.

i like you Chip Munk.
xx

Alien5
05-22-2007, 03:43 PM
ok let me explain in a different way

i join demonoid and download 1000's of torrents and im worried that im goint to recieve a warning from the staff or even a ban.

then i upload twice as much as ive downloaded, then i check my ratio in my profile on demonoid - it says 2.00.

then i post this thread in the lounge called ' Is it bad'

alien5 answers the question with a link from wikipedia that says demonoid does not ban or warn users for a low ratio becuse it has too many users and is a half public half private site. :wacko: get it? it was funny to me. he uploaded 2 times too much out of fear.

Proper Bo
05-22-2007, 03:50 PM

i join demonoid and download 1000's of torrents and im worried that im goint to recieve a warning from the staff or even a ban.

then i upload twice as much as ive downloaded, then i check my ratio in my profile on demonoid - it says 2.00.

alien5 answers the question with a link from wikipedia that says demonoid does not ban or warn users for a low ratio becuse it has too many users and is a half public half private site. :wacko: get it? it was funny to me. he uploaded 2 times too much out of fear.

If the file does not complete until the ratio is two or more, then it doesn't complete and you keep seeding.

Allen, learn to read:no:

Alien5
05-22-2007, 03:59 PM
If the file does not complete until the ratio is two or more, then it doesn't complete and you keep seeding.

Allen, learn to read:no:

you lot need to read the thread from the begining, there are 2 kinds of ratio, 1 is your overall ratio, and the other is the ratio of 1 torrent.

i was explaining that demonoid doesnt warn or ban you for having an overall bad ratio in your profile.

Wizard Scuff
05-22-2007, 07:28 PM

No I didn't. I uploaded it because that's the way it worked. It uploaded twice as much before it had downloaded the entire file. It had nothing to do with fear or banning. That's clear from my other posts.

Are you a bit backward, if so sorry for being a bit harsh.

Wizard Scuff
05-22-2007, 07:32 PM

This is an off-topic section. The topic being file sharing. The above constitues discussing file sharing, so get it in where "they" can read it.

i like you Chip Munk.
xx

Point is if you do it in file sharing or whatever it should be kept on topic. I like to discuss things, but letting people just chip in pish if they want. Sort of preferring pub chat to serious debating. I was interested in this subject but no in a big serious way.

Same with sports and stuff, that's why I post them here. I think it helps the board if spam is kept in the same place. Then other people can enjoy what they want, which is often serious discussions / answers. Hopefully it helps the mods too, as they can then tell people not to spam in on-topic threads, outside of the lounge.