PDA

View Full Version : OVH Seedbox & Fedora

SgtMajor
02-23-2008, 09:55 PM
ok, so I got a freebie KimiSurf seedbox for 12 months!! :w00t:

I choose Fedora distro based on a recommendation.

Does this guide still apply?

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-installing-utorrent-leeware-walkthrough-169620

wtf do I start? :P

Not specifics (ok some!!), but more guides & walkthroughs would be appreciated.

And they've just limited the BW to 100000 Kbps for the freebies :(

F3n1x
02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
just follow that guide i got one yesterday and if you follow that guide you will have a utorrent webui all installed in a few minutes if you need help contact me.

use winscp for put webui in the correct place.

yayyyyyy
02-23-2008, 11:31 PM
I would go for rtorrent...

I wouldn't start putting wine, vnc and all that crap on a poor 256mb ram box ;)

what's this "freebie"?
got it directly from ovh?

do you live in a country they are starting to serve?

SgtMajor
02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
rtorrent - now I am starting to get confused.

And yes:

Hi,

OVH, the No. 1 French hosting company with more than 26,000 dedicated servers and networks with more than 160 Gbps of total bandwidth, would like to offer you a free trial of 100 dedicated servers for one whole year. It's a Celeron 2.0GHz with 160Gb of hard disk and 100Mbps of bandwidth. That's right, there are no strings attached with this offer and you can use of all its features for a variety of things, such as, building websites or storing data.

In exchange, all we ask of our testers will be to exploit it to its highest capability, by doing things such as, using the full bandwidth, testing the hardware, the re-installation of the system, checking the reboot and rescue system and then giving us feedback if there are any problems or incorrect functioning of the features. Along with this brilliant offer, we'll also give you a .co.uk for free forever for each dedicated server so that you can test the secondary DNS and MX installations.

If you are interested in testing one of our 100 high quality free servers for a year, all you have to do is to contact us at xxx. Remember to be quick to ensure you get one.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post it on our growing and open forum at forum.ovh.co.uk

Enjoy...

OVH UK team

:D

yayyyyyy
02-24-2008, 12:09 AM
rtorrent is a very nice and powerfull linux command line client.

eventually if you absolutly want a webui there's wTorrent:
http://canbruixa.homelinux.net/wt/

about the ovh servers... I'm very happy for you :D

weenden
02-24-2008, 12:11 AM
dont go r torrent its just so friggen bland go utorrent at least u have controll

Artemis
02-24-2008, 12:14 AM
That walkthrough very much still applies to the OVH seedbox, the distro is configured the same way, wine and a utorrent container aren't much of a system overhead if you wish to run the system this way or you can run rtorrent via the command line.

fisherman
02-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Did u get set up SgtMajor (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/sgtmajor-79679) ?

If u want pm me and I can give u a dig out via msn as it would take forever in this thread. It would take 30mins via msn max....

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 12:26 AM
I'll do the walkthrough first, gives me an understanding of at least some aspects of learning some commands.

Once I have mastered that at least, then I can ask about ways of improving things :)

Thanks for all the responses.

t0mmy
02-24-2008, 12:43 AM
how do we get the free trial?

fisherman
02-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Once u log into your server via putty type>>>> yum -y install xterm wine vnc-server

Now type>>> yum -y install wget

Now type>>> wget http://download.utorrent.com/1.7.7/utorrent.exe

Now type>>> vncserver :1 (it might ask u to enter a password, if it does just enter a password of your choice as you'll need it to log in via tightvnc)

Now type>> exit

Now open up tightvnc and enter you IP address BUT U have to put :1 at the end of it. And enter ur password

You'll now see a command screen so type>>> wine utorrent1.7.7.exe

Utorrent should now be open so enter the settings and set them whatever way u wish but go down to the "advance" tab and click "web Ui"... now put a tick it the enable web interface. Now enter a user name and password of ur choice so u can access it thru webgui. And also put a tick in the "Alternative listening port 8080 option" and exit.

Now go to this link and download the webui>>> http://download.utorrent.com/beta/webui_v0.310_beta_2.rar
Extract the Webu.zip

Now log into ur server via Winscp and browse to the folder below and drag the extracted webui.zip into the utorrent folder.

>>> /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/root/Application Data/uTorrent

Now finally copy ur IP into ur internet browser like this and you'll be good to go >> http://xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/gui

Now enter ur user and password and ur set.

Hope that made some sense and can help u out somewhat :)

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 01:02 AM
how do we get the free trial?

Move to the UK :P

t0mmy
02-24-2008, 01:46 AM
lol! i tihnk its worth it :D!

mummysboy
02-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Think all the positions have been filled anyway guys

I just waiting for my root details [dang i was third one to post for the box and you beat me sgt major lol]

Apparently my box broke before i got it :o Needs to run a nix distro so back to the drawing board lol

02-24-2008, 02:34 AM
u are damn lucky SGTmajor

i'm in UK how can i get one??

fisherman
02-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Think all the positions have been filled anyway guys

I just waiting for my root details [dang i was third one to post for the box and you beat me sgt major lol]

Apparently my box broke before i got it :o Needs to run a nix distro so back to the drawing board lol

Tell ya what i can't understand is I was with Tzulo going way back and the great thing was if you wanted to do a re-install there was an option for it. Not only could u do a re-install but If I was running Fedora and wanted Centos, I could choose re-install and choose Centos and bam!! within less than 15 minutes i had a re-install of a different OS.

Most big providers want DAYS notice to do a simple re-install of ur OS.

Even to request a re-boot it can be teethious so the simple solution instead of requesting a re-boot is to log into your server via putty and simply type reboot
It will say the server is going down now and that it!!!

Good l.uck in getting set up soon but I hear they can have really crap waiting times : \

mummysboy
02-24-2008, 02:55 AM
I can confirm that the promised 1 hour to get my box was 12 hours ago and still going.

But as im testing all their support lines at the min its not proving a problem. They can take as long as they want - im going to have it for 12 months, i can wait a couple of days if needbe.

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 03:25 AM
Well I followed everything up there, and I'm in. 12 months seedbox for nothing - nice :)

One thing - the torrent exe file is utorrent.exe and no numbers, had me going for a while that did :P

I was well informed to install MC, (midnight commander) - Norton Commander for old DOSsers like me! :)

So how does one install & run programmes, and some ideas for good stuff would be welcome :)

And does WinSCP do something similar though - add & remove files & directories?

jam0980tr
02-24-2008, 03:36 AM
u are damn lucky SGTmajor

i'm in UK how can i get one??

GeT that server
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/kimsufi.xml

Then go to the forum

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8&page=14

post your info
Number: bla bla
Date: bla bla
Expiry date: bla bla

and rest they will tell you ;)

and enjoy free server 12 months

deKoy
02-24-2008, 03:40 AM
How long does it take to get the server information sent to your email address after the guy says "done"?

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 03:48 AM
How long does it take to get the server information sent to your email address after the guy says "done"?

Just about the 30 minute mark.

Dubstepper
02-24-2008, 03:52 AM

Just about the 30 minute mark.

If i buy that server, do i definitely get 12 months free? Or is it like a competition? And does it renew payment every month if not?

Thanks.

deKoy
02-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Hmm, I've been waiting like 4 hours...

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 05:08 AM
Update:

Downloading a DVD from TL at 6MB/S :w00t: :happy:

Questions, questions, questions:

1. How do I re-run utorrent on the Kimi box? (I had to go through MC to double click on the utorrent exe), wine utorrent.exe says "module not found"

2. It has another drive, Z drive (dev/sda2), how do I navigate to that drive, create a directory (mkdir) Torrents and get utorrent to download the torrents there?

3. How do I get there (the Z Drive or dev/sda2) via WinSCP and drag them back to my PC thej delete the files/directory?

How do I file manage with utorrent & WinSCP basically?

Oh how a GUI has made us all lazy these days :D

naq
02-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Update:

1. How do I re-run utorrent on the Kimi box? (I had to go through MC to double click on the utorrent exe), wine utorrent.exe says "module not found"

2. It has another drive, Z drive (dev/sda2), how do I navigate to that drive, create a directory (mkdir) Torrents and get utorrent to download the torrents there?

3. How do I get there (the Z Drive or dev/sda2) via WinSCP and drag them back to my PC thej delete the files/directory?

1. No idea what you are saying. Seems you are running utorrent in vnc. I'd suggest you to install a windows manager to have the basic control. Easiest way:

yum install fluxbox
nano ~/.vnc/xstartup
delete all the text in this file, type "fluxbox", save and quit
restart vncserver

2. Type "df" to see where the sda2 partition is mounted, most likely it's /home. Then you can set utorrent to save stuff there.

3. Once you know where sda2 is from step 2, just browse to it in Winscp to transfer/delete. I think utorrent move files into the Trash by default, that would be in ~/.local/share/Trash, there's a setting somewhere to make it permanently delete data in advanced preferences.

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 05:50 AM
1. Yes - in VNC, will try & implement your recommendations and see if that improves it.

2. It was in /home - so defaulted to there, happy with that now, I can see where the shit is going, and I have room to download again! :)

3. - Thanks - will follow it through

cheers for the reply :)

fatcat69
02-24-2008, 06:45 AM
1. Yes - in VNC, will try & implement your recommendations and see if that improves it.

2. It was in /home - so defaulted to there, happy with that now, I can see where the shit is going, and I have room to download again! :)

3. - Thanks - will follow it through

cheers for the reply :)

Good so when I get mine Im just going to hit you up for a guide!

Yea for free seeboxes! :happy:

jam0980tr
02-24-2008, 06:50 AM
SgtMajor (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/sgtmajor-79679) friend how is your new server running ;)

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 07:08 AM
SgtMajor (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/sgtmajor-79679) friend how is your new server running ;)

It's running perfect, I know it was only 1 film from TL, but I got it to 8+MB/s down, 5+MB/s up - but there are not that many peers left, so I reckon I could push it to the max!

150GB hard disk free seedbox for 12 months, why would I complain anyway :D

I still don't like the way utorrent looks though via vnc, and there must be a way to execute it easier (I still have to find it via browsing & double clicking on the file - and I do this through MC) & I want to increase window size & the way looks, but that is cosmetic.

And is there a way to change admin passwords?

jam0980tr
02-24-2008, 07:14 AM
thats good friend i hope you fixes everything and it runs sweet :)

I don't know if it's the same way on fedora server

well on my linux server i do this command

*passwd* change the pass and it will ask you 2nd time do the same and its changed :)

I wanna try that 2Gbp server lol

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 07:26 AM
1Gbp is not that much :w00t:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eg.xml

Now that I am the class expert, who knows?? ;)

jam0980tr
02-24-2008, 07:41 AM
hey am getting one too ;) just done all the parts just waitting for there reply

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 07:45 AM
hey am getting the Debian 4.0 ;) just done all the parts just waitting for there reply

hahaha :D

I'll let you play with mine if I can play with yours :lol:

fisherman
02-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Update:

Sometimes when u exit utorrent a try re-run it in wine it will say module not found..... the only solution I found for that was to download utorrent1.7.7.exe to ur actual xp or vista HD, now log into your server via Winscp and browse to the folder>> /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
Drag the utorrent1.7.7.exe into the folder, now go back in to tightvnc and type >> wine utorrent1.7.7.exe and that will do the trick.

When u download ur files, by default they should end up in this folder>> /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/uTorrent
So just log in via Winscp, navigate to the folder and drag ur files to your hd and once it's complete just delete the file from your server.

Also be sure to clear your trash from time to time as it can clog up your hd so navigate to this folder >> /root/.local/share/Trash and delete all the files.

Seems like U got on a winner with this server SgtMajor, it sounds really good.

mr.Dman
02-24-2008, 03:55 PM

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-installing-utorrent-leeware-walkthrough-169620

Sarge glad It worked for you!!
I just wish they would rent one to me :frusty:
But I live were they will not rent them.
Hosting-Ie has me all messed up for a week now and can't use anything:(

Presto
02-24-2008, 04:11 PM
sarge you lucky bastard (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../tags.php?tag=sarge+you+lucky+bastard) !

NekohDot
02-24-2008, 04:23 PM
I just got in aswell

I'm just waiting on someone to come on msn to help me with it :happy:

Hrvoje
02-24-2008, 04:52 PM
what about us who chosed the windows installation. how about a quick guide oO?

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I just got in aswell

I'm just waiting on someone to come on msn to help me with it :happy:

Good news :D

Did you ask someone or are you still waiting?

Sometimes when u exit utorrent a try re-run it in wine it will say module not found..... the only solution I found for that was to download utorrent1.7.7.exe to ur actual xp or vista HD, now log into your server via Winscp and browse to the folder>> /root/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
Drag the utorrent1.7.7.exe into the folder, now go back in to tightvnc and type >> wine utorrent1.7.7.exe and that will do the trick.

When u download ur files, by default they should end up in this folder>> /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/uTorrent
So just log in via Winscp, navigate to the folder and drag ur files to your hd and once it's complete just delete the file from your server.

Also be sure to clear your trash from time to time as it can clog up your hd so navigate to this folder >> /root/.local/share/Trash and delete all the files.

Seems like U got on a winner with this server SgtMajor, it sounds really good.

Right - put a copy of the utorrent exe in that dir too, but it's running smooth at the moment, so I'll leave it running and hope it works the next ime I need it.

I moved the default folder to /home, which is where all the drive space is.

Made a note of the trash dir, thanks for the tip.

I also installed Midnight Commander (MC), Norton Commander lookalike for the oldies round here,

yum install mc

which runs perfect & in full screen via putty, and normal small screen in VNC, type the command mc to see what it does.

Why was I so hesitant all this time!

And I still do not like the utorrent screen yet, anyway to "drag" it into a full screen mode?

/me looks lovingly at their 1Gbps servers :P

NekohDot
02-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Someone offered to help me set it up but i don't know what time zone there in so they might come on when im asleep.

dunson
02-24-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm glad you got a free server, you're a nice guy who deserves such luck. :D

fisherman
02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
SgtMajor (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/sgtmajor-79679) the actual webui can't be dragged into full mode if thats what you mean, not as far as I know anyway. And even when u view utorrent through wine it's sometimes hard to see the general details, you have to scroll down slowly lol, this can't be changed either as far as I know but someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Another little tip is if you are to partial seed a very big pack thats has 100's of .rar pieces, usually you just hit the FILE tab, highlight the pieces, right click and hit "don't download".... well that works with normal files through the webUi but as I said for the bigger packs U have to log in via TightVnc and do it the same way. Why this is i've no idea but I learned the hard way going way back.

Whats ur FTP speed like ?

naq
02-24-2008, 07:25 PM
And I still do not like the utorrent screen yet, anyway to "drag" it into a full screen mode?

Like I said earlier, install fluxbox to have control of the windows (maximize, minimize, move, etc.).

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 07:29 PM

Like I said earlier, install fluxbox to have control of the windows (maximize, minimize, move, etc.).

I did, I typed "fluxbox" but:

How do I save & exit? Nothing happens - it just sat there looking at me :lol: I had to quit and start over.

What the hell does it do and what do I do with it, ie - how do I use it, commands to get it running, and commands within commands, a guide would be handy.

cheers :)

naq
02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
in nano, press Ctrl+W to save, Ctrl+X to quit.

All the commands for nano is listed in the bottom, it's just a simple text editor.

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Ctrl+W brought up a search box at the bottom.

Ctrl+G for help, doesn't show any save commands.

Sorry - but what am I doing with nano - "a simple text editor", how does that help with window resizing in TightVNC.

I don't like doing things if I do not understand how they help me and what they do for me, I'm sure you are the same? :)

cheers,

naq
02-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Oops, my mistake, it's Ctrl+O to save, it's "WriteOut" on the bottom. Or it'd would ask if you want to save if you just exit by Ctrl+X.

dythim
02-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Use vi! Lol

xman
02-25-2008, 12:17 AM
I have also a free server, but i cannot how to connect. Any help?

SgtMajor
02-25-2008, 12:21 AM
1Gbp is not that much :w00t:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eg.xml

Now that I am the class expert, who knows?? ;)

Hey jam0980tr, did you get one, is it fast? Does it do what you want it to do, knowing you are a seedbox speed freak :D

Feedback would be good, when you can.

Dubstepper
02-25-2008, 04:55 AM
I applied for mine earlier, im probably too late, but its worth a try.

Been looking for a decent one for a while, used to use one but it got closed down because of the high amount of bandwith lol.

naq
02-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Sorry - but what am I doing with nano - "a simple text editor", how does that help with window resizing in TightVNC.

I don't like doing things if I do not understand how they help me and what they do for me, I'm sure you are the same? :)

cheers,

:)

I think you know the importance of a text editor in linux now, eh? Sorry if I wasn't being clear earlier, what I instructed was to modify the vncserver startup file to start fluxbox, which is a window manager that would allow you to have window resizing and all GUI and mouse clicking things you are familiar with.

SgtMajor
02-25-2008, 05:22 AM

cheers,

:)

I think you know the importance of a text editor in linux now, eh? Sorry if I wasn't being clear earlier, what I instructed was to modify the vncserver startup file to start fluxbox, which is a window manager that would allow you to have window resizing and all GUI and mouse clicking things you are familiar with.

No worries, it's amazing how simple it is to give advice when you know what you are doing, sometimes it's much harder to receive that advice and understand what was meant :)

mummysboy
02-25-2008, 06:53 AM
I put it on par with a low level VPS - im running windows and the low ram makes it really unstable - so if peeps are toying with getting the kimi then nix is the way to go.

Going to have a play with some settings but plesk is screwing a whole manner of things of up :S

Speeds are good for a shared VPS - dodgy for a dedi :O but - it is unmetered, i am going to put a b/w monitor on it to see what times are best too for seedage

SgtMajor
02-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Nix was defo the way to go, mine is now running sweet as a nut on Fedora, and in my short time I have:

Got VNC running in full screen, via vnc server & win client, with utorrent also in full screen, using webui & firefox on my PC to add & remove torrents.

Installed an FTP server (VSFTPD), changed the default port number of the server, changed the default location so that I go straight to my /home directory where the torrents are, and am now downloading at 20MB to my home PC with 12 connections via WSFTP_Pro.

Changed the default log in port of the server, removed root as a login (for security reasons), added a user to login with (learned how to Switch User) to do root stuff, remember to switch back to user.

Learned that nano is much better than vi as a text editor.

So a huge thanks to all who helped, and a massive special thanks to the guy who I was in PM with, I hope I can pass on anything I learned to anyone else needing help & assistance.

If you got a Kimi with windows, ask them to change to a unix box, and just do it ;)

naq
02-25-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't think you need to disable root login. There are some things you can't do when you login to root through su.

Don't know if you've done this yet, I've read somewhere that ovh can login as root through ssh using an authorized key authentication (so without knowing your root password). There are two ways to stop this, first:

delete the authorized keys file:

rm /root/.ssh/authorized_keys2 (I'm not sure the filename is right, use autocomplete to make sure)

or second:

disable key authentication in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

PubkeyAuthentication no

remember to restart sshd if you do this, and you can do both too.

SgtMajor
02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Knowing how to disable root user (via that waffles guide) also means I can enable, so I will leave it until I come across a problem that needs fixing, thanks for the heads up though, means I might know what is wrong when I can't do something :)

It's only a basic box, and it was free, and one I am cutting my teeth with, so I hope to make as many mistakes as I can before I have to pay for a linux box.

And now off to disable key auth ;) :D

Wormtail
02-25-2008, 11:38 PM
I got one too ! But i didnt received the details yet

Dubstepper
02-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Just got mine as well, 12 months for free :D

They said "Done" to me on OVH forum, yesterday at 8PM, been 12 hours, and no email, how long should it take?

I got the windows 2003 web edition, that should run a seedbox fine shouldn't it?

EDIT:

Same :lol:

fatcat69
02-25-2008, 11:43 PM

They said "Done" to me on OVH forum, yesterday at 8PM, been 12 hours, and no email, how long should it take?

I got the windows 2003 web edition, that should run a seedbox fine shouldn't it?

EDIT:

Well if Im reading right the box only has 256 ram....so thats a little slim for windows + utorrent...but part of their program lets you do as many reinstalls as you want...so i say test it...if it doesnt work...try linux.

Dubstepper
02-25-2008, 11:48 PM

EDIT:

Well if Im reading right the box only has 256 ram....so thats a little slim for windows + utorrent...but part of their program lets you do as many reinstalls as you want...so i say test it...if it doesnt work...try linux.

Yep

Il give it a try anyway, someone i know on here is using it and its ok i think. If not il try and get a fedora box.

mamacita
02-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Its kinda weird, some people get the "done" confirmation and then get a quick email and have their server in no time.

Others, like myself, get the "done" confirmation but then are left waiting for days to get the email details. What gives?

So far, the ones who get the non-linux options are the ones who get the server details first.

SgtMajor
02-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Maybe IP checking is going on? Making sure you are from & within the UK? Just guessing, I can't say for sure why!

As for Win Web 2003, 1GB RAM is min, 512mb and they fall over.

I bet within 24 hours you are screaming for a switch to linux.

NekohDot
02-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Im using windows with 256mb ram and its not bad at all for me, no problems yet only had to do 2 restarts because of setting up other things on it.

fatcat69
02-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Maybe IP checking is going on? Making sure you are from & within the UK? Just guessing, I can't say for sure why!

Na, because I already know a few users not in the UK who have their boxes up and running.:lol:

But I definately agree...windows needs 1gb minimum..

BUt check this out:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/flash_disks.xml

You have the box for 12 months...so you do get 1gb free flash.:whistling

Sneaky sneaky sneaky

Dubstepper
02-26-2008, 12:53 AM

Na, because I already know a few users not in the UK who have their boxes up and running.:lol:

But I definately agree...windows needs 1gb minimum..

BUt check this out:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/flash_disks.xml

You have the box for 12 months...so you do get 1gb free flash.:whistling

Sneaky sneaky sneaky

I like it, i like it a lot :shifty:

BlueLabel
02-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Its kinda weird, some people get the "done" confirmation and then get a quick email and have their server in no time.

thats how it is with all the companies
they firsst waiting for the payment transferring which is take few days and after they get it they PM the details

p.s
major pm me please your inbox close

jam0980tr
02-26-2008, 02:56 AM

Hey jam0980tr, did you get one, is it fast? Does it do what you want it to do, knowing you are a seedbox speed freak :D

Feedback would be good, when you can.

:D
I got done with the quote

Your order is in progress

Just waitting for the edited msg then it's ready :P

let me set mine up and i'll be back with my Feed back :)
I wanna maxs this seedboxs out much as i can.

SgtMajor
02-26-2008, 03:38 AM
Nice one jam0980tr, seeing as I have a free one, I might go halfers on the same box with someone?

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eglarge.xml

bluelabel - make sure to add me as a friend, PMs got too busy earlier :D

fatcat69
02-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Nice one jam0980tr, seeing as I have a free one, I might go halfers on the same box with someone?

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eglarge.xml

bluelabel - make sure to add me as a friend, PMs got too busy earlier :D

Eh you wont really need the 1gbs...100 will be fine...superplan l was what i was going to get until i got this freebie.

Oh were do you see the 10tb limit, as nothing i have says im limited.

SgtMajor
02-26-2008, 05:45 AM
There's reports of 5 OVH boxes (which were paid for before the freebies came in)being booted yesterday for running torrents, so I will hold back on any paid box for sure :D

Dubstepper
02-26-2008, 05:51 AM
There's reports of 5 OVH boxes (which were paid for before the freebies came in)being booted yesterday for running torrents, so I will hold back on any paid box for sure :D

Hmm, is this definite? Or rumours?

I don't want to be running torrents and getting the hosting closed down lol :angry:

SgtMajor
02-26-2008, 06:09 AM
These were paid for.

Let me explain, the two I know of are paid for 100 dedicated. I didn't even know there was a free offer until I seen this thread. The servers I know were just shutdown were also paid for. Ours was not touched and it appears some servers were comprimised is what got them looking into it. Again ours was not touched and everything is fine, just not seeding with them at the moment.

How & what compromised means, I dunno, but don't be surprised if the freebies end up the same way.

They were after all, meant to be web hosting boxes with a free domain thrown in ;)

So - remove root access, change port numbers, don't allow key auth access, that should prevent any snooping into what is on your box :D

jam0980tr
02-26-2008, 06:21 AM
SgtMajor (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/sgtmajor-79679) thanks for the tips and i'll be well care full i'll give it few days before i start work on this new seedboxs

Dubstepper (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/dubstepper-199077)

remove root access change the port and the key, set it up like SgtMajor you be ok ;)

and thanks for everyone for helping in this thread <3

Hrvoje
02-26-2008, 02:02 PM
So - remove root access, change port numbers, don't allow key auth access, that should prevent any snooping into what is on your box :D

how can that be done in w2k3?
thx

fatcat69
02-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Nix was defo the way to go, mine is now running sweet as a nut on Fedora, and in my short time I have:

Got VNC running in full screen, via vnc server & win client, with utorrent also in full screen, using webui & firefox on my PC to add & remove torrents.

Installed an FTP server (VSFTPD), changed the default port number of the server, changed the default location so that I go straight to my /home directory where the torrents are, and am now downloading at 20MB to my home PC with 12 connections via WSFTP_Pro.

Changed the default log in port of the server, removed root as a login (for security reasons), added a user to login with (learned how to Switch User) to do root stuff, remember to switch back to user.

Learned that nano is much better than vi as a text editor.

So a huge thanks to all who helped, and a massive special thanks to the guy who I was in PM with, I hope I can pass on anything I learned to anyone else needing help & assistance.

If you got a Kimi with windows, ask them to change to a unix box, and just do it ;)

Cough post a guide cough
:lol:

Bc im setting up mine now.:wacko:

naq
02-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Good site to have if you are using fedora: http://www.fedorafaq.org/

Choose your FC version on top, then go to "How do I install software for Fedora" and follow the instructions there to add 3rd parties repositories to yum. The extra repos have more softwares and usually are more updated.
(http://www.fedorafaq.org/#getsoftware)

fatcat69
02-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Good site to have if you are using fedora: http://www.fedorafaq.org/

Choose your FC version on top, then go to "How do I install software for Fedora" and follow the instructions there to add 3rd parties repositories to yum. The extra repos have more softwares and usually are more updated.
(http://www.fedorafaq.org/#getsoftware)

Sweet.

Im still following all the steps you guys posted higher up in the thread...im at the point where Im adjusting window size in vnc.

So far making progress faster then I expected.:D

K I did the edit of the file to fluxbox, restarted it, yet still cant change window sizes.

Is there special commands to use or what?

jam0980tr
02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
mine is up and running and all the security fixes are patched :)

FXP TO FXP speed
[i] 100.0 Mbytes/12.25(s)/8,559.80Kbps
[i] 100.0 Mbytes/14.55(s)/9,208.69Kbps
[i] 100.0 Mbytes/12.72(s)/8,944.17Kbps
[i] 100.0 Mbytes/14.05(s)/9,464.77Kbps
[i] 195.4 Mbytes/13.95(s)/8,166.92Kbps

naq
02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
K I did the edit of the file to fluxbox, restarted it, yet still cant change window sizes.

There are no commands... When you restarted vncserver, do you see the taskbar on the bottom in vncviewer? If not, either fluxbox wasn't installed or you didn't properly edit the xstartup file.

jam0980tr
02-26-2008, 07:05 PM
guys need your help on this boxs now Seedbox Gentoo

What kind of set up will you go for torrenting and ftp

naq
02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I'd recommend utorrent &vsftpd. Gentoo is very good, but not ideal for a server. Because the package management (called emerge) is based on compiling the source codes which takes time. You need to learn emerge... gentoo.org has very good documentation.

SgtMajor
02-26-2008, 07:20 PM
vsftpd does perfect for me, I use WSFTP_Pro as my Win Client on my home PC, increase the connections to 12, and it maxes out my 20MB+ home line, perfect.

Utorrent & Webui work ok from POV as well.

By all means not an expert, just passing on what works for me :)

stroj
02-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Damn, they gave it to the noobs who cant even setup it.
j/k, imho its not a win to emulate windows with only 256ram - i had timeouts every second hour in webui.

i'd go for rtorrent instead, but i wouldnt complain to, its freebie :>

jam0980tr
02-26-2008, 07:37 PM
thanks i'll pass the info on to my mate who got Gentoo Seedbox

fatcat69
02-26-2008, 07:51 PM

There are no commands... When you restarted vncserver, do you see the taskbar on the bottom in vncviewer? If not, either fluxbox wasn't installed or you didn't properly edit the xstartup file.

K definitely no taskbar, Ill play around and see though.

NekohDot
02-26-2008, 08:48 PM
What does time outs mean ?

Because i've had 2 in the last 15 hours or so and when it does time out the speeds drop a bit and when i reload there back up again ?

fatcat69
02-27-2008, 12:41 AM

Ok so still getting no where, installed fluxbox as you said

"yum install fluxbox"

it went for a little bit and then displayed this:

"Finished
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do"

then brought me back the command line. So then I typed:
"nano ~/.vnc/xstartup"
and deleted everything and then type:
"fluxbox"
wrote it, and then exited nano, and typed this in the command line
"service vncserver restart"

it brings up

"Shutting down VNC server: [OK]
Starting VNC server: no displays configured [OK]"

Then I start up vnc viewer on my personal computer...log in

it just brings up the terminal and utorrent

I searched for about 2 hours before posting here to see what I did wrong...but I have no clue lol.

naq
02-27-2008, 12:48 AM
vncserver isn't running as a service. Here is how to restart it:

exit utorrent
type in putty:

vncserver -kill :1
vncserver :1

Once you login again, right click on the desktop for the fluxbox menu to start xterm.

fatcat69
02-27-2008, 01:16 AM
vncserver isn't running as a service. Here is how to restart it:

exit utorrent
type in putty:

vncserver -kill :1
vncserver :1

Once you login again, right click on the desktop for the fluxbox menu to start xterm.

I knew it was something simple.

Works great now...time to play with the toy :happy:

Ok, now Im setting up my vsftp...I put ssl, generated certificate..etc etc.

Added this to my vsftpd.conf file:

ssl_enable=YES
allow_anon_ssl=NO
force_local_data_ssl=NO
force_local_logins_ssl=NO
ssl_tlsv1=YES
ssl_sslv2=NO
ssl_sslv3=NO
rsa_cert_file=/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.pem
listen_port=XXXX

I made the user groups and everything is set up right per the tutorials:
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch15_:_Linux_FTP_Server_Setup

When I connect, everything exchanges fine...but after user pass is sent..i get this:
------------------------------------------------------

*** CuteFTP 8.1 - build Nov 12 2007 ***

STATUS:> [2/26/2008 9:45:54 PM] Connecting to FTP server...
STATUS:> [2/26/2008 9:45:54 PM] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
[2/26/2008 9:45:55 PM] 220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)
STATUS:> [2/26/2008 9:45:55 PM] Connected. Authenticating...
COMMAND:> [2/26/2008 9:45:55 PM] AUTH TLS
[2/26/2008 9:45:55 PM] 234 Proceed with negotiation.
STATUS:> [2/26/2008 9:45:55 PM] Establishing SSL session...
STATUS:> [2/26/2008 9:45:55 PM] Connected. Exchanging encryption keys...
Session Cipher: None
STATUS:> [2/26/2008 9:45:57 PM] SSL Connect time: 1466 ms.
STATUS:> [2/26/2008 9:45:57 PM] SSL encrypted session established.
COMMAND:> [2/26/2008 9:45:57 PM] PBSZ 0
[2/26/2008 9:45:57 PM] 200 PBSZ set to 0.
COMMAND:> [2/26/2008 9:45:57 PM] USER test
[2/26/2008 9:45:57 PM] 331 Please specify the password.
COMMAND:> [2/26/2008 9:45:57 PM] PASS *****
ERROR:> [2/26/2008 9:45:59 PM] Can't read from control socket. Socket error = #0.

----------------------------------------------

any ideas guys?

naq
02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
I have no clue about that cryptic error. I have ssl working fine on my server, the difference is I'm login as a normal local user without setting up the extra ftpusers group and users. Here is the difference in my config:

force_local_logins_ssl=YES
ssl_sslv2=YES
ssl_sslv3=YES

But I think that shouldn't matter since your log indicate you got past the ssl part. And I also have the same vsftpd version. So maybe try login with root to see if the problem might be with your ftp user.

fatcat69
02-27-2008, 04:20 PM
I have no clue about that cryptic error. I have ssl working fine on my server, the difference is I'm login as a normal local user without setting up the extra ftpusers group and users. Here is the difference in my config:

ssl_sslv2=YES
ssl_sslv3=YES

But I think that shouldn't matter since your log indicate you got past the ssl part. And I also have the same vsftpd version. So maybe try login with root to see if the problem might be with your ftp user.

[2/27/2008 11:17:29 AM] 530 Permission denied.
ERROR:> [2/27/2008 11:17:29 AM] Not logged in.

now how does the root not have permission.

im checking the config file after i post this.

naq
02-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Oops, my bad, root is denied login by default. Maybe instead, try creating a new normal login:

useradd -G users,wheel username
passwd username

and try login with that through ftp.

fatcat69
02-27-2008, 04:43 PM

ssl_sslv2=YES
ssl_sslv3=YES

[2/27/2008 11:17:29 AM] 530 Permission denied.
ERROR:> [2/27/2008 11:17:29 AM] Not logged in.

now how does the root not have permission.

im checking the config file after i post this.

ok found the problem...

under /etc/vsftpd/ftpusers
root was under "users not allowed to log in via ftp"
just deleted it from the list...and connected fine

dythim
02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Heh, you should avoid using root as much as possible. It's there for security reasons as that account is the one hackers try to crack the most.

fatcat69
02-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Oops, my bad, root is denied login by default. Maybe instead, try creating a new normal login:

useradd -G users,wheel username
passwd username

and try login with that through ftp.

figured it out...

Also, how do i set the home directory to

/home

i try to add a user

useradd -G users,wheel username -d /home

but it brings this up:
useradd: warning: the home directory already exists
not copying any file from skel directory into it

What i want is, so when a user logs in, they go to that directory right away and only have access to that directory

thanks!

Heh, you should avoid using root as much as possible. It's there for security reasons as that account is the one hackers try to crack the most.

ya i know, i just wanted to get this damn thing working...i removed it after i got it going ;-)

dythim
02-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Nice, cheers :)

You should compile everything in this thread and make a tutorial. This is invaluable to new linux users.

Let me know if you need any linux help.

naq
02-27-2008, 05:13 PM
When you create a new user without the -d syntax, the default home is /home/username. This is the user you should be using for everything (running utorrent & ftp), not root. utorrent will save data to /home/username by default, and ftp login will also start in the same location.

fatcat69
02-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Nice, cheers :)

You should compile everything in this thread and make a tutorial. This is invaluable to new linux users.

Let me know if you need any linux help.

Thats the plan, i just need to figure it out first ><

When you create a new user without the -d syntax, the default home is /home/username. This is the user you should be using for everything (running utorrent & ftp), not root. utorrent will save data to /home/username by default, and ftp login will also start in the same location.

Well I did that df command you did up there, and /home is where all my space is, so I set utorrent to download directly to there.

When I login via ftp with the account I just made (not the root), I get defaulted to:

/root

to get to home, i type
/home

also, I just noticed that when I disable the root from accessing via ftp, all the other accounts wont work either.

When I allow root to access via ftp....all the accounts work

Any ideas on whats causing that?

SgtMajor
02-27-2008, 08:01 PM
I changed the default dir where anon logs in:

anon_root=/data/directory

to

anon_root=/home

Now, when I log in to ftp stuff as a user, it defaults to

/home/user

and all I have to do is click the up directory button, works for me :)

fatcat69
02-27-2008, 08:47 PM
I changed the default dir where anon logs in:

anon_root=/data/directory

to

anon_root=/home

Now, when I log in to ftp stuff as a user, it defaults to

/home/user

and all I have to do is click the up directory button, works for me :)

Lucky! lol

naq and me have been playing with my box for about 2 hours trying to figure out why users cant log on but root can via vsftpd
:pinch:

We think its...selinux.

but im done messing with it...for now :frusty:

SgtMajor
02-27-2008, 08:56 PM
naq and me have been playing with my box for about 2 hours

:O

filonome
02-27-2008, 09:23 PM
ahhh man you're so lucky, how did you get that offer?

fatcat69
02-27-2008, 09:45 PM
naq and me have been playing with my box for about 2 hours

:O

ya he looked at it for about an hour on his own and we have come to the conclusion that its lame and centos would have been a better linux to start with lol :lol:

But its working nicely...I just cant make ftp accounts work to the fullest...yet.

Wormtail
02-27-2008, 11:49 PM
I have a doubt remaining. can we run torrents on the seedbox safely ?

fatcat69
02-27-2008, 11:52 PM
I have a doubt remaining. can we run torrents on the seedbox safely ?

lol

it might have helped to use a different nick in their forum :lol:

but be paranoid all you want, while I enjoy using mine to seed linux distros...

(righttttt)

barakokula
02-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Well,after a whole day of torment,i finally did it. Never seen the blasted linux thing before,but now my fedora box is ready for action. :D

Thx to Sgt,naq,fisherman,fatcat and the rest of you guys. :cheers:

Just have one question...what ports do i have to leave open for torrenting? Just one random one i choose or do i have to leave 80,81 or some other for trackers to work?
I was thinking of blocking everything except one for ssh,one for ftp and one for utorrent. Is that ok?

How-to(what do i have to write in putty/iptables) do it,would be greatly appreciated.
My eyes will popout if i read one more tutorial. :D

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Well,after a whole day of torment,i finally did it. Never seen the blasted linux thing before,but now my fedora box is ready for action. :D

Thx to Sgt,naq,fisherman,fatcat and the rest of you guys. :cheers:

Just have one question...what ports do i have to leave open for torrenting? Just one random one i choose or do i have to leave 80,81 or some other for trackers to work?
I was thinking of blocking everything except one for ssh,one for ftp and one for utorrent. Is that ok?

How-to(what do i have to write in putty) do it,would be greatly appreciated.
My eyes will popout if i read one more tutorial. :D

You can do that to block your ports, thats fine.

I recommend switching your port for ssh:

nano etc/ssh/sshd_config

Uncomment the port part where you see it say port 22, remove the 22 and make it some random number. Just better that way.

Same with FTP, use some random port number, make sure you have it set up on ssl...

http://wiki.vpslink.com/index.php?title=Configuring_vsftpd_for_secure_connections_(TLS/SSL/SFTP (http://wiki.vpslink.com/index.php?title=Configuring_vsftpd_for_secure_connections_%28TLS/SSL/SFTP))

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch15_:_Linux_FTP_Server_Setup

and thats as far as I have gotten really in the past day. Set up utorrent, webui, ftp, vnc, fluxbox, and just enjoying it for now.

I also recommend changing the password for the root access if you havent disabled it.
type:

passwd root

and enter in new password

right now naq and me are setting up a more appropriate tutorial with screenshots and what not, well he started it, im just helping.

not bad for 1 day of linux huh ;-)

o_O
02-28-2008, 12:11 AM

try torrentflux b4rt then ;)

barakokula
02-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Great,thx for the speedy reply.

I've done all of that,changed default ports,removed root ....all of the things mentioned on this thread. All i have to now is close everything and leave those 3 ports open. But i must rest first. :D

edit: ok ,seems i have a problem. when i close vnc viever on my computer utorrent on wine also closes.

Also, when i type in 'wine utorrent' i get missing file error and i have to go to putty again and do wget . Although the utorrent.exe is on the seedbox(i see it through ftp,it's in /home).

Very strange,dunno what to do,what am i doing wrong.

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 02:48 AM

I've done all of that,changed default ports,removed root ....all of the things mentioned on this thread. All i have to now is close everything and leave those 3 ports open. But i must rest first. :D

edit: ok ,seems i have a problem. when i close vnc viever on my computer utorrent on wine also closes.

Also, when i type in 'wine utorrent' i get missing file error and i have to go to putty again and do wget . Although the utorrent.exe is on the seedbox(i see it through ftp,it's in /home).

wine utorrent looks in your system32 folder, it should show where it is looking, what you do is log in via ssh ftp, copy the utorrent.exe in your program files and put the copy in that system 32 file. I had the same issue, then it should start fine. (it might bring up a bunch of text prior to starting, Im still trying to figure out what causes that, but utorrent seems to be working fine, so if it aint broken dont fix it attitude here lol

Not sure about the other error, make sure you just x out vnc window, and do not close windows within vnc.

naq
02-28-2008, 03:25 AM

wine utorrent looks in your system32 folder, it should show where it is looking, what you do is log in via ssh ftp, copy the utorrent.exe in your program files and put the copy in that system 32 file. I had the same issue, then it should start fine. (it might bring up a bunch of text prior to starting, Im still trying to figure out what causes that, but utorrent seems to be working fine, so if it aint broken dont fix it attitude here lol

Not sure about the other error, make sure you just x out vnc window, and do not close windows within vnc.

If you say no when utorrent first start (the option to install it), the utorrent.exe will remain in your home folder forever. :)

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 04:03 AM

If you say no when utorrent first start (the option to install it), the utorrent.exe will remain in your home folder forever. :)

Aahh, right, I had to keep loading up MC & navigating to the utorrent folder and double clicking.

See - learn something new every day :)

cheers,

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 05:53 AM
I am also on ovh fedora and followed the leeware guide to install and run the utorrent but i am running out of space (its default by utorrent) so i think i need to change the default storing location but i have no idea how to do it as i dont use linux. So can please anyone help me step by step for it. I am using TightVnc and putty if it helps. Thanks

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 06:05 AM
in utorrent, change your downloads location to:

/home

that will sort you out.

hehe, me offering nix advice :lol:

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 06:35 AM
thanks SgtMajor, it appears the problem is solved
and what else have you done beside all this simple installation that helped you with your box, can you share.
Thanks again for the help

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Read this whole thread, yes - all the way through! both fatcat & myself went through all the teething problems, when you find something that you would like to attempt, or you think you could need, and you are not sure what it is & why, then ask the questions.

What suits me, or fatcat, may not necessarily suit you.

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Read this whole thread, yes - all the way through! both fatcat & myself went through all the teething problems, when you find something that you would like to attempt, or you think you could need, and you are not sure what it is & why, then ask the questions.

What suits me, or fatcat, may not necessarily suit you.

ya you might be lucky with ftp install like Sgt was, or you might have a mysterious problem that noone on the planet can figure out ...until naq comes along and saves the day.

He is putting together a full guide for pretty much every distro atm. I think all my questioning caused him to get off his lazy butt and do it :P

I have read what he has so far and pretty much it is basically what this whole thread has in it, except condensed very nicely for different distros. I am looking forward to the next copy he sends me to linux noob test before posting here! :lol:

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 06:51 AM
ok i am reading it now. just to inform you, i simultaneously downloaded two good seeded files from TL and my speeds were mostly in the range of 8-10.5 mbps. Yet to look for upload speeds though which is heavily leeched. What abt your speeds.

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 06:54 AM
ok i am reading it now. just to inform you, i simultaneously downloaded two good seeded files from TL and my speeds were mostly in the range of 8-10.5 mbps. Yet to look for upload speeds though which is heavily leeched. What abt your speeds.

Ive been uploading at about 9mb/s steady for most of the day.

(its bc the files are pretty large...)

This cheapo box is destroying my vectoral seedbox...like brutally murdering it. :lol:

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 07:23 AM
hey i am not getting upload speed at all, its just 50kbps which the file is well leeched,any help

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Are you still downloading?

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 07:36 AM
i have started d/w a torrent from TL of abt 13 gb, with good number of leechers. Now its 40% done but upload speed is just 10 kbps.seems something wrong
The torrent is named ultimate movie pack, u can check

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 07:39 AM
You will have to wait till it is finished, the HD cannot up & down that fast.

2 options, wait till it is finished and then watch it seed like crazy.

Reduce your down speed incrementally to get the best combo between up/down that you want.

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 07:42 AM
oh its means we have total of 100 mbit. i got the point, i am d/w constantly at 10.5-11. Actually at home i am on adsl so got mixed up as i get same upl0oad and d/w speed. Lets wait to see the upload

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 07:46 AM
If you have a £100+ pm box and 15k SCSI drives, then you will get up & down ultra fast.

We have to remember what these are :)

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Its abt 5 mins since i finished the d/w and now its uploading at abt 400 kbps though there are only 27 seeders and 168 leechers. Now do i need to change some settings

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Its abt 5 mins since i finished the d/w and now its uploading at abt 400 kbps though there are only 27 seeders and 168 leechers. Now do i need to change some settings

You can try to adjust your peer setting in utorrent.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1948/btsettingscf2.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/884/overloadif6.jpg

For the cache, it depends on your ram in your box, for these little ovh, i do 150 (the above pic was for a box with 1gb mem.)

All these files are over 8 hours old:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6255/speedovh1jx3.jpg

Im at about 1TB of traffic in 2 days lol

Here is one showing the download speed of the torrent, then the upload speed of it. I stopped all but two torrents to show upload speed between two, then just that one alone, when Downloading, I was the only leecher besides some guy with a 80kb/s download speed from what I could see in the peer. Once I finished and put on another tracker...shaazam:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7761/speedovh2vb9.jpg

And here it is a few minutes later to show that its constant and not peak.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7487/speedovh3qz4.jpg

Wormtail
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm getting about 10mb/s down and 2 or 3 mb/s up. I'm uploading on ScT and BitMeTv

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm getting about 10mb/s down and 2 or 3 mb/s up. I'm uploading on ScT and BitMeTv

Remember while your downloading, your up wont be so hot due to hardware holding ya back...so once you finish downloading youll cruise.:D

Wormtail
02-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Yes, i'm uploaded 6gb on ScT till yesterday on 1 dvdr ( i know its not much but helps ). On BitMeTv is really really hard to see because i'm not here when the TV-series are released

Actatoi
02-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Heya

I installed fluxbox, removed everything in the startup file and then restarted vncserver and logged in. I see fluxbox, but nothing else. No box to write anything in or nothing. So how do I do now to start utorrent?

Going to the gym now will be back tonight trying to get this to run, linux is hard haha.

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Heya

I installed fluxbox, removed everything in the startup file and then restarted vncserver and logged in. I see fluxbox, but nothing else. No box to write anything in or nothing. So how do I do now to start utorrent?

Going to the gym now will be back tonight trying to get this to run, linux is hard haha.

Ah ok right click on the desktop, and then click
xterm

Thats your terminal, now type

"wine utorrent"

if it starts...awesome...if it doesnt and brings up an error thats something like: cant find in specified folder system32.....

log into your server from ftp, go to root, wine, c drive, program files, utorrent, and copy the utorrent.exe to the folder that was displayed in the error
"wine utorrent" in the terminal again, and it should start utorrent

read through the thread for the webui set up steps.

remember, when you upload the webui.zip you leave it in the .zip and you put it in application data folder...NOT program files folder

DownShift
02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
hey can anyone help me wine command isnt working on cent os. can anyone help me??
wine utorrent.exe is not being recognised it says wine unrecognised command pls help fast!!!!!!!

fisherman
02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
hey can anyone help me wine command isnt working on cent os. can anyone help me??
wine utorrent.exe is not being recognised it says wine unrecognised command pls help fast!!!!!!!

Are u sure wine is installed on ur server?

DownShift
02-28-2008, 04:03 PM
i did tat it dint work :(

fisherman
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
i did tat it dint work :(

Ok so you definitely HAVE xterm wine vnc-server installed on your server yes?

Once I know this for sure we can take it from there.

DownShift
02-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Well i m chnaging my os to fedora now

fisherman
02-28-2008, 04:12 PM
The commands for Centos and Fedora are the same so just follow this guide>> http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-installing-utorrent-leeware-walkthrough-169620

And also read back from the start of this thread.

Good luck

Hrvoje
02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
it is much much easier to seed on bitmetv than in sct for me

but box is uber great and it's free. can't be any better than that :D

<3 it

dieudesorcs
02-28-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm also one of the lucky one with that free seedbox, and i'm trying to set it up.

I haven't any problems for the beginning (update, adduser, disable root, disable ssh keys, windows manager, wine and utorrent, ...)

But i'm having trouble to encrypt a partition. Truecrypt isn't working, and cryptsetup give me this error:

Check kernel for support for the aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 cipher spec and verify that /dev/sda2 contains at least 133 sectors.
Failed to write to key storage.

I'm with fedora, and i tried a lot of thing during the past two days (5 or 6 reinstallations ^^) and during my search i think i find some explanation : the fedora kernel of OVH isn't modular and that's why i got this error.

I'm not sure it's really that, so if any one now how to do this (even with another software) feel free to explain it to me ^^

VIZFX
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
fatcat69, when you get chance, it would be great if you could put together a setup guide for fedora like you did for windows. Your windows seedbox setup rocks, so I know you could do the same for fedora seedbox setup for complete beginners. Thanks!

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 05:50 PM
solved my problem myself

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
fatcat69, when you get chance, it would be great if you could put together a setup guide for fedora like you did for windows. Your windows seedbox setup rocks, so I know you could do the same for fedora seedbox setup for complete beginners. Thanks!

Im assisting another user in making one, he has all the knowledge, I just review and do simple edits and add screenshots here and there.:lol:

Should be done by the end of the weekend...its pretty hefty.

VIZFX
02-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Awesome, thanks fatcat.

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 06:37 PM
when i try to transfer file from server to my home pc through cuteftp (trial version) my speeds are only 25kbps while my home connection can easily handle 50 kbps. I also tried winscp with same result. any help for this

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
when i try to transfer file from server to my home pc through cuteftp (trial version) my speeds are only 25kbps while my home connection can easily handle 50 kbps. I also tried winscp with same result. any help for this

Using cuteftp, set it to do a multipart transfer like in my guide in my signature
then it will max out.

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 07:18 PM
& increase the connections to =

30k per connection
x your max bandwidth

then double it for latency & redundancy

so in your case 4 connections.

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 07:52 PM
do i need to install at server side also

mummysboy
02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.tutorial5.com/content/view/146/51/

^^^Follow that guide :o ^^^
On the kimi boxers change the video driver from "VMware" to "sis" [will become apparent during the guide

Before you get all excited you need to change the boot mode to 5

type :# init 5 [ENTER] - this allows "home user mode"

BUT ITS NOT Permanent

So you need to change the etc/inittd to 5 too

Job done :D
This will allow you a shiny new GUI using KDE and VNC

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
ok trying it now. I have six torrents running in webui but now when i try to add more torrents its not happeing. new torrent doesnt appear at all.
Also i am using 8080 as my port in utorrent, should i change it

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 08:06 PM
do i need to install at server side also

Yes, read this thread all the way through, then you wouldn't have had to ask that question.

Look for vsftpd.

naq
02-28-2008, 08:15 PM
ok trying it now. I have six torrents running in webui but now when i try to add more torrents its not happeing. new torrent doesnt appear at all.
Also i am using 8080 as my port in utorrent, should i change it

I suspect you can't add more torrents because you ran out of HD space. Set uTorrent to save to /home, which is where most of the HD space (about 140GB) is located.

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 08:23 PM
its pointed at /home and torrents isnt showing disk error

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 08:25 PM
its pointed at /home and torrents isnt showing disk error

Did you move the old torrents from before you changed the download directory?

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 08:32 PM
ya i started downloading after changing the path only after clearing the old downloads and setting the new path. I am clearing some space to see if space is a problem

how do i check how much space is left

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 08:44 PM
http://www.go2linux.org/df-linux-command-line-disk-free

df -h

is normal quick option

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 08:53 PM
result is this when i run the command

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 2.9G 2.9G 0 100% /
/dev/sda2 144G 36G 101G 26% /home
/dev/shm 105M 0 105M 0% /dev/shm

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 09:02 PM
result is this when i run the command

/dev/sda2 144G 36G 101G 26% /home

I bet you still have them torrents in your old location, otherwise why else would you have 0% left?

jazzyjazzy
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
if you say so, where are they stored by default, tell me the path and will try it out.

PS : you guys are really helping me out, thanks

Actatoi
02-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the help here people, but when I try to setup vsftpd and putting rsa_cert_file=/root/vsftpd.pem in the config and then try to start the program I get error and it says it cannot load the rsa certificate. And the .pem file is there I've checked.

Help please? :)

mr.Dman
02-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Quick question should I go with Fedora 6 or are you guys using an older one.
I'm all fixed up now at hosting-Ie Max emailed me so now I'm going to upgrade to a dedi 581.
Thanks

Actatoi
02-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Quick question should I go with Fedora 6 or are you guys using an older one.
I'm all fixed up now at hosting-Ie Max emailed me so now I'm going to upgrade to a dedi 581.
Thanks

Almost everyone in this thread use fedora 6. So go with that.

naq
02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
if you say so, where are they stored by default, tell me the path and will try it out.

PS : you guys are really helping me out, thanks

From your df output, sda1 is maxed out, this might prevent utorrent from working (saving torrent files). Check /root/.local/share/Trash, your deleted files might went there when you delete them.

Make sure you change gui.delete_to_trash to False in uTorrent Advanced Preferences.

Thanks for the help here people, but when I try to setup vsftpd and putting rsa_cert_file=/root/vsftpd.pem in the config and then try to start the program I get error and it says it cannot load the rsa certificate. And the .pem file is there I've checked.

Help please? :)

Did you generate this cert? Only reason I can think of... Try again:

# openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout /root/vsftpd.pem -out /root/vsftpd.pem

Wormtail
02-28-2008, 10:37 PM
For now, i'm really enjoying the seedbox. Although i think that Upload is slow ( max 4mb/s

naq
02-28-2008, 11:25 PM
My experience messing with uTorrent on the kimsufi, don't change the Disk Cache setting, leave it at default. Forcing higher cache at 150MB seems to screw things up when uTorrent uses up all the memory. Don't have too many active downloads. If you get disk overloaded warnings, limit the download rate to around 5MB/s.

Wormtail
02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm getting disk overloaded many times too. It would be good to have a 1GB Ram box :)

mamacita
02-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't come close to the upload speeds you guys say you get. I can't seem to connect to half as many peers as I should.

naq
02-29-2008, 12:42 AM
My guide is up for those needing help. It's incomplete, but most of the important stuff is there.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331

Actatoi
02-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the help naq, and awesome work you and fatcat have made on the guide. Big up to you!

I got the vsftpd working, but havn't bothered tried loggin in yet.

fatcat69
02-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the help naq, and awesome work you and fatcat have made on the guide. Big up to you!

I got the vsftpd working, but havn't bothered tried loggin in yet.

Na all the credit goes to naq, I just noob tested it thats all. :lol:

Wormtail
02-29-2008, 10:41 AM
naq, you settep up the server to me, you just rulle !!!

I enjoying this. My Pisexy acc has 100GB Buffer now :)

DownShift
02-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Well anyone can help me fast??
i have setup ovh server Fedora os
my torrent on totally rnt dwnloading above 1.8gb. it shows error if 1.8gb of hdd is used. Pls help me as fast as u can pls

df -hl
/dev/sda2 144G 33M 137G 1% /home

i get this help me pls :cry:

jazzyjazzy
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
change ur torrent saving directory to /root
and clear trash on your server

DownShift
02-29-2008, 03:48 PM
how to clear trash??

fatcat69
02-29-2008, 07:07 PM
change ur torrent saving directory to /root
and clear trash on your server

Actually its /home

Wormtail
02-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah, mine is home. I got today about 4mb/s of upload constantly. Advice : Limit ur download speed to dont get disk overloaded

fatcat69
03-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, mine is home. I got today about 4mb/s of upload constantly. Advice : Limit ur download speed to dont get disk overloaded

Hmm the only thing i got disk overload on was 38GB at about the 29gb mark or so after downloading at 11mb/s the whole time.

havent had any issues really outside of that.:lol:

I think i might have the lucky hard drive or something :whistling

JALZOO
03-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I no that kimsufi are free for 12 months but there is no way in hell they are good enough to use for a seedbox weather you are using rtorrent or not.. you just havent got the performance..
I recently brought a kimsufi dedicated from ovh and i tried various OS's and torrent clients.. the max upload i reached using rtorrent was just over 3mb/s but as the download climbed the upload would fall.
I decided to go with 100M L+ and the performance is so much better.. I tested on a public tracker and i was getting 10-11mb/s almost constant.. I also get the full 10-11mb/s downloading when not uploading excesivly. I really would reccomend this for all you upload0rs and seed0rs.. i mean common 24 quid more gets you 750GB HDD Dualcore 2x 2.00Ghz 1GB DDR.. and setup was about 15 mins.. So OVH all good for me now =)

Speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/240829043.png

JALZOO
03-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Ditch kimsufi there rubbish i had one before not good enough for a seedbox performance.. I was using rtorrent and not getting much more than 3mb/s uploading the faster the download became the slower the upload was. I brought a 100M L+ Cant go rong for 24 quid more 1GB ram 750GB HDD Duel Core 2x 2.00GHz Now im getting between 10-11Mb/s upload and the same 10-11mb/s on download when im not uploading heavily using ubuntu desktop.

Speedtest of new server i recieved yesterday:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/240829043.png

dythim
03-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Use /home

Coltarado
03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I have a question , OVH can only be purchased by European countries? isnt there another way to order them

mummysboy
03-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Method 1

To get a Linux Desktop Using Fedora Core 6 [Sexy GUI]
On this guide all commands are case sensitive]

Use putty to login to the server.

Type:
yum groupinstall "X Window System"
Then allow the transaction list to populate - allow the server to download and install then...
Type:
yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
Then allow the transaction list to populate - allow the server to download and install

Now the Fun Bits :S

Type:
nano /etc/sysconfig/vncservers

change VNCSERVERS="id:username" [ i use 5:root]
and ammend VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry <desired_resolution> -nolisten tcp -nohttpd -localhost" [again i used 800x600]

press [CTRL]&X then say y to save it.
then type :
vncpasswd
follow the on screen prompt and choose your password :D

Now The tricky bit no1
Type:
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You need to make that file look like this one:

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "glx"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "dri"
Load "vnc"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "sis"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen"
Device "VideoCard0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
Modes "640x480"
EndSubSection
Option "SecurityTypes" "VncAuth"
Option "UserPasswdVerifier" "VncAuth"
Option "PasswordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection
Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

Then:

nano /etc/inittab

Amend line to read:

id:5:initdefault:

Press [CTRL]&X and say "Y" to save changes

Then type

# init 5
# startx

Now you can logon to the server with VNC Viewer and it be {almost} like windows :D

Now just install rtorrent [the linux equivlant of utorrent] job done

Method 2

Connect via putty
type nano install.sh [this opens a text editor]
paste this:

#!/bin/sh

# Install crap (php, httpd, mysql)
echo "Running yum to install some programs... Might take a while"
yum install httpd gcc yum php pwgen php-devel php-gd php-imap php-ldap php-mysql php-odbc php-pear php-xml php-xmlrpc curl curl-devel perl-libwww-perl imagemagick libxml2 libxml2-devel mysql mysql-server xinetd transmission uudeview

echo "Yum Done"

# Start Mysql
/etc/init.d/mysqld start > /dev/null

# Stop Iptables
/etc/init.d/iptables stop

/etc/init.d/xinetd start

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

# GlFtpd
echo "Going to install GLFTP"
cd ~root > /dev/null
mkdir installs > /dev/null
cd ~root/installs > /dev/null
wget http://www.glftpd.com/files/glftpd-LNX_2.01.tgz > /dev/null
tar xfz glftpd-LNX_2.01.tgz > /dev/null
cd ~root/installs/glftpd-LNX_2.01 > /dev/null
./installgl.sh

# Torrentflux
echo "Going to install torrentflux"
cd ~root/installs > /dev/null
wget http://www.torrentflux.com/torrentflux_2.3.tar.gz > /dev/null
tar xfz torrentflux_2.3.tar.gz > /dev/null
cd ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3 > /dev/null

mysqladmin create torrentflux > /dev/null
mysql torrentflux < ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3/sql/mysql_torrentflux.sql > /dev/null

# Generate a password for sql user
PASS=`pwgen -c -n -s 15 1`

echo "<?php" >> ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3/html/config.php
echo '$cfg["db_type"] = "mysql";' >> ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3/html/config.php
echo '$cfg["db_host"] = "localhost";' >> ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3/html/config.php
echo '$cfg["db_name"] = "torrentflux";' >> ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3/html/config.php
echo '$cfg["db_user"] = "root";' >> ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3/html/config.php
echo '$cfg["db_pass"] = "'passw0rd'";' >> ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3/html/config.php
echo '?>' >> ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3/html/config.php

mkdir /var/www/html/torrentflux
cp -r ~root/installs/torrentflux_2.3/html/* /var/www/html/torrentflux
chmod 777 /var/www/html/torrentflux/downloads/

# Set the mysql password to the first argument
mysqladmin -u root password passw0rd > /dev/null

# Restart mysql
echo "Restarting MySQL"
/etc/init.d/mysqld restart

# Restart xinetd
echo "Restarting Xinetd"
/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

Then press CTRL & X
Save it :D
then type:
chmod 777 install.sh
then type:
./install.sh
Now you should have Flux :o and FTP :o

BUT

The kimi installs a pathetic amount to the home folder soooooooo

Dont forget to change your download location via the admin page on flux

Not had a problem yet with my little kimi

Hope this helps someone :D

Also - Sarge - you went for the wine option - how is working out for you bud?

koliber2
03-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi, Help! i try order new server via ovh.fr/ovh.co.uk and when i insert my nickhandle+pass i receive this:
The billing country for your order doesn't correspond to the country of your customer account.

i come from PL. I dont want order box via ovh.pl becouse they have stupid rules.. any idea?;)

nbo
03-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Ok so i have a question, ive read this whole thread, tried some trix and yet i cant get past 60kbs upload!!! sometimes for an hour or 2 ill see close to 1mb but thats all, download speed is usually fine, i tried limiting it, played around with the cache but nothing seems to work.
ok, yes im running it on a windows 2003 server and as much as it sux, thats an excuse perhaps to get poor performances but not like the ones i get.
so what do i do (please dont say switch to linux, that is not an option for me ).

fatcat69
03-05-2008, 04:03 AM
Hi, Help! i try order new server via ovh.fr/ovh.co.uk and when i insert my nickhandle+pass i receive this:
The billing country for your order doesn't correspond to the country of your customer account.

i come from PL. I dont want order box via ovh.pl becouse they have stupid rules.. any idea?;)

You dont have a choice.

I know people who have boxes from ovh.pl and have no issues at all :happy:

Ok so i have a question, ive read this whole thread, tried some trix and yet i cant get past 60kbs upload!!! sometimes for an hour or 2 ill see close to 1mb but thats all, download speed is usually fine, i tried limiting it, played around with the cache but nothing seems to work.
ok, yes im running it on a windows 2003 server and as much as it sux, thats an excuse perhaps to get poor performances but not like the ones i get.
so what do i do (please dont say switch to linux, that is not an option for me ).

Well, first make sure its not the following:

A. On your main seedbox sites (ScT and SCC) you will only see 1mb/s or higher for maybe a minute on tv shows, maybe 4-10minutes on movies etc etc. If you are grabbing the torrents way after pre...there are probably too many seeders already and you wont get faster. So try a site that doesnt have many seedboxes and lots of users (revtt and TL are best places to see) and just download a popular movie right after it is pre'd and see what speed you get there.

B. Have you verified all the settings are correct? IE, you have a good open port, torrents are all active. etc etc

C. Disk ovrerload might be screwing with you...check to see.

D. Seeding too many torrents? Try just seeding 1 torrent that you downloaded right after it pre'd to see what speeds you get. Too many torrents can mess with speeds.

If its not the above, then you might have an hardware issue.

Who is your provider, and what box do you have with them?

nbo
03-05-2008, 04:16 AM
hey thanks for the response

A- ive tested all sites...
B- i think so, i dont know what a "good" port is, how do i check?
i figured if its running is opened...
C- ive changed it from 150 and down to 30, didnt seem to change a thing.
D- tried 1, and 2 and 3 and more...:\

I have the kimisurf of course...
thanks

SgtMajor
03-05-2008, 04:18 AM
BUT

The kimi installs a pathetic amount to the home folder soooooooo

Dont forget to change your download location via the admin page on flux

Not had a problem yet with my little kimi

Hope this helps someone :D

Also - Sarge - you went for the wine option - how is working out for you bud?

Wine & utorrent webui works for me, I even got the free FTP client FileZilla to max out to my home connection and to my other seedbox, and seeing it fly at 11MB/S to Hosting.ie rocks :D

I might even give up my precious hosting.ie for another OVH product. this time paid for! :)

thanks

Windows or nix box?

fatcat69
03-05-2008, 04:21 AM

thanks

To check, you can just go through utorrents speed guide thing, and it says test port...but it is probably open.

My guess is that either you got bad hardware...or you are trying to seed junk. its a little late to hit prime time...but id say if you grab ...for example...lost right after it pre's and you atleast dont get a 3-5 ratio on it...then its hardware related.

Might be that 256 ram just isnt enough for torrenting on windows..thats why i learned nix for this freebie.

nbo
03-05-2008, 05:10 AM
ya, ports are ok, i actually grabbed a lost last week 4 minutes after it came out.
ended up with 350MB dl and 1.1GB upload after 4 days of slooooow ul speed that my home connection can beat...
i realize that the 256mb sux with windows but utorrent does not take up that much memory, and even when i try 1 torrent from TL which is new and has 1 seeder and 37 leechers i should still get at least a megabite and not the puny 12kps that i get...

fatcat69
03-05-2008, 07:25 AM
ya, ports are ok, i actually grabbed a lost last week 4 minutes after it came out.
ended up with 350MB dl and 1.1GB upload after 4 days of slooooow ul speed that my home connection can beat...
i realize that the 256mb sux with windows but utorrent does not take up that much memory, and even when i try 1 torrent from TL which is new and has 1 seeder and 37 leechers i should still get at least a megabite and not the puny 12kps that i get...

hmm idk man, i know for a fact that utorrent does take up memory when downloading fast due to hard drive not keeping up with it...

I have never seen a box go that crappy...

how are your ftp speeds?

nbo
03-05-2008, 01:25 PM
a neither have i, my home connection dounbles the speed of my box:P
though i am now getting a whooping 250kbs ("wow").
hmm i dont know how to install ftp on windows...

jam0980tr
03-05-2008, 02:52 PM
hmm i dont know how to install ftp on windows...

just use Cerberus FTP Server it's easy to set up ;)
http://www.cerberusftp.com/

Cerberus FTP Tutorial
http://minitutorials.com/apache/cerberus_1.shtml

nbo
03-06-2008, 01:49 AM
thanks!
(woo hoo, now my DL speed is on 20kbs and im downloading from ftn...)

naq
03-06-2008, 02:05 AM
nbo, you see the disk overloaded error on the bottom of utorrent often? Have you run a speedtest to make sure the problem is only with utorrent?

My advice: leave disk cache settings at default, then restart utorrent. See if that fix your speed issue. If it does, in the future, just limit the download speed when you see disk overloaded errors.

Rumblin
03-06-2008, 04:01 AM
just us an uk addy ;-), lfc4ever is luckyboy, lol tags?, lucky to be european, major on top lol, sarge you lucky bastard, unlucky for everyone else some weird ass tags

nbo
03-06-2008, 04:14 AM
nope, never got a disk overloaded error b4.
ran speed tests and they suk, dl is about 2-3mb, ul is 1.5 perhaps

mamacita
03-06-2008, 06:16 AM
I've got everything working very smoothly on my server...except for the FTP side.

Whenever I try to download something to my computer via FTP, I get abysmal speeds. It takes almost half an hour to get a 200mb file off my server onto my computer.

Any suggestions or ideas?

My home connection is around 7mbs down.

I followed naq's guide. I tried using FileZilla like FatCat suggests, but I can't get it to work. The program starts fine, but it never connects to the server.

Actatoi
03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Hey again, I got everything set up with and working good, but with root. And by that I'm running into problems with the ftp, ye. Can I in an easy way create another user now and start using that to run utorrent and shit but not loosing any options that I got atm. I think if I create another user now, the directorys will be wrong and utorrent won't be installed etc?

I hope you understand what I mean.

naq
03-08-2008, 03:21 PM
You won't lose anything under root. The home directory for the new user will be /home/username, so all files for the new user will be in there. Look at my guide from section 4 - 6 to create a new user. If you want to stop using root, you can move the files into /home/username using "mv", then type this to change permission:
# chown -R username:username /home/username
Then just reload the torrents in the new utorrent under the new user.

Actatoi
03-08-2008, 03:50 PM
useradd: unknown GID 100
useradd: invalid numeric argument 'users'

Is what I get when I type: useradd -G users -m username. What's causing this?

naq
03-08-2008, 03:52 PM
I guess you don't have the users group, just type "useradd -m username" is fine.

Actatoi
03-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Alright, so far so good. Should I do anything about the old utorrent laying installed with the root user? And how if that's the case?

naq
03-08-2008, 05:05 PM
If you don't plan on using utorrent under root again, you can delete the utorrent.exe and the wine folder. Do this as root:
# rm -Rf ~/utorrent.exe ~/.wine/

Actatoi
03-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks mate :)

SgtMajor
03-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Question for you naq.

If /you/ were going to get a nix seedbox from OVJH, or wherever, what would be your choice of install?

I might start all over again :)

thanks

naq
03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
My personal choice is Gentoo (OVH has it). If you like tinkering with your server, get it :). Beware that the package management system for it (called "emerge") downloads the source codes instead of the binaries to compile it specifically for your server. So installing a piece of software will take much longer than the simple download and extract methods of "yum" and "apt". Of the 4 main distros available, I don't have any preferences. My guide has instructions for them all. But if I must choose, which I just did as I'm getting a new server, it's Debian.

jam0980tr
03-08-2008, 11:42 PM
My personal choice is Gentoo (OVH has it). If you like tinkering with your server, get it :). Beware that the package management system for it (called "emerge") downloads the source codes instead of the binaries to compile it specifically for your server. So installing a piece of software will take much longer than the simple download and extract methods of "yum" and "apt". Of the 4 main distros available, I don't have any preferences. My guide has instructions for them all. But if I must choose, which I just did as I'm getting a new server, it's Debian.

Debian is the best and Rtorrent hey naq i see you downloading 2.37mb sec off me, @ one of my upload At the new Home ;) thats on the 1Gbp NL boxs and OVH seedboxs i have got Debian sage running smooth