PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Be Safe

wezman2k
06-30-2003, 07:30 AM
i have a good collection of music files that i would like to share...but i feel guilty not sharing them because of this whole riaa suing incident. what can i do???

DVD PIRATE II
06-30-2003, 07:48 AM
NO MATTER WHAT ANY ONE TELLS YA U CAN NEVER REALLY BE SAFE..WITH 3000000+ USERS ONLINE THE CHANCE OF U GETTIG PULLED UP ARE SLIM TO NONE.THE RIAA SEEM TO BE GOING FOR ALL THE SHARKS IN THE POND,ALL THE LITTLE FISH SEEM TO BE SAFE. A GOOD START WOULD BE THE PRIVACY PATCH...WOT VERSION OF KAZAA U USING? THE LATEST HAS THIS BUILT IN TO IT..UNDER OPTIONS /MOREOPTIONS, TICK THE BOX THAT SAYS BLOCK OTHER USERS FROM GETTING A LIST OF YOUR FILES IS A GOOD START I SUPPOSE...PEER GUARDIAN IS ANOTHER THING THATS SUPPOSED TO WORK,BUT YOU CAN NEVER REALLY TELL AT THE END OF THE DAY

<_< <_< <_< <_<

Damnatory
06-30-2003, 07:58 AM
And though it may not be proven to work, PeerGuardian is a good way to cover you ass alittle too.

BROCKSTER
06-30-2003, 08:33 AM
get peerguardien its better to safer :D

p.s dvd pirate wots with the SHOUTING??????? :P

hugoharding
06-30-2003, 05:21 PM
The best way to be safe is just not to download and uplaoad about 20 GB each day, every day. They only go for people who upload and download huge amounts of it, as they think the best way to stop p2p is by cutting out people who upload the most, but they&#39;re wrong.

Wolfmight
06-30-2003, 05:23 PM
i&#39;m takin a break and startin to workout. Been 3 weeks now prob burned about 500 cals per day since i spend atleast 40 mins toward the workout. :)

kb123
06-30-2003, 07:11 PM
The way I look at this problem of being caught is this. No amount of firewalls, Peer Guardian or whatever can stop an official of a legal organization downloading KaZaa as we all have done, searching for any file they fancy and finding who is sharing that file and remember these organizations can afford to employ the best brains in the land to do this. In the mean time keep everything crossed and pray its not you. ;)

Switeck
07-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by kb123@30 June 2003 - 14:11
No amount of firewalls, Peer Guardian or whatever can stop an official of a legal organization downloading KaZaa as we all have done, searching for any file they fancy and finding who is sharing that file and remember these organizations can afford to employ the best brains in the land to do this.If they use regular Kazaa and something like KazaaSearch and you&#39;re behind a router and NOT using KaNAT, then them finding your REAL ip (as opposed to the LAN ip that kazaa reports in SEARCHES) is far more difficult&#33;

If they&#39;re behind a router and/or firewall themselves, it becomes nearly impossible.

We&#39;ve been arguing about the problems of being behind a router in the developement and problems forums for over 5 months -- but right now it might be a minor bonus. DOUBLY so if you turn port-forwarding of UDP packets on port 1214 off -- then they can only connect by TCP to you, which further eliminates their options and hurts you little (further) because you&#39;re already registered as a firewalled source.

dave
07-01-2003, 07:50 PM
If you are using kazaa lite, use the privacy patch. Also, use a good SOCKS5 proxy to hide your ip. A SOCKS5 proxy won&#39;t help you if your ISP is watching you. If you are worried that the RIAA is watching you through your ISP, you should use a program like Filetopia (www.filetopia.com). Set up filetopia to use a SOCKS5 proxy to hide your IP address. Then configure it to use 448 bit Blowfish encryption. This way when your ISP looks through your log files, all they will be able to see will be encrypted. Blowfish is a great algorithm&#33;

SharedFolderAus
07-03-2003, 04:20 AM
From what I hear, the best way you can be safe is to wear a condom :P

Haven&#39;t you heard the saying, "If it&#39;s not on, it&#39;s not on".

So just keep a good supply handy and if the RIAA wants to bring Sue around you&#39;ll be ready. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FTFakes
07-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Switeck@1 July 2003 - 20:53
If they use regular Kazaa and something like KazaaSearch and you&#39;re behind a router and NOT using KaNAT, then them finding your REAL ip (as opposed to the LAN ip that kazaa reports in SEARCHES) is far more difficult&#33;
Difficult? They only have to download something from you to get your real IP. And even PeerGuardian can&#39;t prefent them from getting it&#33;

PeerGuardian has a big disadvantage. It doesn&#39;t block connections, it only cancels existing ones. My computer was able to send 2 IP packets to an address that was blocked before PeerGuardian was able to cancel the connection.

Even one single packet is enought to get your real IP&#33; Now, what do you think how save you are?

It&#39;s better to use a good personal firewall to block IP ranges, as they can really block traffic&#33; And even then you have to hope that they are not using an unblockt IP range, or haven&#39;t hired another company which has unknown IP&#39;s.

I aree with DVD PIRATE II and kb123. If you are a big shark in the pond then they will be after you. And if they want your ass they will get it&#33;

...sad but true.

Switeck
07-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by FTFakes+3 July 2003 - 12:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FTFakes @ 3 July 2003 - 12:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@1 July 2003 - 20:53
If they use regular Kazaa and something like KazaaSearch and you&#39;re behind a router and NOT using KaNAT, then them finding your REAL ip (as opposed to the LAN ip that kazaa reports in SEARCHES) is far more difficult&#33;Difficult? They only have to download something from you to get your real IP. And even PeerGuardian can&#39;t prevent them from getting it&#33;

PeerGuardian has a big disadvantage. It doesn&#39;t block connections, it only cancels existing ones. My computer was able to send 2 IP packets to an address that was blocked before PeerGuardian was able to cancel the connection.

Even one single packet is enought to get your real IP&#33; Now, what do you think how saFe you are? [/b][/quote]
If they are ALSO behind a router (using NAT), then they WON&#39;T connect to you unless they&#39;re using (or you&#39;re using) something like KaNAT.

They can even get your ip address from searches if you&#39;re not behind a router.

Peer Guardian is only semi-effective at preventing them from getting pieces of your files to verify copyright violations.

But it seems they&#39;re not doing that because they don&#39;t believe proving any of the data they&#39;ve collected is neccessary. After all, they&#39;ve already branded you as guilty... you&#39;re using a file-sharing program AND you&#39;re on the internet&#33;