PDA

View Full Version : Faster Than Dsl And Cable..

mogadishu
06-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Whilst reading these forums a lot of people have talked about their connectiosn with huge bandwiths, i.e. 10mb.. Do you pay for a T1 line or do you get it in your business/school. Cus I would love to find out how to get hooked up with one of those connections.

DarkBlizzard
06-18-2003, 06:22 AM
I have Comcast HighSpeed Cable but its recently gotta so fast that T1 sucks. lol.....really.....my friend has comcast cable but his comp isnt as fast as mine....its wierd....

EDIT: One of my friend said u can un-do a cap inside ur cable modem or dsl modem and it will make ur connection REALLY fast....but if ur ISP notices ur screwed

mogadishu
06-18-2003, 06:25 AM
yea, i pay 50 bucks a month for a dsl connection that cant get over 90kb/s. I know this sounds like a lot to all you 56kers, but for 50 US$ a month i think i could get better. I could get a cable connection but the rest of my family doesnt want to, they think its dangerous and that other people can hack on if they are on the same cable line as you. I really dont give a shit, my friends get speeds up to 300kb/s and sometimes pay less for cable.. But atleast my dsl is always exactly the same speed. about 89kbps... thats the only thing it beats cable in. But late night when no one is using the cable on your block i bet you can get dls over 300 on kazaalite.

mogadishu
06-18-2003, 06:27 AM
yea i wanna try uncapping, supposedly huge speed increase, but it looks like the dangers outway what i would gain. My isp is earthlink and they dont take shit i dont think.

Ynhockey
06-18-2003, 06:38 AM
Uncapping a modem is the stupidest thing 1 could ever do...

1) You'll get caught. 99.9% chance.
2) Once you get caught, you'll not only be disconnected from the ISP, but also sued, you might have to pay a huge fine.

So, it's totally not worth it for a megabit or 2 extra speed for a few days.

Benno
06-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu@18 June 2003 - 08:25
yea, i pay 50 bucks a month for a dsl connection that cant get over 90kb/s. I know this sounds like a lot to all you 56kers, but for 50 US$ a month i think i could get better. I could get a cable connection but the rest of my family doesnt want to, they think its dangerous and that other people can hack on if they are on the same cable line as you. I really dont give a shit, my friends get speeds up to 300kb/s and sometimes pay less for cable.. But atleast my dsl is always exactly the same speed. about 89kbps... thats the only thing it beats cable in. But late night when no one is using the cable on your block i bet you can get dls over 300 on kazaalite.
Be happy with what you have, I pay 40€ for 30kB/s :(

LoveItLive
06-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Ynhockey@18 June 2003 - 07:38
Uncapping a modem is the stupidest thing 1 could ever do...

1) You'll get caught. 99.9% chance.
2) Once you get caught, you'll not only be disconnected from the ISP, but also sued, you might have to pay a huge fine.

So, it's totally not worth it for a megabit or 2 extra speed for a few days.
You cant uncap your speed from your modem, cuz it's not the modem limits your speed, it's your isp.

toddiscool
06-18-2003, 03:43 PM
The crazy speeds that you hear about are uually people in european country's, sweeden, and other type places (I am not a geographer.) Reason being the goverments payed to have a high speed backbone when the internet first came out, thus a 10 MB line cost them about 25 american (equivelent) that is what a couple of guys on Direct connect told me anyway. And they do not have the bull download limit either.

And Moga tell your fam that they do not know what they are talkiing about, cable is as easy to hack as anything else. If someone wants to they will.

mogadishu
06-18-2003, 06:46 PM
what are these 10mb lines.. are they t3s or what? a 10mb connection here in the US would cost atleast a couple hundred dollars.

PersianBulldog
06-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by toddiscool@18 June 2003 - 17:43
The crazy speeds that you hear about are uually people in european country's, sweeden, and other type places.
It depends on how much you are willing to pay. I pay 30$ every month and the fastest speed I have reached is 70 kb/s.

giantfan
06-18-2003, 10:37 PM
i honestly do think the people claiming 10mb may be looking at the rating of their ethernet card.....or maybe looking at what windows says their connection speed is my network connection speed as far as windows goes is 100.0 mbs..."real" speed is actually 1650 kb/s cable 320 kilobytes per second twice as fast as t1 per cable modem.net speed test

mogadishu
06-18-2003, 10:53 PM
lol yea if i hover over my ethernet connection icon it says 100mb.. so in your faces mofukas! but yea i guess that would explain people claiming to have 10mb connections.

2nd gen noob
06-18-2003, 11:13 PM
the uni i go to has t3 (44mbps) :)

the fastest available where i come from (the uk) is 2mbps cable

i can only get 56k due to where i live :(

LoveItLive
06-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by toddiscool@18 June 2003 - 16:43
The crazy speeds that you hear about are uually people in european country's, sweeden, and other type places (I am not a geographer.) Reason being the goverments payed to have a high speed backbone when the internet first came out, thus a 10 MB line cost them about 25 american (equivelent) that is what a couple of guys on Direct connect told me anyway. And they do not have the bull download limit either.

And Moga tell your fam that they do not know what they are talkiing about, cable is as easy to hack as anything else. If someone wants to they will.
$25 means alot for them, they make far less than what US people do, so sure t3 is cheaper for us, but not for them!!!

2nd gen noob
06-18-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by LoveItLive+19 June 2003 - 00:18--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LoveItLive @ 19 June 2003 - 00:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-toddiscool@18 June 2003 - 16:43
The crazy speeds that you hear about are uually people in european country&#39;s, sweeden, and other type places (I am not a geographer.) Reason being the goverments payed to have a high speed backbone when the internet first came out, thus a 10 MB line cost them about 25 american (equivelent) that is what a couple of guys on Direct connect told me anyway. And they do not have the bull download limit either.

&#036;25 means alot for them, they make far less than what US people do, so sure t3 is cheaper for us, but not for them&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
are you kidding?

some of the scandanavian countries who have t3 are extremely rich.
you underestimate other coutries...i wonder why ;)

LoveItLive
06-19-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@19 June 2003 - 00:30

are you kidding?

Oh yea, the rich people, I meant for those normal people, I am sure you can get t3 in US if you are rich enough.

2nd gen noob
06-19-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by LoveItLive+19 June 2003 - 01:52--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LoveItLive @ 19 June 2003 - 01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-2nd gen noob@19 June 2003 - 00:30

are you kidding?

Oh yea, the rich people, I meant for those normal people, I am sure you can get t3 in US if you are rich enough. [/b][/quote]
sorry, i think you misunderstood

what i meant was that the average wealth in (some) scandinavian countries is above that of north america

mogadishu
06-19-2003, 02:57 AM
yea i have to agree.. but then again im half swedish, so gotta stick up for my people.

Switeck
06-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Where I am at, there is cablemodem service plans for businesses (although home users can get it...) with much higher upload and download speeds.

Although my cablemodem is capped at ~1.8 mbps down and 0.25 mbps up, the device itself is capable of at least 10 mbps in both directions -- the only question would be could the ISP&#39;s intranet and internet link handle it. :P

Needless to say, they&#39;d DEFINITELY notice if I uncapped it to that speed&#33;

VB
06-19-2003, 11:38 AM
In Europe the fastest DSL you can get is 7800 kbit/s.

mogadishu
06-19-2003, 05:12 PM
why cant this kind of service be available in the US. People talked about how the government doesnt have these backbone lines, but err.. Goddamit, i just want one of these lines&#33;

Livy
06-19-2003, 05:38 PM
paul, how much do u pay for your connection?
i noticed somewhere u sayin you had a 10mbit connection?

VB
06-19-2003, 06:23 PM
I have one of those 7800 kbit (7 MBit) connections. However that is teh theoretical max speed. It depends on the length of the phonelines and things like that.

The max speed I have is about 500-550 KByte/s. Upload is 50 KByte/s.

EURO 99 / &#036;118 a month.

100 GB total up+down traffic limit.

Livy
06-19-2003, 06:30 PM
no to bad. that bout £65 i think, the fastest in the uk is 2mb cable, thats got 256 up, and thats £50 if u have another service with the same company,(e.g cable tv, or phoneline) £55 if you dont.

edit: unlimited traffic i think though.

Jonne
06-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by LoveItLive+19 June 2003 - 01:52--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LoveItLive @ 19 June 2003 - 01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-2nd gen noob@19 June 2003 - 00:30

are you kidding?

Oh yea, the rich people, I meant for those normal people, I am sure you can get t3 in US if you are rich enough. [/b][/quote]
he probably thinks third world countries are the countries outside of the US...
I doubt if the US is the country with the best average income...

mogadishu
06-20-2003, 11:14 PM
i think switzerland is, that is besides tiny countries like monaco etc.

mogadishu
06-20-2003, 11:25 PM
this is probably the fastest my kazaalite will ever get on this connection.

http://mogadishu.beakon.net/kazaalite.jpg

toddiscool
06-21-2003, 08:55 AM
If you wanna know what I am talking about go on direct connect, the people that are sending you a file at well over 100 kb/s, they have something better than cable. whoever said that they are looking at the speed of their NIC, those are not idiots man. Everyone knows what that means. In sweeden, and switz the goverment put in these lines, therfore the companies (some gov&#39;t run) can use the backbones at a much lesser cost than here. You are right all that say in the states that would cost a couple of hundred dollars, and 25 us, in sweeden is not equivelent to that. As for all you that are using cable and can only get up to around 70 kb/s i feel for yeah. I am on cable and get mine up to around 600 consistantly. And no, I do not mean the speed of my network card.

Why the states does not have decent internet, the backbone is owned by one company, time warner, if you look on DSl reports you will see that Road runner is about the 25th fastest connection, AOL is not even on the board. That backbone has not been worked on in years. Compare that to countries that have millions invested and high power backbones, and there you have it.

My suggestion ( I work for a cable internet company) if you feel that your browsing is slow, look into your plan see what you are guaranteed. Pay attention megabit, or megabyte (know what the diffrence is) most cable guarentees a 2mbit connection. Do a speed test - dslreports.com/stest If you are not where you should be Call your ISP and demand that they fix the problem. While you are there check out other ISP&#39;s in your area and there average speeds. I know for two reasons that alot of you are getting ripped off 1. I take your calls for slow browsing, and 2. When i go to do a speed test mu speed is blowing the average away. You were promised speed and cable should be faster that 70 kb/s.

And then there is the issue of download limits, I can have my connection working at top for most of the day, and go over my monthly limit. and at 10bucks a gig. hahaha, I may aswell have a t3 line.

Edit - Igot bites and bytes f*ed up, we all do.

SeK612
06-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Jonne+19 June 2003 - 20:17--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jonne &#064; 19 June 2003 - 20:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by LoveItLive@19 June 2003 - 01:52
<!--QuoteBegin-2nd gen noob@19 June 2003 - 00:30

are you kidding?

Oh yea, the rich people, I meant for those normal people, I am sure you can get t3 in US if you are rich enough.
he probably thinks third world countries are the countries outside of the US...
I doubt if the US is the country with the best average income...[/b][/quote]

Sweden is just as rich and prosperous as any of the countries here in the EU and indeed the world and so I doubt they would recieve any special benifits on their internet connection (if they are getting a better deal it looks more likely that its due to good planning by their govenment).

ButWay
06-21-2003, 02:32 PM
to all you people how thinks the Swedes are lying BBB (http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/se/index.jsp?t=1&tt=Start)
I know it&#39;s on swedish but you might notice the big 10Mbit/s sign. And no it&#39;s not that expensive for us.

Explosive
06-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Benno+18 June 2003 - 13:11--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno &#064; 18 June 2003 - 13:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@18 June 2003 - 08:25
yea, i pay 50 bucks a month for a dsl connection that cant get over 90kb/s. I know this sounds like a lot to all you 56kers, but for 50 US&#036; a month i think i could get better. I could get a cable connection but the rest of my family doesnt want to, they think its dangerous and that other people can hack on if they are on the same cable line as you. I really dont give a shit, my friends get speeds up to 300kb/s and sometimes pay less for cable.. But atleast my dsl is always exactly the same speed. about 89kbps... thats the only thing it beats cable in. But late night when no one is using the cable on your block i bet you can get dls over 300 on kazaalite.
Be happy with what you have, I pay 40€ for 30kB/s :([/b][/quote]
I pay 69 Lt = 23 US &#036; a month for 100-170 kB/s. :P

VB
06-21-2003, 02:48 PM
A lot of college networks give the students 10 MBit/s up/down here in The Netherlands.

Too bad I don&#39;t live in a student building.

Ynhockey
06-21-2003, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (2nd gen noob @ 19 June 2003 - 00:30)

are you kidding?

you underestimate other coutries...i wonder why

Actually, i believe that the average salary in the US is piss-poor compared to some of these countries... Switzerland, Sweden, maybe Germany... besides, as someone said, these countries did something in order to insure their fast connection, not sure about Europe, but South Korea is high-wired, everyone gets a 2MB connection at home by default, and it&#39;s like the phone line. So, they pay very little for it. At least, that&#39;s what i heard from a friend who now lives there...

So, yeah, the US is by far not the best country for internet.

EDIT

Also, schools and colleges have fast connections... really fast. In my school the average download speed is 1-2 megabyte/sec (that&#39;s 8-16 MBits) from fast servers, while for normal things like Geocities, etc. the speed is usually around 50-100 kB/s. So, the lines at schools gotta be really great to have these kinda speeds. In fact, once some guy downloaded a music video at school with 6.9 megaBytes/second... a 1-time occurence, but it just shows that extremely high connections exist.

jetje
06-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Ach soulseek isn&#39;t that bad with speed&#33;... :lol:

have 2 isp&#39;s both over 700k down... one 16k up the other over 50k up..
this done with the cheapest line.. €40,- a month..

http://members.home.nl/admit/snelheid.JPG

MikeyMC
06-21-2003, 05:37 PM
Does it really make a different?? You got what you payed for, right?