PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent vs. Newsgroups

WhiteWizard20
09-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Hi, I was wondering what is the better and safer way to go downloading things? Do you prefer downloading torrents from a private bittorrent site or newsgroups? Which private bittorrent sites and newsgroups are the best and why? I am basically looking for good speed, new and old stuff being available, willing to pay/donate money and a nice community. Thanks for all of your input.

Rpcry
09-18-2007, 04:23 AM
torrents are free and usualy faster, usenet has a lot of old files but emule too and is free

$SnoopDo2G$
09-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Newsgroups looks crappy :
*monthly fee
*old stuff
*slow ass speed

BitTorrent looks better :
*Absolutely free, thou some brainless peopz pay for invites...:rolleyes:
*Good speed on new torrents
*Scene releases
*You can support Torrent tracker only if you want, it means you don't have to pay a cent, if you don't want...
*The very wide choice in variety of tracker from Aussie to African to Asian, you have everything...

4play
09-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Newsgroups looks crappy good :
*monthly fee
*old stuff
*slow ass speed max out your connection on everything you download not just new stuff :01:
*Scene releases
*cant be caught downloading ;)
*dont have to upload to maintain ratio
*no need to scrounge around for invites to sites that will probably ban you anyway.

*Scene releases
*You can support Torrent tracker only if you want, it means you don't have to pay a cent, if you don't want...
*The very wide choice in variety of tracker from Aussie to African to Asian, you have everything...

FIXED

asdrewq
09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Depends on what sort of connection you have if you ask me. If you have assymetric speeds like most of us you are better off with newsgroups - no uploading/ratio BS just download what you want when you want at max rate.

If you are lucky enough to have a symmetric fast connection at home/own server etc use private torrent, get a killer ratio and download what you want when you want.

I have a 20/1 mbit connection and use USENET mostly, but private trackers for the occasional thing i cant find on usenet/noone will post.

huqiming
09-18-2007, 03:13 PM
if security is your main concern, go with newsgroup.

if you want free download, or getting releases at the earliest time possible (10 hours early), go with private trackers.

also for some rare files you have to go with specialized trackers.

you can max out your download speed with either a premium newsgroup server or a good private tracker.

you can request in newsgroup, but not every request is filled. probably the best private trackers will do better in this regard, but i don't know for sure.

PieFachE
09-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Newsgroups for the win.

Way i see it, i can pay a little more, but have loads more access to EVERYTHING and constantly MAX out my connection.

Plus, Newsgroups doesn't suck the shit out of your upload, so you can still do things whilst downloading.

$SnoopDo2G$
09-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Even the better thing out is still Rapidshare, Megashares and so on it's better than Newsgroups in my view, because i can compare Newsgroups to Limewire or such as emule they are slow for me...
With Rapidshare i get what i want when i want and for free since i uploaded some few things on a free account then i got premium...:D But newsgroups doesn't offer that kind of stuff, they like the money too much and advertising too much as well...

Nightshiver
09-18-2007, 11:08 PM
I prefer bittorrent, seeing as how it has always been faster for me. With newsgroups, you pay money. With rapidshare, you have to pay money if you want to actually download more than a few 100mb's.

WhiteWizard20
09-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I am a member of two private tracker sites right now and keeping a good ratio is no problem for me. I just have to seed a little more or else download partial popular torrents and seed those. I have a verizon internet connection at home. I can't wait to get fios speed sometime.

Skipinder
09-19-2007, 05:47 AM
I perfer Bittorrent because Newsgroups usually release things as so many split files. Its so much easier to download one torrent. Also my ISP limits newsgroup usage. Well they also throttle bittorrent, but there are ways around that.

IMO, Newgroups are the way to go if you have unlimited access and don't mind so many split files.

Nightshiver:
Most ISPs have their own newsgroup server

r77
09-19-2007, 08:03 AM

*old stuff
*slow ass speed

:lol:

Even the better thing out is still Rapidshare, Megashares and so on it's better than Newsgroups in my view, because i can compare Newsgroups to Limewire or such as emule they are slow for me...

PieFachE
09-19-2007, 08:21 AM

My thoughts exactly,

I don't see how usenet can be slower when it maxes out your connection, maybe you should sign up to a good usenet provider. :whistling

briand5379
09-21-2007, 06:01 AM
Security shouldn't be your focus when it relates to either as there have been some stories out recently about anti p2p companies accessing newsgroup sites.

djkemp1
09-22-2007, 08:17 PM
yes but u aren't connecting to anyone only the server, how can these anti-piracy groups be on there? is it to try and flood it with fake apps, movies etc????

Sextent
09-22-2007, 09:14 PM
I use both. Mostly Usenet, but BT for anything I can't get there.

Usenet is free with my ISP, tho' limited number of groups, so no cost implication.

Also Usenet is like BT in that even if you don't have everything just wait a day or so and it will appear on something you do have.

Cheese
09-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Newsgroups is by far the superior option between the two. Using Giganews, AltBinz and Newzbin I have 100+ days of content to download* at max speeds which downloads, fixes and extracts itself.

* As an example, Newzbin provides me with approximately 120,000 posts of content** whilst the average on my private trackers is about 10,000.

** That's new and old content. At max speed. All the time. With no need to upload.

There's no contest really.

420phil
11-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Yes, definitely newsgroups for max speed. nzbsrus.com or nzbmatrix.com are two good sites to search usenet. Similar to torrent sites. You just download a nzb file for what you want. nzbs.org is good for searching files on usenet. If you see something you want but you only see part 101 out of 200. Just add that file to your "shopping cart" at the bottom LOL! When you're done view your cart. Then create nzb it'll create an nzb file. Which tells your newsgroup reader what files to download. Just my experience and opinion.

tusks
12-27-2007, 07:46 AM
IDK what some you guys are talking about when it comes to Usenet. It really depends on where your get Usenet access from. My ISP gives me free unlimited Newsgroup axx and I can usually max my connection speed at non peak hours and I get binary retention for 100 days which is pretty decent. Releases all get to the newsgroups a few seconds or minutes after they pre and I never have to seed back. Only true benefits of torrents over newsgroups is that they can specialize in certain content like music, foreign films and they can have higher retention rates than certain Usenet providers. Speed and content both depend on what level of access you have.

tuque5889
12-27-2007, 07:47 AM
i like newsgroups because u dont have to worry about ratio

lamonkey
12-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Security shouldn't be your focus when it relates to either as there have been some stories out recently about anti p2p companies accessing newsgroup sites.

Uhm, what? Leeching from newsgroups is absolutely untracable, except by your ISP. If an "anti P2P company" has access to a "newsgroup site" (I suppose you mean a forum like this?) you're still safe, except when you go posting stuff like your IP, your real name, and a list of crimes you committed.

FatBob
12-27-2007, 09:38 PM
depends , if you take into consideration the seeding times on torrents (24/7 ) and electricity bills

i would go with NG's :D

Dionysus
12-28-2007, 03:44 PM
never checked out newsgroups as everything i want can be found on bittorrent (and its very easy to sety up)

mera
12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
I still use newsgroups these days but mainly for reading posts. You get quite an extensive choice but I just find BT easier and faster.

Kasen
12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Both have pros and cons. Torrents are faster to release, usenet is faster download with no upload. Why don't you try both then you can make up you're own mind. If you limit yourself to one you will miss out.

To everyone saying there are lots of small files, small choice, slow etc. Yes that was true years ago but things are different now. Try and find a recent guide and give Usenet a go.

tiger6ex
12-29-2007, 12:48 AM
i believe that p2p networks are the best...With the BitTorrent client you can get up to 20 MB/s depending on your provider and contract. with news groups the speed is slower, but the pres are smaller as by p2p networks

start
12-29-2007, 02:03 AM
i believe that p2p networks are the best...With the BitTorrent client you can get up to 20 MB/s depending on your provider and contract. with news groups the speed is slower, but the pres are smaller as by p2p networks

Wrong. If you go with a good Newsgroup provider, ie: Giganews. They will max out your 20mb/s connection. It's just a matter of time before you suckers get caught with torrents and wish you switched to Usenet. I don't have to seed anything back, fast speeds ALL the time on old and new content. I can download TV series that are 200 days old at FULL speeds. I use SSL with Usenet so not even my ISP knows what I'm doing. Giganews + Newzbin + Alt.binz = all you need. There really is no contest. And if you believe torrents are better - fine, don't switch. Less media coverage and public awareness about Usenet.

artsluver
12-31-2007, 12:41 AM
I did torrenting for a year and it was good...

I have now been using newsgroups for a year with a private server with retention so I pay $15/mo for it.

There is one major draw back to newsgroups... the 10 500gb hard drives I have had to buy in the past year to put stuff on.

Cheers!

Sonnentier
12-31-2007, 01:10 AM
Well basically I am open to new methods of filesharing and I tried to get into Usenet but until now I can't really see why it is so superior. I always hear that everything is on Newsgroups, but how can I find it? Using Newzbin I often get "no results" to releases I have with torrents. It may be because I often want special content as well as often preferring my regional language over english - but if people say everything is on Usenet, I am sometimes a bit disappointed.

Perhaps I just still don't have the correct acquisition to Newsgroups, to know where to find everything, especially as I often don't have access to a good service provider to try things out. But I know very nice torrent sites, now with Usenet I tried to look for nzb files if this is a sensible way to have a large horizon and I found binaries.nl to have a pretty wide palette, however I can't see it being so much better in content over the entire scene of torrents.

artsluver
12-31-2007, 06:57 AM
My advice is get newsleecher (pay for it) and it comes with a built in search engine that goes back 200 days. Then pay for access to a newserver newshosting is $15 a month for 45 days retention, but it is actually closer to 90 days. Then go crazy and start buying harddrives.

Everything is out there on newsgroups, if it is new especially. Every torrent you download probably came from the newsgroups. Take an episode of a tv show, it takes 20 minutes to download a 1 hour episode, how long does it take on torrents? hours to days, and when the seeds fall off... forever.

You may still need torrents for some of the more obscure things, demonoid used to fill the gaps for me, long live the memory of demonoid :-(

NG's are the best because you only use up bandwidth one way.

Cheers!

ghost716
01-01-2008, 05:29 AM
just go with ddls, they use servers in germany and across europe that are highly secure and no one has got busted yet using them (ie rapidshare, megaupload, megashares, depositfiles etc.)

Sonnentier
01-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Well I have a Rapidshare Premium Account and if you use it in combination with FlashGet it is indeed nice. Compared to the Usenet it is a little sphere of resources but growing. That said, the access is often nice and very easy especially if you know good boards or blogs with content you like.

Still Newsleecher with SuperSearch also looks very promising, an ocean of data in very nice interface. The cool thing is it somehow reminds me of old File-Swapping programs as you can just type what you want inside the application and get results for further procedure, backed by the technology usenet.

Anyway I would never want to miss torrents, even if it was only the aspect of community, crafting with your own technology or whatever. While you often can't get as many volume as you could with other methods, torrents are very flexible, you indeed are part in the act of filesharing and in my opinion it also carries a lot of the P2P spirit, especially like here at FileSharingTalk where we can feel a cool and active torrent scene.

RocK1984
01-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Usenet have the newest stuff, but some groups you have to pay. And most torrent site you don't have pay. If prefer torrents :)

orfik
01-01-2008, 07:10 PM
BT is superior. If you're willing to pay a monthly fee then you may as well buy a seedbox and have access to more content and more variety in private trackers.

It does depend on your interests, though. My favorite sites are KG and Waffles -- Newsgroups don't approach either of those sites in terms of content or community.

However, if ArenaBG or TL is your thing, then you might be better off with NGs.

r77
01-01-2008, 08:17 PM
i like usenet more because i can download massive dvdr dvd9 dvd live concerts without worry for my ratio or lack of seeders or low speed .i pay $9.99/month/100 days retention its not much at all compared to seedbox price

nxrisetaker
01-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Newsgroups offer the best speeds if you have the best services. The variety is limited but if you have knowledge of the groups you wish to acquire then u should be fine. Torrents offer much more in terms of content but they aren't faster than newsgroups when it comes to the elite services newsgroup servers offer.

Skiz
01-02-2008, 08:01 AM
BT is superior. If you're willing to pay a monthly fee then you may as well buy a seedbox and have access to more content and more variety in private trackers.

It does depend on your interests, though. My favorite sites are KG and Waffles -- Newsgroups don't approach either of those sites in terms of content or community.

However, Ii ArenaBG or TL is your thing, then you might be better off with NGs.

If only you knew how foolish your statement was...

Newsgroups don't approach those sites in terms of content?? That statement alone displays your outright inexperience and lack of knowledge.

As has been said by Cheese, newsgroups is by far the superior option between the two. Using Giganews, Newsbin, and Grabit I have 200+ days of content to download* at max speeds which downloads, fixes and extracts itself.

* As an example, Newzbin provides me with approximately 120,000 posts of content** whilst the average on my private trackers is about 10,000. Usenet search engines reveal hundreds of thousands of files available.

** That's new and old content. At max speed. All the time. With no need to upload.

mbucari1
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Newsgroups don't approach those sites in terms of content?? That statement alone displays your outright inexperience and lack of knowledge.

As has been said by Cheese, newsgroups is by far the superior option between the two. Using Giganews, Newsbin, and Grabit I have 200+ days of content to download* at max speeds which downloads, fixes and extracts itself.

* As an example, Newzbin provides me with approximately 120,000 posts of content** whilst the average on my private trackers is about 10,000. Usenet search engines reveal hundreds of thousands of files available.

There's no contest really.I was just about to chew him out when I read your rebuttal :)

Usenet is far superior in terms of content and speed. If I can't find something on bittorrent, I'm almost certain to find it on usenet.

Some people have said that private trackers are just as fast which is true, for the first few days. But I doubt you can find a 6 month old torrent as fast as usenet at 6 months old.

grimms
01-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I'll probably stick with bittorent. Rapidshare is the new Newsgroups to me though.

misosoup
01-02-2008, 11:24 AM
newsgroups are a great way to max out your connection for very effective leeching purposes.

ciprinho
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
definitely bittorrent

orfik
01-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Like I said, Newsgroups proved inadequate for my needs. They're probably just fine for most, though I reckon I'd still prefer BT since the rare things I get from private trackers and the mainstream things I get at full speed from public trackers.

But, just to see, can someone using Newsgroups find me a copy of Siouxsie and the Banshees Peel Sessions with log/cue, ripped in secure mode? Also, a copy of Lonely is an Eyesore, both the VHS rip and the album, in FLAC. If you can, I'll eat my words and my hat.

Skiz
01-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Like I said, Newsgroups proved inadequate for my needs. They're probably just fine for most, though I reckon I'd still prefer BT since the rare things I get from private trackers and the mainstream things I get at full speed from public trackers.

You aren't downloading your "mainstream" things from public trackers at full speed. No, no you aren't.

The two methods do compliment each other tho'. I certainly am not anti-bittorrent, but one is better than the other.

I still use bittorrent (E****) for most of my lossless needs. But when looking for anything, I check Usenet first as it is the superior method. Regardless of the popularity of the content or it's age, it will come across at full speed, no if's, and's, or but's.

But, just to see, can someone using Newsgroups find me a copy of Siouxsie and the Banshees Peel Sessions with log/cue, ripped in secure mode? Also, a copy of Lonely is an Eyesore, both the VHS rip and the album, in FLAC. If you can, I'll eat my words and my hat.

It's a petty test really. You can find things on bittorrent that Usenet doesn't have (I did not even look btw) and I could find things on Usenet that bittorrent doesn't have.

You're completely missing the full point...

yayyyyyy
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I prefer to pay for a seedbox and give back to the rest to the community instead of paying for a leech greedy warez access (at that point it's faster to buy silver dvd so you don't have to keep your pc powered up... and not even pay for a fast internet connection)...
(I'm sure nobody replying in this thread does upload to newsgroups... yeah... file sharing talk... or file downloading talk? XD)

r77
01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
hey orfik i made some search but i found only mp3
take a look at these cool screenshots
http://i13.tinypic.com/7ynmyiq.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/6owg3v5.jpg
http://www.newzleech.com/usenet/?group=&minage=&age=200&min=min&max=max&q=Siouxsie+and+the+Banshees&mode=usenet&adv=1

mbucari1
01-02-2008, 09:07 PM
don't know WTF Siouxsie is, but here are the binsearch results.

http://binsearch.info/?q=Siouxsie&max=250&adv_age=&server=

orfik
01-02-2008, 10:38 PM
You aren't downloading your "mainstream" things from public trackers at full speed. No, no you aren't.

The two methods do compliment each other tho'. I certainly am not anti-bittorrent, but one is better than the other.

I still use bittorrent (E****) for most of my lossless needs. But when looking for anything, I check Usenet first as it is the superior method. Regardless of the popularity of the content or it's age, it will come across at full speed, no if's, and's, or but's.

I'm impressed. You're an authority on my download speeds without ever having seen them. :happy:

Anyway, my experience is personal, and my opinions, while sweeping, are subjective.

To me there is no comparison: BT offers a superior selection for my interests, the organization of the tracker (genre specification and community) allow me to expand my interests, and it's free. Utterly free.

I didn't dislike NGs so much as I found I had no use for them. Again, this is probably a personal thing. I only use four BT trackers, really, and I never found anything on NGs in a better format than what I found on those trackers. Now, I understand the benefit of being able to max out your speed on every file, the huge library of files, the impressive retention, and I still maintain my opinion, so tell me what I'm missing.

In other words, what, other than impatience, would compel someone to spend extra money on NGs?

p.s., r77 & mbucari1: None of those were what I was looking for, and all can be had at no cost from emule (edit: and BT)

zizo85
01-02-2008, 11:24 PM
i love Bittorrent more than any other programs else
its free and fast and safe

tikitommy
01-03-2008, 05:50 AM
I prefer the torrents because the rate of 'bad' flies is much reduced.

SkykeN
01-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm currently trying out a free usenet account because I was currious about the whole fuss about newsgroups.
After a few days I still like torrents more! You go to your private trackers website, you have a nice list with categories, etc...
When I search for files at the newsgroups I have the feeling like when you would download a movie with kazaa; will it be the right file and will the files not be broken our corrupt.

ar1n4mu
01-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Newsgroups offer newest stuff and best speeds, but Bittorrent is the the Heart of File Sharing and you don't have to pay for it on most trackers.

drposty
01-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I was a regular poster to a few usenet groups for about
ten years. I got tired of having to translate full headers
just to make sure that I wasnt' replying to a forger.

The binaries are the only part of usenet worth a damn
anymore. It's how I got started downloading music

dineshreddy
01-05-2008, 10:00 AM
i prefer bittorrent

krish123
01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
i too prefer bittorrent its free too

lostdemon
01-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Until I have to start paying to use bittorrent thats my number one choice.

bcrabl
01-08-2008, 08:32 AM
i prefer Newsgroups because of the speeds...Here in Polland i had never good speeds with bittorrent.

qordnd
01-08-2008, 08:34 AM
i prefer Newsgroups because of the speeds...Here in Polland i had never good speeds with bittorrent.

WIN: SPEED :happy:

Hanz™
01-08-2008, 06:47 PM
I prefer Bittorrent. I can't get what I want on usenet (I used to have an account at newshosting). Also, ever since nzbzone.com was shut down usenet became pretty shit.

ezzzy
01-08-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm currently trying out a free usenet account because I was currious about the whole fuss about newsgroups.
After a few days I still like torrents more! You go to your private trackers website, you have a nice list with categories, etc...
When I search for files at the newsgroups I have the feeling like when you would download a movie with kazaa; will it be the right file and will the files not be broken our corrupt.

nzb sites ring a bell! the newsgoup own fuck sharing my upload with torrents,plus with usenet you get the max out of your connection so if u got an 8meg connection you get that!

I prefer Bittorrent. I can't get what I want on usenet (I used to have an account at newshosting). Also, ever since nzbzone.com was shut down usenet became pretty shit.

http://www.nzbsource.com/ proberly about 70 nzb sites there, usenet became shit! everything is on there! some poeple come out with some shit,:whistling nzbmatrix good one or just search with binsearch or newsleech,

everyone likes bt cus they are free, they wont be free when the FBI come knocking at your door

Sonnentier
01-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Wow I just looked at nzbsource and this looks very promising.

cubbyche
01-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Seeds are for the birds

0ctane
01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Newsgroups ftw max connection speeds , no seeding . encrpyted connections /ssl
Most scene releases are posted there before BT sites .

And also downloading from usenet is not illegal , only uploading to it

Broken
01-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Newsgroups ftw max connection speeds , no seeding . encrpyted connections /ssl
Most scene releases are posted there before BT sites .

And also downloading from usenet is not illegal , only uploading to it

Downloading is illegal, it's called "conspiracy to commit copyright infringement". But this is a criminal charge that can not be filled by the MPAA/RIAA. A law enforcement agency such as the FBI would have to file it. They (the FBI) have better things to do with their time than go after individual users, they focus on the "scene" groups - and only half heartily at that.

While I brought up something negative there is a light.
Usenet has been around for 20+ years. In all of that time not one person has be charge with anything (civil or criminal) for downloading from it. Cases of people being charge for uploading to Usenet is far and in between.

All and all, it's the safest method for "getting stuff" there is.

Diiyad
01-09-2008, 04:14 PM
I prefer bit torrents

escuoop
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
I think torrent is better

lsforza
01-10-2008, 04:01 AM
Usenet in the first place, no ratio and max download speed.

romerito852
01-10-2008, 08:05 AM
I prefer Bittorrent and P2M.

punki_rach
01-13-2008, 02:52 AM
I'm just getting into newsgroups after relying on torrents for everything and my first impression is that torrents are a little more user friendly, especially when it comes to searching but maybe that's just because I haven't got the hang of usenet yet. The speeds on newsgroups are great but I've never really had an issue with slow speeds on torrents. So at the moment I think I prefer torrents but my opinion might be different by the end of the year. At the beginning of last year I thought kazaa was amazing

hoka81
01-13-2008, 06:38 PM
sure bittorrent

typeoholic
01-15-2008, 07:31 PM
With Rapidshare i get what i want when i want and for free since i uploaded some few things on a free account then i got premium...:D But newsgroups doesn't offer that kind of stuff, they like the money too much and advertising too much as well...

No offense to you, but Rapids**t doesn't even compare to torrents in the least bit. I'm running a 10mb DL / 5mb UL DSL, and I will put money on the fact that torrents will blow RS out of the water any day of the week or month. How do I know? I moderate a warez forum where everything is on RS/MS/MU, and I have premium accnts to all of the above.

Torrents are faster; I have proved it on this end.

Dr_Budweiser
01-16-2008, 01:35 AM
I use and prefer BitTorrent

messi30
01-16-2008, 02:24 AM
Bittorrent its better for far

t0mmy
01-16-2008, 06:38 AM
bitorrent ftw, i dont want to go to usenet as it looks more complicated lol :]

jiveshbhatti
01-17-2008, 05:26 AM
bittorrent all the way.

tomy2006
01-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks MAN

XtriBit
01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I use torrents, but I know a guy that uses a newgroups. Other than the no uploading part, I don't think I would care for newgroups.

burtz
01-17-2008, 12:52 PM
i use bittorrent mostly but my friend once let me use his usenet account and i think the speeds are much better (no upload, just download. makes sense :)). so i'd say newsgroups, but i'll stick with bittorrent because i couldn't afford a subscription for now. :D

lsw0794
01-18-2008, 02:23 AM
i like bt zhan newsgroup

$SnoopDo2G$
01-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Newsgroups
+
For the security and no need to seed back but you can still upload there...
-
Have to pay a monthly fee,(but if you clever you will never pay :lol: don't pm me about it...)
And Retention shit sucks...

BitTorrent
+
For the large variety of content, and big big community.
-
But problem with security, ip's recorded, and shit like that sites goin' down...
Being targeted by few organizations, not appreciated by the Real Scene...

nsap
01-18-2008, 03:15 AM
Newsgroups
+
For the security and no need to seed back but you can still upload there...
-
Have to pay a monthly fee,(but if you clever you will never pay :lol: don't pm me about it...)
And Retention shit sucks...

BitTorrent
+
For the large variety of content, and big big community.
-
But problem with security, ip's recorded, and shit like that sites goin' down...
Being targeted by few organizations, not appreciated by the Real Scene...

Newgroups have an incredible selection of content, new and old, and in the right places, excellent communities. That is, after all the point of newsgroups - feel free to venture outside the binaries and actually read some posts at some point.

The only real plus to torrents is the price.

Ketamine
01-19-2008, 04:23 AM
Newsgroups for sure! Faster,Safer,and no uploading!

CRida
01-19-2008, 11:51 AM
NGs have their advantages and also their disadv.

Big 1 - can't find anything like on bt

Sonnentier
01-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Newgroups have an incredible selection of content, new and old, and in the right places, excellent communities. That is, after all the point of newsgroups - feel free to venture outside the binaries and actually read some posts at some point.
How is it with communities especially about exchanging files?

waeldiab
01-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I prefer bittorrent

bung
01-21-2008, 06:16 AM
How is it with communities especially about exchanging files?
mm.. because someone actually uploaded those file:rolleyes:

Sonnentier
01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Sorry it wasn't phrased well. I meant, are there also good communitys about exchanging certain files. You can communicate through the group I guess and probably there are also good forums, that's what I meant.

Skiz
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM

That sounds like more of a personal problem. :ermm:

Broken
01-21-2008, 07:08 PM

That sounds like more of a personal problem. :ermm:

I have no problem finding anthing.
In fact, I'm finding so much that I'm starting to have problems with my ISP over the amount of bandwidth I'm using. (I guess 1TB a month might be excessive... damn porn!!!).

tenis69
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I prefer Torrents but Newsgroups is faster and no uploading.

oakst8
01-22-2008, 04:35 AM
for music, BT is/was way better for me. i can rarely find what i want on the newsgroups. when oink was rolling, i could find almost anything right away.

lsw0794
01-22-2008, 08:15 AM
newsgroup is pretty good
i use free server,it's speed is very fast too
it's problem is free server is too less

lotofnoise
01-22-2008, 08:42 PM
I like Bittorrents, u can download big files with quite a descent speed sometimes..That´s always nice...

C-mos
01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
*monthly fee
*old stuff
*slow ass speed

*Scene releases

+20 :yup::yup::yup::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Broken
01-23-2008, 05:50 AM
*monthly fee
*old stuff
*slow ass speed

*Scene releases

Ignorance is bliss.
I get the newest stuff, at the fastest speeds (13Mbps, my lines limit), in the most secure way possible.
And best of all, I'm totally leeching. Downloading about 500-600GBs a month!!!

My Usenet account is well worth 20 bones a month.

VIZFX
01-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Sounds like newsgroups are the hidden gems. At least for the pros.

Skiz
01-24-2008, 07:22 AM
*monthly fee
*old stuff
*slow ass speed

*Scene releases

Reading this, I felt like I was being bukakked with stupid.

It isn't even debatable information. The "facts" you're listing are just flat out wrong and it shows your blatant inexperience.

Get a clue before posting such blather which only provides genuinely inquisitive members with false information.

bungeemirth
01-24-2008, 06:30 PM

Reading this, I felt like I was being bukakked with stupid.

It isn't even debatable information. The "facts" you're listing are just flat out wrong and it shows your blatant inexperience.

Get a clue before posting such blather which only provides genuinely inquisitive members with false information.

+1, personally i think every means of downloading have some advantages and disadvantages; if your looking for oldies and rare stuff use emule, pron and most of dialup user go for rapidshare, asian movies/music= megaupload,if you want to do some downloading while extending your e-penis go for torrent, and lastly for heavy downloading internet user i'll say NG is your answer

No offense to you, but Rapids**t doesn't even compare to torrents in the least bit. I'm running a 10mb DL / 5mb UL DSL, and I will put money on the fact that torrents will blow RS out of the water any day of the week or month. How do I know? I moderate a warez forum where everything is on RS/MS/MU, and I have premium accnts to all of the above.

Torrents are faster; I have proved it on this end.

@typoholic, your statement might be true for rs/mu if you dont use download manager to get your stuff. yes i've use torrent before, both in private and public trackers, and so far the best downloading speed that i've had is around 700kbps, where as if i use flashget or MU manager i normally got around 400kbps per file for 3 files at the same time, and the fastest speed that i've had so far is 700 kbps perfile at the same time for 3 different files, now i was wondering what trackers do you use or you simply made up your statement-since i dont see any proof at all- and yes i've hold both RS and MU account for more than 2.5 years now, and i do know to get my sh**t even before the existence of warez-bb, forum-w,and projectw :whistling

Windy72
01-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Use whatever you prefer. Although why somebody would downloading something on BT when it is on usenet is beyond me. Yeah I really want to sit on a tracker for days getting my ratio up. But sometimes I have to. I think we should all say a big thanks to those posters who make all this possible and stop spinning around what is better. Who the hell cares I don't.:01:

mud0k
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
i prefer newsgroups for the speed & ease of use - simple click on nzb and you're done, with giganews & hellanzb:down:

lately i've become curious about the level of private torrent sites; from what i've gathered, only TT might compete with newsgroups for my trance needs, but so far i've been unable to get invited - it seems like there's this scheme where ppl with long private torrent experience & many invites trade invites among themselves for the lulz & others with desire & bandwidh to share are simply left out:ermm:

Sonnentier
02-02-2008, 02:32 PM
for my trance needs
Perhaps TranceTraffic would be good for that? Although I never was a member of that site, seems very hard to get into there..

alfry1010
02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
From what I heard the newsgroup are free to dl so no ratio and very fast but the file are delete after 90 days and you have to pay 30€/month for an access.

So free for free I stay on BT. =)

bungeemirth
02-04-2008, 01:06 PM
From what I heard the newsgroup are free to dl so no ratio and very fast but the file are delete after 90 days and you have to pay 30€/month for an access.

So free for free I stay on BT. =)

where did you hear that statement, as far as 90 days worth of retention period you that statement was true 2 YEARS AGO, right now usenet is much better.

for about 17 EUROS PER MONTH, you got yourself a 200 day worth of retention period, and max out downloading speed, and imho the pretime was not as bad as i thought it to be, and lastly might i say no seeding is needed.

and that is why i preferred to stay as usenet user :)

alfry1010
02-04-2008, 03:00 PM
my sources are from a french forum:http://www.tutorials-newsgroup.com/newsgroup_serveur.php

and if you want usenet without quota you have to pay 20€ and as you can see there is a retention of 70 days.

for 17€ what 've you got? ilimited and how many days of retention?

r77
02-04-2008, 03:05 PM
alfry you have to update ur information here some useful links
http://www.newsgroupservers.net/
http://www.ngprovider.com/
http://www.giganews.com/

bungeemirth
02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
my sources are from a french forum:http://www.tutorials-newsgroup.com/newsgroup_serveur.php

and if you want usenet without quota you have to pay 20€ and as you can see there is a retention of 70 days.

for 17€ what 've you got? ilimited and how many days of retention?

well my friend, for 17 euros per month you got yourself an unlimited download and 200 days of retention, and like what r77 says above, even though i found out about giganews from this particular forum, based on what i've seen around the net, this usenet server seems to a reputable company, as opposed to some companiesthat are being listed on the link that you gave me. by the way, giganes also being listed on that french forum, here's the link

http://www.tutorials-newsgroup.com/usenet_giganews.php

and ignore the price that they put up there, because based on the current conversion of usd to eur, $ 25 worth approximately about $17