PDA

View Full Version : Is BCG SP system, a Freeleech System

stoi
02-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Just a curiosity question really.

But when i here of freeleech on other trackers, you still have to seed for a set period of time, or to a 1:1 ratio. which is basically the same as BCG but we do it 365 days a year with the SP mod.

Just i see all these threads about other trackers being freeleech, and the no ratio trackers, but not many people mention the BCG system (i know some do but not as much compared to others).

Obviously other trackers have 2* upload etc which we do not have.

so im just wondering if its seen as freeleech to users, or something else.

# What is the Seed Points mod?

Our Seed Points mod is an exclusive system that always helps the members to seed their torrents whenever the uploading conditions are too hard.
Since the torrents run out of leechers very fast, sometimes it gets really difficult to seed back the torrent you have just downloaded.

# How can I get the Seed Points?

There are some requirements that must be met so your torrent becomes eligible for the Seed Points mod. All the requirements must be met at the same time, otherwise you will not collect any Seed Points.

1. You must have the full torrent downloaded. If you grab only a small part of it, you will never receive Seed Points.
2. The individual ratio for the torrent you are seeding must be less than 1.000. If you have a torrent which ratio is Inf. (Infinite), you will not receive Seed Points too, because Infinite is higher than 1.000.
3. You must not be the torrent Uploader.
4. You must have the torrent active in your torrent history.
5. You must have at least 72 hours of active time on the torrent. The active time is the total time that you spent connected to that torrent while downloading and seeding it. Only after the initial 72 hours of active time you will start receiving Seed Points. If the torrent has less than 500MB in size, then you will only need an active time of 36 hours to start collecting Seed Points.
6. The seeder/leecher ratio must either be equal or higher than 20:1, which means 20 seeders for each leecher. If a torrent has 0 leechers, then you do not have to worry about how many seeders there are, because you will receive Seed Points anyway.

You must seed your torrents respecting the member class limit. If you seed more torrents at the same time than your member class allows, you will not receive Seed Points.

KL = 5
USER = 10
PU = 10
> SPU = 15

# Do I receive Seed Points for all torrents I am seeding at the same time?

No. You will only receive Seed Points for 2 torrents of all you are seeding. So, if you are a Power User and seeding 10 torrents at the same time, you will only receive Seed Points for 2 of them at the same time.
Those 2 torrents are automatically chosen by the system, being the ones with lowest individual ratios.

# How many Seed Points do I get?

The amount of Seed Points you receive depends on your connection status.
If you are Connectable, then you will receive 0.25 Seed Points each 15 minutes seeding the torrent.
If you are Unconnectable, then you will receive 0.0625 Seed Points each 15 minutes seeding the torrent.
Of course, the best option is to be Connectable, so if you need to know more about it, please read this:
http://www.blackcats-games.net/forum/index...t=0&start=0

# How long do I need to keep seeding and receiving Seed Points?

Every torrent has a Cost, which is how many points you will need to collect until you are done seeding it. That Cost is calculated automatically and based on the torrent original size.
For each 100MB in size, 1 point will be added to the torrent Cost, but there is a minimum Cost of 10 points.
So, if you have a torrent with 1GB in size, it's Cost will be 10. Torrents with 5Gb will have a Cost of 50 and so on. But a torrent with 500MB will have a Cost of 10, because of the minimum Cost.
Also, if you upload some data of the torrent while seeding it, that will be used to reduce the torrent Cost, but always respecting the minimum Cost.

# What happens when I receive as many Seed Points as the torrent Cost?

When this happens, within 15 minutes, the individual ratio for the torrent will be set equal to 1.000, and the upload amount added to the torrent so it could become 1.000 will also be added to your global ratio.

# Why do I have more Seed Points than the torrent Cost?

This will always happen when you have reached the torrent Cost, but the torrent is no longer eligible for Seed Points. In this case, you will have to keep seeding the torrent until it becomes eligible one last time, so you receive your credits.

# When can I stop a torrent?

You can always stop a torrent if it has an individual ratio of at least 0.800. So, if you are collecting Seed Points for a torrent, the moment you have enough points to match the torrent Cost, it will have an individual ratio of 1.000, being safe for you to stop it.

fsephie
02-29-2008, 11:19 AM
I would absolutely consider BCG freeleech under those rules. It's like other sites where you have to seed for a period of time, only that there are more rules concerning how long you have to seed for. I think people don't mention it because it's a little bit more complex than other systems and thus would take longer for someone to describe.

Grind$oFine
02-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Though you could get the end result of freeleech, it's not.
Freeleech means that only upload is counted.
On BCG, the download does count which makes a huge difference when seeding back.

I personally just see it as the BCG SP bonus system.
And it's better than freeleech because it prevents hit n runs AND allows people to download without worrying about having a bad ratio. What other tracker does that?
Haha, like I said previously in another thread... it's perfect.

The Wanderer
I would love to vote, but I'm not a member of BCG ergo I don't know its ratio system. I simply don't play games. Don't have the time, don't have the passion. ;)

fOrUmAs
its far from freeleech there,u need to seed at least 3 days to start getting points and after 3 days of seeding then your points will start to go and then again u need to seed for days to reach to 1:1

we know how FL is working on other site so i cant really say BCG is FL

PACE
02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
maybe, but this might be the only effective way to prevent the old torrents from dying. This way everyone can get what they want. Maybe you could only allow the sp system for torrents older than 1 month or more so people won't abuse it. but how about people capping their uploads to 1KB/s? do you have some sort of system to catch these kind of people?

stoi
02-29-2008, 11:40 AM
if i say we have people will say, well you havnt caught me yet, if i say we dont then we have people trying it, so i will abstain from answering that ? lol

krisil
02-29-2008, 11:46 AM
no way is BCG freeleech . its just that they have shown some mercy for low bandwidth i.e. less privileged users . its a very good thing they have done .

Grind$oFine
02-29-2008, 11:52 AM
I couldn't imagine too many people cheating the system. It doesn't seem like there are many torrents dying off that quickly, and the torrents are typically pretty well seeded.
If a torrent does die off, then the request section is pretty decent too.
And if you want even have the ability to request (or other features), you have to be a power user or super power user, which means a ratio of 1.5+ or 2.0+... which would keep quite a few people connected to torrents even after the SP bonus.

saqib
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
no way is BCG freeleech . its just that they have shown some mercy for low bandwidth i.e. less privileged users . its a very good thing they have done .

agreed to u mate , its a blessing for ppl like me on low pipes , stoi looks like a kind person , dont he .!!:naughty:

grimms
02-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I would absolutely consider BCG freeleech under those rules. It's like other sites where you have to seed for a period of time, only that there are more rules concerning how long you have to seed for. I think people don't mention it because it's a little bit more complex than other systems and thus would take longer for someone to describe.

Tend to agree. But you still have to wait 3 days on that particular torrent. Even though I'm still really new to BCG. SP system is a little complexed and under disguise cause it's not called "The Freeleech system". Members tend to love the words "Freeleech" and "Double/Triple Upload".:happy:

dunson
02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
That doesn't seem like freeleech at all. I only consider freeleech to be NOT counting download, but counting upload, whether or not there are additional seeding rules re: time/ratio. Freeleech is like a special on a fine restaurant's menu.

Further, I don't think an upload only reporting system really qualifies as freeleech, because there is never a period where leeching costs you anything.

So, the BCG ratio system is good because it keeps older torrents active and helps out those who either have a poor connection and/or grabbed something at the end of its peak (or well after). But I don't think it counts as freeleech just because there are incentives in terms of a download credit.

I'm not a member, so if I misunderstand something about the system, correct me and I'll fit it into my argument. :P

And stoi, I saw a screenshot of the site somewhere around here and it looks likes its got a really nice design. Plus all your members rave about it, so if they don't even have to mention this system, I guess it isn't what makes the tracker so special (which seems like a very good thing). :D

stoi
02-29-2008, 01:11 PM
edited the 1st post with our newbie guide to the SP mod, just for those that are not members, or who are and still dont know how it works lol

i have also added it to our tracker review as well, so this doesnt get lost in the depths.

Kyokushin
02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Well I'm not a member there yet, but for what the guide explains it is a "mercyful" system for those who don't have a fast connection or a seedbox.

But if I understood correctly, you still have to seed the torrent for an amount of time unit it reaches a 1:1 ratio in order to get the SP feature started.
If you remove the SP system from the equation, what you have? FTN

dunson
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I see why it isn't mentioned often. It's a bit complex, but very intricately designed to encourage seeding (not leeching). I definitely think this is a good idea that very clearly focuses on seeding and is always in place to help those who have some trouble seeding torrents back fully. It also extends the life of torrents greatly, I'm sure.

Freeleech-a specially marked file where download is not counted-is designed to encourage people to download files, either to check out a Movie of The Week or to download a largish file without ratio concerns (which is obviously influenced most by download amount, mathematically).

stoi
02-29-2008, 01:41 PM
well FTN doesnt count download, we do.

lets say you have 1 gig downloaded and 26 gig uploaded. you have a 26 ratio.

you download a 24 gig PS3 game, and get SP to bring it up to a 1 ratio

you then have 25 gig downloaded, 50 gig uploaded, so you now have a global ratio of 2.

so your global ratio has plummeted, so that to me says its not realy free leech, as your global has gone down drastically.

but on the other hand SP can help as well.

lets say you have 10 hit and runs, those differances add up to 40 gig. when you use sp to clear them, your dl doesnt go up (as they are already downloaded) but your uploaded increases by 40 gig on your global, which in turn gives you a lot better ratio than you had previously. and SP has done the work for you (if there is no leechers on those 10 hit and runs.)

in reply to dunson, it does encourage leeching, and members shouldnt be scared to download a torrent that is a year old or more, as they will get at least a 1:1 ratio on it anyway.

Actatoi
02-29-2008, 01:43 PM
I voted no but I would say that it's very close to beeing freeleech, yet you can't hit and run so I would say it's better then freeleech. Looks like a good system you got going on there.

dunson
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Ah, that clears it up a bit more. I see what you mean about encouraging leeching in the long run. Point taken.

I still think it is different than a freeleech system, because it really focuses on seeding and maintaining a proper ratio. The download amount will still be taken into account, but you're giving upload points to offset the high S/L ratio or the user's low up speed.

Mistral
02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Voted yes. Once you get rid of all the numbers it's essentially "freeleech" + a time based system.

It's a good system, if a little overcomplicated. A purely time based system would have the same result.

stoi
02-29-2008, 02:39 PM
in a way yes, in a way no lol

seed for 72 hours and you get a 1:1 simple really.

ours has the 20:1 ratio, and tries to get members to only seed a few torrents at a time, hopefully making speeds on older torrents, faster.

800 seeders - 700 leechers, time based would get you there in 72 hours.

800 seeders - 700 leechers, you would not get any sp on it even after the 72 hours, as it has not got a 20-1 ratio.

you would need

800 seeders - < 39 leechers to begin earning SP on it.

TP635
02-29-2008, 03:06 PM
The end result are different.
BCG system will result in longer torrent life. There is no way freeleech will ever achieve that result. That to me is the biggest different.
Global freeleech over a short period of time benefit members with fast line giving them huge buffer, but for those with slow pipe they will be just a slight improvemt in the ratio.

briand5379
02-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Nope I've never viewed BCG as freeleech as your download counts. I never really like the seed point system till I took the time to understand it. It's actually a well designed system that allows it so no matter how good or bad your connection is you get credit for seeding.

mrnobody
02-29-2008, 05:00 PM
In freeleech, download amount isn't supposed to be counted (that is why FTN is said to be always freeleech). However, in BCG download amount is counted. So i would say, it isn't freeleech rather a nice bonus system.

AugustoP
02-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I never bothered to understand seed points system cause I never have problems seeding back at BCG.
If you can't increase your ratio over 1.0 this way it doesn't look like free leech to me.

stoi
03-01-2008, 08:49 PM
damn only 52 votes, thought there would have been more than that.

The Gladiator
03-01-2008, 08:53 PM
53 right now :P

And my vote goes for "No" for the reason already stated by squirr3l.

pro267
03-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't call it a freeleech but it's a very fair system and I like it.
Reminds me a little of the system FSC uses with the time related ratio boost thingy.

Medooooo
03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't call it a freeleech but it's a very fair system and I like it.
:yup::yup::yup:

popcop23
03-01-2008, 09:07 PM
No,
but I like this way then the Ratio way... =]

SgtMajor
03-01-2008, 09:17 PM
damn only 52 votes, thought there would have been more than that.

That's because it is considered a complicated issue, look at the responses in this thread for instance and see how posters have swayed with their thoughts and opinions depending on how much they understand what it is you are offering.

And no, it isn't freeleech, it only benefits those who can't seed back 1:1 due to low BW issues, what if everyone on the tracker only had the equal of your slowest member with the least upload speed, what would happen then? You would still count download which is = to not being freeleech, and would that system be a worthwhile system then and would it still be effective even?

And it doesn't help those with phat pipes/seedboxes, they have to get back to 1:1 regardless of the SP system, because they can.

stoi
03-01-2008, 09:32 PM
its not that hard to understand surely, ok i have known about it for a year now, but it is pretty easy, its not rocket science.

and it "can" help those with fast uploads if they want to grab a torrent from 6 months ago that has not got any leechers on it (and probably wont have many until it gets recycled, 6 months after that)

SgtMajor
03-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Not everybody speaks, and understands 100%, English, even those of us with English as our first language have a hard time getting our heads round your SP system the first time we read it, it takes a little while for it to sink in before we get the "oh - I understand it now" lights in our head.

And "freeleech" should be for everyone all of the time for it to be considered a freeleech site, just by your own admission there, you have the "if" statement creeping in.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great system, and I'm all for the better off helping the less well off if & when they can, I always have been an advocate of all sites being freeleech, warez should be free to download at any time for everyone without expectation, just that trackers sometimes think differently, but if everyone worked towards a more friendly environment for all, sharing & caring would prevail in the long run, and as for bad apples, well there are always bad apples in any part of life, we just have to manage it to the best we can.

BlueLabel
03-01-2008, 10:22 PM
I barely understand the sp system either...
3 days seeding and just after that you start reciving points???:huh::frusty:

stoi
03-01-2008, 10:26 PM
I barely understand the sp system either...
3 days seeding and just after that you start reciving points???:huh::frusty:

well instead of saying that, as i cant realy help you, say what part you dont understand of it, either here or on BCG and we will help you understand it.

actually go and read the SP FAQ thread on BCG lots of questions asked, and lots of ? answered.

Just saying i dont understand it, and not bothering to ask ? doesnt help anyone im afraid, least of all you.

BlueLabel
03-01-2008, 10:33 PM
well... I never had bad ratio situation in bcg
maybe thats why I passed that part, but yeah its good to know so I will read it couple times untill I get it

samahzzzzz
03-01-2008, 10:39 PM
i like seed point system and it's free leech .

C-mos
03-01-2008, 11:06 PM
i like it two :)