PDA

View Full Version : leewar, create user accounts

ibnahmed
05-29-2007, 08:26 PM
i dont know about this, but someone kind of mentioned that u can create user accounts on your leeware box so that different people can log in.

this idea becomes handy if u are planning to rent your leeware to someone. u are not gonna give him your root account, only a username for security purposes.

does anyone know whether this is true or not. if true, how to do it.

actually, i am trying to mess around with it. under webmin/ webmin users. there are lots of settings and i need this person to only log in via ftp, vncviewer transfer files but cant change passwords. what settings can u recommend.

conway
05-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Need the exact same thing!!!!

Loris
05-29-2007, 08:58 PM
u can start with
useradd NAME
passwd NAME
usermod -d HOME-DIR NAME

for more info
useradd --usage
usermod --usage

naq
05-29-2007, 09:01 PM
To create a new user: useradd username
To set the password for the user: passwd username
You can do this in Putty as root. To see all the commands about users type user and press Tab twice. To see how to use a command like useradd, type: useradd --help

ibnahmed
05-29-2007, 09:22 PM
thanks for your help. these users will not have access to change root password or mess up with the account?

naq
05-29-2007, 09:34 PM
No, users can't do anything harmful to the system. They are also confined to their home directories, most likely /home/username/. They can run all the softwares you've installed such as vnc, ftp, wine, etc.

haydeno
05-30-2007, 04:38 AM
u think u could split a leeware 3 ways or would it crap out

conway
05-30-2007, 05:16 AM
I found all they need is access to the gui.. really. If they need anything else they can contact me and I will change it.
And I gave them ftp, not sftp access. With the stp acces they can only dl, not delete, from a certain folder. Perfect.

MrVictorRivers
05-30-2007, 06:21 AM
I found all they need is access to the gui.. really. If they need anything else they can contact me and I will change it.
And I gave them ftp, not sftp access. With the stp acces they can only dl, not delete, from a certain folder. Perfect.

this is kinda off topic...but....anyone know how i can run a speed test on my linux seedbx?

naq
05-30-2007, 06:27 AM
this is kinda off topic...but....anyone know how i can run a speed test on my linux seedbx?

You'll need to install firefox and flash.

MrVictorRivers
05-30-2007, 06:41 AM

You'll need to install firefox and flash.

thanx naq...since i have wine on the linux server....can i use the same firefox and flash that i would use in say....xp?

naq
05-30-2007, 06:44 AM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-some-one-know-run-speedtest-leeware-184880/?highlight=flash