PDA

View Full Version : DL same file from 2 sites

mforcex
06-26-2007, 03:59 AM
What happens if you download the same file via 2 DIFFERENT torrent files, but you are getting the same files? How does utorrent handle this?

The simple way I know of is to select half the files to d/l from 1 torrent file, half from the other, but I wonder if there is a way to do this together?

digitalmayhem
06-26-2007, 04:09 AM
Why would you want to?

You can download the complete file from one site and then click the torrent link from the other site but navigate it to save in the same place as where the file downloaded from the first site is.

Download from where your ratio is better and seed to where you need a ratio boost.

mforcex
06-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Why would you want to?

You can download the complete file from one site and then click the torrent link from the other site but navigate it to save in the same place as where the file downloaded from the first site is.

Download from where your ratio is better and seed to where you need a ratio boost.
This does not answer my question.

deuce6000
06-26-2007, 04:41 AM
Yes and no but probably only sometimes like Saturday and Tuesday and every other week on Wednesday.

qwertypoiuyt
06-26-2007, 04:59 AM
I've never done this, but in Azureus you can have multiple tracker URLs for one torrent. I don't know if it works or does what you want it to.

Brenya
06-26-2007, 05:11 AM
Yeah if they are the exact same files, then... it wouldn't be possible. the bittorrent client will just say "torrent already in list. want to add trackers?" you click yes and you add a tracker to the torrent file.

i think.

dude just try it out yourself if you really want to. be sure to come back and share!

sense
06-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Well you can have multiple trackers within a torrent. It seems to me you are trying to bond (like bonding multiple T1, DSL lines) 2 torrent sites to obtain more speed correct? Each torrent has its own passkey and hash, I fail to see how you could accomplish this. Maybe there is a way and maybe there isn't but I am pretty sure that a mainstream client doesn't exist with this feature.

Edit: My assumption is based on private trackers, I am actually going to go try this heh.

Edit 2: I loaded 2 torrents (2 different music sites, same album, same scene release down to each file). Started them at the same time, every now and then I got a bunch of hash failures but the file eventually finished just fine. Utorrent opens them up as seperate files, I see no way of bonding them. Wouldn't adding the second torrents tracker into the first torrent work just the same way?

Brenya
06-26-2007, 05:21 AM
Oh, I was referring to public one's :dabs:

mforcex
06-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Right, with private trackers you can't do it... that's why I'm saying 2 totally different torrent files, but they are downloading the same files to the same directory.

sense
06-26-2007, 05:45 AM
I don't think there is a way to bond like that within Utorrent, the best way would be to add the tracker/trackers of the second torrent.

Private trackers seemed to have worked BUT I got credited 60+ megs (total size of the torrent) to each site! It was more like a 35/25 split, weird. It was like I downloaded 120-130 MB of data when I only downloaded 66 or so. I wouldn't advise trying this on private trackers unless you want your download to count twice :wacko: haha.

mforcex
06-26-2007, 05:55 AM
I can't understand too well the magical hash stuff these people talk about, but I am under the impression the site can tell you are using 2 trackers and will ban you?

Brenya
06-26-2007, 06:03 AM
hash is like the identity of the torrent. like a mac address for a computer.

... i think