PDA

View Full Version : Can BB guns be used as personal security / do they hurt?

slim150
05-26-2007, 07:14 PM
So basically I figure I would like some sort of protection when I move into my condo in a few months. Not that I'm moving into a bad neighborhood at all, but you know.. If a situation arises I would like to have some sort of means to scare off/ protect myself. Also some piece of mind.

I figure some typed of range attack would be nice.

So if someone was approaching you and you busted out your real looking C02 powered BB gun.. do you think it could repel them If you unloaded on em?

Just curious.. Maybe Ill get a beating stick... or a katana.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Are you really 23

slim150
05-26-2007, 08:10 PM
yaaaa

lol. but seriously. i know its a dumb question, but I'm not into firearms.

All I'm trying to say is I would sleep better at night knowing I had something to reach for in case of an emergency, you know? As of now I have like a letter opener, or my tennis racket.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 08:15 PM
If you "defend" yourself with this then you will almost certainly get done for attempted murder.

http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/images/jt_katana.jpg

DefX
05-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Its better if you just carry a taser/stun gun although i think its still illegal to carry around in most areas.

Most of the time, just running away if you can is your safest bet. But if you're cornered, it wouldn't hurt if you knew some basic self defence moves.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Its better if you just carry a taser/stun gun although i think its still illegal to carry around in most areas.

Most of the time, just running away if you can is your safest bet. But if you're cornered, it wouldn't hurt if you knew some basic self defence moves.

I think he's talking about defending himself and his home (condo) so running away really isn't an option.

And also I never like this as advice "...it wouldn't hurt if you knew some basic self defence moves.". If you can't really fight don't fight at all. The chap breaking into your house probably can, or has some type of weapon, what's the chances he hasn't.

Seriously, if you want to learn self defence really learn it, don't get some basic moves. That's more likely to get the criminal to kick fuck out of you, or worse.

slim150
05-26-2007, 08:36 PM
So you guys think that a realistic BB gun pistol is not a good idea? For both scare purposes (ie looks genuine) and practical purposes would stun someone enough to take the upper hand?

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 08:46 PM
No, if you used it you would probably get done yourself. Chap in the UK recently got jailed for using that type of thing in a similar situation to what you are talking about.

Or worse, what if you point it, or fire it and he has a real gun. Then you get to be dead.

callum
05-26-2007, 08:51 PM
So you guys think that a realistic BB gun pistol is not a good idea? For both scare purposes (ie looks genuine) and practical purposes would stun someone enough to take the upper hand?

If the intruder is armed with a gun, the sight of your realistic BB gun pistol will almost guarantee him taking a shot at you. If you were unarmed I'd just smack you in the face with it. I'd suggest some other means of home defence, trip wires, spikes coming out walls, large stone balls rolling down corridors or an alarm.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 08:53 PM
I good security system involving quality locks and alarms, possibly cctv.

callum
05-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I have a big ugly fucking dog, that makes a hell of a lot of noise. Nobody would get very far into my house. She's away to the pub tonight, so I'm a tad scared.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 09:01 PM
:lol:

Seriously but people, make sure you don't have any "beware of the dog" signs if you do have a big fuck off dog.

If you have them it's a guard dog. If you don't it's a family pet. That makes a huge difference if it bites a burglar's cawk off..

slim150
05-26-2007, 09:22 PM
amazon.com has nice selection of these steel riot batons. and they are really cheap. i think i will get one for the piece of mind i can beat down any harmless criminal or knived one, but in the case of an gun toting one i won't get shot.

thanks for dissuading me from getting the BB gun, i'd probably shoot myself in the foot anyway.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SX1DE888L._SS500_.jpg

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 09:26 PM
:lol::earl::genious:

callum
05-26-2007, 09:35 PM
This thread has actually made me think.

Is it possible to send the police a text message, like when a robber was doing some robbing? I'd be hiding under the bed at the time and I wouldn't want to give my position away by speaking, while I was getting ready to attack and break his arm with one punch.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Snap it like a twig, as it were.

callum
05-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I can bench press loads, probably. I laugh in the face of criminals to be honest, like batman or something. I can also poke eyes and punch cunts in the balls.

The bird is still in the pub, the 5 year old human sheild will have to do for now.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 11:01 PM
I can bench press loads, probably. I laugh in the face of criminals to be honest, like batman or something. I can also poke eyes and punch cunts in the balls.

The bird is still in the pub, the 5 year old human sheild will have to do for now.

I know it's hard to accept but we won the double and you won fuck all, again.

You just have to accept it mate. Talking shite, much as it's your tradition, won't change that.

It's only a game.

callum
05-26-2007, 11:09 PM

I know it's hard to accept but we won the double and you won fuck all, again.

You just have to accept it mate. Talking shite, much as it's your tradition, won't change that.

It's only a game.

Have fun while it lasts. Let's see what happens next season with Walter in from the start, I may even start watching rangers again :(

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't bother. He's got like fuck all to spend on players and your teams shite just now.

We won the double, by a mile, without a decent team. Made £18,brazilion profit and are buying players.

We bought your big summer signing (Broon) for a larf. So much for Mr You Spend £5 we'll spend £10.

Skweeky
05-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Nm

Skweeky
05-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Stop talking about footie already :angry:

Back to the point:

ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE???
WHY WOULD YOU WANT ANY TYPE OF WEAPON IN YOUR HOUSE, PEABRAIN?

As was said before, whoever decided to break into your house is probably a lot more experienced than you are are and will use the weapon against you.
Have an alarm installed, one that links directly to the police station is your best bet.

callum
05-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Stop talking about footie already :angry:

Back to the point:

ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE???
WHY WOULD YOU WANT ANY TYPE OF WEAPON IN YOUR HOUSE, PEABRAIN?

As was said before, whoever decided to break into your house is probably a lot more experienced than you are are and will use the weapon against you.
Have an alarm installed, one that links directly to the police station is your best bet.

The thread has moved on, JP and me crossed the divide to talk some sense into the lad.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Agreed.

callum
05-26-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm going to beat him senseless now.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 11:43 PM

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40775000/jpg/_40775704_walter300.jpg

Do it mate, he's a cunt.

callum
05-26-2007, 11:46 PM

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40775000/jpg/_40775704_walter300.jpg

Do it mate, he's a cunt.

Thanks, I was going to post a picture of the great man myself. That was one of the first that came up on my google image search. It's just a pity I forgot how to post pictures 2 years ago.

Mr JP Fugley
05-26-2007, 11:50 PM
I think most Hoops supporters will agree that he is a great man.

Winning fuck all for the huns, great.

callum
05-26-2007, 11:59 PM
I think most Hoops supporters will agree that he is a great man.

Winning fuck all for the huns, great.

Who's talking shite now? He returned after all was lost.

The first google result for "9 in a row" might remind you what the great man has won.

slim150
05-27-2007, 12:06 AM
I think perhaps I come off as a weakling since I have no experience with guns and weaponry. However I think with beating stick in hand I would be quite a little force..

If it was me & stick VS guy and wrench/candlestick/rope/knife/pipe I would prevail. If someone with a gun came in my house I'm screwed either way.. unless my catlike reflexes are to fast for him.

Needless to say if I hear a sound in the middle of the night, I can rest easy knowing I have a nice club under my bed. :)

PS are you talking about football? My favorite team is Chelsea ever since they played a friendly in my hometown of Pittsburgh PA!

WHRST
05-27-2007, 02:52 AM
I think perhaps I come off as a weakling since I have no experience with guns and weaponry.

:(

S!X
05-27-2007, 03:01 AM
It would indeed hurt.. but why not get some balls and buy a real gun? A 9 or 45 would be ideal.

slim150
05-27-2007, 03:13 AM
I think perhaps I come off as a weakling since I have no experience with guns and weaponry.

:(

I digress. I am a former warcraft warrior, and I've slain nefarian!

Gripper
05-27-2007, 04:53 AM
Make sure you have plenty of healing potions and a resurrect dead spell.

Sextent
05-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Callum's right ffs. Rangers were indeed the second team to do 9 in a row.

GepperRankins
05-27-2007, 05:13 PM
using a BB gun on someone is a guaranteed way to make them mad rather than say fair cop and leg it. anybody that's ever been shot by one knows the automatic reaction is to bray teh prick that's shooting you

DefX
05-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Which hurts more? Being shot by a bb gun or being zapped by a moderately strong stun gun?

WHRST
05-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Which hurts more? Being shot by a bb gun or being zapped by a moderately strong stun gun?

who knows? not me :noes:

Gripper
05-27-2007, 07:13 PM
http://www.safetygearhq.com/

Busyman™
05-27-2007, 07:14 PM
So basically I figure I would like some sort of protection when I move into my condo in a few months. Not that I'm moving into a bad neighborhood at all, but you know.. If a situation arises I would like to have some sort of means to scare off/ protect myself. Also some piece of mind.

I figure some typed of range attack would be nice.

So if someone was approaching you and you busted out your real looking C02 powered BB gun.. do you think it could repel them If you unloaded on em?

Just curious.. Maybe Ill get a beating stick... or a katana.

I don't know where you live but first off, buy a real gun and learn how to shoot and properly care for it.

Shooting someone with a BB gun will make them angry and they will probably rush you. BB guns shot just feel like bee stings and nothing more.

Also have a plan if you are going to have a gun. Are you trying to protect your life or your possessions or both?

The fact you even wanted use a BB gun makes you sound a little clueless.

If you don't want a gun (a real gun) then a stick or knife is good. A katana would be dumb 1) if you don't know how to use it and 2) are in really close quarters. A stun gun doesn't seem bad either but I never owned one (I have used one though).

Remember you are trying protect yourself from death, not be Rambo or a samurai.:dry:

Hairbautt
05-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Aim for the eye.

Good thread, btw/ :happy:

Busyman™
05-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Aim for the eye.

Good thread, btw/ :happy:

True if he hits them in the eye with a BB, it just might work.:lol:

Snee
05-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Don't be a pussy.

Get a flame-thrower.

Hairbautt
05-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Grenades work well, too. Just don't stand too close.

And remember to duck.

:dabs:

WHRST
05-27-2007, 09:30 PM
from guns to grenades huh...

brotherdoobie
05-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Shooting someone with a BB gun will make them angry and they will probably rush you. BB guns shot just feel like bee stings and nothing more.

You have never been shot by one...I take it? :dabs:

-bd

Mr JP Fugley
05-27-2007, 10:45 PM
It depends what you are wearing.

If someone is wearing a thick coat they will barely feel a BB gun, however the noise it makes may convince them to fire their own weapon. Or stab the prick in the eye with a knife.

Seriously, go for decent security. Don't buy a gun unless you are willing to kill another human being to protect your belongings.

MediaSlayer
05-27-2007, 11:11 PM

-bd

I agree, bd.

I have owned a 15 shot repeater very similar to this one (http://www.daisy.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16155&cat=259&page=1) for years, and let me tell you, I would dread getting shot with it. The specs say it's maximum power is 420 feet per second, but when you first pierce the C02 cartridge the first few shots come out noticeably harder. They don't tell you that. These guns nowadays are not toys anymore, they can kill, and this model is semi-automatic meaning you can fire 15 bbs as fast as you can pull the trigger. 15bbs traveling faster than 420 feet per second at close range aimed at someone's face could easily stop an attacker in an emergency situation if you aim correctly and he has no gun himself or something to block with. But just like a real gun, you could face murder charges. Mine is only for defense, btw.

Mr JP Fugley
05-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Tell that to the judge after you shoot a man in the face 15 times.

Mr JP Fugley
05-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Then tell it to him and his mates when he comes back to get you, coz he knows where you live.

Mr JP Fugley
05-27-2007, 11:22 PM
You people are unreal, do you actually live in the same World.

Smith
05-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Stun Gun.

Busyman™
05-28-2007, 06:44 AM

-bd

I agree, bd.

I have owned a 15 shot repeater very similar to this one (http://www.daisy.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16155&cat=259&page=1) for years, and let me tell you, I would dread getting shot with it. The specs say it's maximum power is 420 feet per second, but when you first pierce the C02 cartridge the first few shots come out noticeably harder. They don't tell you that. These guns nowadays are not toys anymore, they can kill, and this model is semi-automatic meaning you can fire 15 bbs as fast as you can pull the trigger. 15bbs traveling faster than 420 feet per second at close range aimed at someone's face could easily stop an attacker in an emergency situation if you aim correctly and he has no gun himself or something to block with. But just like a real gun, you could face murder charges. Mine is only for defense, btw.

Ahh so BB guns have come a long way. I have been shot by a BB gun and it stung but that was all. It was in my skin but it didn't go through organs or anything.

I can't see using that for protecting my family at home. Either go for stopping power or do fuck all. Knowing someone has BB gun isn't exactly scary. Knowing someone has a real gun will make another think again and go elsewhere.

MediaSlayer
05-28-2007, 07:51 AM
airgun power is measured in fps, how many fps was the bb gun that shot you? hehe, i guess you didn't have time to check :P how silly of me sorry busygun man

crosman has this (http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1085) new semi-automatic model that operates off of bigger CO2 cartridges for added power. it can fire 12 pellets, which are heavier than bbs, at 625 fps(190m/s). that's not a bee i would want to get stung with, but that's just me. i'm not as tough as you.

and back on topic,

i would recommend pepper spray or something else. as someone has already pointed out, what are the chances they are gonna try to break in your house without a real gun? they will certainly be threatened by your fake one and try to kill you.

Cheese
05-28-2007, 07:53 AM
I got shot in the eye point blank by my sister's bb gun once (it shot plastic pellets). Luckily I blinked but for about a week or so I had red dot on the white of my eye. Other than that it didn't slow me down much (ie if I had wanted I could have kicked shite out of my mate who did it but instead I made him buy me beers).

Mr JP Fugley
05-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Either go for stopping power or do fuck all. Knowing someone has BB gun isn't exactly scary. Knowing someone has a real gun will make another think again and go elsewhere.

Indeed, if a criminal mastermind who has researched your security measures is burglaring your house then the 6 semi-automatic weapons is probably the way to go. However if it's the more common opportunist thief then his pre-planning probably isn't so thorough.

Do you know why you people are so effected by terrorism. It's because you have a predeliction to be. Watching too many movies and wanting to be in them. You crave the fucking melodrama.

Seriously, ask yourself this. Are you willing to kill another human being, or be killed to protect property. If you're not willing to pull the trigger and live with the consequences don't buy a gun. If you're not willing to move home don't point a gun at a violent criminal who knows your address.

CrabGirl
05-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I regularly Tazer my boyfriend in the heart. It keeps him in his place.

Sextent
05-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Extreme Massage Therapy ftw.

CrabGirl
05-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Totally. "What do you mean in a minute. You'll do it NOW" Dzzzzzzt!

Heh. heh. hehhhh.

/me slopes off to Newquay for the night chuckling at Tazered Balls.

Sextent
05-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Presumably you take them with you whenever you leave him on his own. Only returning them (as a loan really) when you desire to be pleasured.

Busyman™
05-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Either go for stopping power or do fuck all. Knowing someone has BB gun isn't exactly scary. Knowing someone has a real gun will make another think again and go elsewhere.

Indeed, if a criminal mastermind who has researched your security measures is burglaring your house then the 6 semi-automatic weapons is probably the way to go. However if it's the more common opportunist thief then his pre-planning probably isn't so thorough.

Do you know why you people are so effected by terrorism. It's because you have a predeliction to be. Watching too many movies and wanting to be in them. You crave the fucking melodrama.

Seriously, ask yourself this. Are you willing to kill another human being, or be killed to protect property. If you're not willing to pull the trigger and live with the consequences don't buy a gun. If you're not willing to move home don't point a gun at a violent criminal who knows your address.

Yeah we don't have Disney/Home Alone criminals over here. It's great to think that every person that breaks into a home just wants to take your shit and go away but alas we have lower morons who even after doing so, want to murder the folks in their home or even rape a 70-year old lady thus making the man hunt for the criminal more special. I'll keep with reality and not what I wish is reality.

@slim- gun ownership may be considered superfluous by some but for me, it is also idle. I only take a gun out on occassion for the shooting range. I also have stopping power for protecting my family....when and if I need it.

I have owned a legal firemarm for over a decade and have never had to use it on a person.

I hope it stays that way.

Sextent
05-28-2007, 07:05 PM

Yeah we don't have Disney/Home Alone criminals over here. It's great to think that every person that breaks into a home just wants to take your shit and go away but alas we have lower morons who even after doing so, want to murder the folks in their home or even rape a 70-year old lady thus making the man hunt for the criminal more special. I'll keep with reality and not what I wish is reality.

@slim- gun ownership may be considered superfluous by some but for me, it is also idle. I only take a gun out on occassion for the shooting range. I also have stopping power for protecting my family....when and if I need it.

I have owned a legal firemarm for over a decade and have never had to use it on a person.

That's the point ffs. If you are going to pull a gun on a person you better be prepared to kill them. Because if you shoot them in the face with a bb then you're getting it. Either there and then or later when they come back for you.

There's nothing Disney about that, that's the way it works. Not by chasing someone away with a bb gun. Oh and whatever you think, whether it's your version of reality or not, it's people with guns in their home who elevate your levels of injury and fatality from guns. Either by people shooting themselves, or their family. Or by encouraging criminals to do it for them.

Busyman™
05-28-2007, 08:44 PM

That's the point ffs. If you are going to pull a gun on a person you better be prepared to kill them. Because if you shoot them in the face with a bb then you're getting it. Either there and then or later when they come back for you.

There's nothing Disney about that, that's the way it works. Not by chasing someone away with a bb gun. Oh and whatever you think, whether it's your version of reality or not, it's people with guns in their home who elevate your levels of injury and fatality from guns. Either by people shooting themselves, or their family. Or by encouraging criminals to do it for them.

I am prepared to kill someone that threatens my or family's lives.:1eye:

I am not going to fanny about with a criminals intentions either by being overly passive. A person on my land is one thing, a person in my home is another. A person breaking in my home is automatically assumed a danger.

This person goes through the trouble of breaking in knowing there are people inside and hears an alarm and still pushes forward so he has the right to fuck right off with a bullet wherever one can make it into his body.

I do not have time to hash out whether they want a TV, money, my life, or a place to sleep. That's just mad talk. People can be right fucking evil and I have seen this first-hand.

That's the way it works. It sounds like your reality and mine are different. I just happen to know what I'm talking about for this neck o' the woods and apparently, your neck o' the theme park is different.

Sextent
05-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I live in Glasgow. It's really serene here.

I'm agreeing with you, idiot. I'm telling the guy not to fuck about with a toy gun. Either don't have one at all or get a real one.

Your view is he should get a real one, mine is that he shouldn't. However our advice is the same, don't fuck about with a toy one.

Oh and the last time anyone looked (UN) "SCOTLAND is the most violent country in the developed world, according to a United Nations report."

Guess which part of Scotland is the most violent. Go on, bet you can.

Proper Bo
05-28-2007, 09:03 PM
You're spot on, Glasgow is like the single nicest (and safest) place in britain. fact.

edit: jp hadn't posted when I was typing that, the cawk.

Sextent
05-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Not like Washington which is violent as fuck. Must be, you need 6 guns to live there.

Proper Bo
05-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Not like Washington which is violent as fuck. Must be, you need 6 guns to live there.

You probably would, it's right by scumderland.

Sextent
05-28-2007, 09:10 PM
:drumthing:

I've been there actually, it was full of wee lassies and gaylords.

Proper Bo
05-28-2007, 09:14 PM
:drumthing:

I've been there actually, it was full of wee lassies with knives and gaylords with knives.

Fixed.

We have a knife crime problem in the north east now, apparently.

Sextent
05-28-2007, 09:18 PM
You can solve that dead easy, get a gun.

Then you have more firepower than the criminals.

Busyman™
05-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Yeah I'm glad I don't live in Washington.

Busyman™
05-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I live in Glasgow. It's really serene here.

I'm agreeing with you, idiot. I'm telling the guy not to fuck about with a toy gun. Either don't have one at all or get a real one.

Your view is he should get a real one, mine is that he shouldn't. However our advice is the same, don't fuck about with a toy one.

Oh and the last time anyone looked (UN) "SCOTLAND is the most violent country in the developed world, according to a United Nations report."

Guess which part of Scotland is the most violent. Go on, bet you can.

Tbh, it's quite serene where I live. I just know that serene can turn otherwise no matter where you may live.

It could be the wandering vagrant or whateverthefuck. If I am sufficiently threatened I will try to put 'im down.

"That's the point, ffs" is a nice way to solidify agreement, btw, idiot.