PDA

View Full Version : Burning An Entire Movie On To One Disc

craftywizard
07-29-2003, 12:46 AM
There's no way to burn an entire movie on to one disc is there? Unless you use a larger cd-r or a dvd-r. I've been searching for the answer, but everyone converts it, splits it, then burns it on to a cd-r. Just did this the other day for the first time and didn't seem that great. I'm tempted just to add more hard drives and buy one of those cards that let you send video output to a tv so I don't have to do all of this. I guess the advantage of having it on a cd-r or dvd-r is you can take it with you or give it to others, but what about those hard drives that are external? Couldn't this work also? Then all your movies will be nice and organized on your hard drive instead of on multiple disc. PS. I don't like it when people say read the FAQ. If you don't like my question don't answer it.

clocker
07-29-2003, 12:50 AM
Your best ( and easiest) option is to do the video out thingie to your TV.
Burn your movies to disc as "data files" ( you should be able to get about 715,000Kb on a single disc) so that you have a backup in case of disaster, but otherwise just leave 'em on your HD.

(>Zero Cool<)
07-29-2003, 12:54 AM
There is a reason that people tell you to read the FAQ because , chances are, they have answered a question like yours on numerous occasions. The FAQ are there to serve a purpose in that if you require help you should be willing to try and find the answer yourself before just giving up and expecting someone else to do it for you. So I am afraid you will have to suffer answers like that again. BTW I am not sure where you have searched but it is worth searching within the forum itself e.g in the Questions and Problems sections for similar problems and answers. :)

ehm or just asking clocker, that would also work :rolleyes:

simon_no2003
07-29-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by craftywizard@29 July 2003 - 01:46
There&#39;s no way to burn an entire movie on to one disc is there? Unless you use a larger cd-r or a dvd-r. I&#39;ve been searching for the answer, but everyone converts it, splits it, then burns it on to a cd-r. Just did this the other day for the first time and didn&#39;t seem that great. I&#39;m tempted just to add more hard drives and buy one of those cards that let you send video output to a tv so I don&#39;t have to do all of this. I guess the advantage of having it on a cd-r or dvd-r is you can take it with you or give it to others, but what about those hard drives that are external? Couldn&#39;t this work also? Then all your movies will be nice and organized on your hard drive instead of on multiple disc. PS. I don&#39;t like it when people say read the FAQ. If you don&#39;t like my question don&#39;t answer it.
Try this link you should get all the answers on here

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/guides

craftywizard
07-29-2003, 09:21 AM
In all reality all the information you&#39;ll ever want is somewhere (eg. google, internet, libraries, people) you just have to find it and put it together, but why do this when you can ask. Actually, I haven&#39;t had answers like that (second post), I&#39;ve just seen it a lot in the forums. What video output card would any of you recommend for this task?

RealitY
07-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Simply put, VCD and SVCD which can be put on a CDR are in mpeg format. Which is kinda mathmatical, 10mb = 1 minute (approximately). Thus a CDR can only have about an hour plus of video. These can play on most DVD players.

Al other formats that are avi related such as DivX and XviD are quality related, kinda. The larger the file the better the quality. Thus ripping a 500mb avi would be wasting 200mb, which could have given the video better quality. therefore almost all avi files are about 700mb to fit on one CDR or 1.4gb for higher quality using two CDR&#39;s. Drawback is they can only play on your compter, not in your DVD player such as the above could.

Personally I have always preferred avi since they fit on one disc, though getting a bin/cue staight to the DVD is cool too.

tralalala
07-29-2003, 11:07 AM
SVCD is a problem cos it makes the file much much larger on your hard drive and makes it from about 700 megabytes to aobut 3.8 gigabytes...

tralalala

balamm
07-29-2003, 11:13 AM
General Information on SVCD:

NTSC Resolution PAL Resolution Video Format Audio Format Average File Size CD-ROM Playback DVD-ROM Playback DVD Player Playback
480 x 480 480 x 576 MPEG-2 MPEG-1 10-20 MB per min.

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/product...isc_formats.jsp (http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/powerdirector_pro/disc_formats.jsp)

RealitY
07-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by tralalala@29 July 2003 - 12:07
SVCD is a problem cos it makes the file much much larger on your hard drive and makes it from about 700 megabytes to aobut 3.8 gigabytes...

tralalala
Not sure thats true, at least not alwyays tralalala,
I am looking at SVCD I have got in bin/cue and its about 1.5gb.
General difference between VCD and SVCD is mpeg1 to mpeg2.
Also they are still always about an hour plus on a CDR.

southernman
07-29-2003, 11:16 AM
I burn over 2 hours of vcd on one cd-r with great results almost daily. go to
http://www.kvcd.net/e107/ for tmpgenc templates.

RealitY
07-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by southernman@29 July 2003 - 12:16
Interesting, I&#39;ll give it a read.

Though why is noone posting or sharing bin/cue files that can do this anywhere?
At least I haven&#39;t seen any yet.

EDIT: Looks interesting already, truth is this would be the best of both worlds, compact and playable in your DVD player.

clocker
07-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by craftywizard@29 July 2003 - 03:21
What video output card would any of you recommend for this task?
As I said before the easiest method is the video card.
I like ATI Radeon cards, but they can be pricey.
I lucked into a 9500 Pro but I think the 9000 Pro also features video out.
Your TV must be able to accomodate video input of course.

Basically, if I really like a movie, I buy the DVD. You can&#39;t beat the quality and generally you get alot of extras.
If I just want to check something out, or if the DVD has yet to be released, I&#39;ll download it.
That&#39;s why I don&#39;t go to alot of trouble converting to a playable format.

CornerPocket
07-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Movie related question, moving to Movieworld........................................ B)

Stonecoldfreak1
07-29-2003, 12:47 PM
im thinkin of getting a tv-out card but i need to know how it hooks up to your tv... is it like a screw on cord like an RF switch for gaming?

RealitY
07-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Stonecoldfreak1@29 July 2003 - 13:47
im thinkin of getting a tv-out card but i need to know how it hooks up to your tv... is it like a screw on cord like an RF switch for gaming?
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/image/images/small-bnb.gif
=========he he he he he he he he=========
======He Said "SCREW ON" Thats Cool======

EDIT: Sorry.

Messican
07-29-2003, 06:39 PM
I do not know...

enoughfakefiles
07-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by southernman@29 July 2003 - 11:16
I`ve tried to use this program with the ksvcd templates but i can`t seem to get sound out of it.Do you have to use the virtualdub program as well or am i doing something wrong. :D

Dapadipz
07-29-2003, 08:53 PM
ye KVCDs rule

first heard of this when i was browsing thru the fasttrack forums

southernman
07-29-2003, 09:35 PM
Enoughfakefiles
I`ve tried to use this program with the ksvcd templates but i can`t seem to get sound out of it.Do you have to use the virtualdub program as well or am i doing something wrong.

Open tmpgenc--don&#39;t use the wizard-browse to the movie file, then load the template "KVCD-ULBR-352x240-_NTSCFilm_-PLUS.mcf" Then remember to select
"system(video & audio)" right above the load button (this may be where you&#39;re losing the audio)--then start.

Burn with nero bruning rom---Open Nero rom, Don&#39;t use wizard, select videocd, then select "new" then drag your mpeg into nero--now go to file and select "write cd", new dialog box opens, Under video cd remember to uncheck "create standard compliant cd", then go to burn and do it. Under menu you can add movie details, etc.

Don&#39;t know how much you know so i explained it in detail--

RealitY
07-30-2003, 07:23 AM
Nice Step By Step...
Trying it now.

D!mensio_x
07-30-2003, 07:49 AM
:ph34r: Hi guys,

I read last week in a German magazine an article about storing a complete movie on DVD. This could be done by using a program called DaviDeo 3. This program can make a maxi-svcd (or m-svcd) which would take up only one cd. I don&#39;t know if it&#39;s any good quality, but I suggest you try it and let the rest of us know if it&#39;s ok.

Personally, I&#39;m perfectly happy with burning my movies on two cd-r&#39;s, as long as I don&#39;t own a dvd-burner. Because this way I know that my movies are of great quality.

Greetz, D&#33;mensio_x. :ph34r:

Gooch2k
07-30-2003, 07:53 AM
You can also buy DVD players that play DivX encoded movies so you can have an entire movie on one disc that is better quality than VCD&#33; Just letting you know of another option in case your PC is in a different room to where you want to play the films and don&#39;t fancy lugging your computer about.

D!mensio_x
07-30-2003, 08:34 AM
:ph34r: Well another option is to make your own standalone divx player out of an old computer. ;) It&#39;s cheaper than buying a dvd-player that plays divx movies. :D

RealitY
07-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by southernman@29 July 2003 - 22:35
Open tmpgenc--don&#39;t use the wizard-browse to the movie file, then load the template "KVCD-ULBR-352x240-_NTSCFilm_-PLUS.mcf" Then remember to select
"system(video & audio)" right above the load button (this may be where you&#39;re losing the audio)--then start.

Burn with nero bruning rom---Open Nero rom, Don&#39;t use wizard, select videocd, then select "new" then drag your mpeg into nero--now go to file and select "write cd", new dialog box opens, Under video cd remember to uncheck "create standard compliant cd", then go to burn and do it.
Ok, tested...

Took a 10 minute avi and open TMPGenc with said template amd converted it.
Seems the template takes longer than normal conversion.
I then made the nrg file with Nero.
Then I opened Alcohol 120% and mounted the nrg image.
Looked at the mounted drive and saw the VCD.

As I mentioned every standard mpeg1 (VCD) I&#39;ve had is - 100mb per 10:00 minute
With the template though it was compressed about 3 to 1 - 38mb per 10:00 minute

Thus its true 180 minutes on one CDR IS possible.

Although I did not get audio but I believe this is codec related, AC3 setting perhaps. Also I&#39;m on a WinME system at the moment which always has issues when converting with TMPGenc. Though the main issue is quality, there is a serious degration in the video, looks very choppy. I would actually rate VHS better.

I am going to try a higher quality template and see what happens. Though I wonder if smaller size will always equal less quality.

Gooch2k
07-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by D&#33;mensio_x@30 July 2003 - 08:34
:ph34r: Well another option is to make your own standalone divx player out of an old computer. ;) It&#39;s cheaper than buying a dvd-player that plays divx movies. :D

True, True.

RealitY
07-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Tried the 704 x 480 template, video looks good although it takes twice the time to convert the video and the file size on 10:00 minute video is about 95mb. Whats the point of that. I haven&#39;t tried the medium template that claims 120 minutes yet but I must say this KVCD is KRAP.

Gre1
07-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Yep it sure is I agree to the fullest.

craftywizard
07-31-2003, 04:56 AM
The first cd to my movie came out okay. There was some times when the sound didn&#39;t match the video, but nothing that didn&#39;t annoy me, but when I played the second cd it started off really bad. The sound didn&#39;t match the video, the video looked degraded and there were parts where the movie speed up. Having another computer or dvd player to play divx format movies would involve more encoding and burning and I think I might be doing something wrong or burning at too high of speeds (4x on a 4x burner). Heck I&#39;ll just buy the dang dvd. "Free" right now is more work than "overpriced".

RealitY
07-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Personally I have an SVideo hooked to my TV. Nice and simple, though I thought I&#39;de try the KVCD. Truth is I&#39;de rather have two CDR&#39;s is good quality, than one KRAP one. After all CDR&#39;s qre only 20 cents, cheap enough for me to keep the quality.