PDA

View Full Version : Please help me set up my seedbox!

deKoy
02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I need help:
-Setting up FTP
-Installing Screen
-Adding .rtorrent.rc

I use linux with CentOS 5. I've been working on this for the past few hours, it is getting really frustrating :angry:

dythim
02-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Just take it one step at a time. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet and you'll always learn more if you set it up yourself. However, if you do get stuck, feel free to PM me. We can talk on MSN.

deKoy
02-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I have finished everything and I have installed rtorrent. I just need help with the above. My main problem is when I try to install one of those I get "Nothing to do". I know I need to add the sources but I don't know what they are.

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 10:45 PM
FTP is easy - google FTP WinSCP and download it & install it on your PC.

Would love to be able to increase it's speed though.

The others I know nothing - yet :P

deKoy
02-24-2008, 10:55 PM
I know how to use FTP, the problem is it can't connect to my seedbox. I believe you have to install something to make it work.

dythim
02-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Yes, you have to run a ftp daemon/server on the receiving end.

deKoy
02-24-2008, 10:58 PM
How would I do that?

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 11:02 PM
I know how to use FTP, the problem is it can't connect to my seedbox. I believe you have to install something to make it work.

I didn't have to with Fedora 6, I just ran WinSCP and I got in.

dythim
02-24-2008, 11:03 PM
It depends if you want to run ftp or sftp. It sounds like he's using ftp on port 21 instead of sftp over ssh on port 22. :)

deKoy
02-24-2008, 11:04 PM
How long did it take you to set up with Fedora and what tutorial did you use? I've been working with CentOS for the past 4 hours and I'm not done yet.

Also, I already tried both ports.

I'm trying to do "yum install vsftpd" but it ends up saying "Nothing to do."

dythim
02-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Both Fedora and CentOS are red hat based. I would check your iptables to see if that's blocking it.

deKoy
02-24-2008, 11:09 PM
I know how to check my iptables but I have not idea what the information means. This is the first time I've ever used linux.

SgtMajor
02-24-2008, 11:12 PM
How long did it take you to set up with Fedora and what tutorial did you use? I've been working with CentOS for the past 4 hours and I'm not done yet.

Also, I already tried both ports.

I'm trying to do "yum install vsftpd" but it ends up saying "Nothing to do."

Took me 2 hours to be up & running by reading the tut on this site, and the generous help in my OVH thread.

Still a couple of things to learn yet, but I have seeded 156GB within the last 12 hours just by messing about, imngine what it will be like when I am the "expert" and I know what I am doing :P

grimms
02-24-2008, 11:30 PM
With anything becoming an expert takes alittle time, but it will be easier the faster the learner you are(The better you can retain a vast amount of knowledge), and the more you do it. It's called progression. Take it from me, been studying computers, periperals, operating systems, and much more for over 12 years now. I want to thank you all, as well for the linux, ftp suggestions, and seedbox help. I have downloaded every software mentioned this far and bookmarked mostly every Linux tut within this site and other places. I'm in the process of learning ubuntu, but also learning how the seedbox process works and what i should buy in the end.

tusks
02-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Why are there two threads on this same topic? deKoy you should PM a mod and have them delete the other thread.

Anyways, your iptables is a firewall. It will tell you what ports you have set open and closed, etc. I don't personally use iptables because I'm behind a router. I suggest you use a frontend for iptables like Webadmin. Google it.

Edit: Please update us on what you have done successfully and what still needs to be done.

markupmaster
02-25-2008, 01:34 AM
Check out the guides at torrent-source.net

:D