PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain FTN's ratio system (or lackthereof) in full detail?

CatDogMan
02-22-2008, 01:02 AM
I've heard about it, but no one's really explained it to me.

Do they just assume that if you can get an invite to there, you'll be a good member?

Oh, and have they said anything about when they're opening invites back up? A guy on there was gonna invite me when they get invites back up, but it's been a while and they're still down :/

vinhkhang01
02-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Seed every torrent back to 1:1 ratio or at least try to do so. If it's not possible, seeding for at least 36 hours counts as "trying"... The 36 hours does not need to be contiguous, but be sure not to hit-n-run just after you complete the torrent.

They disable their invitation system and thanks to those who traded and sold accounts there.

grimms
02-22-2008, 01:19 AM
No ratio doesn't really mean there isn't a ratio system at all. Means they count upload only (To see who really contributes to the tracker). Also like vinhkhang01 (Thanks to you again by the way) said? You are required to seed for at least 36 hours on each and every torrent you download(Thats only three days). It's also a great way not to worry, as long as your seeding each and every torrent you download for 36 hours(Whether thats 36 hours consistently or not doesn't really matter).

usersec
02-22-2008, 01:30 AM
no ratio system at first glance seems a great thing and it do makes it a little bit easier for those with slow(er) connections but in an overall it doesnt change a thing, you still have to seed a lot, and you cant have downloaded too much without uploaded also (if you cant seed, dont leech), because you will eventually end on someones shitlist or whatever its called, and it wont be good..

and they disabled invites 2 weeks ago or so and I dont think they will be back any time soon..

grimms
02-22-2008, 01:37 AM
The point really here, is that you still have to seed regardless of a tracker having a ratio counting both dl and ul or just ul. The universal rule is to share and seed. If you can do that then you shouldn't have a problem.

NOLF
02-22-2008, 01:53 AM
You are required to seed for at least 36 hours on each and every torrent you download(Thats only three days).

Yup 36 hours, but in my world 36 hours is 1½ day :P

Sorry, couldn't help it grimms, lol

Nemrod
02-22-2008, 02:10 AM
No ratio system is, in my opinion, the biggest proof of confidence and trust in their users.
Only superb sites can enable that system without losing quality and performance.
In my own experience those sites get in change, almost unanimous collaboration and devotion from their members.
But I think for most trackers it's a risk they can't afford to take

SgtMajor
02-22-2008, 02:12 AM
Permanent leechers who give nothing back get spotted & warned, then booted if there is no improvement in their seeding habits.

Also, if you give nothing or very little back back, then you can't get promoted.

What it does is give you the chance to get older torrents without worrying too much about having to seed it back to 1:1.

It also helps those without a seedbox to compete with those that have, as seeding time matters more over quantity of GBs seeded back.

I'd like to see one step further, and that anything seeded back over 1:1.11 is not counted, which would then give plenty of others the chance to get some GB seeded on popular torrents :P

CatDogMan
02-22-2008, 02:52 AM
"I'd like to see one step further, and that anything seeded back over 1:1.11 is not counted, which would then give plenty of others the chance to get some GB seeded on popular torrents http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../images/smilies/tongue.gif"

That wouldn't make much sense... because the fast seeders would have to drop off and leechers wouldn't get as good of speeds.

SgtMajor
02-22-2008, 03:02 AM
It might, and I say it might not, but there is no evidence of this being the case as more users would jump on torrents if they had a chance to seed back to 1:1, and probably seed longer, seeing as they would be on home PCs with large hard disks rather than boxes in the sky, but it might also possibly slow down by a small %, so what, it is better to be good sharers than letting seedbox users hog all the BW.

It's not about the small few with boxes, it's what benefits the whole community which should be paramount.

Maybe after some experiment and testing the ratio might have to be increased to 1:2 or a little bit higher, but seeding for ever & ever with seedboxes and building up massive ratios is not the right philosophy of sharing and looking out for all users, rather than just the benefit of the few.

By all means have the seedboxes pull it first & fast, but let it propagate downwards in the manner it was meant to.

Seriously, anyone with a ratio of just 2 is giving twice as much as he takes, so someone further down the line is obviously losing out and having to struggle to maintain a decent ratio. That's just the sheer maths & logic of it, now think about all those who boast about having massive e-penis's with huge ratios, all they are doing is stealing off the unfortunate few further down the line.

It's something worth considering.

vinhkhang01
02-22-2008, 03:23 AM
With the ratio system like FTN and other site, it would encourage more people to use the site. I think it would do more good than harm esp. with some kinds of incentive bonus system in place.

grimms
02-22-2008, 03:36 AM

Lol. For some strange reason i was thinking 72 hours in my mind. Thanks for pointing that out to me.:lol:

vinhkhang01
02-22-2008, 04:18 AM
It used to be 72hrs before but have changed to 36hrs for a long while now.

Lol. For some strange reason i was thinking 72 hours in my mind. Thanks for pointing that out to me.:lol:

fOrUmAs
02-22-2008, 06:35 AM
no ratio system at first glance seems a great thing and it do makes it a little bit easier for those with slow(er) connections but in an overall it doesnt change a thing, you still have to seed a lot, and you cant have downloaded too much without uploaded also (if you cant seed, dont leech), because you will eventually end on someones shitlist or whatever its called, and it wont be good..

and they disabled invites 2 weeks ago or so and I dont think they will be back any time soon..

u are wrong in overall u can download as much as u want as long u seed for 36 hours and there is no shity list or something like that...and 36 hours isnt much at all,many sites have rule for 72 hours so i think its not hard at all and u have freeleech for ever

Sylar666
02-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Seriously, anyone with a ratio of just 2 is giving twice as much as he takes, so someone further down the line is obviously losing out and having to struggle to maintain a decent ratio. That's just the sheer maths & logic of it, now think about all those who boast about having massive e-penis's with huge ratios, all they are doing is stealing off the unfortunate few further down the line.
I guess it's fair enough. Also correct me if I'm wrong but there are sites where strict rules are in effect against overseeding. I can't recall which, but SCT might well be one of them. It is really hard to compete with GB - seedboxes. It's like fighting a lion with bare hands.

vinhkhang01
02-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I think iPlay is one of them doesn't like overseeding.

I guess it's fair enough. Also correct me if I'm wrong but there are sites where strict rules are in effect against overseeding. I can't recall which, but SCT might well be one of them. It is really hard to compete with GB - seedboxes. It's like fighting a lion with bare hands.

BReal13
02-22-2008, 09:45 AM
what exactly is overseeding ?:-/

FACE_TO_FACE
02-22-2008, 09:51 AM
what exactly is overseeding ?:-/
example a file with 700mb and you seed it 1:50 = 35GB

This is overseeding

grimms
02-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Damn maybe i shouldn't overseed then? I don't use a seedbox though, just my shitty isp providers speed (Even though it's shitty, i'm still fortunate to have access through them to the internet).

fatcat69
02-22-2008, 12:32 PM
TBH here...if you arent in FTN, then there is really no need for you to be concerned with its interal affairs.

I think that goes for any site btw.

fazzy07
02-22-2008, 05:51 PM
FTN states to seed 1:1 or 36hrs but there are lot of people including me who choose to seed far longer
I usually seed a month still dont get 1:1 there but it feels good to give back as much as one can