PDA

View Full Version : Why does gravity and acceleration feel and act the same?

Skerven
05-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Because they are the same.

Skerven
05-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Or rather, because gravity is a deluded concept. There is only acceleration. The Earth doesn't pull us down with "gravitrons" or unseen "gravity waves"; the Earth is accelerating upwards at 32 feet per second squared.

Prove me wrong.

Proper Bo
05-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Gravity is a force. Acceleration is a change in velocity.

fact.

Snee
05-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Or rather, because gravity is a deluded concept. There is only acceleration. The Earth doesn't pull us down with "gravitrons" or unseen "gravity waves"; the Earth is accelerating upwards at 32 feet per second squared.

Prove me wrong.

Wait, what?

The Earth would have to be accelerating, not just moving, in every direction at once, then, seeing as how gravity works the same all round.

Who blew it up, and why was I not informed :dry:

Skerven
05-29-2007, 12:30 AM
I am not saying that gravity=acceleration, but that the expansion (acceleration) of matter (e.g. the earth) results in gravity.

All energy and therefore matter expands with the universal expansion of space-time, does it not?

Snee
05-29-2007, 12:44 AM
Err, all space expands between the particles.

And what data there is points to gravity being a separate force, seeing as how stars stay together within a galaxy, while galaxies drift apart as space expands.

Skerven
05-29-2007, 12:58 AM
What is gravity to you, then? You cannot define it as "the attraction between two pieces of matter" because that is a subjective observation and not a true definition.

MaxOverlord
05-29-2007, 01:07 AM

Prove me wrong.

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 02:07 AM
I am not saying that gravity=acceleration

Actually you did.:ermm:

Virtualbody1234
05-29-2007, 03:56 AM
The Earth sucks?

jimbo12345
05-29-2007, 04:01 AM
i have a question....someone told me we are moving at about 60,000 miles an hour or something. Why do we not feel any of that? If the earth was to suddenly stop,would we all fly forwards like when a bus brakes?

Virtualbody1234
05-29-2007, 04:27 AM
:frusty:

Skerven
05-29-2007, 04:31 AM

Prove me wrong.

Last edited by MaxOverlord : Today at 02:12 AM. Reason: Too tired to get into this right now.

:(

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 09:50 AM
i have a question....someone told me we are moving at about 60,000 miles an hour or something. Why do we not feel any of that? If the earth was to suddenly stop,would we all fly forwards like when a bus brakes?

We'd float off into space.

thewizeard
05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Thats because they are both cosmic apples only growing on different trees.

It would surely be better not to assume that we all understand what gravity or acceleration is.

Describe first that and any possible relationship between them. That way we shall have a chance of seeing if your statement is correct or that you might have made an incorrect statement ...and that I strongly suspect.

Chip Monk
05-29-2007, 12:34 PM
If the Earth stopped moving very suddenly the forces involved would rip it apart so the question is meaningless.

If that didn't happen (for some mental reason) we certainly wouldn't float off into space. Gravity has nothing whatsoever to do with whether an object is moving or not. If the Earth stopped moving suddenly then everything on it would keep moving in the same direction and speed as they were before. Think of star trek and inertial dampening. If that didn't work then when the Enterprise shot off at high speed Captain Kirk's inertia would keep him in the same place and the back wall would run into him. The same works in reverse.

Gravity is proportionate to the mass of two objects and their distance apart. So the bigger they are and the closer together the higher the force. It's not really a force as such anyway. It's more like the mass of the object warping space time around it and creating a gravity well for other things to "fall into".

Acceleration is a change in velocity. Given that velocity is vector, then either a change in speed (up or down) or a change in direction, would be acceleration. We know that Force = Mass x Acceleration, therefore Acceleration is equal to the Force being used Divided by the mass of the object.

Acceleration due to Gravity is always 9.81m/sec/sec. Therefore we also know that the force being exerted is increased as the mass of the object increases. As discussed earlier.

What was the question again.

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 01:14 PM
We'd all just implode.

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 01:16 PM
If the Earth stopped moving very suddenly the forces involved would rip it apart so the question is meaningless.

If that didn't happen (for some mental reason) we certainly wouldn't float off into space. Gravity has nothing whatsoever to do with whether an object is moving or not. If the Earth stopped moving suddenly then everything on it would keep moving in the same direction and speed as they were before. Think of star trek and inertial dampening. If that didn't work then when the Enterprise shot off at high speed Captain Kirk's inertia would keep him in the same place and the back wall would run into him. The same works in reverse.

Gravity is proportionate to the mass of two objects and their distance apart. So the bigger they are and the closer together the higher the force. It's not really a force as such anyway. It's more like the mass of the object warping space time around it and creating a gravity well for other things to "fall into".

Acceleration is a change in velocity. Given that velocity is vector, then either a change in speed (up or down) or a change in direction, would be acceleration. We know that Force = Mass x Acceleration, therefore Acceleration is equal to the Force being used Divided by the mass of the object.

Acceleration due to Gravity is always 9.81m/sec/sec. Therefore we also know that the force being exerted is increased as the mass of the object increases. As discussed earlier.

I loike Properly Ho Loike's answer betterer.

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Thats because they are both cosmic apples only growing on different trees.

It would surely be better not to assume that we all understand what gravity or acceleration is.

Describe first that and any possible relationship between them. That way we shall have a chance of seeing if your statement is correct or that you might have made an incorrect statement ...and that I strongly suspect.

It isn't correct though.

I wonder how many people looked at the first post and said, "hmmmm he's got a point.":lol:

jimbo12345
05-29-2007, 01:35 PM

Chip Monk, good stuff. i feel i learnt today.

Chip Monk
05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Like the BBC I'm here to both entertain and educate.

Proper Bo
05-29-2007, 01:59 PM
and like channel 5, I do the same but make it easier to understand.

thewizeard
05-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Like the BBC I'm here to both entertain and educate.

For that we are extremely grateful..really :)

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 02:35 PM

jimbo12345
05-29-2007, 02:42 PM

Chip Monk
05-29-2007, 02:52 PM

Doing this via the gift of talking pish.

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
We'd all disintegrate.

jimbo12345
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
ok, but why is our hair not blown backwards with such speed. How much faster would the world need to speed up to do this, or doesnt it matter.

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
ok, but why is our hair not blown backwards with such speed. How much faster would the world need to speed up to do this, or doesnt it matter.

You are within the gravitional field loike cuz uv da spinnin' uv de ert.

If de ert sped up loike, the gravitons would be worser.

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 04:36 PM
We'd all discombobulate. Fo' really tho'.:yes:

Sextent
05-29-2007, 04:43 PM

Which speed, the speed of the Earth revolving on it's access, or the speed at which it is orbiting the sun.

Chip Monk missed a bit. If the Earth stopped spinning then your motion would be at a tangent to that rotation (not as some people thing, up into the air). Given that you are so small compared to the curvature of the earth you would really just go along the ground. That would be predictable and constant, you would always go in the same direction, at a tangent to the the spin.

If however the earth stopped moving along it's orbit around the sun, then you would move in a tangent to that orbit. So It would depend where you were relative to the orbit. If you were effectively at the back of the Earth, relative to the orbit then you would hit the Earth when it stopped and you didn't. If you were at the front then you would spiral into space, you would leave the earth because it had stopped, but you would still have the spin. You wouldn't spiral relative to the Earth, as it was still spinning but you would relative to other things.

If both motions stopped it would get really crazy.

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 04:57 PM

....as opposed to just one of the motions.:shutup:

Virtualbody1234
05-29-2007, 05:11 PM

Just stick your head out the window.

Busyman™
05-29-2007, 05:18 PM
We'd all be vivisected.

Sextent
05-29-2007, 07:46 PM

....as opposed to just one of the motions.:shutup:

Yes, I thought that was perfectly clear,

Skerven
05-29-2007, 07:47 PM
I Found A Website That Will Explain Perpetually Expanding Matter As The Cause Of Gravity In More Detail:

http://mikeschuler.web.aplus.net/index.html

Particularly The "Light Does Not Bend" And The "Acceleration Is Gravity" Pages.

Have Fun! This Is Not Easy Physics!

Sextent
05-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Why would you put a capital at the start of every word.

An also I hope you meant the "Particularly The "Light Does Not Bend"" pun.

Snee
05-30-2007, 01:13 AM
Welcome to my web site. This is the story of how I accidently discovered the Secret Of The Universe while looking for something else.

"There I was, busy making myself a new tinfoil hat since the aliens stoled my old one, when..."

Snee
05-30-2007, 01:15 AM
Aristotal, lol.

thewizeard
05-30-2007, 04:34 AM
Welcome to my web site. This is the story of how I accidently discovered the Secret Of The Universe while looking for something else.

"There I was, busy making myself a new tinfoil hat since the aliens stoled my old one, when..."

Happened to me too, this time in the cellar. I was also busy..trying out that tinfoil hat.. that I had just recovered from my new energy/matter transport device (time machine)... when there was a knock at the door...