PDA

View Full Version : rtorrent in os x...help!

dunson
02-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm trying to set up rtorrent in OS X and I have it properly installed so the program will run, but all of the tutorials gloss over how exactly to create and save a config file file. I know basically what to put in based on the examples and my 2 days experience with rtorrent and Debian, but I really can't remember and I cannot find how to setup .rtorrent.rc. So if anyone can give me some clear directions, I'd be so appreciative.

I'm running rtorrent in MacPorts on a Leopard machine. I'm very new to the command line. Please keep that in mind. Thanks!

naq
02-27-2008, 03:50 PM
The file .rtorrent.rc needs to be in the same location you are running rtorrent from.

Save this file to that location and rename it to .rtorrent.rc: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/browser/trunk/rtorrent/doc/rtorrent.rc?rev=1039&format=raw

You can edit the file using the text editor that comes with Leopard.

dunson
02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Do I need to use Terminal to save the file to the directory? Or can I just save the config text file (which I already have btw) and save it in the Finder?

This point wasn't very clear in the tutorials and when I tried to just drag & drop, I got access denied or something...Might have been the wrong dir for rtorrent.

naq
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Sorry, I have no experience with macports. I would think rtorrent can be run from anywhere, so maybe try opening a new terminal, find out the current location (I think typing "pwd" should work), and move the .rc file to that location using finder.

Polarbear
02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm trying to set up rtorrent in OS X and I have it properly installed so the program will run, but all of the tutorials gloss over how exactly to create and save a config file file. I know basically what to put in based on the examples and my 2 days experience with rtorrent and Debian, but I really can't remember and I cannot find how to setup .rtorrent.rc. So if anyone can give me some clear directions, I'd be so appreciative.

I'm running rtorrent in MacPorts on a Leopard machine. I'm very new to the command line. Please keep that in mind. Thanks!

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-apple-section-150/

dunson
02-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Thanks for trying to help guys. I got it working and it works beautifully. I'm no pro on it, but I'll figure out how to optimize its performance, but its running smoothly with like 10 torrents using up .5% of my processor or so...

For those that don't know, rTorrent is based on the same source as uTorrent, so it really blows away any of the other OS X clients. If you've tried uTorrent in a wine server you know what I mean...because connecting to peers and seeding is so much better than Transmission and Azureus.

yozshura
02-28-2008, 11:06 PM
For those that don't know, rTorrent is based on the same source as uTorrent
Sorry, where do you get that information ?

Since uTorrent is closed source and run only on windows when rTorrent run on *nix, i really doubt your statement ...

dunson
02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Eh, I don't know. I read up on it a lot and I think I saw they were based on the same libtorrent source. Is it possible that uTorrent was just changed a lot but the fundamental parts are still the same? I'm no expert.