PDA

View Full Version : What To Do If The Riaa Gets Sue Happy

matt_helgren18
07-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Now, I might be called crazy, but I think this was a stroke of genius. I don't know about you, but I am watching my steps in the next few months, what with the RIAA's new authority to sue at will those of us who have copyrighted songs on our computers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,90403,00.html

Now, i know as well as you do that internet sharing will never completely die, but if this goes down, there's going to be quite a lot of work that must happen in order for p2p to continue. I know I dont want to get sued by those white collar bastards, and I'm sure you don't either. But, if this does happen, I think that somehow, somebody should find a way to open CD rental stores. Why not? It's just like a video rental store. People can still (AND DO) pirate those. If they could open up nation-wide, the RIAA would shit themselves and lose even more money while they are at it. Just a thought i figured people should know. In theory, it works...

ghost944
07-02-2003, 02:45 PM
why the hell does everyone talk about the riaa now the chances are that you are going to get cought by them are quite slim

matt_helgren18
07-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Oh i wont get caught. But what the hell are we going to do when over 50% of the P2P users sh!t themselves and delete their shareware? you know that most of the kazaa users are about as computer literate as a rock.

ghost944
07-02-2003, 03:01 PM
they can do what the hell they want there the ones being paranoid and deleating there files and then if they havent backed thm up then what a pitty cuz they will have to get them all again.
And why is everybody acting like a bunch of scared girlies because likei said the chances of them getting you are quite slim.

MetroStars
07-02-2003, 03:28 PM
I would like 2 know how RIAA plan 2 get money from us ---

Because we r all average people i Doubt their r any Millionaires amoungst us... take me for example i don't have much so if i get get caught and the RIAA plan to sue me - how r they going 2 get money from me i don't have any thing to pay them with -- what r they going 2 do take my wages -- I will just quit work and live of the state then how do they plan to get money from me - they can't that's how...

burnyass
07-02-2003, 03:34 PM
i really don't get this. when u usually buy a cd , theres 1 or 2 good songs on there. so why waste your money? thats why p2p was born and the RIAA is trying to take that away form us

shotglass
07-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by MetroStars@2 July 2003 - 15:28
I would like 2 know how RIAA plan 2 get money from us ---

Because we r all average people i Doubt their r any Millionaires amoungst us... take me for example i don't have much so if i get get caught and the RIAA plan to sue me - how r they going 2 get money from me i don't have any thing to pay them with -- what r they going 2 do take my wages -- I will just quit work and live of the state then how do they plan to get money from me - they can't that's how...
That is the sound of a 13-year-old digging his heels in the ground.

"Wahhhh...you sue me, I'll just sit here and not do anything. I'll teach YOU."

Geeeeeez.

Another thought...those of you who aren't concerned about the RIAA, clue everyone else in on what you know and we don't. And I don't mean stupid, mindless "We're Kazaa, we rule" stuff. I mean something constructive, some good reason why we would not be caught.

And you don't get this? You really don't think that the musicians have some sort of reason to be concerned that we upload all their music and they don't see one red cent from us? Well, you should at least be honest enough to understand there are two sides to the issue. If you can't do that...well, I just don't know. Then you would seem to just be seeing what you want to see.

Hey, I want to keep using Kazaa too. But I see a real and present danger here. Somebody tell me EXACTLY why I shouldn't. Better yet, somebody convince me that I shouldn't just leech, and you'd better give me a better answer than, "You're a #%^%$# if you do."

MetroStars
07-02-2003, 10:15 PM
dude your pritty up tight i was just saying how i would protect myself if the RIAA caught me and decided 2 sue me...

Total_CDRW
07-02-2003, 10:30 PM
I've found the best thing in the world to solve this, it's called PGP Personal Edition, PGP Drive... I mount PGP encrypted "virtual drives" according to my Private Key and simple dismount them with a "single click" if somebody comes knocking, or the telephone rings i just click "UnMount All Drives" I may sound paranoid :unsure: but at least i'm not worrying about 'them' anymore... i can keep my movies, and still share my movies, just toss those old CDRs and i'll be good... or mabe even wait for them to delaminate...

For $50 i paid for their Personal Edition (no i couldnt find a crack, nor do i want Cracked Encryption Software just something i wouldn't trust ever, and the fact that it has a online activation) which has PGP drive, their Free version doesnt, but the encryption is still neat, and the free version includes PGP Drive Wipe to shred all those old files you deleted but are still hiding on your drive.

loz
07-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Doesn't windows washer do the same thing?

shotglass
07-03-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by MetroStars@2 July 2003 - 22:15
dude your pritty up tight i was just saying how i would protect myself if the RIAA caught me and decided 2 sue me...
"pritty up tight"?

We'll speak no more until you buy a dictionary.

cRuLo
07-03-2003, 09:04 AM
This is in response to artists not seeing a cent from us, that is true whether we buy the cd or download it. Artists are paid through a contract, they don't see shyt from the actual purchase of the cd. That is where the record companies get their money. And if you are so paranoid about getting caught, which you probably won't, then just mask your ip. That's right, spoof it. I spoof mine 24/7. I do not leave an ip trail. The ip monitored by this forum (if it is) is wrong.

m8t
07-03-2003, 11:10 AM
:D
hi there !
i have hundreds of mp3's in My Shared Folder.
i BOUGHT the lot of them(sure)
try proving otherwise !
they are my property and i'm going to share.
regards
m8t :rolleyes:

MetroStars
07-03-2003, 11:19 AM
We'll speak no more until you buy a dictionary.

fuck man this is not english class i speak how I type -- fucking newbie asshole

shotglass
07-03-2003, 05:52 PM
There isn't anything newbie about spelling right. You're not showing your message-board sophistication; you're showing that you're uneducated.

shotglass
07-03-2003, 06:05 PM
m8t ... I hear what you're saying. And I empathize with you.

But if it ever came to that (and I doubt that it would), you've got to understand that these people consider sharing "your property" as much a crime as uploading it in the first place.

They wouldn't much care about where you got it from.

Another point here. How about everybody take a moratorium from using the word "paranoid"? There's a clear and present threat out there, and there's nothing paranoid about taking whatever measures necessary to avoid prosecution. The people using the word "paranoid" are the super-geeks who think they know every way around computers and the RIAA. And I hope they're right. Because if they're not, they'll get to be real "paranoid" in a little while.

Ikafer
07-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Won't loose any sleep over this .... RIAA ....

matt_helgren18
07-04-2003, 04:49 AM
Thank you shotglass. It isnt paranoid to be safe. Because there are going to be a few people getting sued, potentially a few going to jail over this. It will happen. probably not to me, but why should i take a chance over something so insignificant in my life? I lock my doors at night. Not that i really ever stop to think that my house is going to be broken into, but just in case. christ, one time i went into a grocery store to buy some Easy mac and when i got back to my car, the speakers and cd player magically disappeared... 5 minutes for easy mac, and my stereo is ripped off. hehe, a lil off topic, but you get the point!

shotglass
07-04-2003, 08:11 PM
matt, my friend, you nailed right there. I don't break a lot of laws, and I don't spend my life looking over my shoulder. So if this is going to make me look over my shoulder, it just may not be worth the hassle.

(But geez, I do like getting the stuff... :ph34r:

Jibbler
07-04-2003, 08:43 PM
This is just the kind of response the RIAA wants. They are trying to scare you into thinking that sharing music is a crime. In fact, the crime is being committed by the industry. I buy CDs, and in some instances, due to copy protection, I can't make multiple copies for my car, house, work, etc. Do they think that I'm going to buy 3 copies of the same CD? I ask you who is committing the crime? The industry is forcing me to download mp3s to make backup copies of music that I have legitimately paid for. :huh:

Jonne
07-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by matt_helgren18@2 July 2003 - 15:31
Now, I might be called crazy, but I think this was a stroke of genius. I don't know about you, but I am watching my steps in the next few months, what with the RIAA's new authority to sue at will those of us who have copyrighted songs on our computers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,90403,00.html

Now, i know as well as you do that internet sharing will never completely die, but if this goes down, there's going to be quite a lot of work that must happen in order for p2p to continue. I know I dont want to get sued by those white collar bastards, and I'm sure you don't either. But, if this does happen, I think that somehow, somebody should find a way to open CD rental stores. Why not? It's just like a video rental store. People can still (AND DO) pirate those. If they could open up nation-wide, the RIAA would shit themselves and lose even more money while they are at it. Just a thought i figured people should know. In theory, it works...
Isn't there something called 'libraries' in your neighbourhood? The library in my town has lots of cd's, and i have ripped some of them, and, i'm sharing them...
That idea isn't that revolutionary...

@metro: it's football, not soccer!

evilbagpuss
07-05-2003, 04:59 AM
Get out from under your bridge shotglass...

Originally posted by shotglass
message-board sophistication

and you can have a nice warm glass of hypocrisy to go with your main course of irony.

:D

shotglass
07-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Whatever that means ... OK.

If you think I'm going to apologize for THAT, you must think I care about what you think, which I really, really don't.

shotglass
07-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@4 July 2003 - 20:43
This is just the kind of response the RIAA wants. They are trying to scare you into thinking that sharing music is a crime. In fact, the crime is being committed by the industry. I buy CDs, and in some instances, due to copy protection, I can't make multiple copies for my car, house, work, etc. Do they think that I'm going to buy 3 copies of the same CD? I ask you who is committing the crime? The industry is forcing me to download mp3s to make backup copies of music that I have legitimately paid for. :huh:
Dude, if that's what you tell yourself to make yourself feel better, god love ya. :lol:

Now tell me that everybody's downloading MP3s of music they've already bought. Then tell me about some swamp land in Florida you're trying to sell.

ButWay
07-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Another point here. How about everybody take a moratorium from using the word "paranoid"? There's a clear and present threat out there, and there's nothing paranoid about taking whatever measures necessary to avoid prosecution. The people using the word "paranoid" are the super-geeks who think they know every way around computers and the RIAA. And I hope they're right. Because if they're not, they'll get to be real "paranoid" in a little while.

paranoia is awareness

but for most people out side of the US it's chill for now

evilbagpuss
07-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by shotglass
Whatever that means ... OK.

I meant your flamebait replies to metrostars. Is amnesia a regular problem for you? Or let me guess.. you cant remember :lol:

The "under your bridge" bit was a reference to you trolling, get it?

The "message-board sophistication" bit should make more sense to you now :D

killerc4
07-09-2003, 02:21 AM
:D haha that thread was great! Very soap operaish. There was the main conflict (riaa suing p2p users), and a bunch of side stories! Like the two posters that got into a net fight over spelling! :lol: that was great. Then to tie it all up we even questioned whether sharing music you own is legal or not. :P. Almost makes me wanna throw away my tv. Good god I need to get off the computer!

Darkgoku
07-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Hey evrybdy im only 13 do u guyz think tey can hold anything against me they cant get money from me im only a kid what do u guyz think?*?*?*?*? :unsure:

timeisntreal
07-09-2003, 10:31 PM
From what i have seen the Riaa hasnt sued a single user yet. They keep going after people that create systems to share files. Not the users them selfs. As long as you dont open up a web site with MP3 downloads on it. You will be fine.

TIBZ
07-09-2003, 11:21 PM
well i was thinkin if u get taken to court ask them this 1 question how did u no i had illegally downloaded music on my computer and they wud probably say that they found out by doin a scan on ur computer or sumthin that wud be invasion of privacy so thats a whole diff story

DarkBlizzard
07-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by tiba06@9 July 2003 - 18:21
well i was thinkin if u get taken to court ask them this 1 question how did u no i had illegally downloaded music on my computer and they wud probably say that they found out by doin a scan on ur computer or sumthin that wud be invasion of privacy so thats a whole diff story
no they would say they asked your ISP for a list and they would give the list to the judge to show him how much bandwidth you took up so they thought you were illegel uploading files.

oscatank
07-10-2003, 02:23 AM
OK, can someone please tell the difference in downloading a mp3 and tapeing a regular TV show? Now befor everybody goes ape shit ,just listen ,let's say oooohh Madonna for instance, is going out shoping and is going to miss "Debbie Does The World" or whatever. Now she comes home and pops in the tape. Is there ANYBODY out there that thinks she is going to sit through the commercials?! Well wait a minute these commercials are what are paying for the show your watching right? Without the ads where would the networks get the money to put on the show you want to watch? In a world where even Grandma has 2 VCR's and alot of people have PVR's this seems to be the same problem. So why arn't the networks screaming up a storm about PVR's ? Seems like stealing to me, I think Madonna and Lars and every other rich rock star needs to take a good look at how much they have and leave us poor fucks alone, if I had an abundance of money i would just buy the damn CD. I know that it's not really the stars that are sueing us directly but they have been the voice from the begining. Oh well can't get blood from a turnip. let them sue, lets see they are fileing hundreds of suits, last i heard kazaa was the most downloaded program ever. Like 23 million times and thats just kazaa. I THINK I'M SAFE

Darkgoku
07-10-2003, 03:25 PM
I have to go wit u on that one oscatank ;)