PDA

View Full Version : Do You Refill Ink Cartridges?

Spindulik
07-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Wasn't sure what forum to ask this in, but all of the smart people are here... (you can talk about anything here). Not quite software, not a K-Lite question. Not exactly a tip or FAQ. Not really a solid hardware question. Just a question...

...but I have an interesting idea.

I got a photo printer with very expensive cartridges. The color cartridge is easy to fill because it uses the standard 3 colors for refill.

The Photo cartridge uses BLACK, and that is simple, but the other two colors are Light-Cyan and Light-Magenta.

I figure that I might be able to use the regular Cyan ink and dilute it with distilled water to create a Light-Cyan, then refill the ink tank. Do the same with the magenta.

Has anyone done this yet? If so, what is the ideal mixture? 50% water and 50% ink?

J'Pol
07-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Are the inks water soluble ?

lynx
07-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Nope, that doesn't work.

Be careful to make sure you get the right inks for your printer.

There are differences between the pigments for HP epson canon etc. and even different ones for different printers from the same manufacturer, but you can't tell with the naked eye until you actually print something (and by that time of course it's too late).

Even BLACK is not the same.

If your cartridge has a chip (eg epson) you will also need a chip resetter.

It doesn't really matter which manufacturer it is, the cost is about the same, but getting the wrong ones means you've wasted the ink and the cartridge(s).

ToraBoraDweller
07-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Try posting again in hardwareworld.
I think it depends also on the brand of your printer there are special tipsforums on the web (try Googling for refill + cartridges).

btw : you don't have to stick to the same brand of refills there are now a lot of cheaper alternatives.(not as cheap as water though :rolleyes: )

Spindulik
07-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by lynx@1 July 2003 - 11:40
Nope, that doesn't work.

Be careful to make sure you get the right inks for your printer.

There are differences between the pigments for HP epson canon etc. and even different ones for different printers from the same manufacturer, but you can't tell with the naked eye until you actually print something (and by that time of course it's too late).

Even BLACK is not the same.

If your cartridge has a chip (eg epson) you will also need a chip resetter.

It doesn't really matter which manufacturer it is, the cost is about the same, but getting the wrong ones means you've wasted the ink and the cartridge(s).
I don't deal with Epson, because I don't want them "telling me what to do with my equipment". I threw out an old $500.00 piece of crap Epson printer last month.

I do have ink specifically for Lexmark KODAK printers. I have a lot of that ink in huge bottles. The worse I can do is ruin a cartridge, which is replaceable.

Yes, you can dilute ink with CLEAN pure water. I have done 100% flush-outs with water on HP Deskjet cartridges. You can put any color of in kin the BLACK cartridge, once you do a flush-out. I have printed with clear water, during a flush-out, to verify that the cartridge is totally clean. Creates a watermark effect on textured paper. Then refill with black ink.

J'Pol
07-01-2003, 06:51 PM
I think your idea, though it sounds sensible, will just end up with watery magenta etc.

I donīt think itīs the concentration of pigment which makes the colour, but the mixture of pigments used.

Spindulik
07-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@1 July 2003 - 11:51
I think your idea, though it sounds sensible, will just end up with watery magenta etc.

I donīt think itīs the concentration of pigment which makes the colour, but the mixture of pigments used.
I'm going to give it a try. I'll post my results when I'm done.

Lamsey
07-01-2003, 06:54 PM
I think this is more of a hardwareworld topic...

Feel free to make a public outcry if you disagree.

J'Pol
07-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik+1 July 2003 - 19:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 1 July 2003 - 19:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@1 July 2003 - 11:51

I&#39;m going to give it a try. I&#39;ll post my results when I&#39;m done. [/b][/quote]
Good lad - living on the edge as usual. I will be interested in your results.

Could you scan your result perhaps and let us see what it looks like.

Lamsey - no need to be defensive. Now you have calmed down itīs a pleasure doing business with you. No point in saying that anyway, we are all shrinking violets and wouldnīt speak up no matter what happened.

Lamsey
07-01-2003, 07:14 PM
ummm... I was extracting the Michael actually...

How are you going to get the pure water Spindulik? Distill it? :blink: :unsure:

J'Pol
07-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@1 July 2003 - 20:14

As you are only too well aware so was I, only it was the urine. :P

Lamsey
07-01-2003, 07:22 PM
:D :P :D :P :D :P

sorry, just doing some mouth exercises.

Wonder how Spindulik&#39;s getting on? Must be unable to type due to inky fingers...

lynx
07-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik@1 July 2003 - 19:50
I don&#39;t deal with Epson, because I don&#39;t want them "telling me what to do with my equipment".
I don&#39;t really understand what you mean by that.

I&#39;ve had Lexmark and HP and I won&#39;t be buying any of their expensive slow poor quality printers again.

But we all have our preferences.

Spindulik
07-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@1 July 2003 - 12:14

Where I work at, there is a lot of distilled water. (And de-ionized water too).
Anyhow, I don&#39;t think it is that critical. I&#39;ll just use water from the "Polar Water" dispenser.

Spindulik
07-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by lynx+1 July 2003 - 12:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx &#064; 1 July 2003 - 12:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spindulik@1 July 2003 - 19:50
I don&#39;t deal with Epson, because I don&#39;t want them "telling me what to do with my equipment".
I don&#39;t really understand what you mean by that.

I&#39;ve had Lexmark and HP and I won&#39;t be buying any of their expensive slow poor quality printers again.

But we all have our preferences. [/b][/quote]

You see, EPSON, has introduced a chip into each of their ink cartridges. As the ink depletes, the chip stores that information. If you try to refill the cartridge, the printer will detect that, and shut down&#33;

You need to re-program the chip (with a programming tool) to reset the chip. Every time you re-fill&#33;

The programmers work on a battery and cost about &#036;30.00. You need one for the color cartridge and for other printer models, the Black too.

lynx
07-02-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Spindulik@1 July 2003 - 21:48
The programmers work on a battery and cost about &#036;30.00. You need one for the color cartridge and for other printer models, the Black too.
Yeah, I&#39;ve got one of those, the one I&#39;ve got works on all cartridges (or at least all the ones that were around when I bought it 3 months ago). It works on originals and all the compatibles I&#39;ve used so far.

It&#39;s better than paying a fortune for a new cartridge every time one gets screwed up.
And if you do screw up an epson cartridge you can always get one without a chip for a very small amount and transfer the chip from the broken cart.

Supposed to work about 1000 times (or 10 years).

I&#39;ll post back in 5 years time and let you know if it&#39;s still working ;)