PDA

View Full Version : Consumerism In A Nutshell

RedRival
07-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Ah wtf is Consumerism??
Okay I found several definitions for the term but none of them seems to satisfy my criteria of what it's supposed to mean :D . Anyone here, yes, anyone at all, who would give me a brief yet detailed explanation on what consumerism means. My next english speech depends on this!! Either I find out what consumerism means, which IMO, is a much broader aspect to deal with than crime. I sure don't want to do a speech on crime.

So someone, anyone at all, give me a simple brief but useful meaning of the word consumerism. And please, don't give stupid replies or get out of focus in the replies. Thx a lot!

tite-wad
07-29-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by RedRival@29 July 2003 - 09:36
So someone, anyone at all, give me a simple brief but useful meaning of the word consumerism. And please, don't give stupid replies or get out of focus in the replies. Thx a lot!
You do realize that posting a new thread in the Lounge and than asking people only to respond with serious replies is just asking for trouble - right? :rolleyes:

But I'll break form for the moment and say that I think consumerism is either the tendancy for companies to try and conduct their business in such a way that they are percepted as "consumer friendly"... or in other words, they do things with the consumer in mind so that they are more likely to buy their goods.

Or an alternate definition might be the obsession with buying things - basically a "shopaholic" mentality.

Hope I helped you out. :)

Spindulik
07-29-2003, 02:59 PM
Catch22...
You are smart enough to know you are dumb, thus you are not not dumb.

thewizeard
07-29-2003, 03:06 PM
One entry found for consumerism.

Main Entry: conˇsumˇerˇism
Pronunciation: k&n-'sü-m&-"ri-z&m
Function: noun
Date: 1944
1 : the promotion of the consumer's interests
2 : the theory that an increasing consumption of goods is economically desirable; also : a preoccupation with and an inclination toward the buying of consumer goods
- conˇsumˇerˇist /-rist/ noun
- conˇsumˇerˇisˇtic /k&n-"sü-m&-'ris-tik/ adjective

Bron: Merriam-Webster online dictionary.

Good luck with your speech.

RedRival
07-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Now I have to find a loophole in consumerism and talk about it, how enjoyable :lol:

thewizeard
07-29-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by RedRival@29 July 2003 - 19:19
Now I have to find a loophole in consumerism and talk about it, how enjoyable :lol:
What about waste of the worlds resources, recycling problems, etc. etc