PDA

View Full Version : Invison Board Or Phpbb

shn
06-29-2003, 09:25 PM
I like invision power boards but phpbb has been around for a while. And its fully free. Invion is only free if you keep their logo I think. :rolleyes:

Illuminati
06-29-2003, 09:46 PM
I've started to prefer Invision over any other forum system I used in the past - Full stop.

The PHP/MySQL requirement can be a bitch to some who only have ISP webspace (e.g. NTLworld webspace), but once you get past that I find it's the most attractive and simplest, both for members & admin (I'm actually setting up a forum for an event in the next two weeks, and when I'd have spent two days setting up a forum using EzBoard, I only spend 90 minutes on Invision doing more that I could with EzBoard.

Put short - I'd love to see another forum system cut up Invision's software :D

tHe LiNk
06-30-2003, 01:31 AM
phpBB, its just so easy to customize and build upon.

Zirondi
06-30-2003, 01:37 AM
I have to go with InvisionBoard.

I have used the software for god knows how long and i've never had any problems installing or running it.

To me, phpBB looks so 'unfinished' compared to InvisionBoard. The default design and even skinned look awful, yet with InvisionBoard, the templates are easy to customise as well as pretty much any aspect that you can end up with a board that no longer looks like InvisionBoard.

Its fast, easy to install, easy to run and has a great range of features.

Also, there's more support for 'hacks' to enhance the functionality of the board (www.ibplanet.com). There's loads of Skins and Hacks there.

ultimatejester
06-30-2003, 01:40 AM
i agree with the link

tite-wad
06-30-2003, 02:07 AM
From an end user point of view, I prefer the Invision boards to the phpbb boards I have visited.
They seem more functional and quicker too. http://members.roadfly.com/tite-wad/thumb.gif

I.am
06-30-2003, 06:11 AM
I agree with Illiminati & tite-wad, I prefer Invision Board as well. Much easier to use in the administrative level. Also I run a forum in invision board and you dont need to have their logo.

Range
05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I'd say both I cant wait till phpbb3 comes out, and I love IPB too, for my site I found a host that gives IPB 2.0.4. :D

Samurai
05-20-2005, 04:31 PM
phpBB

and as for 'hacks', they can be found here: http://www.phpbbhacks.com/

Illuminati
05-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Christ - This has risen from the grave like an extra from the Thriller video :blink:

uNz[i]
05-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Christ - This has risen from the grave like an extra from the Thriller video :blink:

Yeah.. I believe it's called "necro-posting".

Illuminati
05-20-2005, 05:07 PM
']Yeah.. I believe it's called "necro-posting".

Wouldn't it be Jacko-posting in this case? ;)

uNz[i]
05-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Only if Vincent Price does the narration.

S!X
05-21-2005, 02:43 AM
IPB All the way. Phpbb sux0rz, I hate everthing about it, mainly its icons and layout.

tesco
05-21-2005, 02:47 AM
ha, so old.

but i'll put my opinions in anyway.

PHPBB is way easier to mod, or so i've heard, so i'd go with that. :01:

I'm liking working in vb as well, so that would be my choice as well.

IPB can rot in hell :D :lol:

Illuminati
05-21-2005, 08:22 AM
IPB can rot in hell :D :lol:

Have to go with that now - God knows what I was thinking back then :D

On a side note rossco, just out of curiosity is FST's copy a nullified copy or a licenced one?

tesco
05-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Have to go with that now - God knows what I was thinking back then :D

On a side note rossco, just out of curiosity is FST's copy a nullified copy or a licenced one?
Licensed.
Else we wouldn't be able to get the arcade, portal, and lots of other hacks we put in.

edit: well, i guess we could have gotten that on a p2p program somewhere...but the point is, it's licensed. :P