PDA

View Full Version : Movie Feed. Private trackers.

kuty
06-04-2007, 06:35 PM
I am located in a community that has FIOS and I was one of the first to get the largest pipe they were willing to give me.

I discovered tvtorrents.com and am rapidly building a nice collection.

I found XMBC and while I wish it was already ported to linux, I found an old Xbox and linked it to a few 500gig hard drives on an old PC.

When buddies come over and see quick access to tons of content, all beautifully arrainges and organized, I have a huge grin on my face.

I have been using torrentspy to find my movie torrents and tvtorrents for tv shows. I use utorrent and make sure I have a share ratio of at least 1.5 before removing. In fact I am up in the top 200 users at tvtorrents in credits.

I decide on shows and use RSS in utorrent to automate the process and clean it up every once in a while. Ideally, I'd love to get an RSS feed of movies (not the cam-style, only dvd rips) that have done reasonably well as defined by some objective measure (either box office, stars from critics, etc.) - I like the 80-20 rule, so if some system can ensure that I get most of the top movies, I'll splurge on the hard drives to download the rest. But I certainly do not want ALL the junk that is out there. Anyone know of such a feed?

Anyway - Now I found this site, and I understand there are some invite-only sites! Why didn't I hear about this before? I was wondering if anyone can educate me on how these sites are different from the public ones and if they are worth trying to join.

This is a great site and I appreciate all the time people put in to share their knowledge. Thanks!

Kuty

pipsta
06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
If a site is invite only it must have some pretty good stuff or must be too popular to have registrations open, either that or its a site just for a few selected peeps, sites like demonoid are definately worth joining, check the Pagerank on the sites and if its got a PR3 or higher it is popular :D

fstrulz
06-04-2007, 07:22 PM
One of the advantages of joining a private tracker is that your chances of getting suited by the RIAA or MPAA is lower compared to public trackers.

The best private tracker to make start with is TorrentLeech. It has a lot of great content (DVDRs, TV Eps, Apps, etc) and really fast speeds, which will make your FIOS connection worth it.

Just PM me your email and I'll send you an invite. :)

clubzz
06-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Dont think TL is THAT safe (if you're talking about chances of getting sui'd by RIAA or MPAA) But on the other hand, wich tracker is nowadays.

fstrulz
06-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Dont think TL is THAT safe (if you're talking about chances of getting sui'd by RIAA or MPAA) But on the other hand, wich tracker is nowadays.

I didn't say TL is safe. I was stating which has a lower chance of anyone getting suited: downloading from public or private trackers. :rolleyes:

clubzz
06-04-2007, 08:14 PM

I didn't say TL is safe. I was stating which has a lower chance of anyone getting suited: downloading from public or private trackers. :rolleyes:

Ok

kuty
06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
I guess I should state that this is my opinion first and my assumption is that no one has gotten sued for tv/movie torrents.

I recall a while back there were people getting sued for music. But ever since the first few hundred, I haven't heard more. All the news has been about DRM free music by Apple soon to be followed by many more.

Truth is, I would be happy to pay $X/mo for a torrent site with unlimited RSS feeds by tv show and movie "tags" (top X, comedy, whatever) instead of my current FIOS TV bill.

And in my opinion something along those lines is exactly what is going to happen. Probably a few different business models for each media.

Right now, a first run movie can command a price per movie. Once it is released to channels like 'Stars' maybe it is lumped into a monthly price, etc.