PDA

View Full Version : For Cable Modem Users

brotherdoobie
06-20-2003, 03:38 PM
If u leave your computer on 24-7 like me and your on a cable broadband connection.............You should reset your modem every once in awhile.

If there is not a reset button on the back of your modem,then shut-off your computer and unplug the power to you modem for a few minutes then plug back in and reboot.

When you do this it recycles your modem.......causing your modem to remake it's connectins to your computer and service provider.

I do this every so often when my connection is sluggish and it helps.

Peace brotherdoobie B)

harrycary
06-20-2003, 05:04 PM
huh? That's all in your head my friend. No such thing occurs. Rebooting your PC will help it run more effectively though.

Shareef
06-20-2003, 05:27 PM
will the isp still know how much u d/l if you restart the modem because of the cap thing i can only d/l 6 Gb

Paul_NFFC
06-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Shareef@20 June 2003 - 18:27
will the isp still know how much u d/l if you restart the modem because of the cap thing i can only d/l 6 Gb
nah it wont reset how much you've downloaded

if simply switching off your modem for a few seconds was a way of getting round any limits then the limits would be pretty pointless as every1 would be doing it

just get an ISP with no limit cuz limits are gay

brotherdoobie
06-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by harrycary@20 June 2003 - 12:04
huh? That's all in your head my friend. No such thing occurs. Rebooting your PC will help it run more effectively though.
Hey Harry..........I'm afraid you are wrong my friend.......It does exactly what I said.
Just Google it if you think it's in my head :blink: ..........lol

Peace brotherdoobie

cyberdman
06-20-2003, 06:23 PM
brotherdoobie - you are correct sir. Every now and then you need to give it a kick and re-boot the modem - just like your computer.

harrycary
06-23-2003, 05:35 AM
Sorry guys "resetting" a cable modem has no affect on data transfer. The only time it is even necessary is when you are having problems with it.

When the power is disconnected from any device with a microprocessor[for a few minutes], it will "reset" itself to how that micro was originally programmed. Problems occur due to an anomaly called "microprocessor lock-up."
While there are firmware updates for some brands of cable modems they often aren't necessary unless instructed by your cable company to do so. And even then, it likely will have nothing to do with data throughput.

Rebooting a PC helps by restarting the O/S, installing drivers and freeing up memory. A cable modem does not have any software for this to occur.

toddiscool
06-25-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by harrycary@23 June 2003 - 06:35
Sorry guys "resetting" a cable modem has no affect on data transfer. The only time it is even necessary is when you are having problems with it.

When the power is disconnected from any device with a microprocessor[for a few minutes], it will "reset" itself to how that micro was originally programmed. Problems occur due to an anomaly called "microprocessor lock-up."
While there are firmware updates for some brands of cable modems they often aren't necessary unless instructed by your cable company to do so. And even then, it likely will have nothing to do with data throughput.

Rebooting a PC helps by restarting the O/S, installing drivers and freeing up memory. A cable modem does not have any software for this to occur.
I am verry sorry Harry, but the original poster is exactly Right, I wiork for a Cable ISP, and yes the modem do have buil in hardware and software on them that stores IP's and the mac addresse of the device it is hooked up to. When this bridging table becomes full it cause the modem to slow the rate that it transfers information, and eventually it's ability to Pull an IP at all. The software in the modem will aslo hang (must be made by Microsoft) requiring a reset.

* Note a proper reset is done by unplegging the modem from the power source and leaving it disconnected for atleast 45 seconds (this is the same for hubs or routers) having the computer powered down. Plug the modem back in, wait for the cable/sync light to come on solid, turn the computer back on.

Good Tip brother

cyberdman
06-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Todd - Thank you for reaffirming what I and a few others knew all along. :rolleyes: ;)

harrycary
06-25-2003, 05:04 PM
Well, that may be true for some cable modems.

I use Cox communications and utilize a Toshiba modem. It never came with any software and my ISP does not povide software upon installation.

I know of several small businesses that utilize the very same modem and ISP. They never have had to "reboot" or install any such software.

Not to argue with you but it sounds like we're both right.

Share on...

nizers
06-25-2003, 06:30 PM
In my expieriance it is defiinitly good advice to use this tip. It seems to me like whenever there is even the slightest 'hiccup' with the ISP's service the modem seems to have a memory and after a while i'm assuming that this could build up. Whenever my cable connection seems a bit sluggish i'll pull the plug on it and wait for a couple minutes and then plug it back in. It's always worked, absolutly 100% of the time. I'm sure doing this on a regular basis would be a very good idea.

djflypson
07-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Todd is cool
The Belgium Cable Modem Resetters

3pc.ChickenDinner
07-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Just regedit your modem ;) Don't try to uncap it :ph34r: When they catch up with you. It's gonna be DSL or back to the phone modem :unsure:
Window users should tweak Internet Explorer also. Your modem is only gonna be as fast as your computer is.

downloader2008
07-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the tips todd and brotherdoobie! :)

balamm
07-02-2003, 12:20 AM
toddiscool is correct.
All hardware can benefit from a reset occasionaly. The first thing a service person would do when confronted with a suspect component.
In any event, the normal routine for a cable tech would be to check the modem lights or indicators and then unplug it while taking levels and readings out side. Then power it back up and wait for a lock. Descramblers and convertors require a reset quite often, some brands more than others. In the case of addressable hardware, it's even more important in re-establishing a lock between the device and the headend and servers.

downloader2008
07-02-2003, 12:35 AM
Would a modem with a "Standby" button be the same as resetting?

balamm
07-02-2003, 12:38 AM
I believe it isn't. It's likely a power saving feature that doesn't completely resend and renew the lock.

TazBainz
07-03-2003, 04:10 AM
whenever you reset your cable modem, it gives you a new ip address

balamm
07-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Not in this part of the world it doesn't.

Paul_NFFC
07-03-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by TazBainz@3 July 2003 - 05:10
whenever you reset your cable modem, it gives you a new ip address
no it dosent some people (like myself) have a static IP address and it stays the same IP permanantly

gbfan
07-03-2003, 04:51 AM
I could be wrong, but doesn't anything that has a processor have some sort of software on it? dvd players, tvs, CABLE MODEMS

balamm
07-03-2003, 05:27 AM
Yes, a sort of rom basic, and they are often flashable or can be pulled and upgraded.

iamtheoneandonlyone
07-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Heh I've never ever done that and my connection is still really really fast.

brotherdoobie
07-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by iamtheoneandonlyone@3 July 2003 - 21:15
Heh I've never ever done that and my connection is still really really fast.
That's great....... ;)

Peace brotherdoobie B)

zzzipie
08-07-2003, 12:31 PM
sometimes my speed is really slow, in kl and on the internet. I just disable my tcp/ip for a few minutes, turn it back on and the speed is back to normal... <_<

wildhorse
08-11-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by brotherdoobie@20 June 2003 - 16:38
If u leave your computer on 24-7 like me and your on a cable broadband connection.............You should reset your modem every once in awhile.

this is very correct. It is called refreshing your modem cache.

Should be done every couple of days