PDA

View Full Version : Kazaa Users Being Sued?

Wizzy
06-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Well. since that I am not subscribed to the New York Times, I can't exactly verify this 100%, butfrom what I can tell off of the one paragraph that they offer to everyone, it looks as though anyone who shares a to many files will be tracked down and sued.

Can anyone get me the exact article?

kAb
06-26-2003, 08:24 PM
yeah... thats why earthstation5.com will become the next kazaa, its a lot safer.

just use the privacy patch so you don't get caught.

Wizzy
06-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Why is it any safer?

Jibbler
06-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Wizzy@26 June 2003 - 16:15
Well. since that I am not subscribed to the New York Times, I can't exactly verify this 100%, butfrom what I can tell off of the one paragraph that they offer to everyone, it looks as though anyone who shares a to many files will be tracked down and sued.

Don't give it a second thought. Its just more propoganda by the RIAA/MPAA. :)

slicepie
06-26-2003, 09:43 PM
i read the same thing in USA Today. It says that it starts today. I also heard on Howard Stern this morning that the guy who put THE HULK online was arrested for it. The RIAA can't do too much, if they watch what we do it's a violation of the Internet Privacy Act. I also have a post about this in the questions forum ( I put in the wrong place). Check it out

Chrisbrownrules
06-26-2003, 10:28 PM
Whats the privacy patch?

Damnatory
06-26-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Wizzy@26 June 2003 - 21:15
Here's a link to a topic where I posted the exact article...

Link (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?showtopic=47000)

RPerry
06-26-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Chrisbrownrules@26 June 2003 - 21:28
Whats the privacy patch?
Its in the current version of K-lite, and keeps anyone from browsing your files ;)

aserty
06-27-2003, 01:19 AM
Anyone who still buys music should stop completly, if we could get all the kazaa/-lite/morpheus users to stop complety that would be hundreds of millions of dollars that they lose.

Damnatory
06-27-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by aserty@27 June 2003 - 02:19
Anyone who still buys music should stop completly, if we could get all the kazaa/-lite/morpheus users to stop complety that would be hundreds of millions of dollars that they lose.
Then you would have hundreds of music groups that would stop producing CD's.
Yeah, that would help... <_<

marlopainter
06-30-2003, 08:50 PM
:angry: How bout this...... Many musicians claim they make music because they love to......none of them care about the money, that is, until we stop giving them money, the suddenly...ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY...maybe if we do boycott"purchasing" their music....they will stop making music.......that can be good, do we really NEED new music from the cash money millionaires...lol....NO.
I could do without most, and I do mean most, of the crap they box up and expect us to pay 16 bucks for.....where is the rerturn policy...if the music is crap...we cant return it to them. the same with software, you cant rent a pc game from blockbuster...once its opened your S.O.L....in p2p land, if it wasnt what you wanted DELETE IT....no harm no foul no waste...maybe the time if your still a 56k&#39;er.

TheRazz
06-30-2003, 10:23 PM
FYI - there are many articles on MTV.com/news regarding this. Check this one out... do you buy it?

No More Warnings: If You&#39;re File-Sharing Illegally, Expect A Lawsuit
06.25.2003 9:24 PM EDT

Photo: RIAA

Rather than kicking ass and taking names, the RIAA is reversing that order in the most drastic step in its ongoing war against illegal file-sharing.

Starting Thursday, the Recording Industry Association of America will gather personal information on those peer-to-peer users offering the largest amount of copyrighted songs. Once they have the names and addresses of the culprits, copyright-infringement lawsuits will be filed. In a press conference on Wednesday (June 25), RIAA president Cary Sherman said the initial wave of copyright-infringement lawsuits, which can carry penalties as high as &#036;150,000 per infringement (or shared song), would amount to the thousands.

Those targeted can expect to receive civil suits as early as mid-August.

"The law is clear, and the message to those who are distributing substantial quantities of music online should be equally clear — this activity is illegal, you are not anonymous when you do it, and engaging in it can have real consequences," Sherman said.

Thanks to a precedent set earlier this month that required Internet service providers to identify copyright pirates to the RIAA (see "Recording Industry Orders Verizon Subscribers To Stop File-Sharing"), the recording industry will start the campaign by obtaining the names of KaZaA, Morpheus and other P2P network users who are sharing the most songs, because studies have shown that the majority of downloaded songs stem from a few users with large libraries. The RIAA hopes that if the supply is threatened, the demand will dwindle.

"The more files you upload, the bigger target you are," Sherman said. "And we intend to keep filing lawsuits until people get the message."

The deterrent effect of the lawsuits is also a factor in the RIAA&#39;s rationale. When it filed suit against the four college students who were running intranet P2Ps on their campus servers in April (see "Sued College Students Settle With RIAA"), not only were those sites disabled the next day, so were 18 similar ones.

Up until now, file-sharers have been informed of the illegality of their practice by television PSAs, print ads and instant messages (see "Instant Message From RIAA: Stop Stealing, We Know Who You Are"), but the time for warning shots is over. The industry is now taking aim at the offenders&#39; pocketbooks.

"People can no longer count on getting a warning," Sherman said. "They may simply get a lawsuit if they persist in this behavior after tomorrow."

"It&#39;s downright theft," said Thomas F. Lee, president of the American Federation of Musicians. "It&#39;s stealing, it has a horrible impact on all the musicians, as well as the technicians. Our focus is to pull the covers off and expose [file-sharing] for what it is. We have attempted to educate people about this, but at this point in time, it seems we have to do what&#39;s necessary to protect our members&#39; interest."

Even if someone has not downloaded a song in months, that their shared libraries are available for others to pick through is enough to warrant a lawsuit. And being underage is no excuse. Even if a minor uses KaZaA, the lawsuits will be brought against their parents, or whoever is billed by the ISP.

"We think the Internet can be a great resource for both musicians and music fans, so by all means we encourage fans to do it, but do it legally," said Sharon Corbitt, studio manager at Nashville&#39;s Ocean Way, referring to Apple&#39;s iTunes and various other legit services. "Because if they don&#39;t, they won&#39;t be causing problems for the musicians only but for themselves."

The press conference speakers said file-sharing caused a ripple effect of consequences. Not only are the record labels feeling an impact, but so are talent scouts and songwriters, who, unlike artists, can&#39;t bring in revenue from touring or merchandise sales. And that may add up to a dearth of creativity in the industry.

dlingeverything
06-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by marlopainter@30 June 2003 - 14:50
:angry: How bout this...... Many musicians claim they make music because they love to......none of them care about the money, that is, until we stop giving them money, the suddenly...ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY...maybe if we do boycott"purchasing" their music....they will stop making music.......that can be good, do we really NEED new music from the cash money millionaires...lol....NO.
I could do without most, and I do mean most, of the crap they box up and expect us to pay 16 bucks for.....where is the rerturn policy...if the music is crap...we cant return it to them. the same with software, you cant rent a pc game from blockbuster...once its opened your S.O.L....in p2p land, if it wasnt what you wanted DELETE IT....no harm no foul no waste...maybe the time if your still a 56k&#39;er.
I&#39;m sure this is true except for the part that
they dont care about the money.

They love making music but one of the benefits to
doing this is a high income.

People who make music are, whether u accept it or not,
doing work&#33; They are to be paid. And paid very generously
since they provide a service to lots of their fans.

But what you are saying is to kill the whole idea of music <- WTF?

Okay our economy is pretty bad now, and you want to f*ck it up more?

wutever man...

NightStalker
06-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Is the economy really the people&#39;s problem? I don&#39;t think so, The economy is the goverment&#39;s problem. ;)

Pirating will never stop, there will always be some way to do it without someone or somthing noticing it. The RIAA is complaining about the money their losing, however, they want to spend millions to stop people from harvesting copyrighted works, which defeats the purpose.

I believe that their just trying to scare people from downloading and transfering files.

I think it will end soon, as the RIAA is certainly out-numbered&#33;

Gar
07-01-2003, 04:14 PM
I take issue with the idea that &#39;the economy isn&#39;t the people&#39;s problem, it&#39;s the governments problem.&#39;

The economy is a problem to the government *only* because poor economic performance might mean some of the pols will be looking for other work. The &#39;government&#39; won&#39;t be troubled by the economy. The government will *never* run out of money - they print it, after all. But, you and I, on the other hand, don&#39;t have that option, so we have to hope that the economy keeps chugging along, which it usually does, in spite of the government, not because of it.
When the economy falters, *we* are the ones hurt. Those with fortunes so vast that the loss of a billion here and there in value won&#39;t even be noticed (ala Mr. Gates), and who will most likely recover all the &#39;lost&#39; money when the economy recovers aren&#39;t hurt by the times when the economy stumbles. The government can just crank up the printing presses. This may cause some inflation, but an inflationary economy is good for government, because it provides an ever increasing revenue stream, without the annoying necessity to raise taxes.

Mutt_Head
07-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Whatever they do to stop us sharing music, a new way will be found. File-Sharing doesn&#39;t reduce there selling markets, its just a select group (even if it is increasing) that file share. If they stop us, we arent going to want to go and buy music we havent "sampled", we&#39;re gunna pirate it or find some illegal meathod of obtaining it. Sueing File-Sharers is the dumbest ("if that is even a word) to do at this moment, there will be another scheme just around the corner that will step into file-sharings place, didnt they learn anything from Napster?&#33;&#33;&#33;

P.S. Does anyone have any information on the amount you are sharing relating to the illeagality&#39;s of it? If you do pleas email it to me on [email protected]

Power to the Share Monkeys&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :ph34r: