PDA

View Full Version : Does this look odd...or is it just me? 100Mb Uplink....

MrVictorRivers
06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3639/speedtestfs6.jpg

Why is the download sooo much lower than the upload? Can anyone give me idea? is there something wrong with ports? im clueless....

kabir
06-11-2007, 11:09 AM
if u were downloading something while u performed the test, mayb ur downstream bandwidth was used by tht.

TheManMKD
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Nah...the thing is that speedtest.net uses small files to test dl/ul.
So actually, when you reach 500kB/s the test file has already been downloaded, so... you got my point :)

Memphy
06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
the downloaded files which determine you download speed are much smaller than the ones that determine your upload speed

MrVictorRivers
06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
i c...thanx alot.....

Daniel
06-11-2007, 07:48 PM
First off, the website talks about their own services as "Speedtest.net is a broadband connection analysis tool" which indicates to me that they're talking about broadband home connections. 100MBit/s uplink are rather unusual for a home connection, therefore their bandwidths for single users might just be capped somewhere. Furthermore, it's very unlikely that you will reach any kind of transfer rate close to your maximum with only one thread, multiple ones like filesharing tools provide, can help max out your whole bandwidth better. Also, the larger the data to be transferred, the more accurate are the results.

So much for your upstream, now about the slow downstream. Have you tried using different servers and do you always get similar results? If not, this server you tried might just be working at full capacity already and will slow you down. One possible cause could be some application interfering on your PC, that might be a firewall, a virus scanner or something else that's for example using all your CPU time. You have the best chances for reaching a good result with as little applications running as possible while you do your speed test.

MrVictorRivers
06-11-2007, 07:56 PM
thanx alot daniel i will look into it. when i bit torrent files, the largest download speed i have gotten is about 4 or 5 Mb/s, and the same holds tru for upload 4 or 5 Mb/s.....

this just doesnt SEEM right to me....I never forwarded my ports manually....does this seem like it could hav somthing to do with this?

Daniel
06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
You see, now we're getting somewhere ;) 4-5 Mb/s means a bandwidth of 32-40 MBit/s or 32768-40960 KBit/s which is probably close to 50% of your total bandwidth of 100 MBit/s including overhead transfer and might even be higher if you're up- and downloading at the same time.

Naturally, this could be better, but you now know that larger speeds are indeed possible.

thejosher
06-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Also, ports have nothing to do with a download test. That's all over HTTP.

sketchyca
06-12-2007, 01:06 AM
use a real test.
http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/

MrVictorRivers
06-30-2007, 11:23 AM
thanx alot mates...for all your help and advice....i appreciate it