PDA

View Full Version : Seedbox comparison

dythim
02-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey all,

I currently have a seedbox with softlayer and I have been interested in switching to an eu seedbox. The two I'm most interested are hosting-ie and vectoral. How is the b/w at both places, quality of service, and overall experience/rating? Thanks!

Neo
02-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Why don't you consider leaseweb? It's what I use and IMO it's the best... specially if u want a EU based server.

fatcat69
02-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Why don't you consider leaseweb? It's what I use and IMO it's the best... specially if u want a EU based server.

Ya but they are so expensive!

I posted a ranking from a site that has a considerable amount of experienced users in this thread:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-need-good-seedbox-post2685864/postcount10

undo the spoilers ( I did the spoiler thing so it wouldnt take up too much space)

SgtMajor
02-23-2008, 06:46 PM

And what's the point of being stuck with 500GB a week (all traffic!, up, down & FTP), no matter how fast you can down & up and even if it is the best? No doubt they are tops, but restricted BW.

Hosting.ie is catching up with peer numbers, and I've just done 327GB up in less than the last 12 hours.

Why pay for the best if it's limited?

Look for something that offers value for money in all departments, speed, bandwidth, costs, hardware, customer support, ease of use, and any other category you wish to add.

VPS is good to wet your feet, give it a month or two, you will either have done your ratio a world of good, or been impressed enough to move to a dedi.

dunson
02-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Whoa sarge, I can't wait to get my hands on that box! 327GB up! w00t!

Neo
02-23-2008, 07:43 PM
@Sargeant

Am I capped at 500 GB a week? I didn't even notice that. Well, that can be as far as my package goes ( I have a 2 TB limit/month ) but there they have upgraded their packages and there are now 4 TB traffic limit options. Surely those can't be capped at 500 GB/week.

I just proposed leaseweb cause dythim was saying he was a softlayer client which is not that cheap also...

I will have a look at your hosting.ie cause what I'm not happy with is with their ( leaseweb ) hardware specs... At least for their "cheaper" packs like mine.

Kapone
02-23-2008, 07:48 PM
I agree with Neo. I'm with Leaseweb as well. I have a dedi with great speeds and customer support windows server OS. But could use alot more ram from this memory eating hog of a system. I have to learn Linux.. LMAO..

SgtMajor
02-23-2008, 07:50 PM
LW do not cap, but jeesh - never go over, massive tariffs for going over your BW.

It was 2Tb /4 = 500GB a week, but if they have improved & increased their basics to 4TB, then that is good news, they needed to keep up with demand and the times, so 4TB /4 is = to 1TB per week - not bad.

Hosting have the new hardware, which I have been going on about since this year, and I have yet to see a better service for the price, bo - not the fastest overall, but for speed & money & hard disk space & specs etc, it just can't be beaten, and the number of hosting to hosting peers is increasing.

Sure - ScT whores won't like them, but we are not all ScT fanbois :D

dythim
02-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Neo/Kapone: Do you come close to the 2 TB traffic limit? I know this will vary from person to person but I'm just getting a feel for the quality of b/w and the number of seedboxes at the location.

Kapone: Go Linux! If you need help setting it up, just PM me. I'll help you out! :)

Neo
02-23-2008, 07:54 PM
I agree with Neo. I'm with Leaseweb as well. I have a dedi with great speeds and customer support windows server OS. But could use alot more ram from this memory eating hog of a system. I have to learn Linux.. LMAO..

Yes... That the way to go. Learn Linux! I'm a total idiot at it but I'll have to learn at least enough to set up a seedbox.

The RAM issue is the worst. 1 GB Ram is just not enough for Windows 2003 running a considerable amount of torrents. Sometimes the all thing is so slow... surfing the net becomes a torture...not to mention the Disk overload stuff...

On the other hand speed are awesome indeed ( specially upload ).

P.S. @ Sargeant: But what speeds do you really get. I mean, stable, sustainable speeds...

SgtMajor
02-23-2008, 08:06 PM
P.S. @ Sargeant: But what speeds do you really get. I mean, stable, sustainable speeds...

Currently seeding 10 torrents to 5 trackers at 6.3MB/s, and has been for at least the last 3 hours since I got back.

Down I cap at 4MB/s to prevent disk overload.

I am not an 0Day uploader, so I do not need need blistering speeds, but each to their own, the only bad things you hear about hosting are customer service, agreed - it could do with being better, and from those that can afford much better specs & boxes who laugh looking down at Hosting, to them I say so what - it does me :)

dythim
02-23-2008, 08:36 PM
From what I'm reading, it appears the top two eu providers are leaseweb and hosting-ie. I am still curious about vectoral. However, I will proceed to negotiate with these providers into getting the prices I want. They always want customers and we can leverage that over them.

Thanks for the great responses!

Kapone
02-23-2008, 08:43 PM
@dythim I thought when I first signed up that 2000 gigs a month was going to be WAY more then enough for me. Of course little did know..LMAO.. I cut way back until the end of the month. Could I get by with 2000 gigs yes. But I do like helping out my sites and love to seed back a ton. Eventually I will be going with more gigs but the price is a little steep to do that now......

dythim
02-23-2008, 08:46 PM
I feel the same way. I currently have 2 TB allocated traffic with softlayer and I usually go over because I enjoy seeding. It's my way of giving back to the great private tracker communities out there.

B/w traffic is definitely expensive especially when you need more but hey, who doesn't!