PDA

View Full Version : ~ FAKE giveaways! ~

znik
07-03-2007, 10:18 PM
There seems to be a lot of fake giveaways recently and I would like your opinion about that…
A lot of new members have been offering amazing invites/accounts. There are however, serious doubts about that, since in most cases they have been searching themselves for such a rare invite recently… :rolleyes:
Of course they never announce the winner and they close the thread in order to not let anyone ask about who the winners were… :whistling

Just a few examles of recent fake giveaways:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-giveaway-200704
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-give-n-v-t-e-s-away-201370
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-mini-giveway-197239
If you can remember more plz post them here.

Why do you think they are doing this?
-To become famous here?
-To ridicule FST members that are asking for such an invite?
-To use others' ratio screenshots as their own in order to scam people afterwards?
-To earn rep. points?

And finally what should be done about it?
I think that everyone giving away invites should be obliged to announce the winners, or let the winners post that they have taken the invite.
Of course, anyone found to have double accounts here, and “giving away” the invite to himself for show-off should be banned.

These people may not scam someone off of his account, but they are certainly playing with the desire of many people here to get a rare invite… :(
Let's see what you think about all this.:yup:

khallo0oz007
07-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I totally agree, I have taken part in 2 giveaways, and 1 still hasnt announced a winner which was 5 days ago when he posted it and he would announce the winner 1 day after the post...

skazany91
07-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I think that everyone giving away invites should be obliged to announce the winners, or let the winners post that they have taken the invite.
Of course, anyone found to have double accounts here, and “giving away” the invite to himself for show-off should be banned.

GOOD IDEA !!

mievmo
07-03-2007, 10:27 PM
too much FTN :P

hangemhigh
07-03-2007, 10:28 PM
I posted in the second example and never received anything.
I think they collect ratio proofs to scam at other boards or
under different names.

zizo85
07-03-2007, 10:33 PM
they should be warned
and if they do it again i think they have to banned

Omara
07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
fake givaway's , and fake trade's also very bad

such like when u offer something , u find someone reply u that he agree , but need ................

u do , he demand other , u do , he demand other .........................................

then , at least , tell u : "sorry , i found better offer '

very bad situation realy , it happened to me here , and i searched for the topics of this guy , i found that they all seem to be fake giveaway's also , and he's not serious at any offer he do , i don't know realy what can we do with this people who fake us , and make us loose our time with out any reason , or any hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wasson05
07-03-2007, 10:39 PM
why even warn them?
I'm sure everyone realizes that a fake giveaway should not be created even as a joke...
it isn't funny and anyways they probably aren't doing it for laughs but rather to get other people's ratio shots

I say ban them after their first fake giveaway unless its an accident like their ratio dropped and their invites were taken and they didnt realize it

JA
07-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Ahhh retards stealing my glory. :D

On topic, Ill be talking to staff about members who do create hoax giveaways. And will be discussing consequences..

;)

SalsaMan
07-03-2007, 10:43 PM
It's annoying mostly, I think I can spot the fake ones after reading a couple pages of posts.

Ban 'em I say also after a couple of these fakes, I hate wasting time reading crap.

But as far as the idea that they are just trying to collect ratio screenshots, I don't buy it. It's too easy to find plenty of ratios just by clicking on people's signatures. I'm guessing the fakers are just losers who want a bit of attention, makes 'em feel special. Or hoping to scam an invite or two. Lame.

kaii
07-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Agree with MESSI_19, thouse people must be warned.
The best way to avoid such fake giveaways is to create a template to giveaways and to define rules (how to do it, when announce a winner etc). And then you can ban thouse people who won't obey to the rules.

SgtMajor
07-03-2007, 10:49 PM
It would also help if the wiser posters amongst us quickly posted within the thread that it may be a hoax, and that it needs further investigation before raising expectations of the other posters (and they could be unwittingly helping the hoaxer by posting up to date screen grabs of their accounts that could be used elsewhere).

It may also be wise for the more experienced posters to flag the post for the attention of the staff so that they can investigate further.

JA
07-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Suggested Template?

Welcome to ___'s Giveaway.

I am giving away:

_ of xx tracker (Invite)
_ of yy tracker (Invite)
_ of bb tracker (Invite)
_ of cc tracker (Account)
_ of qq tracker (Invite)

Please follow these simply rules: (My usual rules, can be changed according to thread starter's preferences)
#1 Ratio screens from OiNK with today's date.
#2 Client screenshot showing today's date + UL Speed.
#3 Speedtest.net for home ISP's.
#4 Total UL/DL statistics for Utorrent.

Winners for the:

_ of xx tracker (Skizo, Reality)
_ of yy tracker (Buggyme, DefianceX)
_ of bb tracker ( Rossco, Lynx)
_ of cc tracker (Hairbutt, Barborossa)
_ of qq tracker (Chewie, Walcazin)
----------------------------------------------
Id say that would be the default template for me. Of course there are heaps of other things you can add.

Reason for why you did the giveaway:
Yah! 3000th post! Wooohoo.

Estimated running time of the giveaway to give people a general time line of how quickly they have to collaborate their required details..

ETA : 48 Hours.

And heaps of other crap which i can't be bothered to think of ;)

Only a suggestion.

znik
07-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Very nice template J.A !

Please discuss the issue with the other staff members and enforce a template.

However, some giveaways of less rare invites could have less requirements.
Also, announce to us some actions taken against those who create hoax giveaway threads

josephs911
07-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Suggested Template?

Welcome to ___'s Giveaway.

I am giving away:

_ of xx tracker (Invite)
_ of yy tracker (Invite)
_ of bb tracker (Invite)
_ of cc tracker (Account)
_ of qq tracker (Invite)

Please follow these simply rules: (My usual rules, can be changed according to thread starter's preferences)
#1 Ratio screens from OiNK with today's date.
#2 Client screenshot showing today's date + UL Speed.
#3 Speedtest.net for home ISP's.
#4 Total UL/DL statistics for Utorrent.

Winners for the:

_ of xx tracker (Skizo, Reality)
_ of yy tracker (Buggyme, DefianceX)
_ of bb tracker ( Rossco, Lynx)
_ of cc tracker (Hairbutt, Barborossa)
_ of qq tracker (Chewie, Walcazin)
----------------------------------------------
Id say that would be the default template for me. Of course there are heaps of other things you can add.

Reason for why you did the giveaway:
Yah! 3000th post! Wooohoo.

Estimated running time of the giveaway to give people a general time line of how quickly they have to collaborate their required details..

ETA : 48 Hours.

And heaps of other crap which i can't be bothered to think of ;)

Only a suggestion.

What about High Level trackers, I mean if you are giving away say FTN, Exigo, SCT, FTWR or something is it really safe to display your username that you won that. It can be quite easy for a spy to do some research on your past posts, looking at ratios, screenshots and using other trackers to find who you are and then disable your account. While this may be a little far fetched i have seen people get banned by giving very little info. Just my thoughts.

amahk
07-04-2007, 12:41 AM
yeah, somebody i dont remember his name make VIPMusic giveaway
and i post wich he ask for + mail to send
and he send me invite confirmation via PM
but i dont recieve anything at mail :( after i give him rip point

stealth_SS8
07-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I also hate getting pm's like this...

you got free PT, congrats :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://polishtracker.org/register.pxxxxxx
hope it works, the other dude just didnt want it

then I try and register and see

Hey! You are not invited. Bugger off....

anyone have an extra PT invite? :)

WhoopDeDoo
07-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Here's an idea, they're doing it to get FST user's emails.

ulun64
07-04-2007, 03:47 AM
Ban them and also their IP address.

saulin
07-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Actually I was going to mention that. For example I saw someone giving away a bunch of accounts that had a few TB of buffer a few weeks ago and he never anounced the winners I don't think and just closed the thread. Pretty fake if you ask me. When I do giveaways I do anounced the winners.

Yeah I do believe the same with fake trades too. Staff should do something about it.

bluelion
07-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Ban them and also their IP address.

if they are static

saulin
07-04-2007, 07:44 AM
if they are static

Well at least if they register again they have to wait 30 days to access the invite section again. And of course they will have dynamic IPs. How many of you actually have static IP addresses?

seh
07-04-2007, 08:00 AM
if they are static
How many of you actually have static IP addresses?
i do :P

drgnomb
07-04-2007, 08:12 AM
I know I'm still a bit of a noob, but it seems to me that these fake giveaways are not much more than an annoyance. Making sure everyone who wins gets their invite is hard enough, but then having to post a list of winners...not to mention the bickering that might result if users see who beat them out. Besides, the really obvious fakes are just going to be skipped over anyway.

It's going to be impossible to stop people from having several accounts and faking giveaways, but we should really be concerned about what WhoopDeDoo pointed out. What if this is a way to gather emails? If anything is done about this problem, it should be for our protection rather than to simply avoid an annoyance. Maybe instead there should be a way to mark fakers so no one deals with them. At the extreme, there could be a requirement to show the invites on an up to date screenshot, but that might discourage people from doing giveaways. :wacko:

Maybe there's nothing more we can do other than be careful who we give our emails to and warn others when we think we've spotted a fake?

silhouette
07-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Like someone mentioned above, how does one announce winners of good trackers ? What if they have spies around. I gave away an invite to someone who registered at the tracker with the same username he has here. That way we could both have been caught quite easily.
Genuine givers should not be scared away as they are the ones who help others start out with torrenting. I got oink, bitme and bitmetv for free with no ratio proofs, no nothing.
I also do not have much respect for those who request at almost each and every giveaway thread. What do they intend to do with the accounts anyway ? Trade them away ?
I'd posted this giveaway thread a few days ago http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-payback-time-201236
Not too many people have shown interest. This could because the thread is titled in such a way that it does not seem like a giveaway thread.
If they do not want to take the trouble to open and read the thread then they not deserve to be invited.

FACE_TO_FACE
07-04-2007, 08:40 AM
For me:

fake giveaways = ban
Bye

znik
07-04-2007, 09:21 AM
silhouette you can always ask the winner of your giveaway to register to the tracker under a different alias than his FST alias.

Even if you don't announce the winner, a spy could find out that you invited someone from a giveaway, if you are both using the same aliases here and on that particular tracker.

knio
07-04-2007, 09:27 AM
what about this thread
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-supertorrents-1-tb-giveaway-201359

supertorrent with 1tb giveawy !! who won it ??

znik
07-04-2007, 09:41 AM
knio you are right!
Account gone (to the extraterrestrials):whistling, and thread closed before anyone asks further questions about the winner!... :rolleyes:

thegoan
07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
previously i used to hangout at realpoor... looking for TT or TR (specificily) and almost everyother thread said tt/tr available... i was like dayum dude.. i need to get me one... so i pm'ed a few guys... and got screwed 3 times. twice for bitmetv and once for oink... the last time he actually said he sent the invitation and even showed me a screenshot of the msg (the deal was 2 bitmetv's for 1 TT) so i sent him 1 invitre and waited for the confirmation mail to arrive.. needless to say it didnt pm'ed him .. he kept sayin it takes time so just hang on... next day still nothing... by then someone else also got screwed by the same guy ... i guess the only consolation was i didnt send the 2nd invite... but whats even more pissin me off is these guys just keep the account alive. no activity on it. atleaset if they were to use it i mean up / down something then they would actually be helping out the community. some of the ppl actually use the invite i sent.. but these last 3 ppl just sit there hoggin up space... i wish there was a way to delete these accounts that get invited by us.

as for giveaways... its aways a good idea ... shit ... i have like atleast 20-30 invites combined still sitting... i would like to give some away but not to some asshole who will just sell it to another guy... screw that....

JA
07-04-2007, 09:50 AM
previously i used to hangout at realpoor... looking for TT or TR (specificily) and almost everyother thread said tt/tr available... i was like dayum dude.. i need to get me one... so i pm'ed a few guys... and got screwed 3 times. twice for bitmetv and once for oink... the last time he actually said he sent the invitation and even showed me a screenshot of the msg (the deal was 2 bitmetv's for 1 TT) so i sent him 1 invitre and waited for the confirmation mail to arrive.. needless to say it didnt pm'ed him .. he kept sayin it takes time so just hang on... next day still nothing... by then someone else also got screwed by the same guy ... i guess the only consolation was i didnt send the 2nd invite... but whats even more pissin me off is these guys just keep the account alive. no activity on it. atleaset if they were to use it i mean up / down something then they would actually be helping out the community. some of the ppl actually use the invite i sent.. but these last 3 ppl just sit there hoggin up space... i wish there was a way to delete these accounts that get invited by us.

as for giveaways... its aways a good idea ... shit ... i have like atleast 20-30 invites combined still sitting... i would like to give some away but not to some asshole who will just sell it to another guy... screw that....
With that said, would you like my TR account? Its clean, i just leeched 60 MB off it :P

thegoan
07-04-2007, 09:59 AM
:) thanks.. but a kind soul already gave me one here.. thanks anyway...

bloodhell
07-04-2007, 12:18 PM
ban every son of a bitch that posts fake giveaway ..

desiKing
07-04-2007, 12:25 PM
ban every son of a bitch that posts fake giveaway ..

:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:
totally agree.

ceasar
07-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Even if you don't announce the winner, a spy could find out that you invited someone from a giveaway, if you are both using the same aliases here and on that particular tracker.
What are the reasons to ban people who giveaway invites or those who accept giveaways?
It's not trading, its totally different thing.

Cmon
07-04-2007, 11:28 PM
What are the reasons to ban people who giveaway invites or those who accept giveaways?
It's not trading, its totally different thing.
Some tracker not allowed you to giveaway invites, specially in forum like this

RainRoofer
07-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Why do you think they are doing this?
-To become famous here?
-To ridicule FST members that are asking for such an invite?
-To use others' ratio screenshots as their own in order to scam people afterwards?
-To earn rep. points?
Well, If he doesn't announce winner that doesn't mean it's fake giveaway.I wouldn't announce if it's some important one but one thing we can do is that we pm giveaway starter and then ask nick of the winner and check it that way.
I don't care if he wants to earn reputation by foolling FST members, cuz it tell all about that person how pathetic it is, but if he does it for fake rep points then dissabled privilegies.

znik
07-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Correy when a noob here, who was asking for rare invites just a few days ago, is offering for free all the rare invites of the world, then there is something fishy for me...

I also remember a case a long time ago, when someone asked me to give him a rep point in advance, so as to have better chances to win in his giveaway.
Of course he never gave the invite neither to me, nor to anyone else, as far as I can remember...

I am just a little bit more sceptical after having seen so many scammers here all these years.

SpiderPig
07-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Rep points don't mean shit.. I know people who trade them for the other person's rep points..

Fake giveaways are just funny, I don't really care what they do

jokzor
07-04-2007, 11:53 PM
you always have to find a way to pay for stuff, this is your payback lol
trades sucks, i actually find funny that some people pull out those schemes just to get attention and someone with rare invites thinks that they are good people, lol, lol, lol, lol
lmao on all of you that look for trade

KFlint
07-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Here is my suggestion :

for giveaways of tracker of level 5 and less, it would be an obligation to write the winners name on the first post of the thread.

for the highest level giveaways, a mod must be pm'ed the list of winners and the names don't have to be written on the thread

the mods could then do random spot checks to make sure the person X really received the invite. like 1 winner per giveaway for example

since this kind of giveaway happens rarely, it shouldn't be too much work for them

if the thread starter fail to do so, then he is warned one time, and ban if he does it again

Maybe someone already said that, i've read the post quickly ;)

TheFoX
07-05-2007, 12:15 AM
A simple post by a staff member who is closing the thread to say that the competition was fair and above board should be enough. After all, if we cannot trust the words of the staff here, then there is no hope...

kapowcowpwned
07-05-2007, 03:04 AM
With the exception of a couple staff members, there is no hope.

weenden
07-05-2007, 08:13 AM
yes i fell for at least one of those....man im a guilible sucker at times hate when that happens

znik
07-26-2007, 05:19 PM
So I guess we should add to the list the vipdiablo's giveaways... :ghey:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-fsc-100-gigs-buffer-and-old-giveaway-210677
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-ftn-acc-give-away--210582
:wank:

hangemhigh
07-26-2007, 05:35 PM
So I guess we should add to the list the vipdiablo's giveaways... :ghey:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-fsc-100-gigs-buffer-and-old-giveaway-210677
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-invites-90/t-ftn-acc-give-away--210582
:wank:
must have been two winners,, KEEP and NEW.

RaPPeR
07-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Here is my suggestion :

for giveaways of tracker of level 5 and less, it would be an obligation to write the winners name on the first post of the thread.

for the highest level giveaways, a mod must be pm'ed the list of winners and the names don't have to be written on the thread

the mods could then do random spot checks to make sure the person X really received the invite. like 1 winner per giveaway for example

since this kind of giveaway happens rarely, it shouldn't be too much work for them

if the thread starter fail to do so, then he is warned one time, and ban if he does it again

Maybe someone already said that, i've read the post quickly ;)
some thing like this .

Mugur
07-26-2007, 05:43 PM
But if a user gives the invite to himself, but with another name , he will answer to the mod saying he got the invite...

znik
07-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, right hangemhigh!... His 2 other clone accounts... :P
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-the-winner-fsc-has-changed-1-post2157967/postcount8

OmaRin0
07-26-2007, 06:02 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-the-winner-fsc-has-changed-1-post2157967/postcount8

w0w i would never say that guy was a scammer,
good job guys!

Fibo
07-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Damn?!

All I gotta say is Brandon called it.

Didn't doubt him, but hey.

tralalala
07-26-2007, 06:19 PM
If it is labeled as a giveaway, then it doesn't matter what the hell the poster fancies doing, it is not up to you whether he delivers or not. This is an internet forum - nothing here has to be 100% true, correct, or right.

If you were pissed because you didn't get a UKT invite giveaway, don't moan about it being a fake.

Closed.