PDA

View Full Version : Will BitMeTV account get disabled?

nemrac
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Will an existing BitMeTV account get deleted or disabled if the IP address changes and if so, is there a way to avoid this?

To give the scenario, my friend does not need his account any more. He got a warning letter from his ISP for doing some 'questionable things' and wants out of torrents completely. He said i can have his account.

what do you say?

Sekai
02-27-2008, 07:57 PM
My friend gave me his BmTV account a couple of months ago and my account didn't get banned. The annoying thing is that he had invited a cheater like 6 months ago so his invites had been disabled, and he didn't tell me. So now I'm stuck with an account with disabled invites, and I don't dare try to ask a friend for a new invite there considering that they might have already logged my IP with that account, and if I make a new account they might ban both of them.

But the point is that you probably won't be banned.

mbucari1
02-27-2008, 08:13 PM
My friend gave me his BmTV account a couple of months ago and my account didn't get banned. The annoying thing is that he had invited a cheater like 6 months ago so his invites had been disabled, and he didn't tell me. So now I'm stuck with an account with disabled invites, and I don't dare try to ask a friend for a new invite there considering that they might have already logged my IP with that account, and if I make a new account they might ban both of them.

But the point is that you probably won't be banned.You would have turned down the account if you had known the invites had been disabled?

Polarbear
02-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Will an existing BitMeTV account get deleted or disabled if the IP address changes and if so, is there a way to avoid this?

To give the scenario, my friend does not need his account any more. He got a warning letter from his ISP for doing some 'questionable things' and wants out of torrents completely. He said i can have his account.

what do you say?

accounts are for your personal use. one account in a lifetime per person.

those are the rules.

bitmetv doesn't care if you friend trades the account or gives it to you for free. they don't care wether his computer exploded or he has a new girlfriend or problems with his isp.

your scenario doesn't play a role.

it's against their rules that an account changes hands. if the ip range changes, it will most likely be disabled.

tell your "friend" to delete his account and look out for an invite.

you are not stupid. you will find one.

Kyokushin
02-27-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't understand why he is quitting the torrent world only because of a warning... Besides, bitmetv being very hard to get, should be quite secure.

VIZFX
02-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Is should not get disabled in they are using the passkey method, instead of ips. Not 100% sure though.

danio
02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
he should get out of TPB instead :P

nemrac
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
he should get out of TPB instead :P

TPB?

Swordfish
02-27-2008, 09:15 PM
the pirate bay.. public tracker.. :pinch:

usersec
02-27-2008, 09:15 PM
He got a warning letter from his ISP for doing some 'questionable things' and wants out of torrents completely.

what country is in question?

carbon0
02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
thepiratebay?

nemrac
02-27-2008, 09:30 PM
He got a warning letter from his ISP for doing some 'questionable things' and wants out of torrents completely.

what country is in question?

He got a warning letter from his Canadian ISP, but the original complaint can from a watchdog group in California. It said something like "we have evidence that one of your customers at IP xxx.x..x..x is downloading copyright material and as their ISP you should do something about it" Something like that. I think he was downloading a video game from a tracker he found on isohunt.

He's scared because the letter actually stated the name of the file he was downloading and other details. so he wants to stop downloading everything.

I think he's over reacting, but thats his business.

Sekai
02-28-2008, 06:38 PM

But the point is that you probably won't be banned.You would have turned down the account if you had known the invites had been disabled?

Yes, because one of my friends was offering me an invite to BmTV which I declined because I was already getting an account.

Sylar666
02-28-2008, 06:55 PM
He's scared because the letter actually stated the name of the file he was downloading and other details. so he wants to stop downloading everything.

He does, apparently. Assuming that the IP is dynamic, there is no way to prove his "guiltiness".

C-mos
02-28-2008, 07:07 PM

He does, apparently. Assuming that the IP is dynamic, there is no way to prove his "guiltiness".

i agree !

parky
02-28-2008, 08:57 PM
My isp seems to change my ip every few months and I never have any problems with my accounts on any tracker

nemrac
02-28-2008, 09:06 PM

I pretty sure his IP is static. I know mine hasn't changed in over a year and I've left my cable modem unplugged for a week to try and change it.

Nemrac

Tokeman
02-28-2008, 09:22 PM

I pretty sure his IP is static. I know mine hasn't changed in over a year and I've left my cable modem unplugged for a week to try and change it.

Nemrac

off topic, my cable modem usually only grabs a new IP if I connect a different (PC/router) with a different mac address. After connecting the new hardware, rebooting the cable modem has always given me a new public IP.

On topic, IP's change everyday, and if your in the same state, dont worry about it. I don't condone doing this, but you'll do it with or without proper information if your set on it anyway, so you might as well be informed correctly.

Something Else
02-28-2008, 09:45 PM
You would have turned down the account if you had known the invites had been disabled?

Yes, because one of my friends was offering me an invite to BmTV which I declined because I was already getting an account.

Keep it foolish. :cool:

Seriously though, that was a bad move, I hope you see that. :mellow:

grimms
02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
YOur IP address will change everytime you connect a new NIC (Network Interface Card) or Gateway (Router/ Default Gateway). Unless you have a Static IP address, but you would still have to call up your ISP provider to keep static whenever switching nics or/and routers.

nemrac
02-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks grimms.

Cabalo
02-29-2008, 02:34 AM
well, in most good routers, u can clone a mac address, meaning each time u want, u change your IP.
my d-link does that, it's so comfortable.

Jfff
02-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Take the bloody invite! I really doubt you will get banned. Just say you moved. This is a rare chance, and worst case scenario you'll get banned and be back to where you are now.

Sanka113
02-29-2008, 05:37 AM

what do you say?

accounts are for your personal use. one account in a lifetime per person.

those are the rules.

bitmetv doesn't care if you friend trades the account or gives it to you for free. they don't care wether his computer exploded or he has a new girlfriend or problems with his isp.

your scenario doesn't play a role.

it's against their rules that an account changes hands. if the ip range changes, it will most likely be disabled.

tell your "friend" to delete his account and look out for an invite.

you are not stupid. you will find one.

Eh, rules are meant to be broken. One wouldn't be into torrenting if they followed every rule out there (copyright laws). Take the account and enjoy it.

AugustoP
02-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Let the account rest for a couple of days with no activity and then login.

sense
02-29-2008, 12:11 PM

Wrong, I worked at an isp, we kept logs of which user had which ip @ what time. The logs went back several months, not sure right now exactly how long, could be a year. Having a dynamic ip doesn't help you.

Sekai
02-29-2008, 03:52 PM

Keep it foolish. :cool:

Seriously though, that was a bad move, I hope you see that. :mellow:
Hrm, I don't see where I stated that I was going to throw the account away?
And yes I know it was a bad move, I wrote that I regretted it, didn't I?...

Take the bloody invite! I really doubt you will get banned. Just say you moved. This is a rare chance, and worst case scenario you'll get banned and be back to where you are now.

Are you talking to me or nemrac?

carbon0
02-29-2008, 04:21 PM
well, in most good routers, u can clone a mac address, meaning each time u want, u change your IP.
my d-link does that, it's so comfortable.How do I do that? I have a dlink dgl4300 router

Tokeman
02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
my d-link does that, it's so comfortable.How do I do that? I have a dlink dgl4300 router
check your manual for mac cloning/changing options:
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dgl4300/Manual/DGL-4300_manual_06292005.zip

nemrac
03-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks everyone for your Help.

Nemrac

Wow, i just realized i have almost 200 post. I'd better do a give-a-way.

Sanka113
03-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Gratz' on the 200th post. Any decision on if you're going to accept the account or not? (Do it)

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-01-2008, 04:43 AM
just take the account, unless hes a leecher and didnt keep a good ratio, other than that, big deal. as far as IP address being different, it was said a few posts up that when you replace a router or NIC card, your ip will change. We all know about mac cloning, but I never did any of that and have rolled through 4 routers while being a bitmetv member, so thats 4 different ip addys. They arent looking at your ip, they look at ratio, and its not even "them" who look, its the tracker script.

The only other thing that would stick out is multiple connections on the same account from several IPs