PDA

View Full Version : are people really allowed to give their accounts away?

dunson
02-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Obviously this will vary from tracker to tracker, but in general are you allowed to give away an account to a tracker? Or is this what all the FST veterans were debating over with the community rep rank being eliminated? Like, its not really allowed, but people do it anyway?

I'm just curious what this is all about.

1000possibleclaws
02-24-2008, 05:18 PM
im not sure if it's written in the rules section of a tracker, but most ban peopel who get caught trading accounts. I can't think of any tracker that is ok with giving away accounts, even if they don't take action about it..

I admit that i used to give away accounts i was done with over letting them get disabled, but i stopped doing that a long time ago, as now ill read a review on the tracker before signing up for it

dunson
02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. I see it on the rules of two of my trackers, but not all.

I wonder if there is a difference in giving away the account because you're not using it and trading it to get into somewhere "better".

The Gladiator
02-24-2008, 05:23 PM
^^ Yeah that's right, but at the final you should delete your acc, no giveaway it because the person that invited you gave the invite to you not to another person, so if you don't want your acc anymore just delete it.

PS: I'm say this but in practice i don't do it :D

@Dunson

I think it's the same for them (tracker's staff)

pro267
02-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I wonder if there is a difference in giving away the account because you're not using it and trading it to get into somewhere "better".
No, there isn't.

dunson
02-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks a lot. I wouldn't do it, but I saw others and just want to know how the community views that.

fOrUmAs
02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Obviously this will vary from tracker to tracker, but in general are you allowed to give away an account to a tracker? Or is this what all the FST veterans were debating over with the community rep rank being eliminated? Like, its not really allowed, but people do it anyway?

there is no rule abouth that,but on most sites u could get answer no..

but even if they are not allowed,its the same as today

people will continue to give or trade acc with or without staff decision

:)

F3n1x
02-24-2008, 05:31 PM
I just give invites persons that i know now. No more public giveaways.

cheers

praveenpious
02-24-2008, 06:15 PM

cheers

Even i too do the same

DMariano
02-24-2008, 06:21 PM
There is a difference between trading the account and giving it to a friend.... you should take that into consideration aswell

dunson
02-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah I was thinking about the friend thing. I let my buddy use an account when I was totally new to torrents and he actually wound up building me a huge buffer lol

I guess that would be a lot less risky. But I guess its advisable to follow the rules and/or check with staff.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Night0wl
02-24-2008, 06:28 PM
There is a difference between trading the account and giving it to a friend.... you should take that into consideration aswell

Actually there isn't. Both are a fake identity after being traded/given away.

And also something that never gets mentioned. Trackers that don't like accounts being given away, will count it as a trade, hence the one that accepts it might get in trouble as well.

Yeah I was thinking about the friend thing. I let my buddy use an account when I was totally new to torrents and he actually wound up building me a huge buffer lol

I guess that would be a lot less risky. But I guess its advisable to follow the rules and/or check with staff.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Always check with staff before sharing an account with a friend. Also sharing an account with a friend and giving it away to some internet friend/random person are two very different things.

znik
02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
You will be held responsible for whatever bad behavour the previous holder had. (cheating on the account, warnings, annoyance of other members on the tracker, attempted trades inside the tracker etc).

Your IPs will be associated with the ones of the previous holder and you could also be banned on many other trackers, since all trackers exchange data about bad users.

That means: don't giveaway and don't accept others' accounts!

You will probably be instantly banned when you try to change the passwd and registered email of the transferred account, but even if that doesn't happen, the risks are far more than you could imagine.

If you no longer need your account, ask a mod to delete it and let another member take your slot in the tracker legitimately, via an invite.

dunson
02-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't mess around with accounts now that I'm a little more informed about torrents.

I only shared cheggit for a bit with my real life best friend and at that point I didn't even know what "connectable" meant... :lol:

pone44
02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Nice. Well said. But giveaways are ok -invites right? I have no invites n never gave any up for if i did unless a Real friend!

You will be held responsible for whatever bad behavour the previous holder had. (cheating on the account, warnings, annoyance of other members on the tracker, attempted trades inside the tracker etc).

Your IPs will be associated with the ones of the previous holder and you could also be banned on many other trackers, since all trackers exchange data about bad users.

That means: don't giveaway and don't accept others' accounts!

You will probably be instantly banned when you try to change the passwd and registered email of the transferred account, but even if that doesn't happen, the risks are far more than you could imagine.

If you no longer need your account, ask a mod to delete it and let another member take your slot in the tracker legitimately, via an invite.

mrnobody
02-24-2008, 07:58 PM
For most tracker, account giveaway isn't allowed.

Most tracker treat account giveaway as account trade mainly coz there isn't really a way to distinguish account giveaway from account trade. All staffer see is IP change, email address change, pw change...and thus they assume it's a trade.

Beside, with account giveaway (i think should be 'account takeaway' lol) XYZ is getting in a site with ABC's identify which can create 'security issue', may be XYZ isn't wanted in that site etc.

znik
02-24-2008, 08:04 PM
pone44 you also put the trackers into risk if you giveaway invites to just anyone here.

I read a lot of times people writing "Be active (meaning give away a lot of invites) so as to have a chance later on to request a free invite".

People who give away invites carelessly are not neccesarily to be trusted, even if they don't trade.

Reason is: the more invites your invitee giveaway carelessly, the more chances your tree will be full of bad apples, and one day the whole tree will collapse, taking you down as well.
This scenario has happened numerous times on bitmetv for example in the past.

Respect the trackers that they don't like their invites been offered publically and only invite people you know before, and can trust.

A member who has used your invite wisely in the past will almost certainly use your invite on another, harder to get tracker, the same way.

stoi
02-24-2008, 10:15 PM

cheers

Even i too do the same

WTF, ive just banned your account on BCG because you were giving it away, make up your mind.

Giveaway is just as much frowned upon as a trade, because they both end up being the same thing for the actual tracker your giving away/trading.

You may be a good member, and we want you on the tracker, we dont want who you think will be a good member in your place, they could be.

Cheater/Scammer/Trader/Seller/Powers that be to name a few.

Jay1728
02-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Trading should not occur in any way. But that's not why I'm making a post here. It's about stoi. Blackcats-games is an awesome site with excellent, helpful staff. The only weak link is stoi, the owner. You, stoi, has been an amazing influence and support to this site since ever [I've hear stories way back] but lately you've become an arsehole, mainly to common users like me. And now you've even banned me for the sole reason that I got hacked. Even though I took back my account, and sealed it shut against further hack attempts, with the help of the BCG staff you disabled my account with 'scamming' as a reason. WTF stoi, seriously. If you are as paranoid and whacky recently as I hear you are you should just chill out and instead you're taking it up on users like me. Shame, just shame.

stoi
02-25-2008, 03:40 AM
Whatever, you havnt got an account anymore, so just get over it for god sake.

TP635
02-25-2008, 04:00 AM
Trading should not occur in any way. But that's not why I'm making a post here. It's about stoi. Blackcats-games is an awesome site with excellent, helpful staff. The only weak link is stoi, the owner. You, stoi, has been an amazing influence and support to this site since ever [I've hear stories way back] but lately you've become an arsehole, mainly to common users like me. And now you've even banned me for the sole reason that I got hacked. Even though I took back my account, and sealed it shut against further hack attempts, with the help of the BCG staff you disabled my account with 'scamming' as a reason. WTF stoi, seriously. If you are as paranoid and whacky recently as I hear you are you should just chill out and instead you're taking it up on users like me. Shame, just shame.

An other account that is 'hack':whistling:noes:

Jay1728
02-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Stoi. You, sir, were wrong and you made a mistake but no, you will not admit that. Instead you called me a liar and didn't even want to hear me out. Good luck on your future endeavours, you will need it.

Edit:

@TP635
What are you insinuating? I made a mistake by making the password easily-hackable even by dictionaryhacking, that's my error I admit. After a couple of hours I changed the password and a person from the staff helped me do the rest, a very helpful person. Days later stoi bans me for 'scamming'. Very cute. Btw, it's spelled 'another' not 'an other'. Oh, and it's 'hacked' :>

stoi
02-25-2008, 04:08 AM
why will i need any luck??

you account has got 4 different Ips on it in the last week alone.

3 from the USA on different ISPs, 1 from the UK and then a lot of yours from PL.

now 1 hack i could have understood, 2 hacks maybe, but 4. come on (i know you only claimed 2 but the IPs listed does not claim that).

I got a report on here that you Scammed someone in a giveaway for BCG on your other account, that has been banned from here as well btw, Trivium.

Now your claiming all innocent.

If i find out in the near future that you are not Trivium then i will hold my hands up and apologize, but.. you will not get your account back after what you said in IRC even though i wasnt even in IRC at the time.

TP635
02-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Stoi. You, sir, were wrong and you made a mistake but no, you will not admit that. Instead you called me a liar and didn't even want to hear me out. Good luck on your future endeavours, you will need it.

Edit:

@TP635
What are you insinuating? I made a mistake by making the password easily-hackable even by dictionaryhacking, that's my error I admit. After a couple of hours I changed the password and a person from the staff helped me do the rest, a very helpful person. Days later stoi bans me for 'scamming'. Very cute. Btw, it's spelled 'another' not 'an other'. Oh, and it's 'hacked' :>

Even someone as new to torrenting as TP635 can spot 'it' . Stoi can see 'it' with his eyes closed.

ps: thanks for the spellcheck; that I owe you one beer ......

Jay1728
02-25-2008, 04:19 AM
I am not Trivium [whoever he was/is], I did not scam/try to scam anyone, ever. You probably will find out that I was and am innocent but it will not change the fact that you acted foolishly and you did not want to listen to my explanations. My outburst on IRC was only because of my emotions at that time and I am not ashamed. I still believe that the staff does a good job and you decayed from a position of a person holding all the cards and mantaining peace and order on the site to a role of a... hell knows who.
Off to bed.

jam0980tr
02-25-2008, 04:23 AM
4 different Ips i see a
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/8258/pwned111za6.jpg

dunson
02-25-2008, 04:51 AM
Jay: You sound pathetic. I'm not a member at BCG and I don't really have a need for any games besides COD4. But if I was more of a gamer, I'd be dying to get in if only because of how stoi represents the site on these forums. I'm sure there are more deserving prospective users that would enjoy it much more than I could, so I wouldn't bother. But it is quite clear that you won't be missed at BCG. That evidence is pretty damning and your story is rather implausible, so I hope you get whatever emotional satisfaction you can out of attacking the admin here, because it is readily apparent that you will get nothing more.

shmicko
02-25-2008, 05:29 AM
would you give your credit card details to a friend? or random fst member?

Polarbear
02-25-2008, 06:02 AM

from the tracker point of view it doesn't matter if you give away or trade an account. fact is, that an account changes hands and this is against the rules.
why should they care what you got in return for it?

from your inviter point of view it is a betrayal. he invited you - and only you. he invited you because you are a good person and he trusted you.
now all over sudden his invitee is a total stranger that he never wanted to be on the tracker. by giving away accounts you put your inviter in a helpless deperate situation. you abuse the trust he put in you with the lame excuse to "help" others.
your inviter doesn't give a shit who you wanna help or how many rep points you will get. he wanted you to use your account, that's why he invited you.

if you take an account you also take another person's identity. you will have to duck and cover the whole time before you finally get banned.

to put it in a nutshell:

if you don't use or like an account anymore, delete it or leave it to be automatically disabled.

supper
02-25-2008, 06:13 AM
so if any one traded invites not accounts and the tracker staff find this out then they wont ban or disable both this invite trader and this person who have been invited?

jam0980tr
02-25-2008, 06:13 AM
if you don't use or like an account anymore, delete it or leave it to be automatically disabled.

Polarbear i do the same if i don't like it i use that opinion
:D

djkamikaze
02-25-2008, 06:32 AM
no difference in giving/seelling/trading, whether to a friend or a stranger.
remember, when YOU signed up for teh account, YOU agreed to the site's terms of use/service... if you give the account to someone else, that "someone else" NEVER agreed to the site's rules.

additionally, it's a huge dis-service to the person that invited you to give it away. MOST torrent sites hold the inviter responsible for the actions of the invitee, to a different degree depending on which site/tracker it is. If the person you give the account to ends up doing something stupid, and gets banned, YOUR inviter may be banned as well. Yes, you intend to give it to your best friend that you've known for 10 years, etc, but you'd be surprised what people you THINK you know well will do sometimes. Even relatives.

just PLEASE don't do it. If people are patient, they will eventually get into ANY torrent site they want, it may take years, but they will have gotten in the way THAT particular torrent community wants their members to join.

It's just common decency, if you are a guest in someone's house, you respect their property and don't shit on their sofa. If you join a torrent site, respect their rules. Those rules are part of what made that site what it is today, and if people want in to that site, then the site must be doing SOMETHING right!

edit: @ supper: yes. the whole purpose behind invite systems at torrent sites is that when a new member is invited, that means a trusted member that is already there thinks they are going to be an asset to that torrent community, and if you are simply trading invites with someone, that means you don't really know that person as well as you are supposed to know them... you are in fact taking something that belongs to the site (the invite) and trading it for something that YOU want (an invite to another site)

Many sites will even ban you for simply being a member here @ FST, if they can link your account with them to your account here @ FST.

Polarbear
02-25-2008, 06:37 AM
it may take years

don't discourage people. this may sound a little depressing to some. make that a few month at most. :)

djkamikaze
02-25-2008, 06:59 AM
if you don't have a seedbox or a high-bandwidth internet connection, it may take you years to get into the highest level trackers, that's why they're so desired. Once you are into your first private tracker, you should consider that you are building your reputation in the wider torrent community. after a few months at one private torrent site, if you have a good ratio, participate in irc or forums, and even upload a torrent or two, you should start to earn a reputation that will make people feel comfortable giving you invites to other private sites; then do the same at those. You'll make some friends, and you'll be on your way.

If you have a seedbox or connection that has 10mbit+ UL, it will happen a lot faster, but in reality, time is what people need to get to trust you. My criteria for giving out invites are
- how long have you been a member at other torrent sites where I may know you? (I want to see at least 6 months activity to get a good idea of your real torrent habits)
- what is your ratio there? (0.85 or higher is good enough for me)
- is that torrent site better or worse because you are there?
- do you talk in the forums? this gives me the best idea of who you are; do you jump all over noobs that ask a dumb question or do you help people?

anyway, that's about invites, and we're talking more about giving/trading accounts in this thread... I would HOPE that someone I gave an invite too would NEVER consider giving that account away. I would feel betrayed if they did.

DKre8ive1
02-25-2008, 08:13 AM
No accounts should not be traded and I will give you an example below why.

User A is a member of *** torrent site and gets an invite and gives it to user B thinking that he will be a good user.

User B gets the account and finds out that it don't fit his needs so then he trades it to User C for another site.

User C turns around and tries to sell the invite and gets caught and any Ip/nicks/emails that belong to these three users get banned by all sites that network with the site in question to get rid of account sellers and what makes it worse is that User A is innocent bystander and got caught in the crossfire because of User C.

Moral of the story "Don't trade Accounts"

I think I already had posted this somewhere else but this is example is easier to understand I think.

vinhkhang01
02-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Very good explanation - Account trading is against tracker rules to begin with.

No accounts should not be traded and I will give you an example below why.

User A is a member of *** torrent site and gets an invite and gives it to user B thinking that he will be a good user.

User B gets the account and finds out that it don't fit his needs so then he trades it to User C for another site.

User C turns around and tries to sell the invite and gets caught and any Ip/nicks/emails that belong to these three users get banned by all sites that network with the site in question to get rid of account sellers and what makes it worse is that User A is innocent bystander and got caught in the crossfire because of User C.

Moral of the story "Don't trade Accounts"

I think I already had posted this somewhere else but this is example is easier to understand I think.

ghurka
02-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Anyone who is still not sure whether a tracker allows you to give away your account just check their Terms and Conditions (T & Cs) as it is most likely not in the FAQ or Rules. Most T & Cs are standardised and somewhere in there it will state that the account is for your own personal use and is not transferable.

I would very much doubt if any tracker would allow you to this and if they did who would want to join a site that compromises your security anyway.