PDA

View Full Version : SCT's ratio system is severely flawed.

Femto
02-24-2008, 03:52 PM
SCT's system is flawed.

1. You can seed 40 torrents for a month but if your ratio doesn't go above 1.0, you get disabled.

So your only option is to donate, which is retarded. Just because you seeded torrents nobody is on doesn't make you a bad user. Since they have a low ratio automatic warning in place, all they want is money. The system would make sense if it had 100,000 members but since only 19,000 members are on the site, obtaining a positive ratio is extremely difficult.

2. Almost everyone owns a seedbox and overseeds.

This is the other flawed aspect on SCT. This makes the "good user" with the average connection speed who doesn't want to spend money on free scene releases impossible to reach a positive ratio. Yes, it makes your downloads faster but speed isn't the issue if you highly reinforce the ratio system. If speed was a problem, I highly doubt Demonoid would have been popular.

Hopping on popular torrents doesn't help out one bit. I hate it when the mods tell you to get something you don't want. That's ridiculous. You should get what you want and WHEN YOU WANT IT. When I first started out, I had to get a ridiculous movie pack just to survive. Sorry, when I sign up to a torrent site I come for the torrents I want, not the torrents I don't need just to stay alive on the site.

3. 72 hour seeding rule is unreasonable if you don't have a seedbox or a blazing fast connection.

It doesn't matter how long you seed if you can't upload anything. This is not the user's fault, it is the site's fault. If you take a 4.40gb movie and seeded it to 72.80gb's, you just cheated out every good user out there. This is why ratio cheaters are created. In reality a guy who overseeds IS IN THE SAME EXACT LEAGUE AS A CHEATER. The overseeder cheated out every good user who had good intent to give a 1:1 ratio back. The cheater only cheated to stay alive on the site or he/she is a pure leecher.

A lot of different things comes to play when people don't reach the 72 hour seed period. For instance, a person can have a 40GB hdd and he could be nearing his limit. Something new comes out and he wants it, in order to get it, he has to delete several torrents his seeding. I see nothing wrong with that at all. With a limit of 20,000 users, 36 hours is a "much more reasonable" rule. Not too long and not too short. Most of the users on SCT can seed a DVDR file in 20 minutes or less so 72 hours can be the cause of overseeding but it's up to the user's discretion to stop the seeding once it reaches a 1:1 ratio.

It took me forever to become a power user, let alone an sct whore. I'm bringing this issue out because I see a lot of new users complaining in the forums and Mr. BB, just trashes the topic and (insert_here) tells you if your speed sucks, donate. :sick:

SCT follows Darwin's Theory, survival of the fittest only applies here. You either have a blazing fast connection or your rich. The bottom line, we torrent because its we want free stuff. A pirate's motto is to take what you want and give nothing back.

Donating to keep a site alive is misleading. A 70GB upload for $50? That may seem reasonable to the desperate eye but really, do they buy you your 500GB HDD's, 30 pack DVD-R's and pay your bills? :noes:

SCT can easily fix and improve upon this issue if they simply tried. If the staff is too busy working, they can pay their own server costs. :whistling

krunktastic
02-24-2008, 04:17 PM
SCT's system is flawed.

1. You can seed 40 torrents for a month but if your ratio doesn't go above 1.0, you get disabled.

So your only option is to donate, which is retarded. Just because you seeded torrents nobody is on doesn't make you a bad user. Since they have a low ratio automatic warning in place, all they want is money. The system would make sense if it had 100,000 members but since only 19,000 members are on the site, obtaining a positive ratio is extremely difficult.

This is the other flawed aspect on SCT. This makes the "good user" with the average connection speed who doesn't want to spend money on free scene releases impossible to reach a positive ratio. Yes, it makes your downloads faster but speed isn't the issue if you highly reinforce the ratio system. If speed was a problem, I highly doubt Demonoid would have been popular.

Hopping on popular torrents doesn't help out one bit. I hate it when the mods tell you to get something you don't want. That's ridiculous. You should get what you want and WHEN YOU WANT IT. When I first started out, I had to get a ridiculous movie pack just to survive. Sorry, when I sign up to a torrent site I come for the torrents I want, not the torrents I don't need just to stay alive on the site.

3. 72 hour seeding rule is unreasonable if you don't have a seedbox or a blazing fast connection.

It doesn't matter how long you seed if you can't upload anything. This is not the user's fault, it is the site's fault. If you take a 4.40gb movie and seeded it to 72.80gb's, you just cheated out every good user out there. This is why ratio cheaters are created. In reality a guy who overseeds IS IN THE SAME EXACT LEAGUE AS A CHEATER. The overseeder cheated out every good user who had good intent to give a 1:1 ratio back. The cheater only cheated to stay alive on the site or he/she is a pure leecher.

A lot of different things comes to play when people don't reach the 72 hour seed period. For instance, a person can have a 40GB hdd and he could be nearing his limit. Something new comes out and he wants it, in order to get it, he has to delete several torrents his seeding. I see nothing wrong with that at all. With a limit of 20,000 users, 36 hours is a "much more reasonable" rule. Not too long and not too short. Most of the users on SCT can seed a DVDR file in 20 minutes or less so 72 hours can be the cause of overseeding but it's up to the user's discretion to stop the seeding once it reaches a 1:1 ratio.

It took me forever to become a power user, let alone an sct whore. I'm bringing this issue out because I see a lot of new users complaining in the forums and Mr. BB, just trashes the topic and (insert_here) tells you if your speed sucks, donate. :sick:

SCT follows Darwin's Theory, survival of the fittest only applies here. You either have a blazing fast connection or your rich. The bottom line, we torrent because its we want free stuff. A pirate's motto is to take what you want and give nothing back.

Donating to keep a site alive is misleading. A 70GB upload for $50? That may seem reasonable to the desperate eye but really, do they buy you your 500GB HDD's, 30 pack DVD-R's and pay your bills? :noes:

SCT can easily fix and improve upon this issue if they simply tried. If the staff is too busy working, they can pay their own server costs. :whistling

In all fairness, I had over a 4.0 ratio (40GB UP) with just my 40kb/s connection. I downloaded TV shows and popular movies I wanted. The reality is, if you don't seed what people want you won't get a decent upload, so you have to make do and download popular torrents. It's like that on several others sites.

I want to add a note that although it may seem hard to seed because of the rules, complaining about it won't help you one bit. You might have a poor connection, so limit your download speed if you have to. I have a sandvined Comcast (was 10MB) 6MB connection that I have to use to seed every tracker I'm on. I am not glorifying myself but using my status as an example that although you may not make PU, you can still upload just fine without being disabled.

grimms
02-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I have a very slow connection. I recommend downloading some movie packs, popular movie files, and also some of the lowest seeded content. The key though is leaving the torrents seeded. Right now i'm seeding about 20 torrents at ScT. I been seeding them since December. You really have to just wait it out. Seed until it dies or you have a ratio over 1:1. It's tough I know, but it is more then doable. Also do some partial seeding as well.

dragos
02-24-2008, 04:28 PM
A pirate's motto is to take what you want and give nothing back.

your entire post consists of pure stupid, but this reply is just ... beyond stupid. You should just turn off your pc and go to school or smth

dunson
02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Isn't this similar to most private trackers? What about SCTs system is flawed?

seppypom
02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
maybe leeching 40 torrents at once was not the way to go?

praveenpious
02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Interesting post...

wheeloftime
02-24-2008, 04:59 PM
The system would make sense if it had 100,000 members but since only 19,000 members are on the site, obtaining a positive ratio is extremely difficult.

So why not just use a site with more members that is easier to seed on?

F3n1x
02-24-2008, 05:01 PM
If you can't find a way to seed in Scenetorrents, use torrentleech or other easy seed site.
You need leech popular things from other places and after seed in scenetorrents.

e.g: yesterday the rambo.r5.repack.mvs

1000possibleclaws
02-24-2008, 05:21 PM
maybe if you have a slow internet connection than ScT is not for you mate. as above poster said, use TL or RevTT, because you don't care about speed. You care about peers who don't have seedboxes, and those 2 alternatives are the logical places to go for someone with your standards

fuck the tracker levels and go with what suits you best. if you're struggling to maintain ratio then Sct sounds like a hassle to have anyways

fsephie
02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
If you're all about the share, then go to ThePirateBay, bastion of the share.

EDIT: Also I've got a 10.4 ratio on a torrent right now KILLIN' ALL THE GOOD USERS.

bikernin
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
1) the ratio system was put in place to make sure everyone gives back what he takes and hence the torrent community survives. you have to be really stupid to download 40 torrents and then hope that seeding them for a month will get you a 1:1 ratio. download less, download as soon as it comes.
2) people pay a lot of money for a seedbox. after that it is unreasonable to expect a person with a seedbox to just seed 1:1 and then delete the torrent. the very reason people buy seedboxes is to build buffers or to become uploaders.
3) infact a 72 hour rule is good for people without seedboxes. seedboxes have limited hdd space anyway and after getting a 10:1 ratio within the first few hours they would want to delete the file. as for a person with slow connection, it would take that much time normally to reach a 1:1 ratio. that you have seeded for 72 hours means that you atleast tried to seed back even though you may have not been able to do so.

Bottomline is, if you have a slow connection, you dont really need a site like ScT unlees its an epenis thing. dosent make sense going to a site for 1 min pretimes and blazing fast 5 MB/s speeds on every torrent if your connection takes several hours to get a file. you can get everything elsewhere except the packs (which are also compilations you can put together on your own with a little effort)
In the end, if you cant keep up, its best you leave. noone is forcing you to pay and your life wont be shortened if you leave such a site. maybe your epenis will :P

FatBob
02-24-2008, 05:42 PM
if you use the site for scene releases which is available in plenty of sites , why even bother to use the hard to maintain sites like sct and waste your precious time ? why dont you get it from some other site which is much easier to seed ? :dabs:

fazzy07
02-24-2008, 05:54 PM
SCT's system is flawed.

The first reason you want to use ScT is because of the speed and that speed comes from seedboxes
The people who get seedbox get one for building huge buffer in short time as most people cant keep seedboxes for long time
Infact I only had for 1 month and overseeded like hell on ScT as I know how hard it can be
Now I dont have to worry about my ratio for almost a year
You cant stop people from overseeding as they are paying huge bucks for that
And if paying for seedbox goes against your ethics, well nothing in this world comes free of charge
As for paying to leech on ScT, thats stupid. You can share or get your own seedbox with that money and upload 10 times more

yayyyyyy
02-24-2008, 05:55 PM
go back to public torrent... and leave the seedwhores having fun...

wtf...

grimms
02-24-2008, 05:55 PM
TB may be more the site for you. Their content is almost just as good. Keyword "Almost" folks. Plus its free to sign up (No invites are required) They also have some very good movie packs like ScT.

lukee
02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
RevTT is an easy place to seed. :)

all really good scene torrent sites like ScT and SCC are hard to seed at without a seedbox.

Dark Archon
02-24-2008, 06:38 PM
maybe enable RSS feature on your torrent client and just partial seed all the new torrents.

~JiSh~
02-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Another post about how hard it is to seed ... :(....
As far as i know, sct implemented the .75 download because the very reason you mentioned. So think about it this way, when u download 1 gb, which is counted as 750mb....u have already uploaded 250mb.
So how hard can it really be to seed back the rest to get to 1:1?

And also, all good things in life don't come free :p Either u pay2leech or get a seedbox. You can even share a seedbox like i have in the past.

OR u can always make a thread req. for a F*N invite :p. No ratio there :D

PS, nice post btw. Was an entertaining read :)

mamacita
02-24-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't have a seedbox and I survive just fine on ScT. And I don't download torrents I don't want. So what gives?

Seems to me like you have a problem restraining yourself, nothing more. You want everything NOW! It just doesn't work like that for most us.

dunson
02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
I just reread the OP and it states he is an SCT Whore, which means little to me as a non-member, so I guess he actually keeps his ratio up etc. but is simply complaining about how difficult it is for him.

loljews
02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
i cap my upload on sct to about 40, and have no problems keeping artio, over 320gb up with plenty of buffer to dl what ever massive pack i want.. if ur upload speed sucks, perhaps you shouldn't be leeching 40 torrents at a time.. especially if u know you'll have a hard time seeding it back.

dythim
02-24-2008, 07:38 PM
i cap my upload on sct to about 40, and have no problems keeping artio, over 320gb up with plenty of buffer to dl what ever massive pack i want.. if ur upload speed sucks, perhaps you shouldn't be leeching 40 torrents at a time.. especially if u know you'll have a hard time seeding it back.

Well said. ScT is just very fast and as someone has mentioned before, it's because many people have seedboxes. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

If you want to hop on the torrent quickly, trying using RSS feeds and you'll within a min or two when torrents are released.

While sometimes it is difficult to seed at these places, there are many ways to keep a great ratio even if you don't have a seedbox. One thing great about ScT is that they offer free leech from time to time. You should take full advantage of that when it comes around. Another thing is to prioritize where you download your torrents. Within 10 mins or so, they usually show up at all private trackers so just choose wisely.

Best of luck

aysomc
02-24-2008, 09:05 PM

rofl, first thing that popped in my head as well. you need to build a buffer first then leech whatever you want so your ratio never goes under 1, it really isnt hard even with ~40 kb/s as krunk said. just like him i use comcrap and had a 9:1 ratio with around 11 GB's uploaded before i really started downloading a few things from there, grab new tv shows or whatever from a place with similar pre times like scc and then seed at both places and it wont affect your sct DL stats at all.

Cabalo
02-24-2008, 09:52 PM
for me it has been quite easy, even though i haven't the greatest of upload speeds, and no seedboxes. The .75 rule is an excellent help i must admit.
i mostly download 1 or 2 torrents at the same time, never more, so in fact i can make my upload quickly when there are still a decent number of leechers.

chamaeleo
02-25-2008, 01:53 AM
'QUOTE': SCT's ratio system is severely flawed

what's the problem? there are plenty of ways to get torrents, any torrent really, even zero-hour ones, without having to pay for vip. read some forums instead of posting you might learn a thing or two
just keep it as rule to seed more than you leech it's not that hard and it's pretty much the whole idea of this sharing thing.
leave your computer seeding over night a few days, the environment's screwed anyway or so it is said.

fatcat69
02-25-2008, 02:22 AM
stop f'ing crying.

Noone forces you to download torrents, noone forces you to download from there.

If you dont like it, leave. Everyone else doesnt have an issue with it.

Those that due are the ones who most likely get on it, download everything on the planet, and wonder why they arent getting a 1:1 on a torrent that is 15 weeks old...on a f'ing 0DAY TRACKER

If you dont like it, leave, dont cry. Go somewhere else.

Kyl3KK
02-25-2008, 03:25 AM
You know, I remember when I first joined ScT. No seedbox. Had a 3.0 ratio with 20GB up within what, a week?

I got a seedbox, now I have a 100+GB buffer to play with

Now I don't have one again and I have no problem seeding anything. Just partial seed.

Diiyad
02-25-2008, 03:34 AM
All you people whining in this thread do not know the first thing about torrenting. SCT is one of the if not the fastest tracker out there. There are many people with fast lines BUT people with slow connections still manage. If you can't handle it then get your ass down to scene access before you embarrass yourself by making a thread on FST crying about how you got banned for a low ratio.

pandabear
02-25-2008, 04:22 AM
Sct expect you to know how to leech. So you should always be buffering/ ensuring one way or another your ratio will always be higher than 1.

King of kings
02-25-2008, 05:41 AM
SCT is pure shit, good torrents, great pack, but still, the site is nothing but shit

Istam
02-25-2008, 05:49 AM
thxx

jam0980tr
02-25-2008, 06:02 AM
stop f'ing crying.

Noone forces you to download torrents, noone forces you to download from there.

If you dont like it, leave. Everyone else doesnt have an issue with it.

Those that due are the ones who most likely get on it, download everything on the planet, and wonder why they arent getting a 1:1 on a torrent that is 15 weeks old...on a f'ing 0DAY TRACKER

If you dont like it, leave, dont cry. Go somewhere else.

One hell of a poster fatcat you make me laugh sometimes :lol: but you are right what you said!!

TP635
02-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Why do people still dl from 'fast' tracker?
because the music dl from there sound better
because the actress look sexier in the movies dl from there.:P

Try listening to the same music file that you dl from TPB; it sound like shit. And have you watch porn dl from mininova? you won't have an errection.;)

fatcat69
02-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Why do people still dl from 'fast' tracker?
because the music dl from there sound better
because the actress look sexier in the movies dl from there.:P

Try listening to the same music file that you dl from TPB; it sound like shit. And have you watch porn dl from mininova? you won't have an errection.;)

Well idk what an errection is... but I do get an erection everytime your mom comes and dances for me...ohhh sooo sexy. (as long as your name is stacy.)

5V_rXTp1yBU

vinhkhang01
02-25-2008, 09:28 AM
That's one of the main reasons I don't use ScT as much as I'd like because it's very hard to seed.

Bleacher
02-25-2008, 10:07 AM
What a useless thread, it really is quite simple.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

Tokeman
02-25-2008, 04:25 PM

haha, yea, limit how much you dl at once and you wont have any issues. I only get 80kb/s upload and I have a great ratio there.

fOrUmAs
02-25-2008, 04:49 PM
That's one of the main reasons I don't use ScT as much as I'd like because it's very hard to seed.

then why u have acc there?

lubu
02-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Out of context perhaps but you could have taken part @ the fancy dress competition as well as the hand drawing competition and get 60GB just for participating...

monk3y
02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
yea and ? there are plenty of other torrent sites enjoy them.

5+4=9
02-26-2008, 10:19 PM
First you have to build a buffer, then you can leech

rogerse
02-26-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't get the argument about seeding.How does not being able to seed count as a negative?, isn't it just a side-effect of good speed/seeds?.

The only way it'd be easy to seed is if torrents were slow and ppl would always need more seeding peers, is that really preferable?.

Bionic
02-26-2008, 11:20 PM
So ScT is a give and take.. For low Internet Speed Users, guess this is not for you. Lol. Ima still give this ScT a shot for it's fame.