PDA

View Full Version : England Giving The World Soccer/football

MetroStars
07-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Just watched Mike Basset England manager and sum 1 mentiond that England gave the world Football.. I don't know how true that is... but i want 2 ask what the English folk what they think of all the other nations playing football... many people only regard 3 Countries that play football

England

Spain

Italy

and maybe Germany 2 a lesser extent...

but i think many people r unaware of how good the game is in many other countries..

luv 2 hear your thoughts...

hypoluxa3k
07-24-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by MetroStars@24 July 2003 - 20:59
who thinks that? :rolleyes:

i think football was invented in britain <_<
so many nations, so many players, so much history:

Brazil
Argentina
Nigeria
Cameroon
Japan
S. Korea
Holland
Germany
France
Italy
Spain
Portugal
Turkey
Denmark
Sweden
England
Scotland
Rep of Ireland

and so on ;)

GIVE US SPORTSWORLD

namzuf9
07-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Did&#39;nt football come from Scotland originally?
I watched a few minutes of the Metrostars play on Channel 5 (UK tv) the other day (cant remember who they were playing I just thought of you met :unsure: )
Not a bad side at all. I&#39;d personally like to see the international domestic teams play against each other more often.

thewizeard
07-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by MetroStars@24 July 2003 - 20:59
Just watched Mike Basset England manager and sum 1 mentiond that England gave the world Football.. I don&#39;t know how true that is... but i want 2 ask what the English folk what they think of all the other nations playing football... many people only regard 3 Countries that play football

England

Spain

Italy

but i think many people r unaware of how good the game is in many other countries..

luv 2 hear your thoughts...
I thought it was a Scottish invention.

MetroStars
07-24-2003, 09:25 PM
No it&#39;s just when i ask British folk about football aboard they only think of England Spain, Italy, Germany... when i ask them about say US soccer, their like wot the yanks can&#39;t play soccer..

But a lot of nations now r playing sum amazing Soccer, take Wales for example thier doing amazingly well...

Riddler
07-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Click HERE (http://www.soccerhall.org/history/world_soccer_origins.htm) :)

Yer welcome. ;)

soopaman
07-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Football was first played similar to the way it is played now sometime in the 19th century. It became organised when the Football Association was formed in England in 1863. This was after the game was seperated from the now altogether different sport of Rugby Football. Up until this point there were several different versions of football played which had been played over hundreds of years.

It all started with a meeting at Cambridge University in 1863 which defined the rules of no handling of the ball and no kicking. This led the people opposed of this style of game to break off and form the sport of Rugby Football. They finally split up on 8th December 1863 after they decided that no compromise could be met between the two sides. At this point several standard rules were decided upon. The size and weight of the ball was set and the time of the game was fixed at 90 minutes which still holds today.

The first organised football competition was the FA Cup which is still the premier cup competition in England. This was first held in 1871 and involved all 50 clubs who were members of the FA at the time.

The first International match was played between England and Scotland in Glasgow in 1872. Football soon gained massive popularity and as a result of the financial implications, in 1885 it changed from an amateur game into a proffesional one. Soon after this many other international football associations were started and National teams set up, culminating in the first World Cup in Uraguay in 1930.

FIFA the world governing body was set up in Paris in 1904 and 98 years later there are 204 member countries and the world cup commands an audience of billions around the world every 4 years.

Hope this helps clarify the situation. ;)

MetroStars
07-24-2003, 09:34 PM
cool link riddler

Riddler
07-24-2003, 09:37 PM
;) Notice it&#39;s out of NY ?

MetroStars
07-24-2003, 09:42 PM
I did riddler, I did

Icey
07-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by MetroStars@24 July 2003 - 22:25

But a lot of nations now r playing sum amazing Soccer, take Wales for example thier doing amazingly well...
:D WE ARE :D

about bloody time&#33;

MetroStars
07-24-2003, 10:48 PM
WE ARE

about bloody time&#33;

LOL

If Wales carry on the way thier going they will qualify for everything

Icey
07-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by MetroStars@24 July 2003 - 23:48

WE ARE

about bloody time&#33;

LOL

If Wales carry on the way thier going they will qualify for everything
we hope :)

thewizeard
07-24-2003, 11:17 PM
Untill they play the Netherlands&#33;

MetroStars
07-24-2003, 11:20 PM
the r good Netherlands bu the US would beat them

USA 4 - Netherlands 0

HoJu
07-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Football as we know it was invented in England. It&#39;s true, I&#39;m a Scotsman and would never normally give the bugger&#39;s credit for anything :P . We can only be credited with golf (As far as I&#39;m aware). They also invented Rugby, Tennis and Cricket (I think&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;).

thewizeard
07-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Decide for yourselves&#33;

Where is the home of football?

Is England really the home of football or can another big football nation stake a better claim? Find out what our four experts think.

Read the case for the other countries;
> The England argument
> The Brazil argument
> The Global argument

Scotland invented football

The love of your life has a past you don&#39;t know about.

The English myth

In 1863 the London Football Association was founded with their London rules and were ignored by everyone else. Sheffield had the oldest two clubs in the world and their Sheffield rules. Most other English cities had their own rules too.

The English game was odd. Dribbling was important, passing was not. You got the ball and ran for your opponents’ goal.

Things were a little different in Scotland. Since the sixteenth century at least, passing and running had been the proper form of football for Scots.

Scotland founds modern world football

In 1872 Queen’s Park FC hosted the world’s first international against England. It was played at the West of Scotland Cricket Ground in Partick, Glasgow.

I would have loved to seen the English players coming to tackle the Scots. They must have been amazed and confused when the Scots simply passed their way around the England players.

The ‘Scotch Professors’

The English clubs started importing players to teach English players the passing and running game. They called them ‘Scotch Professors’. When England was still divided over which set of rules to use, Scotland had the Scottish Football Association (SFA), one set of rules for Cup-ties and one style. The SFA was the world’s first true national association.

The English FA fought to stop the Scottish game taking over. They lost. It’s funny then how you will read how the ‘combination game’ of passing and running was perfected by Preston North End in England, they had eight Scots in their team&#33; You will read that the Brazilians learnt football from the English (no they didn’t: Archie McLean was from Paisley near Glasgow) or that England invented football. Why spoil a good story with the truth?

Thank you Scotland

Scotland was in the right place at the right time and was the right size to perfect the modern world game and export it to all corners of the globe.

All hail to World Football: the Scottish Game.

Ged O’Brien, December 2002
Ged O’Brien is the Project Director for the Scottish Football Museum, based at the Hampden Park National Stadium in Glasgow

Icey
07-24-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by MetroStars@25 July 2003 - 00:20

USA 4 - Netherlands 0
ye, usa are a very under-rated team.. which can beat any team in the world

lynx
07-24-2003, 11:42 PM
I think Soopaman&#39;s summary is excellent.

Did England invent two teams kicking some sort of ball around and putting it between two posts? Of course not, that sort of game would be invented anywhere in the world.

Did England create (not invent) the modern game of football (soccer if you prefer)? Most certainly, but of course it would not have been quite so popular if it were not for the fact that there is a natural tendency to create this sort of game anyway.

Edit: Having seen Nigel123&#39;s summary, I think he misses the vital point. Certainly, Scottish players may have been better at football than English players at the time, but it was the implementation of a proper Football Association which lead to the formalised (albeit slightly different) rules of football that we know today.

thewizeard
07-24-2003, 11:56 PM
@Lynx, Now you&#39;ve gone and spoiled everything&#33;

(>Zero Cool<)
07-24-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by MetroStars@25 July 2003 - 00:20

USA 4 - Netherlands 0
Not sure about this <_< but they are a good side, much better than they sometimes get credit for (USA I mean). Oh while I am on good to see Wales getting a mention, I&#39;m far from being Welsh but they are the most exciting team to watch in the British Isles just now, Hughes has brought them into this century.

Anyway metro wanted to ask, I was talking to someone from the states not too long ago and he mentioned that when you go to the local park (anywhere) you will find most of the kids playing football (It&#39;s called football mate :P ) and many of the baseball fields and American football pitches have been replaced by football pitches, is this a fair assesment of where the interest of the kids in general is going?

leonidas
07-25-2003, 07:34 AM
THE EMPIRE WILL STRIKE BACK.

(Just have to wait 3 more years)http://membres.lycos.fr/demayseb/Banqueimages/jacquet.jpg

hypoluxa3k
07-25-2003, 08:35 AM
you mean Germany in 2006? ;)

GIVE US SPORTSWORLD&#33;

leonidas
07-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Na Ja....Na ja.....Naturlisch............ :huh: :o :lol: :lol:

WeeMouse
07-25-2003, 10:11 AM
In 1872 Queen’s Park FC hosted the world’s first international against England. It was played at the West of Scotland Cricket Ground in Partick, Glasgow.

That&#39;s right across the street&#33; I&#39;m talking like 10 yards from my front door here - d&#39;ya think i could steal bits of grass and then sell them? :)

Proper Bo
07-25-2003, 10:13 AM
I think they may have changed the grass once or twice since&#33; :P

WeeMouse
07-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Bo - shhhhhhhhhhhhht&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

think of the money we could make&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

You can be my business partner if you like :)

(>Zero Cool<)
07-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@25 July 2003 - 11:13
You&#39;ve never been to Glasgow have you?&#33; :P :D

Proper Bo
07-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Get the grass, get the money....get the money, get the power......get the power, get the women......

I&#39;M IN&#33; :D

WeeMouse
07-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)+25 July 2003 - 11:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ((>Zero Cool<) @ 25 July 2003 - 11:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Proper Bo@ I tell thee,25 July 2003 - 11:13
You&#39;ve never been to Glasgow have you?&#33; :P :D [/b][/quote]
:lol:

Bo - yo get to carry the grass and i get the money, ok? :P

Proper Bo
07-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by WeeMouse@25 July 2003 - 11:18

Bo - yo get to carry the grass and i get the money, ok? :P
Why, do YOU want women?&#33; :P

MetroStars
07-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Anyway metro wanted to ask, I was talking to someone from the states not too long ago and he mentioned that when you go to the local park (anywhere) you will find most of the kids playing football (It&#39;s called football mate&nbsp; ) and many of the baseball fields and American football pitches have been replaced by football pitches, is this a fair assesment of where the interest of the kids in general is going?

The US still has a long way 2 go b4 soccer (football) is a huge event, don&#39;t get me wrong it&#39;s big but not in the same standers as English, Scottish , Spainish etc etc.. but with more schools and Colleges playing soccer and the more coverage US soccer gets IE buy the sale of Tim Howard 2 Man U then, it proves that US soccer is getting 2 a high standard...

(>Zero Cool<)
07-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Cheers for the feedback Metro, remember Tim Howard isn&#39;t the first successful footballer over here to come out of the states and they have been noticed (Brad Fridel etc) there are also others playing in some of the other European Leagues Bundesliga etc. With the sheer size of America taken into consideration then even if it is only a smallish percentage of people who are getting involved they are going to keep moving in the right direction.

A lot of the football over here has become stale and major changes are required at grassroot levels. For too long clubs have depended on buying in talent but with inflated transfer fees and wage structures many clubs cannot compete and are having to look at the younger up and coming players, unfortunately in most cases the facilities and financial input at that level has been so poor for so long that they realise that the talent is just not there or has not been developed to it&#39;s full extent at the right time. This is also having a big impact on national sides as many of the top clubs have very few &#39;homegrown&#39; players in their squad. I believe in a lot of cases we are going to have to take a few steps back to make any steps forward.

MetroStars
07-25-2003, 02:23 PM
I totaly back u up (>Zero Cool<) on what your saying...

If u have time u should check put this link it&#39;s what the MLS do 2 find gr8 up and coming talent...

http://www.ussoccer.com/teams/default.sps?iTeamID=253

JONNO_CELEBS
07-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Yes...........we did :D

Jonno B)

soopaman
07-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Good link. Thanks Metrostars&#33;&#33; ;)

I totally agree with regards to the "homegrown" player issue. Too many top English clubs are investing money in old foreign players and not enough in developing exciting, young, English players. Full marks to Newcastle(Jenas) and Everton (Rooney) for letting their youngsters shine on the big stage&#33;&#33;

Yes to SPORTSWORLD&#33;&#33;&#33;

MetroStars
07-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Yea i think more teams r Realizing that youth is such an important thing.. U just have 2 look at Everton, Wayne Rooney is a global star now, I think Leeds United they also have a gr8 youth policy..

but the end factor is money not all clubs can afford reserve teams and Youth Academies...

But youth is an Essential part of every football nation...

Celerystalksme
07-25-2003, 05:34 PM
England invent lots of sports...

Its just Australia kicks their ass at everything...

And everyone else while there at it *except bloody Urgay* :lol:

soopaman
07-25-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Celerystalksme@25 July 2003 - 18:34

Except for Rugby Union &#33;&#33;&#33; :P :lol: It&#39;s been a while since the Wallabies have beaten England at that. Although fairplay they do regularly slaughter us at Cricket&#33;&#33; <_<

Celerystalksme
07-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by soopaman+26 July 2003 - 03:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soopaman @ 26 July 2003 - 03:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Celerystalksme@25 July 2003 - 18:34

Except for Rugby Union &#33;&#33;&#33; :P :lol: It&#39;s been a while since the Wallabies have beaten England at that. Although fairplay they do regularly slaughter us at Cricket&#33;&#33; <_< [/b][/quote]
And don&#39;t forget

3 - 1

in a sport

i just can&#39;t remember what it was

its something that England are spose to be good at

oh thats right

Socceroo&#39;s 3 - Three Lions 1 in England...

:o :lol: :o :lol: :)

3RA1N1AC
07-25-2003, 10:44 PM
beckham plays for spain now? hahahahahah

also, how come everyone & their grandmother hates Manchester United? as an american, i&#39;ve just noticed lots of brits are quick to say "i fukken hate Man U&#33;" i think i need a history lesson on why that club is so despised.