PDA

View Full Version : general question regarding private trackers

bigtone
02-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Why did demonoid get shut down but other excellent trackers don't? Do they do something that demonoid didn't?

VIZFX
02-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Key word here is "private." I can already tell that this is going to be a long thread.

pro267
02-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I believe Demonoid was the largest (pseudo) private tracker, therefore it was targeted first.
It's all a question of numbers.

stoi
02-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Well i "heard" and im not saying its true, that it was an internal matter between them and their hosts, thats why they closed up shop.

other trackers still use the same hosts Demonoid was on, and not all are totally private, Bitsoup does, and they are fine.

dunson
02-28-2008, 11:10 PM
I suspected that is what happened, stoi. I thought it was interesting that Deimos indicated in what was basically his only communication about the future of Demonoid over at the SubDemon forums that he was having some issues finding a suitable host. Having donated to both, I realized there was something a little strange about that.
Funny thing is, I was actually using Demonoid as the site was taken down, which was kinda cool, and I don't remember the message that first appeared, but the tone of it read as though the site was being pulled because the host was caving to legal pressure and they needed to find a new home for the tracker.

stoi
02-29-2008, 12:42 AM
well i asked moxie hosting what happened to demonoid, and they said it was an internal matter. I thought demonoid was with moxie (tbh i never went to the demonoid site in my life lol) so im not 100% certain what host they were with, i do know it was canada though.

and do you think they have more cash then the MPAA/RIAA??

and thats news to me, didnt realise bitsoup and moxie were one in the same. actually are you sure as moxie told me they boght the servers for them and set it up for them (co-location) and they just sent them the cash.

this is the email i got from moxie

Demoind was a inside matter.

Nothing here in Canada has changed in regards to the laws

Currently sites of this nature are protected by freedom of information act
so they are 100% legit

The issue is we do not stock the hardware you need.

We can purchase it on your behalf and invoice you for it but you would end
up being a colo client.

This is what bitsoup and many other sites do they pay us to get the hardware
set it up and run from there.

Let me know if this is workable for your needs

ramishka
02-29-2008, 02:10 AM
As far as i know Demonoid's ISP was threatened by CRIA and their ISP was not Moxie. In fact, Moxie's stand on threats by Anti Piracy organizations is said to be tougher (or so they say).

Anyway inferno.demonoid.com came back online several days ago from Malaysiya as you may know so we can all hope that it's a sign of Deimon's return.

markupmaster
02-29-2008, 02:20 AM
Well,I would call Demonoid a "private" tracker.

It's what you call a "Semi-private" tracker.

:)

grimms
02-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Definitely semi-private(But publicly known). I remember Deimos stating that he had some personal problems and couldn't both deal with that and the fact that the host company their with, wouldn't fight on their behalf if the CRIA (RIAA Canada) intruded. Which they obviously have. Plus Demonoid is so big and popular, that it is on almost all the Major Anti P2P Groups Radar(If not all by now). Unlike most small private trackers that are not. Even though some probably are, and US as the public, don't or will not know that. Unless your a SysOp or Admin of course.

ramishka
02-29-2008, 03:17 AM
Definitely semi-private(But publicly known). I remember Deimos stating that he had some personal problems and couldn't both deal with that and the fact that the host company their with, wouldn't fight on their behalf if the CRIA (RIAA Canada) intruded. Which they obviously have. Plus Demonoid is so big and popular, that it is on almost all the Major Anti P2P Groups Radar(If not all by now). Unlike most small private trackers that are not. Even though some probably are, and US as the public, don't or will not know that. Unless your a SysOp or Admin of course.

At least Bitsoup is under the radar. It was in leaked MediaDefender Mails.

Kyokushin
02-29-2008, 04:21 AM
Demonoid was the biggest and more popular private tracker ever (it was my first private tracker). Its obvious that suck a massive source of ilegal material is going to be targeted first.
What I really cant understand is why they closed Demonoid and Oink, while there are dozens of public trackers that transfer dozens of terabytes still working.

grimms
02-29-2008, 04:38 AM
What I really cant understand is why they closed Demonoid and Oink, while there are dozens of public trackers that transfer dozens of terabytes still working.

Because they were both targeted by the Major Anti P2P Groups. Both sites were on their radar. Most private tracker sites are not (At the moment). If I were an SysOp or admin, I would want it kept that way.

DasFox
02-29-2008, 05:22 AM
How unsafe does it make it for the users on trackers like this?

DarkLured
02-29-2008, 06:17 AM

Because they were both targeted by the Major Anti P2P Groups. Both sites were on their radar. Most private tracker sites are not (At the moment). If I were an SysOp or admin, I would want it kept that way.

I think Kyokushin was asking why the large public trackers were not targeted the way Demonoid and Oink were, considering the volume of material transferred over public trackers. Is it in part because of where the large public trackers are operated (i.e. jurisdictional reasons)?

Yinon
02-29-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm afraid it's only a matter of time before they start targeting other private trackers

ramishka
02-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Any action by the authorities against a tracker is to generate a lot of media hype and attention. This could work as free advertising for the tracker. For example- Danish TPB blockade did actually increase TPB traffic from that country, not reduce it.

Another factor why private trackers have survived so far maybe the so called hydra effect. Authorities were successful in shutting down Oink. But Waffles and What which were created immediately after shutdown (called oink's piglets) are functioning to date without trouble.

And of course, in some countries operating a tracker isn't illegal at all.

Innos
02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
a semi-private tracker like demonoid was closed ... but the pubilc tracker like mininova, TPB etc. ... NoT , how come ?:huh:

Kyokushin
02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
a semi-private tracker like demonoid was closed ... but the pubilc tracker like mininova, TPB etc. ... NoT , how come ?http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../images/smilies/huh.gif

The same thing that I asked a few posts ago, and that DarkLured responded. It's a matter of location.

alfry1010
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
the number of people is the key that why the privat tracker limit the number of user because more the user is more the server is load and more you attract the autority.

stoi
02-29-2008, 07:30 PM
yeah im not going to go with moxie, heard pretty bad things about them

dunson
02-29-2008, 07:32 PM
I've donated to Demonoid through Moxie Hosting. I'm 99% sure of it, that's all I know. ;)