PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Protect Myself From The Riaa?

Terminus Est
07-02-2003, 08:18 PM
Recently I got a little alarmed by what I saw on the news and I wish to have the right protection against them. First of all, how does the RIAA track down Kazaa lite users? Secondly I found out that K-lite doesn't have a "disable file-sharing" option.

The Knife Thrower
07-02-2003, 08:39 PM
A simple way to hide from the RIAA:

Close kazaa
Turn off your PC
Fake your own death
Get a sex change
etc etc

Terminus Est
07-02-2003, 08:45 PM
What the hell?

*knocks on Knife Thrower's head*

Hello! Hello, anybody home?

Listen chump I'm new here, and I don't understand why dont you treat newbies nicely and not rudely like you just did now.

theprisoner
07-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Its pretty simple- 1. Get Peerguardian(get their hole list of ranges). 2. A Firewall(can sometimes protect your ip) 3. Use the Privacy Patch under Options-More Options(you share but noone can see a list of your files). :D

J'Pol
07-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by theprisoner@2 July 2003 - 22:03
Its pretty simple- 1. Get Peerguardian(get their hole list of ranges). 2. A Firewall(can sometimes protect your ip) 3. Use the Privacy Patch under Options-More Options(you share but noone can see a list of your files). :D
What number 6 said. Make sure you get the official PG list thoī, not the one that blocks the internet out.

Donīt think blade boy is being too harsh new mate.

Itīs just that, at the last count, a similar thread has been started approximately 7.34 times per day for the last 19 days.

Using a proxy can also help BTW.

Terminus Est
07-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Ah that's better now. :)

JPaul I just got PeerGuardian, but where can I get the list you mentioned? I also turned off the option that lets other users see my list of files as theprisoner said.

But also I'd like to know how the RIAA looks for people on Kazaa so I will have a better understanding of things.

NightStalker
07-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Terminus Est@2 July 2003 - 21:28

JPaul I just got PeerGuardian, but where can I get the list you mentioned? I also turned off the option that lets other users see my list of files as theprisoner said.

But also I'd like to know how the RIAA looks for people on Kazaa so I will have a better understanding of things.
This (http://) should help you. ;)

Mutt_Head
07-02-2003, 09:36 PM
i think they search for files and see where they are getting them from, check ur shared folder and log ur IP, there are also rumours they will be trying to hack "barons" computers to delete there mp3 files

Long Live the ShareMonkeys

J'Pol
07-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by NightStalker+2 July 2003 - 22:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NightStalker @ 2 July 2003 - 22:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Terminus Est@2 July 2003 - 21:28

This (http://) should help you. ;) [/b][/quote]
What he said.

I use the method I posted, obviously others use the other method.

You decide what you think is best mate.

Good Luck

hellnbak
03-01-2006, 12:27 AM
I was wondering, if I remove all of my mp3s and my copy of Morpheus from my hard drive, and then do a military wipe, will this help in any way to protect myself from the wrath of the RIAA?

erRor67
03-01-2006, 12:59 AM
wtf? This thread is like three years old.. lol..

But anywayz, if the RIAA has your IP, then erasing the data wont solve your problem cause they already caught you. But i suppose you can fight them and say you never downloaded shit.

But as stated, run Peerguardian and be careful of what you share.

Tempestv
03-01-2006, 08:49 AM
he, I actually was logged for sharing an autocad image (not the cd key, technicly perfectly legal) nothing happend becuase of it, possably because of the fact that my computer died right after my ip got logged. apparently they can't touch you for downloading it, just for sharing it. I guess they do search shaired files for stuff they don't like and then track using the ip

Sneakydave
03-06-2006, 12:23 AM
How does peerguarian actually protect you anyway? I thought all it did was block known IP's so all the riaa need to do is use a different IP each day to remain unblocked...

erRor67
03-06-2006, 06:31 AM
true.. which is why its not 100% protection and its recommended u update your lists at least every other day. ;)

sick13
03-12-2006, 10:31 AM
hmmm a firewall and a encrypted hdd maybe???

horia
03-13-2006, 06:15 PM
no I don't think that would do because when an app read the HDD it decrypts so I don't think it will help.. I use PG btw...

twisterX
03-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Private Trackers on Bittorent are very good for this issue.

ninja_dark
03-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Turn off your pc