PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Video Files

rahl
07-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Hi all.

Does anyone have these 2 problems:
- Selecting a video file (.avi or .mpg) in Windows Explorer causes WE to crash?

- Unable to delete video files, with the message that it is being used by someone or some program? This happens very occasionally to one or two files. I checked - I am not playing it and neither is it being downloaded on Kazaa. I have tried exiting Kazaa but it doesn't solve the problem.

I am running Win XP Pro and latest version of Kazaalite. Not sure what else would be relevant. Have scanned the system also - it's clean.

TIA.

callum
07-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find.

iceaura
07-06-2003, 10:43 PM
Hey Thanx Callum, man i was getting pissed off with not being able to move my files and delete some that just wouldn't move.

Thanx again, worked like a charm

rahl
07-07-2003, 02:35 AM
Yup, worked for me too. Thanks B)

toddiscool
07-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Chalk Up another thanks on this one.
Great tip, one of the bigest annoyances in XP!

Thanks again, anyone who is nervous to edit your registry on info from a forum, do it is the real thing.!!