PDA

View Full Version : Torrent Sites....WTF?

tindron
06-29-2007, 01:22 PM
i have noticed something in the last few months...torrents sites are losin the plot...

FTN....not what it used to be, by a long, long way

ScT....this will sound strange but....too fast....everyone has 100mbit servers and the like....u dl a dvdr in 20mins it seeds ok for 10 mins more then dies a death coz seeded out

WB....used to be amazin...but its gone very poor

TD....boring beyond belief

FSC....NO leechers....gone very poor too

scc....like a machine, so boring and no community at all

i could go on, but i get so many anouncements about server bills and donating all the time, i would love to know where it all goes, and dont tell me it all goes on servers i aint that stupid.

torrent sites are becoming the mgm,universal,dreamworks of the torrent world, big money machines that do as they like without regard for the point of bittorrent....sharing.

and dont start me on invites, people beggin for Sct,FTN etc...

its all makin me sick....

BitTorrent is not what it used to be........sorry it just is not.

:(:(:(:(:(

shineget
06-29-2007, 01:36 PM
then go back to the public sites, be my guest, they're still going strong.

redMonster
06-29-2007, 01:40 PM
BitTorrent is not just about the six trackers which you mentioned. There are a lot of great trackers.

Arff
06-29-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure that I agree. Bandwidth is quite expensive for popular torrent sites. Regardless, within reason they can do what they like with the donations. If you're worried about what they'll do with it then don't donate! Most sites don't insist on it anyway.

Furthermore, if you really don't like it then don't use it. Go back to buying everything or using kazaa or something! Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

MaAiFu
06-29-2007, 02:23 PM
dont know what every1 is being so harsh, the guy does makes some very good points about the sites he mentioned. can't we have a discussion without ppl bashing everyone opinions? what are we in fucking primary school?

ptp5352
06-29-2007, 02:29 PM
yeh, hes right, a lot of trackers are failing. In my opinion its because there are way too many 0day trackers, therefore very few people are loyal to just one or two. If theres a free leech somewhere everyone is going to go there and forget about the others etc

seppypom
06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Because everyone thinks they can do it better, or becuase they think its fun.
Been there done that it stopped being fun after a while and just started to be a hassle. And while i can not speak to where the money goes on all the sites, i can tell you that every penny that we ever collected went to running the site. Between the server that ran the site and the server that where put in the ring. And still we where short most months and still paid out of pocket. And all that gets hard to take after a while.

Then you have to deal with the ppl that just bitch.

Brenya
06-29-2007, 03:05 PM
i have noticed something in the last few months...torrents sites are losin the plot...

Of what plot do you speak?

Things change. Can you elaborate on why FTN has changed in a bad way?

ScT....this will sound strange but....too fast....everyone has 100mbit servers and the like....u dl a dvdr in 20mins it seeds ok for 10 mins more then dies a death coz seeded out

You're right. That is a strange reason to not like ScT. It sounds almost two-faced. One of the main reasons people join private torrent trackers is for the speed.

How?

i could go on, but i get so many anouncements about server bills and donating all the time, i would love to know where it all goes, and dont tell me it all goes on servers i aint that stupid.

So you would keep criticizing private torrent trackers if it were not for their (alleged) misuse of donations? If anything, that would be an excuse to criticize them even more!

torrent sites are becoming the mgm,universal,dreamworks of the torrent world, big money machines that do as they like without regard for the point of bittorrent....sharing.

Prove that they are "big money machines." This to me is only an unsupported lampoon from a paranoid user. It is entertaining to think that private torrent trackers can relate even on some level to their legal opposites; I will give you that.

its all makin me sick...

I agree. If you are in one scene tracker, you are in them all. However, people have a "gotta-catch-em-all" mentality that isn't as bad as you portray it. It shouldn't "make you sick."

And while i can not speak to where the money goes on all the sites, i can tell you that every penny that we ever collected went to running the site. Between the server that ran the site and the server that where put in the ring. And still we where short most months and still paid out of pocket. And all that gets hard to take after a while.
Some people who run servers on games such as F.E.A.R. of Battlefield 2 actually make some money from the donations. I would expect that running a popular private torrent tracker isn't much different.
Although I still would not compare them to "mgm" or "universal" studios."
I personally think that some site owners should pocket a few hundred dollars every month if only as thanks for bringing together a solid community in which people shared files with each other.
Does the OP really mean to tell us that it is wrong for site administrators to get paid for making the site, buying the servers, and overall risking their freedom so that you can enjoy a couple free copyrighted products now and then?

Arff
06-29-2007, 03:33 PM
People are being harsh because he's criticising a free service. One that he could choose not to use very easily. It's also very easy to get into a 'good old days' mentality. There are some valid points e.g too many 0 days trackers but occasionally you get a new tracker such as ScN with some exclusive content and good speeds. It's a bit of a game for me anyway, I like building ratios, supporting numerous sites and working towards the elusive ScT account - I don't think there's anything wrong with that really. It might not be for everyone but then people are different, aren't they?

upGrayde
06-29-2007, 03:57 PM

i agree wholeheartedly, especially about sct, it's almost impossible to seed back to 1 if you don't have a hardcore seedbox, but you gotta like the speeds right? good thing i was in there for their crazy freeleech month+

as for wild-bytes, i don't know, i like this tracker quite a lot, they have their free leech torrents and almost everything you want is well-seeded

fsc sucks balls, too many seeders (because of very few leechers), but hey, their community rocks right?

same thing with ftn as with fsc

td and scc ARE like machines, haha

but yeah, good points guy, ignore all these dumb fucks for thinking you can't have an opinion

Tokeman
06-29-2007, 04:22 PM
sct is very easy to seed at. You just need to partial seed if your upload is not equal to your download. I usually get a 2-4 ratio on any torrent I partial seed, and I have very limited upload compared to down (home connection).

Arff
06-29-2007, 04:38 PM
No one's saying he can't have an opinion - we're just disagreeing with it. No need to descend into childish name calling upGrayde :)

DV8type
06-29-2007, 05:02 PM

All i can say is we have a dedicated team that continues to supply only the best. Many packs that are currently rls'd on other sites were released months ago on ours. We have many advantages over other trackers (too many to name here) but in the end its your choice not to use it. Truly, we are happy with our community and the people who use it. We are not for every1.

Instead of posting this waste of space you should have posted something constructive and informative in our forums or become +1 leecher on a torrent.

kapowcowpwned
06-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Everything I dl from fsc seems to have a good number of dlers and seeders and I'm almost constantly uploading there so I don't see why you are saying that nobody leechs there. As for FTN, a good number of people stopped leeching there because of the SCT free leech and now they are all using SCT because they have extremely high buffers. But once some of that runs out I won't be surprised to see people go back to FTN.

Giancana
06-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I can say that AFAIK, at least at ScN, all of the donation money goes toward server costs.

If you look at some of these sites servers [Oink's Quad Dual-Core Server + 3 more big ones] and then try to price these at a non US site, they are very expensive. Sometimes I think people forget about this and just think that the SysOps and Admins are in it for the donation money.

0-Day sites have become pretty common now, which can't really be that bad of a thing, but ScN is dedicated to try to seperate ourselves from the rest. You will see some interesting "upgrades"/improvements in the coming months, not just with v2.

TheFoX
06-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Makes me laugh that someone would complain about no leechers on a site that rewards for connection time as well as pure file ratio. No leechers means more bandwidth to download, meaning a slightly quicker download since you don't need to throttle it slightly.

Many trackers don't disabled for poor ratio, because they are aware of how difficult it is to seed with a small userbase. Why are userbases so small these days? Well, it is probably because so many giants have fallen in the last few years, and Site Owners are being much more cautious.

It is all right to slander a site because they are not attaining certain attributes, like a large leecher base, but you have to remember that it is those very sites that are trying to protect themselves by not becoming a too bigger target.

One other thing about a small community is that you often get better service from the staffers, as they are not dealing with 10's of thousands of members, but just a few thousand, of which maybe a hundred or so are core members.

Some people whine for nothing, or whine about nothing, or whine because they get something for nothing. If someone had the foresight to open a subscription based community, where you paid a monthly fee, people would join simply to brag that they pay for the service (it has already happened with TheaTorrents subscription service). It seems that there is a mentality that if you pay for it, you don't mind, but when you get something for nothing, you complain like Billy O...

digitalmayhem
06-30-2007, 05:33 AM
"i could go on, but i get so many anouncements about server bills and donating all the time, i would love to know where it all goes, and dont tell me it all goes on servers i aint that stupid"

Though I don't think that many trackers make a huge profit, who cares if they do? Have you seen how much the staff at trackers are working on the tracker? That is in addition to their families and day jobs, all so you can get your DVDSCR or TS of a movie that's still in the theatre. If they want to make a little extra money and people are willing to give, more power to them.

Skiz
06-30-2007, 06:06 AM

Well, bittorrent is the new Kazaa - all the pneubs are using it. FFS, my Grandmother uses bittorrent and she doesn't even know how to properly shut down her computer. :lol:

Reward yourself and move on to newsgroups like the rest of the old-schoolers have.

tindron
06-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Right, are some people here stupid???...i spend over $150 a month on dedicated servers, my isp etc. have uploaded over 65TB on about 8 different trackers so dont reply with your lame crap

i dont need to seed back coz im the guy your downloading from on all the best trackers.
so dont come on here saying your paying out if u have a torrent site, who`s doing your uploading, eh who u idiots...

it the general torrenter that keeps your sites going, and i for 1 am sick of your bitching,

im criticising a free service, well its not free for me like i said, so imo i have a right to moan as i pay out each month more that most do, why are some torrent people so arrogant, u think i was a n00b???

what i said is all true, its about time some of u read what i said, thought about it for more than 5 seconds and come up witha lucid, thoughtful answer/opinion.

some of the torrent community is failing, mostly the so called big sites, them,you and i as and uploader, whats wrong well im not sure, thought i could start a conversation about it, obviously not...

Skiz
06-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Right, are some people here stupid???...i spend over $150 a month on dedicated servers, my isp etc. have uploaded over 65TB on about 8 different trackers so dont reply with your lame crap

i dont need to seed back coz im the guy your downloading from on all the best trackers.
so dont come on here saying your paying out if u have a torrent site, who`s doing your uploading, eh who u idiots...

it the general torrenter that keeps your sites going, and i for 1 am sick of your bitching,

im criticising a free service, well its not free for me like i said, so imo i have a right to moan as i pay out each month more that most do, why are some torrent people so arrogant, u think i was a n00b???

what i said is all true, its about time some of u read what i said, thought about it for more than 5 seconds and come up witha lucid, thoughtful answer/opinion.

some of the torrent community is failing, mostly the so called big sites, them,you and i as and uploader, whats wrong well im not sure, thought i could start a conversation about it, obviously not...

:emo:

TheFoX
06-30-2007, 10:18 AM

You make it sound like your the only, or main, uploader. I know many uploaders. Some are 0day, and some are older, or specific, stuff uploaders.

You say that it is not free for you??? Tell me who is forcing you to fork out $150 a month!!! You have a choice. You don't have to upload. You do it because you want to.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you no longer like the torrent game, then use NewsGroups like Skizo has suggested. There's no point prolonging the agony anymore. When you fall out of love of a concept, you may as well depart.

tindron
06-30-2007, 11:21 AM
did i say i was the only uploader?, did i, you blithering idiot, and i know i choose to upload, are u stupid?

try answering the question or giving an opinion instead of having a go at me..

where is your point? where...did i say i was getting out of torrents...i was making a personal observation on torrent sites as i see it, why dont u give an opinion on torrent sites without refering to my views, which i think im entitled to...

i was just kicking the ball off...try keeping it going without your 2 year old attitude....

TheManMKD
06-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Hahaha, first time I saw that emo emoticon. God damn, that made my day. :D

seppypom
06-30-2007, 12:07 PM
wow, with that attitude, /me thinks /me knows you!

mforcex
06-30-2007, 12:35 PM
ScT should just be p2l since people buy seedboxes to seed. If you don't have a seedbox, don't join ScT.

I wonder where the donations at TL go.

Any site with enforced HNR rules is going to shit. FTN and FSC both have lengthy seed time rules.

MaAiFu
06-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Any site with enforced HNR rules is going to shit. FTN and FSC both have lengthy seed time rules.

true, small sites like FSC F*WR revolt maybe even FTN, will always be there as a good small community which i value in my bookmarks MUCH MUCH more than big sites like SCT, just waiting to turn into the next TL or FL....

monk3y
06-30-2007, 01:42 PM
OiNK - Great site with a great community just growing bigger and better.
TL - This site HAS IT ALL ( besides learning and other non-warez-related stuff ) it is fast always has seeders and leechers.
BitmeTV - Great TV Tracker with everything
TTi - Awsome DVDR-Related Tracker with great bonuses and good staff

if u want i can continue...

mforcex
06-30-2007, 02:00 PM
TL - This site HAS IT ALL ( besides learning and other non-warez-related stuff ) it is fast always has seeders and leechers.

There is NOTHING, NOTHING good about TL. Anything they might have will be null and void due to their policies and staff.

Gish
06-30-2007, 02:35 PM

There is NOTHING, NOTHING good about TL. Anything they might have will be null and void due to their policies and staff.

:dabsrod:

TL has great staff and what policies are you talking about?
as far as FSC if anything they need more seeders, not more leechers. got it backwards!

mforcex
06-30-2007, 03:28 PM

as far as FSC if anything they need more seeders, not more leechers. got it backwards!
Anytime I ever went to help I got some asshole to talk to. I was also IP banned and had my account disabled, for not breaking any rules, and when I finally got into their IRC 20 minutes later, I was unbanned when they saw they had made a mistake. I thought torrent sites usually check the facts before totally banning innocent people, especially power users. Sure I got my account back, but having to deal with bullshit just sucks.

BTW, TL is a P2L site, so don't you find it a little suspicious that they mistakenly ban people who don't pay?

Gish
06-30-2007, 04:17 PM
That sucks about what happened to you but I have never donated to TL ever and whenever I PM a staff they get right back to me. sounds like you just had a bad experience!

Tokeman
06-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Anytime I ever went to help I got some asshole to talk to. I was also IP banned and had my account disabled, for not breaking any rules, and when I finally got into their IRC 20 minutes later, I was unbanned when they saw they had made a mistake. I thought torrent sites usually check the facts before totally banning innocent people, especially power users. Sure I got my account back, but having to deal with bullshit just sucks.

BTW, TL is a P2L site, so don't you find it a little suspicious that they mistakenly ban people who don't pay?

TL is great, anyone who says otherwise is full of crap. Their pre times are amoung the best, and as long as theres no cheaters in your up/downline you will be fine. Every site has had people ban'd for mistakes, you can't get around this with a userbase that size, if you think you can, go make your own site and find out how much of a pain it is to administer that many users.

Brenya
06-30-2007, 04:43 PM
did i say i was the only uploader?, did i, you blithering idiot, and i know i choose to upload, are u stupid?

where is your point? where...did i say i was getting out of torrents...i was making a personal observation on torrent sites as i see it, why dont u give an opinion on torrent sites without refering to my views, which i think im entitled to...

i was just kicking the ball off...try keeping it going without your 2 year old attitude....
:fist:

phrenzy
06-30-2007, 04:50 PM

I see spending that money makes you bitter....

UsenetGuy
06-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Well, bittorrent is the new Kazaa - all the pneubs are using it. FFS, my Grandmother uses bittorrent and she doesn't even know how to properly shut down her computer. :lol:

Reward yourself and move on to newsgroups like the rest of the old-schoolers have.

I could not agree more :D Bittorrent is becoming the new kazaa, now everyone uses it :( Theres also tons of people buying 100mbit seedboxes to keep a good ratio but guess what... nobody needs 20 fucking 100mbit servers on one torrent!! If your gonna pay money to download, instead of buying a seedbox just pay for access to usenet, its cheaper and far better imo :shifty: Not to mention how much more secure it is over bittorrent :yup: NewsGroups is were all the smart people are, bittorrent is where the newbies are. Remember, you never know who your downloading from on bittorrent ;)

upGrayde
06-30-2007, 05:28 PM
anyone up for some yahoo pool?

Tokeman
06-30-2007, 05:42 PM

I could not agree more :D Bittorrent is becoming the new kazaa, now everyone uses it :( Theres also tons of people buying 100mbit seedboxes to keep a good ratio but guess what... nobody needs 20 fucking 100mbit servers on one torrent!! If your gonna pay money to download, instead of buying a seedbox just pay for access to usenet, its cheaper and far better imo :shifty: Not to mention how much more secure it is over bittorrent :yup: NewsGroups is were all the smart people are, bittorrent is where the newbies are. Remember, you never know who your downloading from on bittorrent ;)

newsgroups are fine, but your theory on bt is flawed. you make it sound very dangerous cause your dling from peers. Problem is, on private sites, if you dont dl, or upload, you will be disabled. If the riaa / mpaa makes an account and uploads or downloads content, they are breaking the law. Only thing they can do is jump on torrents and not dl anything just to see the peers. Yea, that account is gunna last real long time on a private site huh?
This is why they make rules on inactivity and such. Private sites are relitivly safe, and if you belong to one of the smaller less known private sites, your safer still.

Not 100%, but I have never seen anyone get a letter saying You were making X available on fsc. Its always demonoid or some public tracker.

aburyach
06-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Let's not forget those that try to collect 20+ trackers...these people end up robbing individual sites of their community and seeds/leechers/members/etc...

TheFoX
06-30-2007, 09:20 PM

Your implication was that you are THE MAN!!!

If that statement is not one indicative of someone with an ego the size of Manhattan, then I don't know what is?

Contrary to what you think, my comments are MY opinions. You are debasing my opinion because it contradicts your own opinions. Tolerance is something you need to learn.

Did I say you were getting out of torrents? No I didn't... My comment was that IF you no longer liked the torrent game, then use NewsGroups like Skizo suggested.

If you no longer like the torrent game, then use NewsGroups like Skizo has suggested.

Notice the IF at the start of that quote?

Now that was just damn rude. You have a moan about something, and someone contradicts you, so what do you do. You get personal. Hardly the attitude of someone who is supposed to be mature, is it now.

tindron
06-30-2007, 11:35 PM
maybe i am the man, but i doubt it, but what has that to do with my original post on torrent sites? NOTHING

everyone has ego, if u say you dont your a liar, if anyone is one single tracker with a ration of over 1.00 then you have ego, you want too look good around your peers, whats wrong with that? NOTHING

the post above has no opinions like the other on the original post of mine, the point of that "opinion" NOTHING

you brought up getting out of torrents in the first place, again the relationship to original post NOTHING

your last "opinion" is worth NOTHING. end of.

you fox, should be put down for all our sakes, because you are the worst kind of poster, you miss the point.....
you are too cought up in your own ego to get back to the original post and give an opinion....you have yet to do so, will you ever?

this aint about me its about just givin your 5cents, if you dont agree with me fine, but why do you have to tell me why you think im wrong? why not just say what you think on the subject?

Skiz
06-30-2007, 11:41 PM
If you want to discuss it, fine. I find it a good topic to discuss.

If the insults continue though, the thread will be closed.

upGrayde
06-30-2007, 11:54 PM
go fuck yourself skizo!!!!

jk :)

monk3y
07-01-2007, 12:04 AM

lol other site's staff won't even listen to you what are you talking about...

TheFoX
07-01-2007, 12:25 AM
you fox, should be put down for all our sakes, because you are the worst kind of poster, you miss the point.....
you are too cought up in your own ego to get back to the original post and give an opinion....you have yet to do so, will you ever?

Tolerance is an attribute that some of us have. The ability to tolerate the opinions of others when those opinions do not coincide with our own.

I should be put down, should I... That speaks volumes about your character, and the tolerance shown towards others.

The original post was about how you thought the torrent communities were decaying. As with all threads, this one has evolved to encompass much more than just the opening post. By it's very nature, a thread will evolve as more people post their comments.

Just because you are the thread starter, that does not mean you are right (or wrong). You are simply expressing an opinion. I am also expressing opinions in my posts.

As for your kind words, I'll bare them in mind for the future...

kayvanblue
07-01-2007, 12:57 AM
take it easy guys!

Shadowfire
07-01-2007, 01:34 AM
On the original topic, I think that all sites change and evolve. I suppose you hardly can ever keep a certain thing in a continually same state, and even your own mentality can be the thing that's changing. With every change, there are bound to be the people that yearn for the old site; this is inevitable. There are tons of torrent sites out there, so if those you mentioned don't suit you, you can may eventually find another that you'd like more. Or, as other people mentioned, you can try out newsgroups. I find that private torrent sites have obtained some dumber people over time.

I can agree with you that some trackers are beginning to stale. However, I can't agree that FTN is worse now than before. I think its selection and community has gotten wider than when it had just 2000 torrents. Scc, however, was always a machine. In the past, it had even less users for an adept community. TD likewise was always boring. ScT really did stale with its new invite policy.

Skiz
07-01-2007, 01:44 AM
We miss you Shadowfire. :cry:

upGrayde
07-01-2007, 02:24 AM
On the original topic, I think that all sites change and evolve. I suppose you hardly can ever keep a certain thing in a continually same state, and even your own mentality can be the thing that's changing. With every change, there are bound to be the people that yearn for the old site; this is inevitable. There are tons of torrent sites out there, so if those you mentioned don't suit you, you can may eventually find another that you'd like more. Or, as other people mentioned, you can try out newsgroups. I find that private torrent sites have obtained some dumber people over time.

I can agree with you that some trackers are beginning to stale. However, I can't agree that FTN is worse now than before. I think its selection and community has gotten wider than when it had just 2000 torrents. Scc, however, was always a machine. In the past, it had even less users for an adept community. TD likewise was always boring. ScT really did stale with its new invite policy.

:sleep1: