PDA

View Full Version : VPS hosting-ie.com

messi30
02-28-2008, 01:18 AM
What better option of VPS in hosting-ie.com?

Centurion
Iberia
Raptor
Rabtor +
Extrem

Argyle
02-28-2008, 01:21 AM
Depends on your funds but i'm looking at a raptor 3-5 personally...I cant wait to go from geekrack to them. It's going to be like stepping into the bandwidth motherland

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Raptor 5, cheapest 1GB RAM option there is, if you can afford it.

And go with a nix box if you feel really confident of doing so, plenty of help round here to get you going and keep you going :)

Argyle
02-28-2008, 02:30 AM
is there a need to get 1gb ram if you're only running utorrent?

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 02:45 AM
is there a need to get 1gb ram if you're only running utorrent?

Definitely if you are using windows. Seedboxes usually are downloading faster then the hard drive can write, so the ram is buffering the data.

Right now sgt. and I both have nix boxes with 256 ram that are kicking some major arse!

:lol:

Windows with web 2003: 1GB of ram
Can do with 512, but it wont be fun

Nix boxes, optimally 512 or more...but mine is running plenty decent with 256mb.

VIZFX
02-28-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm getting interested in these seedboxes from hosting-ie.com that you guys keep raving about. What is a nix box?

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm getting interested in these seedboxes from hosting-ie.com that you guys keep raving about. What is a nix box?

nix = unix

remember the vps take about a week to 2 weeks to setup, so dont be impatient after you order it. They dont bill you for time you dont have it, so thats the good part.

Vectoral, leasweb and most other companies bill you month at a time and will bill you from the date you order it, not the date you receive log in details. Thats why they have set up within 48hours.

Also, hosting ie req. a 3 month minimum contract, but you can opt out of it for an extra $10 a month or so.

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 06:48 AM
nix = unix,

Centos, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo etc are all classed under one umbrella of the nix box.

Way less resource hungry than windows, and therefore ultimately faster for a seedbox as less things to get in the way of utorrent doing its work.

VIZFX
02-28-2008, 06:54 AM
A nix box sounds like the way to go, but I don't have any unix experience so I should probably get a windows box, right?

SgtMajor
02-28-2008, 06:59 AM
A nix box sounds like the way to go, but I don't have any unix experience so I should probably get a windows box, right?

Neither did the 2 people above you 4 days ago, now we are giving advice :D

It's costs - you need 1GB of RAM to run a windows seedbox, and then it still falls over & is slow, 2GB RAM is nice.

512MB RAM will run a nix box all day and at full speed, read the OVH & Fedora thread, a couple of others are chipping with their experiences & speeds, the latest is downing at 10MB/S.

It's your money though, you pays your $ and makes your choice, whatever makes you feel comfortable & happy is best for you, now what others tell you to do, you can only be given advice, you don't have to take it & act on it.

VIZFX
02-28-2008, 07:08 AM
I truely appreciate your advice. Very helpful. I need to check out the OVH & Fedora thread before I continue asking a bunch of questions that have already been answered. Thanks!

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 08:45 AM
I truely appreciate your advice. Very helpful. I need to check out the OVH & Fedora thread before I continue asking a bunch of questions that have already been answered. Thanks!

Ya its a mile long, but it is very helpful, everything is in there to get up and running, but in a few days a full tutorial will be out. We are working on making it, well naq is making it, im just adding a few things lol. His experience and my noobish knowledge = kick ass linux tutorial.:lol:

briand5379
02-28-2008, 02:34 PM
You can run windows just fine on 512MB you just have to get use to it, I've only ever had 512 and it runs just fine. Obviously it'll run better on 1GB but that doesn't mean you have to have it.

carbon0
02-28-2008, 02:39 PM
so utorrent + windows with 512mb ram = fine?

briand5379
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I think 512 is plenty. By all means if you want to dish out for the extra ram that's up to you. You'll get some better speeds but you'll pay for it.

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
windows idling will take up about 200-256ram....then you have ftp server running, utorrent, your browser....youll use up that 512 in 2 seconds.

Id always recommend atleast 1gb, that way you can set disk cache to 700mb and download and seed at decent speeds.

check out my tutorials/FAQ in my signature for more help

briand5379
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Not everyone can afford a GB of ram. I do all of that and have 100-150 left over I guess I just use it differently then you. Now if you let disk overload occur your right you'll be out of ram. However that should seldom happen if you have the right settings. I also tend to use auto recover.

Anyone looking for guidance should follow whoever they'd like and see if it works for them. I do things differently then fatcat69 so your more then welcome to PM me if you need help.

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Not everyone can afford a GB of ram. I do all of that and have 100-150 left over I guess I just use it differently then you. Now if you let disk overload occur your right you'll be out of ram. However that should seldom happen if you have the right settings. I also tend to use auto recover.

Anyone looking for guidance should follow whoever they'd like and see if it works for them. I do things differently then fatcat69 so your more then welcome to PM me if you need help.

Without limiting bandwidth?

You will have disk overload if you are downloading anything over 3-4gb and at 11mb/s....the hard drive cant physically write that fast if its ide...

carbon0
02-28-2008, 04:07 PM
k............

briand5379
02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
The only ways I know to prevent overload is by either adjusting your settings to just the right speed and so on or by having a hdd that can handle the load. I'm not exactly getting the point of your last post.

fatcat69
02-28-2008, 04:37 PM
The only ways I know to prevent overload is by either adjusting your settings to just the right speed and so on or by having a hdd that can handle the load. I'm not exactly getting the point of your last post.

Ok by adjusting the bandwidth you arent solving the problem, you are just avoiding it. That was my point. With less memory, you have a smaller buffer. Smaller buffer, means youll have to restrict your bandwidth sooner then if you had a larger buffer, you follow?

Hence why memory is by far the most important thing with a windows box.

Yes, You can run a windows box on 512mb ram, however youll be restricting your bandwidth for large files down to what...4mb/s ..if that.

For a seedbox, the whole idea is to seed the most at that initial seeding point, when the file just drops...and with high level trackers, you are connecting to multiple seedboxes, who are all trying to seed the most in that initial 10 minutes where youll see upload speeds of over 10mb/s.
However, if you arent downloading the file at its maximum speed, you will have less to upload to other users, and other users will get ahead of you and start seeding to you rather then leeching from you. So then once you finish downloading, there will already be anywhere between 20-30 seedboxes ahead of you, therefore your max. upload decreases greatly.

Remember, this isnt ftp transfer, you get a seedbox to be the first done downloading so you can seed it to a high ratio, ditch it, and then grap another file. Why else would you pay $80 for one month?

If you have a vps for an extended period of time, you dont need to buffer accounts and download stuff you dont want just to upload more...as you will be using it for all your torrenting, so everything you download for the next few months is seeded to a very high ratio.

VIZFX
02-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Looking forward to naq and fatcat69's unix setup tutorial. It will be the main reason why I may go with a nix box. Not just the money. You guys rock!

briand5379
02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
I realize your somewhat of a guru now and I follow everything you say. We all have are thoughts on why we do what we do. I think you've missed my original point. Not everyone needs nor can budget the extra money for a GB in.

I think 512 is plenty. By all means if you want to dish out for the extra ram that's up to you. You'll get some better speeds but you'll pay for it.

more money = more ram = more speed