PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on here in the BT section

fatcat69
02-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Ok no offense but I think one of our staffers is trying to hook up a buddy or is trying to make some money off noobs here in the BT section with this seedbox advertisement.

I know its your site and well good for you, however can we atleast have some morals when it comes to this?!

I posted in the sticky that it was wrong to have it here...now I see that that has been deleted (before most other members could read it) but theres a now an advertisement for it at the top of the page...

And I will bet money that someone will delete this thread as well, however I will just keep making it until someone announces to the public here and explains themselves. (spam is what I do best, and if ya ban me, face it its your loss not mine because you will just make me a martyr and thus proving my point even more)

According to the rules of the forum:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/boardrules/

Rule 4 - Advertising/Soliciting Advertising or soliciting a product or site for the purpose of commercial gain without the consent of the administrators is prohibited. Any such postings may be deleted for any reason. This includes any sigs and or titles advertising similar sites. Posting links to auctions or sales is also not allowed. Soliciting invites in any form including through PM messages is also prohibited. Those soliciting may have their account locked or Banned from the site.

So if this is happening, obviously it is with consent of one of the administrators. The guy has it in his sig as well which also violates the rules of the forum.

Dont make rules if you allow certain users to break em. Then there is no point to the rule.

I dont understand why you are allowing this and trying to slip it under everyone's noses. More...informed users will see that and laugh hysterically at the prices for a VPS server also. My question is when did this forum all the sudden start advertising of seedboxes?

The average user will see those and not realize what a rip off it is, so judging from that aspect it looks like someone is trying to make a little profit on the newbies.

Just my opinion, just thought Id throw it out there for a few people to see and realize.

To those who see that advertisement...its the biggest con job. You can get a vps for under $30 with unlimited bandwidth and a larger hard drive from numerous other places then for $60...with guess what guys, free downloads to home.

Show me one dedicated or VPS that requires you to pay for downloading stuff off of it and Ill throw in the towel right now. :lol::lol:

jonny81985
02-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Yea, I saw that advertisment too, Not only was teh deal a rip off, 60 dollars for 1 Tb i think? but it was actually stickied. What is the deal with that? Either way guys, especially some of the new guys around here, dont fall for rip offs like that. If you are looking for a seedbox ask an experienced member around here and they will help you find a good one that best suits your needs.

Either way I agree with fatcat, if some people are allowed to break the rules that really isnt fair and should be dealt with. Alls i know that as soon as the thread started getting negative reaction it was like poof, magically gone. So any sort of explantion would be nice :)

Jon

stoi
02-22-2008, 08:40 PM
They acctually had ads for a similair company several months ago.
Forget the name of it to be honest. either case they had a better deal in cost at least.

You can tell they are allowing it due to the fact it was made a sticky and then moved to its own section.
I however dont think they are making any money or commission so to say off the adds. Maybe they made some other type of deal with the person.
As far as ive been told they dont make any money off their ads for newsgroup sites you see banners for ect..

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/adservices.php?do=choosead&step=3

dunson
02-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Is it really unusual to include FTP transfers on a cheap torrent VPS? I hope I didn't just get ripped off I got economy 2 to split with a friend: http://www.jmhservices.com/seed.htm
it is 2000GB a mo on a 90gb HD with what must be a shared 100 line for $90USD a mo
It says elsewhere, under "Legal" for some reason, that they add up your FTP use every week...

jonny81985
02-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Is it really unusual to include FTP transfers on a cheap torrent VPS? I hope I didn't just get ripped off I got economy 2 to split with a friend: http://www.jmhservices.com/seed.htm
it is 2000GB a mo on a 90gb HD with what must be a shared 100 line for $90USD a mo
It says elsewhere, under "Legal" for some reason, that they add up your FTP use every week...

Seems like a little much, are you under contract with them?

fatcat69
02-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Unfortunately you did :-( Vectoral has a box that is dedicated for the same price and has 3000TB.

:(

SgtMajor
02-22-2008, 08:45 PM

No, it's standard practice, data is data, both up & down is counted and whatever method you use is counted, FTP, HTTP, torrents.

dunson
02-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I ordered it today. Eh, I'm stoned and I saw I could share it with my friend (who is a noob and needs something easy like torrentflux.

I immediately wrote an email asking for them to cancel, but it should be up soon, so IDK if they will give me a hard time or not.

jonny81985
02-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Go with hosting-ie, i pay 35 euros a month for unlimited bandwidth and the speeds are great

dunson
02-22-2008, 08:47 PM

Unfortunately you did :-( Vectoral has a box that is dedicated for the same price and has 3000TB.

Yeah and I had signed up for another one that was 650GB for $45 :(

I just want something easy and torrent friendly but I really thought the hosting ie was expensive and I don't know how to install a client on it or anything. :(

No, it's standard practice, data is data, both up & down is counted and whatever method you use is counted, FTP, HTTP, torrents.

Jeez I'm confused now. You guys all seem to know what you're saying. :/

KoNaI
02-22-2008, 08:49 PM
I ordered it today. Eh, I'm stoned and I saw I could share it with my friend (who is a noob and needs something easy like torrentflux.

I immediately wrote an email asking for them to cancel, but it should be up soon, so IDK if they will give me a hard time or not.
wow , that suck i hope they wont give you, hard time canceling.

fatcat69
02-22-2008, 08:51 PM

I just want something easy and torrent friendly but I really thought the hosting ie was expensive and I don't know how to install a client on it or anything. :(

Jeez I'm confused now. You guys all seem to know what you're saying. :/

Well for a vps you get a Ip, a user id, and a password.

From your home computer, you use remote desktop, you enter the ip as the server, your user id and password and connect.

This brings up a windows desktop, identical to the one you have at home.

you just do things like you were if you were at home, install utorrent, start downloading torrents.

it is really that simple.

SgtMajor
02-22-2008, 08:52 PM

You might not know, but others round here certainly know, and you know what, we don't bite ;)

I've had Hosting.ie for nearly 12 months now, would not be without it, but I am going to cut my teeth on a Linux box shortly and just like you will be blind, but I have no problems in asking for guidance for the members here :)

dunson
02-22-2008, 08:54 PM
I only had a Debian seedbox for a day or two and that was tricky. Im just confused about what to do about this server I just signed up for and ordered canceled. I just don't know about the FTP charges and bandwith and rate etc.

fatcat69
02-22-2008, 08:57 PM

You might not know, but others round here certainly know, and you know what, we don't bite ;)

Well unless you want to be bitten ;-)
bow chica bow wow..

But in seriousness, Sgt is right, we are here to help. Thats why I created this thread because I was worried someone would jump in on that and think it is a good deal...and it is anything but that.

Torrentflux sites make sooo much money because they take advantage of the fact that you dont know what you are doing.

But thanks to forums, you can learn. I have in my sig, posted the "how to " guide to secure downloads from a seedbox to home, and it has complete picture guide and it is posted on nearly every torrent site I could think of that has seedbox users.

I am always here to pm if you need help with a seedbox or questions.

here is a faq for seedboxes...although it only covers dedicated servers.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-bt-dedicated-serverseedbox-152272

ignore the axx part...this is outdated.

grimms
02-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Go with hosting-ie, i pay 35 euros a month for unlimited bandwidth and the speeds are great

whats your ul speed jonny81985?

dunson
02-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks, I've learned a lot about seedboxes here, but I think I've just had too many options thrown at me. They refunded my money...so who should I sign up with?

So is it possible to share an account on hosting-ie with my buddy? Or vectoral? Those are the two most often recommended. I just need as much BW as possible for under $50 or $100 for 2 of us...

Then again, my friend is really a noob so I don't know what he can handle, plus he's crazy so I don't know if he'll go for hosting ie's three month minimum... Ehhh sorry.

I really like the hosting ie raptor series...would 2 ip addresses imply that both of us could use it to run torrents?

RealitY
02-22-2008, 09:10 PM
The thread was removed as it shouldnt have been done that way. Its now where other adverts have been before. Its also noted as such. For those that want to debate the value of it they are more than welcome to...

SgtMajor
02-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks, I've learned a lot about seedboxes here, but I think I've just had too many options thrown at me. They refunded my money...so who should I sign up with?

So is it possible to share an account on hosting-ie with my buddy? Or vectoral? Those are the two most often recommended. I just need as much BW as possible for under $50 or $100 for 2 of us...

Then again, my friend is really a noob so I don't know what he can handle, plus he's crazy so I don't know if he'll go for hosting ie's three month minimum... Ehhh sorry.

I really like the hosting ie raptor series...would 2 ip addresses imply that both of us could use it to run torrents?

Yes, he can log in and manage his own torrents, you as the admin need to set up certain things, like adding him as a user and granting RDC privs to that user profile.

Things to note:

Never log in at the same time
Never download at the same time

And for $100 you would be better off getting a dedic box, have a look at the 581, great for 3 months of torrenting between 2 people.

dunson
02-22-2008, 09:26 PM

Yes, he can log in and manage his own torrents, you as the admin need to set up certain things, like adding him as a user and granting RDC privs to that user profile.

Things to note:

Never log in at the same time
Never download at the same time

And for $100 you would be better off getting a dedic box, have a look at the 581, great for 3 months of torrenting between 2 people.

Thanks a lot, you're a great help! :)

jonny81985
02-22-2008, 09:51 PM

My top upload speed is about 11.5 mB/s but it has to be very popular torrents. I would say average about 6-9 mB/s on sct, swedvdr, and otehr bigger sites. If I upload something to some of the sites I am an uploader at and get a few leechers on the torrent it'll easily run around 10 mB/s up for the length of the upload :).

Jon

fatcat69
02-22-2008, 10:03 PM

My top upload speed is about 11.5 mB/s but it has to be very popular torrents. I would say average about 6-9 mB/s on sct, swedvdr, and otehr bigger sites. If I upload something to some of the sites I am an uploader at and get a few leechers on the torrent it'll easily run around 10 mB/s up for the length of the upload :).

Jon

I can vouch for this...Jon was letting me play with it, and his VPS blows my dedicated vectoral zephyr outta the water.

:w00t:

briand5379
02-22-2008, 10:05 PM
It looks like a 3rd world country box that's overpriced. In other words it's a rip off. You pay more, get less bandwidth and more then likely less performance. Why bother.

jonny81985
02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
http://img529.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img529/7329/superspeed2qo3.jpg

Here's a screen shot of some of the speed on the hosting-ie vps :)

jam0980tr
02-22-2008, 10:19 PM
The other day i uploaded Rambo.IV.R5.DVDR-UNiVERSAL in 7 mins and that phaat speed i had frm my Rtorrent was just amazing to see 30mb/ a second i suggest guys you should try reckedge out

jonny81985
02-22-2008, 10:21 PM
The other day i uploaded Rambo.IV.R5.DVDR-UNiVERSAL in 7 mins and that phaat speed i had frm my Rtorrent was just amazing to see 30mb/ a second i suggest guys you should try reckedge out

What are the specs and prices? For mine I only pay 35 euros a month.

briand5379
02-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I agree you'd have to provide us with a link and so on. I think it's considerably more expensive then 35e a month.

Hey don't forgot hosting ie charges tax and stuff so things may not be as cheap as they appear.

jam0980tr
02-22-2008, 10:30 PM
https://secure.rackedge.com/

jonny81985
02-22-2008, 10:32 PM
https://secure.rackedge.com/

That link is to your personal log in page

briand5379
02-22-2008, 10:34 PM
http://www.rackedge.com/index.php

Definitely a little too expensive for my tastes. I'm not surprised you got those kinds of speeds.

jam0980tr
02-22-2008, 10:35 PM
opps sorry

grimms
02-23-2008, 12:05 AM

Jon

Shiieeett.:w00t::w00t: I need seedbox, i still need to get on my seedbox knowledge though. Thanks jon.

SgtMajor
02-23-2008, 12:30 AM
http://img529.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img529/7329/superspeed2qo3.jpg

Here's a screen shot of some of the speed on the hosting-ie vps :)

Which VPS did you get?

jonny81985
02-23-2008, 12:35 AM
i got the raptor 5 :)

dunson
02-23-2008, 12:39 AM
I just got the same one... Hopefully I get some sweet speeds. How fast is your connection to your server on FTP?

r00t
02-27-2008, 09:24 PM
i got the raptor 5 :)

I got some questions too you jonny :D
i look on a VPS server from Hosting-ie, but then i see this:

http://www.netclusive.de/images/haken.gif Processor Power: 300 %
http://www.netclusive.de/images/haken.gif Memory: 300 %

what will that mean? :)

thx in advance..