PDA

View Full Version : Calling

MediaSlayer
07-10-2003, 05:54 PM
I have seen people make pc to telephone calls using broadband. I have cable. How do you do it? I have a hp pavillion pentium4 1.60ghz 224mb ram on xp. It came with dialpad but they charge a small fee. What about international calls? I need to call someone in another country(i live in usa) but it has to be pc to telephone because they don't have a computer. I saw some thing somewhere in Windows that is maybe the dialer program but, alas, I can't find it because there is no icon.

Wolfmight
07-10-2003, 08:36 PM
was it netmeeting perhaps?

MediaSlayer
07-10-2003, 08:39 PM
cool thanks wolfmight I don't know if it's free but I'll do some snooping. B)

Wolfmight
07-10-2003, 08:41 PM
r u useing XP?

MediaSlayer
07-10-2003, 08:51 PM
yes i am

Wolfmight
07-10-2003, 08:54 PM
in xp, the only way to install Netmeeting is to goto:
Start - > Run -> and type "conf" without the "s.
This will open up the Netmeeting Configuration tool "which" adds the Netmeeting icon to your desktop for later use. :rolleyes: ;)

MediaSlayer
07-10-2003, 09:03 PM
cool!

Wolfmight
07-10-2003, 09:04 PM
btw Netmeeting also has a "Remote Desktop Shareing" feature.. basicly.. when both people run it and set that part up, u can use they're computer... I.E. work from home and such.. i think there are faster Desktop Shareing methods, but this is a good one i've tried.. only work son 2 broadband connections also

balamm
07-10-2003, 09:17 PM
Wolfmight, his friends don't have a computer. Netmeeting won't work ( at least not at a reasonable price) and neither will SIPPS. The only way to avoid high long distance charges is to find a PC to phone service that's local to the one with the phone only and route the computer calls to there. Other wise, you still pay long distance and time charges from the point your computer connects to the nearest phone exchange or to your own phone line.

Wolfmight
07-10-2003, 09:20 PM
well it would be free if you just used Yahoo Messenger's Voice Service in a PM. AIM also has something called Talk Feature.. These work too.. just lower qual sorta

MediaSlayer
07-10-2003, 09:31 PM
well it would be free if you just used Yahoo Messenger's Voice Service in a PM. AIM also has something called Talk Feature.. These work too.. just lower qual sorta
but those not gonna be able to call someone that doesn't have a pc or am i misunderstanding?
Edit: I have roadrunner cable btw

Wolfmight
07-10-2003, 09:36 PM
yea.. only if they did.. hmm there's a way.. but it's not free.