PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent and Privacy

Gish
06-29-2007, 10:28 PM
being a member at a bunch of file sharing forums and trackers for a long time now, I find that many forum threads talk about safety. like how can I protect myself when I Download on bittorrent. but the realistic answer of course is there is nothing you can do to be 100% safe and there is always going to be a risk no matter what you do. this is as most people realize very true.
on the the other hand there are things you can do to improve you your safety, not Guarantee it!
I just wanted to see what other people do to help improve there safety like the use of:

peerguardian-
many people realize that unless you use limewire etc for you file sharing needs , peerguardian is not much help in the way of stopping anyone from seeing your IP.

IPblocker-
when used with you bittorrent client I have seen the IP blocker personally block timewarner, RIAA, Sony etc..

Proxy-
I have heard of people using their bittorrent client threw a proxy or something like tor but is something I know nothing about.

using Private sites-
more safe than public maybe? but not by much.

Let me know what you people do to improve your privacy on Bittorrent:)

DaMan05
06-29-2007, 11:14 PM
tbh... i really dont care bout my privacy just yet... go ahead, see what im downloading

LaPistola
06-29-2007, 11:17 PM
i run all tracker activity on public trackers through tor, it doesn't tax the tor network to much and really helps your privacy, i also use ipblocker

nanajeebus
06-30-2007, 02:34 AM
It seems you don't actually understand the security measures you mentioned.

Peerguardian (and other tools like it) IS an ipblocker and blocks the dangerous ips and ranges. Exactly what it blocks is up to you based on what list you choose. It would in no way prevent anyone from seeing your ip and doesn't claim to do so either.

Proxies. Eh. Public ones are slow slow slooow, and it would kind of defeat the purpose to use commercial ones anyways. Tor is relatively fast, but I'm not sure how secure it is.

Private sites could easily be infiltrated. And probably have.

It's probably just not as pronounced as when there are obvious fake files on public trackers. :ph34r:

game1283
06-30-2007, 02:36 AM
CAn a firewall help? i'm just using a firewall..

nanajeebus
06-30-2007, 02:55 AM
No. All firewalls do is monitor your network traffic and filter whats allowed through.

So if you're downloading a a torrent file it wouldn't hide you IP or block antip2p organizations from connecting to you.

(At least I don't think so. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Gish
06-30-2007, 03:09 AM
It seems you don't actually understand the security measures you mentioned.

Peerguardian (and other tools like it) IS an ipblocker and blocks the dangerous ips and ranges. Exactly what it blocks is up to you based on what list you choose. It would in no way prevent anyone from seeing your ip and doesn't claim to do so either.

Proxies. Eh. Public ones are slow slow slooow, and it would kind of defeat the purpose to use commercial ones anyways. Tor is relatively fast, but I'm not sure how secure it is.

Private sites could easily be infiltrated. And probably have.

It's probably just not as pronounced as when there are obvious fake files on public trackers. :ph34r:

well I do understand quite well and I'm not saying peerguardian or IPblocker is perfect as you saw from my first post but they can help if someone is sitting in Riaa headquarters but who is to say someone working for the riaa is not using their home connection to get their info. like I said before nothing is 100%;) also it is a well known fact that Private trackers have been infiltrated but so far not one member of a private tracker has been taken to court that I know of(not yet)

nanajeebus
06-30-2007, 03:35 AM
well I do understand quite well and I'm not saying peerguardian or IPblocker is perfect as you saw from my first post but they can help if someone is sitting in Riaa headquarters but who is to say someone working for the riaa is not using their home connection to get their info. like I said before nothing is 100%;) also it is a well known fact that Private trackers have been infiltrated but so far not one member of a private tracker has been taken to court that I know of(not yet)

Oh, yeah, they're definitely not 100% safe. Nothing could ever be developed that was. But they do help. http://torrentfreak.com/do-p2p-blocklists-keep-you-safe/

:D

LackOfInterest
06-30-2007, 03:54 AM
using Private sites-

My friend has only used private sites since he started using bittorrent. He also used peer guardian. A few weeks ago he got a letter from his ISP, which happens to be Charter, which had a list of everything he downloaded over the course of about three months. In this letter they had the exact dates of each download and his IP address. I guess private sites really arent that much safer than public ones :O

th0r
06-30-2007, 04:06 AM
no one is completely safe. even if you use a proxy or peerguardian or whatever, you're still at risk. fortunately, there are measures you can take to make yourself safer

Gish
06-30-2007, 02:01 PM
using Private sites-

My friend has only used private sites since he started using bittorrent. He also used peer guardian. A few weeks ago he got a letter from his ISP, which happens to be Charter, which had a list of everything he downloaded over the course of about three months. In this letter they had the exact dates of each download and his IP address. I guess private sites really arent that much safer than public ones :O

Wow thats the first I have heard... do you know what private sites he was using?

Thanks

Pluto
06-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Most likely torrentleech. Their member are beginning to recieve DMCA letters now.

http://www.torrentleech.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27768&highlight=spiderman

http://www.torrentleech.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28614

Gish
07-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Wow, that sucks.. I love TL

Night0wl
07-01-2007, 04:54 AM
What do you expect from a site that is obviously just in it for the money. I was actually discussing this earlier today with some friends, that TL was for sure gonna be hit soon.

My only advise is go more private.

LackOfInterest
07-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Most likely torrentleech. Their member are beginning to recieve DMCA letters now.

Right on the money with that comment. Indeed it was torrentleech that he was using.

Gish
07-01-2007, 06:52 PM
any body else receive a letter from there ISP for downloading off of a private site?

fstrulz
07-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I've been using ipfilter.dat (http://www.bluetack.co.uk/) with uTorrent... So far, no letters from my ISP.

Any of you mates use it also?

slimdogp
07-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Yep, I use a custom made ipfilter.dat made by some guys on a site which will be remained nameless. Although its not a 'super' private site.

Does it really make a difference?? Who knows..

All I DO know, is that using outbound encryption, and ipfilter.dat helps me sleep a *little* better at night.

LackOfInterest
07-02-2007, 03:35 AM
I've been using ipfilter.dat (http://www.bluetack.co.uk/) with uTorrent... So far, no letters from my ISP.

My friend was using peer guardian, i don't know if ipfilter.dat is any different.

Gish
07-02-2007, 10:44 PM

My friend was using peer guardian, i don't know if ipfilter.dat is any different.

Depending on where you get your lists from depends how different they are!

FireMan
07-02-2007, 11:31 PM
pg2 protects, but it is not total security.

The best at the moment for me.:)

To configure the BitTorrent client well, also means more security.:yup:

:gunsmilie