PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Isp Starts Kazaa Proxy

VB
06-30-2003, 02:28 PM
Dutch article (http://www.emerce.nl/archives/nieuws/Media_Marketing/15141.html)

The Dutch ISP Wanadoo is going to have a proxy server dedicated to Kazaa.

It will cache 800 GB of files that are downloaded through Kazaa. The goal is to reduce international traffic with is more expensive as internal network traffic. When you download a file, their routers will check if it is in the cache, and if it is you will download it directly from the cache instead of from the actual source.

The cache will be constantly refreshed with new files. According to European laws caching of files is completely legal as long as those files are not kept in the cache longer than 48 hours. In the case of caching, it does not matter if the files are copyrighted or not.

-=Cyrus=-
06-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Will you be implementing proxie methods into K-lite?

4play
06-30-2003, 03:36 PM
that would be pretty cool. still i dont speak dutch so the article is kinda hard to follow.

will outside users such as non wanadoo users be able to go through the proxy, if so hopefully it will be anon :D

VB
06-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by =Cyrus=-@30 June 2003 - 17:25
Will you be implementing proxie methods into K-lite?
K-Lite doesn't need to be changed for this. :D

VB
06-30-2003, 03:55 PM
I think it will all Kazaa traffic will automaticly go through the proxy, so people don't have to mess around with the settings themselves.

Also, It will be for Wanadoo users only.

{I}{K}{E}
06-30-2003, 04:19 PM
Will it also cache illegal files?

Amarjit
06-30-2003, 04:25 PM
I found a translator for Dutch to English.

Wanadoo introduces cache for KaZaA-users

Through: Jan Libbenga 

Monday, 30 June 2003 

Wanadoo the Netherlands has if first internetaanbieder in the Netherlands a cache for users of the uitwisselprogramma KaZaA introduced. Many question truces can as much more fast are raised. The cache appears highlyest controversial, because KaZaA often becomes uses for it raise of illegal mp3-bestanden and software and Wanadoo self asset appears with to work at the spread of these truces. 

The cache has been developed by Joltid, the Swedish business behind the FastTrack platform that to foundation lies at KaZaA and other pear to pear-services. Wanadoo want with the cache the data traffic via international networks push back to save round expenses and the quality of the network raise. Pear-to-pear (P2P) applications as KaZaA its responsible for to slightest 25 per cent of the transmissieverkeer by Wanadoo.
On the so-called peercache of Wanadoo stands 0,8 terabyte at data. By Wanadoo looks KaZaA first or the sought truce on the cache stands, is that not the case, than becomes the truce still of a far computer raised. Normal finds the exchange of truces place between of users mutual. KaZaA refers via a network of connected computers alone to the locations which the truces be to be found. The only crucial difference by Wanadoo is that many question truces unrecognizably subdivided in the form of data objects on local servers be placed.

"We have legal let sort out or it can," says Lammert of Raan, manager Business Development of Wanadoo. "Caching is according to European Guidelines toegestaan meanwhile the truces not longer than 48 hour on the serve remain stand." Also has Wanadoo according to Van Raan quite well looked at the recent lawsuits against Grokster and Morpheus, that both use make of the FastTrack platform of Joltid, and the pronunciation in higher occupation in the affair of copyrights organization BUMA STEMRA against KaZaA.

Wanadoo sought already in 2001 contacts with Joltid round the cache to develop. Is initially also over different applications spoken, as the spread by software and music against payment, but that has now that even no priority more. The peercache yields Wanadoo concrete savings. Also other Dutch providers have geëxperimenteerd with the software, but that hooked off because the savings initially disappointed. Wanadoo is however doorgegaan. "The investments we have in six months terugverdiend," according to Van Raan. Also other Wanadoo establishments in Europe will in the application interested be.

Joltid appears with its peercache a gold mine to have tap. In countries where broad tie yet very duration is, as in Japan and eastern Europe, is awful many question to the software.

The Swedish business is otherwise not concerned there the marketing and distribution of KaZaA, for that is a separate business Sharman in it live shouting. Sharman appears especially to want to earn at the many spy- and adware that with the program becomes meegeleverd. Town more users hook off and walk over on the free of charge scattered KaZaA Lite. Wanadoo has considered round an own KaZaA version out to bring, also without advertisements, but that plans its in the refrigerator gezet.

A few words obviously not translated correctly ... :rolleyes:

nostalgia
06-30-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Amarjit@30 June 2003 - 16:25
internetaanbieder = ISP
uitwisselprogramma = Fileshareprog
mp3-bestanden = mp3 files
transmissieverkeer = transmission-traffic
toegestaan = allowed
geëxperimenteerd = experimented
terugverdiend = earned back (cashflow)
meegeleverd = distributed
refrigerator gezet = put on halt

A few words obviously not translated correctly ... :rolleyes:
A few words? The translator was sleeping during English class :lol:

VB
06-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@30 June 2003 - 18:19
Yes!

{I}{K}{E}
06-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Paul+30 June 2003 - 19:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Paul &#064; 30 June 2003 - 19:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-{I}{K}{E}@30 June 2003 - 18:19
Yes&#33; [/b][/quote]
:D I hope @home will do the same