PDA

View Full Version : Are You Scared Of The Riaa?

Messican
06-30-2003, 05:43 PM
I am very, very scared. In fact, I took off my KaZaA Lite. I plan to put it back on in like 2 months. That is a long time!

{I}{K}{E}
06-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Paul@20 June 2003 - 15:38
1) RIAA is an American organisation. They have absolutely no juristiction outside the USA.

2) Potential targets of the RIAA are only people who download and upload several GB per DAY.

3) Even if you are one of the few who download so much music, then Kazaa Lite has an option to hide your list of shared files. It will then look like you share nothing at all.

4) There are millions of people in the USA alone that participate in file-sharing. Everytime the RIAA is in the news, they have 'caught' only a handfull of people (only 0 to 5 people per month!). So your changes of getting 'caught' are less than 1 to a million. Or virtually 0 when one of the reasons above applies.

5) Those few people that got 'caught' usually only received a warning letter. There are only a few cases known of people who actually got a fine. The highest one was $7,500 for some student that was sharing 1 MILLION mp3 files.

Conclusion: happy filesharing to everybody :lol:

Messican
06-30-2003, 05:50 PM
I'm still scared, though. :angry:

{I}{K}{E}
06-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Messican@30 June 2003 - 19:50
I'm still scared, though. :angry:
there is no need to be scared :) do you live in the US?

Paul_NFFC
06-30-2003, 05:53 PM
am i scared/..am i fuck :lol:

Switeck
06-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Don't be afraid of the boogymen!
Hunt them down and expose them. B)

Once you learn more about them, you'll learn that they have limitations to how they can scan us:
1.legal ones -- they can't just hack into your computer and use ANYTHING they gather in a court of law or it won't be YOU that goes to jail/gets sued/etc... :D
2.technological ones -- their tools have to work inside the confines of how fasttrack networks (and windows file sharing) works, they CAN be blocked (if their ip ranges are known) by firewalls capable of blocking all internet traffic from specific ip ranges (Peer Guardian has some limitations in that regard, but has improved immensely from its first incarnation.) In short, just because you've HAD stuff they might be looking for on KL++ doesn't mean they can SEE that now. If you do a complete reinstall and only search for legal stuff and share only legal stuff -- or rather stuff RIAA doesn't care about -- then you're pretty safe. (Just make sure what directories you are sharing on your hard dirve/s! This may make a decent legal defense, because inadvertently sharing files/directories is a common problem.)
3.psychological ones -- there are certain behaviors that although quasi-legal or totally legal that the RIAA probably won't do because it's either a blind spot due to their M.O. (method of business) or because they don't see it as cost-effective. This includes trying to track every p2p user. Instead they do spot/point checks and semi-random ip sweeps, because at the moment they don't seem to mind if 90+% of file sharers slip through their grasp. When they lock onto a particular file-sharer, they may rescan their shared files pretty often -- but expect that sharer to retain the same ip address. If you're rotating your files DAILY and jumping ips each day as well, you may not be safe but they may have a harder time connecting your temp ip with your actual name+location.

The more we know about them, the more they are forced to react to OUR moves than the other way around. Scanning the search engines (and USENET) for (accidentally?) cached listings of corporate memos from these businesses. Doing whois on 'strange' ips that connect to your computer. Finding every bit of press releases and messages the RIAA has sent to companies about how they will/are scanning for MP3 files would be helpful. Finding out what techology firms are 'business partners' with RIAA can quickly help us narrow down our search for their tracking devices/methods.

Remember that the big media (newspapers, tv news, online press) releases about how RIAA is going after MP3 file swappers is PUBLICITY as much or more than FACT. They want you to believe one thing... and not know the truth.

I'm_going_slightly_mad
06-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Messican@30 June 2003 - 12:43
I am very, very scared. In fact, I took off my KaZaA Lite. I plan to put it back on in like 2 months. That is a long time!
I believe the RIAA is really looking for those who actually share lots of "illegal" MP3s. In other words, they will be looking at the lists of what users share. K-Lite gives you the choice to make it appear that you are not sharing. While this might make you look like a leech to others, I think it is better than having the RIAA see the files.

I really am not all that worried. Sure, the RIAA will probably sue some file sharers, but most of what they are doing is a scare tactic designed to scare people from sharing, thus ruining the network of sharers. I feel as long as I have my option to hide my files enabled, most likely I will not come under the RIAA's radar. Everyone needs to do this and everyone needs to remember that just because a user's files do not come up, that does not mean they are not sharing.

Cheers, Matey! :pirate:

(¯`·._.·[Rob]·._.·´¯)
06-30-2003, 06:38 PM
http://www.digichapman.com/riaa-hacked.jpg

riaa - hacked

Rat Faced
06-30-2003, 07:11 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(¯`·._.·[Rob]·._.·´¯)
06-30-2003, 07:13 PM
i am going to buy a hat

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/images/store.gif

Reggies19
06-30-2003, 08:21 PM
i live in the USA and I'm not scared..but then again, I don't really download music.. i'm a movie person

Messican
07-01-2003, 03:47 AM
I live in the U.S....

Messican
07-01-2003, 03:49 AM
I had a bunch of songs on my com, but deleted KaZaA Lite.

Messican
07-01-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Reggies19@30 June 2003 - 20:21
i live in the USA and I'm not scared..but then again, I don't really download music.. i'm a movie person
They are going for the people that d-load movies, too!

Jibbler
07-01-2003, 04:36 AM
No, i'm not scared a bit. The technology is progressing much faster than the few court cases which we see in the news. Filesharing is here to stay. :huh: