PDA

View Full Version : Xvid Image Quality Is Extremely High Contrast....

hey_suburbia
07-28-2003, 04:29 AM
I've been playing xvid movies for a while now, downloaded the new codec pack from k-lite.tk, tried viewing video in Divx player, kazaa, and windows media all appear extremely dark and high contrast.... I've watched a dozen xvid movies prior to this, not sure what went wrong? any idea's?

It happened on Phonebooth, Adaptation, Final Destination 2 (those were all the ones on my cpu, so it's not the videos themselves)

http://stereoscream.com/mickey/badxvid.jpg

3rd gen noob
07-28-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by hey_suburbia@28 July 2003 - 05:29
I've been playing xvid movies for a while now, downloaded the new codec pack from k-lite.tk, tried viewing video in Divx player, kazaa, and windows media all appear extremely dark and high contrast.... I've watched a dozen xvid movies prior to this, not sure what went wrong? any idea's?

It happened on Phonebooth, Adaptation, Final Destination 2 (those were all the ones on my cpu, so it's not the videos themselves)
try using bs player and changing the colour/contrast options in the options menu

ehnoismemu
07-28-2003, 04:53 AM
or use bsplayer, load the movie, right-click it, properties, XviD MPEG4 Decoder, and set the brightness.

Darth Sushi
07-28-2003, 05:06 AM
The XviD codec included with K-Lite Codec Pack is outdated. You can either manually find and install a more current XviD codec. Or you can use a different codec pack altogether. Currently, I'm using DivX_Total_Pack1.5 but I did install Vobsub and G-Spot from K-Lite codec pack. You can also try installing ffdshow by itself which has fixed a lot of XviD problems I had when I used K-Lite exclusively. Do not tweak with ffdshow settings unless you still have problems after installation. Also, don't use DivX player--it's buggy. Try BS-Player, MediaPlayerClassic, or ZoomPlayer.

[EDIT]
Start with a different player first. Then FFDSHOW, then the codec change.

TheFilePirater
07-28-2003, 05:07 AM
DivX player sucks, use bsplayer, alot more ops

ZLOsiris
07-28-2003, 06:33 AM
all i know is that i always have problem with xvid either its the picture or sound..... to me xvid is crap, if it aint one thing its a fuking another. Ill start to download those xvid movies when they get all the bugs worked out with the codecs and players .

Darth Sushi
07-28-2003, 09:05 AM
As person who has encoded more than 200 movies, I find XviD superior to DivX.

HyE PrIdE THUG
07-28-2003, 09:10 AM
its that codec u downloaded i downloaded it one time too and was just like urs in high contrast the best codec pack is this one called sld codec

go here and get it ---http://hakim85.free.fr/index/en/homepage-en.htm

first uninstall the k-lite pack then install this

post back to tell me what happened

hey_suburbia
07-29-2003, 04:33 AM
HyE PrIdE THUG: worked like a fucking charm...THANKS!! You should spread the word on that codec....mad good !!

hey_suburbia
07-29-2003, 04:34 AM
One question:

what did it add to the registry?

ehnoismemu
07-29-2003, 05:01 AM
all i know is that i always have problem with xvid either its the picture or sound..... to me xvid is crap, if it aint one thing its a fuking another. Ill start to download those xvid movies when they get all the bugs worked out with the codecs and players .
ZLOsiris, imho you just can't judge something only by ur experience on it. xvid is far superior than divx (3, 4 or 5), no matter what bitrate you use. the audio problems are not xvid related, since xvid is a video codec, it has nothing to do with audio. and about not downloading xvid movies, just download them and change their fourcc code to divx and you'll watch it with no problems, really.
anyway, i think your problem with xvid is hardware (what machine do you have?) or software (what codecs do you have installed?) related.

ZLOsiris
07-29-2003, 06:28 AM
I got a amd xp2100 with a gforce 2 gts pro video card, 768 ddr ram, i built the thing myself i could go on and on lol. But as far as media and codecs are concerned i really dont know jack, i have downloaded codecs that were supposed to work. Before it used to say something like unable to open file yada yada , now it doesnt say that any more. But when playing with the divx player i get no audio and when i play it with windows media player the screen freezes up alot. These codecs that i download are they supposed to go anywhere?. I jus open them and leave it as that. Thanks for your help