PDA

View Full Version : Hardrive Ntfs Compression

Wolfmight
06-26-2003, 02:34 AM
First off, i made Partions on my HD. I have a partion for My Documents (I store all my files and stuff i download off kazaa on it (my shared folder is located on it). I noticed in the HD Properties i have an option called "Compress drive to save disk space", now a little extra disk space on that partion would be nice, but would it be worth any consequences? (such as... slower speed, problems, etc)

harrycary
06-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Not sure about O/S's with NTFS(Win2000, XP, etc) but with older versions of Windows(98, ME), running/opening programs and files can be a problem after compression.

I'm not so sure the [little]space gained is worth any subsequent problems.

I mean, it might just be an exercise in futility.

I'm sure others can give more info for you.

vdragon
06-26-2003, 09:02 PM
In simple terms. You'll be gaining disk space at the cost of performance. Do note that by compressing the drive you are converting the drive to NTFS(if it isn't already) and you can't network a NTFS comp to FAT32(usually what everyone is on) computer.

BritishICE
06-26-2003, 11:45 PM
If you compress the entire drive then you might get around 10% more space with a 10% degradation in speed.

Wolfmight
06-27-2003, 12:50 AM
All my computers on the network here run off NTFS. I noticed it is faster when it comes to searching and proccessing files in ways. (used to use Fat32 long time ago)

I'll compress that parts of the drive i dont use much (backup files)

Luca_Snipes
06-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by vdragon@26 June 2003 - 22:02
In simple terms. You'll be gaining disk space at the cost of performance. Do note that by compressing the drive you are converting the drive to NTFS(if it isn't already) and you can't network a NTFS comp to FAT32(usually what everyone is on) computer.
not true - the format of the drive has no effect on how it works in a simple windows network, as it is the OS on the machine sharing the drive that performs the disk operations, not the machine accessing the share.

In this way a Win 9x machine can access shares on a Win NT/2K, Linux, Sun etc servers, each of which have totaly differant file systems.

On NTFS the compression is within the file system, so the compression takes place at a much lower level than that performed by Win 9x on a FAT partition, so the performace loss is not noticable

LittleKnownFact
06-29-2003, 06:04 AM
Hey luca, your website about music is cool, i like reading the commentary. :)