PDA

View Full Version : My Rant on Uploading/Seeding?

G-Force
06-28-2007, 03:19 AM
I don't understand why people dont upload? 99% of people on the net don't pay for there uploads so why not just seed the torrent files for ever? I use around 10 different torrent sits and constantly seed to all of them. I use Utorrent and have 3 different labels set up:

- Downloading
- Seeding
- Downloads To Be Completed - I use this for files that are half completed that i have stopped due to running out of bandwidth or because they aren't urgent.

So the files i am seeding don't get in the way of other stuff i am looking at. So what is the problem with people why not just seed? Imagine how much of a nicer place the torrent world would be if everybody just did there bit.

slimdogp
06-28-2007, 03:46 AM
Sounds simple enough, but there are some valid reasons.

Take a person with a 100gig HD. So they DL a 4.5GB DVDR. Now they have to unrar it to .iso. Theres another 4.5GB. Mount it to burn it, taking up more temp space depending on method.

I think alot of time people don't have the space to keep the .rars around forever.

Impatience also plays a part, if a torrent goes 12 hours with no activity, many users will give up on it and delete it.

Oh, plus people are greedy bastards...

Bo0ddha
06-28-2007, 03:52 AM
This is kinda similar to a question I had today. How long do most of you seed your torrents? Not counting trying to buffer an account. How long do you leave something up to seed for? If it gains a lot of traffic do you leave it up to try and get some extra ratio from it?

I usually leave something go until 1:1 unless it's taking more than a week. If something is getting a lot of traffic I'll usually let it go on until it dies down.

necromantic
06-28-2007, 03:54 AM
Imagine how much of a nicer place the torrent world would be if everybody just did there bit.

It is a very nice world here in the private communities like ftn, sct, bitmeTV, oink, etc. I barely ever find a download that doesn't max out my connection :D

When people fail to seed they deserve what they get, public trackers.

eLucid
06-28-2007, 04:31 AM
I would love to seed forever, and I did while at University, but my residential ISP imposes bandwidth restrictions. I'm limited to 60GB/month, so I max that out and then have to stop. I agree with necromantic though, the torrent world really is an extremely nice place, but you have to be on the right sites.

mforcex
06-28-2007, 04:35 AM
rars are a bitch to keep, plain and simple. unless you want to buy us hard drives, we will stop seeding.

upGrayde
06-28-2007, 05:16 AM
usenet

learn it, love it

redMonster
06-28-2007, 05:40 AM
How can you say that 99% of people don't pay for their uploads?

G-Force
06-28-2007, 06:02 AM
How can you say that 99% of people don't pay for their uploads?

It was just an exaggerated figure of speech, but i think its fair to say it is more than the majority of users don't pay for uploads.

DVito
06-28-2007, 06:31 AM
I seed for a long time (3-4 months) on average unless its a huge dvdr or something, i only seed for a week or two. i have 50gb hd on my laptop :(

Adster
06-28-2007, 07:40 AM
your a little wrong on the 99% lots of idiots in Aust have Bigpond as their ISP (because they are a monopoly on some places where you can actually get ADSL) there also a massive rip off but they charge you for uploads probably quarter of the idiots in Aust have them as a ISP

Daniel
06-28-2007, 08:03 AM
How long I seed depends on the tracker. Some have slot restrictions and if I meet them, my uTorrent stops at a ratio of 1.25 or 96 hours. On other trackers I may just seed for a few weeks until my client reaches its maximum of a 4.0 ratio and stops seeding.

But to answer your other question: until 2006 there existed no broadband flatrates in Austria. Can you say 15GB traffic a month? In any case, this makes sharing virtually impossible. I'm sure that there are other countries or regions with such limitations.

So this may be one of many explanations why people don't keep seeding, especially older torrents. I have to say that downloading at a tenth speed of what I'm used to can be tiresome but in the end I get what I want in most cases. I don't get your point because it's never been this way on any tracker I've been active on - maybe we're on complete different ones then ;)

Rip The Jacker
06-28-2007, 10:24 AM
rars are a bitch to keep, plain and simple. unless you want to buy us hard drives, we will stop seeding.
And there you have it. All I download now are full DVDRs, I can't leave those rar's laying around forever. 4.5gb in rars, you extract it, another 4.5gb... I only have a 160gb HDD....

bloodhell
06-28-2007, 10:45 AM
i keep seeding files that are not rar'ed forever ... and all those with rar files i hit and run ..