PDA

View Full Version : Where are the old members?

TP635
03-02-2008, 02:20 AM
The most active are those who want to establish them self and are new here.
Those who got what they want post less or hardly ever;
many left forever.
few are beyond the 1 year mark
I just notice
Why?

shmicko
03-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Some don't give a shit about community I guess what else could it be? Just take what you need and sod off? Either that or abduction by aliens? or SWAT team seize HDD?

kallieb
03-02-2008, 02:39 AM
If you really want to know the reason here it is.....

The recent changes to the site rules pushed a lot of established members back to their favourite private trackers/forums, because trying to hang out in both sites put them in a bit of a bind. It was no longer easy to just post in both, when the rules of FST were putting our favourites sites in greater risk. So, when it comes down to having to chose where to put support, members are supporting their private sites for obvious reasons.

Personally, I've done the same, for the same reasons. It's a bit of a fluke that I cam across your post.

What is really important to put out there, is that it is not about NOT giving a shit about community but rather GIVING a shit about the BT community as a whole; and for this reason a core section of FST's userbase has just drifted off.

My two cents..

jonny81985
03-02-2008, 02:43 AM
well alot of people get their invites and bounce, there are a few out there that stick around thogh. You also have to take into consideration that some people just get sick of torrents.

Either way im here to stay :)

Jon

Something Else
03-02-2008, 02:45 AM
The reason the old members don't post hear is because they do care about this and other communities.
This is by far the worst, but most popular section on FST.
Populated in the most part by people who don't care about communities, or their safety. :eyebrows:

1000possibleclaws
03-02-2008, 02:47 AM
this is still by far the best file sharing forums i have come across so far

SgtMajor
03-02-2008, 02:55 AM
You also have to take into consideration that some people just get sick of torrents.

Just the same subjects actually, but with younger and less understanding posters who want it like right now and have no patience or do not know how to put the actual effort into getting what they want legitimately and believe that everything has a value or a price.

It's cyclic, every 3 or 6 months you see the same topics crop up, just the posters name is different, I mean just how many times can you take having to see the same question "I have a problem with BitmeTV or TL" etc etc before it becomes tiresome.

I think I should create a c&p answer sticky so I don't have to think the next time I see the same question :P

TP635
03-02-2008, 03:06 AM

The recent changes to the site rules pushed a lot of established members back to their favourite private trackers/forums, because trying to hang out in both sites put them in a bit of a bind. It was no longer easy to just post in both, when the rules of FST were putting our favourites sites in greater risk. So, when it comes down to having to chose where to put support, members are supporting their private sites for obvious reasons.

Personally, I've done the same, for the same reasons. It's a bit of a fluke that I cam across your post.

What is really important to put out there, is that it is not about NOT giving a shit about community but rather GIVING a shit about the BT community as a whole; and for this reason a core section of FST's userbase has just drifted off.

My two cents..

I tend to post here rather than in tracker's forums. I found this site before I know anything about private trackers.
We are still lucky here cos there are still a few old timers with the right knowledge and wisdom to guide the newer one.

and the Sgt is one of them:yup:

rovama
03-02-2008, 03:07 AM
I come here from time to time, but most of those times I just read others threads to be up to date, or I read something that draws my attention, and I only occasionally write to a thread. Part of that is what kallieb (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/kallieb-170977) said about how things have changed. And in part is like jonny81985 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/jonny81985-189429) said, sometimes you need to forget a little about bittorrents invites threads or trackers discussions and take some time to enjoy what you have. Spent some more time on trackers forums or checking the new stuff.

But of course I can never forget about this place, because is here where i've learned almost all I know about private trackers. And I've also met some good friends.

I must admit that I enjoy to come here, and see that some old and very respectable members as SgtMajor (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/sgtmajor-79679) are still here. Without them, it wouldn't be the same.

durex
03-02-2008, 03:12 AM
To many :sick: people .... someone once told me,
"....perhaps with luck you will find 1% of the 10% (total) of nice people here. "

stitched
03-02-2008, 03:29 AM
i think just like everything in life people lose interest ....especially in all these less important things in life.....u might too when you r 1-2 years older. its like moving on to better and bigger things in life and realising "no amount of torrent site would make any difference in someone's life....with experience some learn to better utilize the time in their lives.

Dark Archon
03-02-2008, 04:29 AM
many left forever.
I just notice
Why?

unfortunately some come and go once they have got what they are looking for but i think we cannot stereotype all of them as those are the minorities. most of them probably have moved on with their lives respectively or had personal issues which diverted their time and attention from FST. for those who contributed to FST in the past their efforts should be appreciated.

Detale
03-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Some don't give a shit about community I guess what else could it be? Just take what you need and sod off? Either that or abduction by aliens? or SWAT team seize HDD?

Wow with only 54 posts you got that already?

Sure some do and others become Staff here :)

fatcat69
03-02-2008, 04:47 AM

Others make it their job to make every post border line rule breaking to keep the staff busy.

:whistling

fGxq4uwXaUk

zedex
03-02-2008, 05:50 AM
like been said here most of the good and old members here are just sick of the invite section , to much scammers and collectors and not enough mods to find them and kick them out .

TP635
03-02-2008, 06:19 AM
I may be wrong and if I am, please correct me: There are many new members here who do not seem to be new from the way they post, and I have this feeling that they were here before and for some reason change identity.

fatcat69
03-02-2008, 06:27 AM
I may be wrong and if I am, please correct me: There are many new members here who do do seem to be new from the way they post, and I have this feeling that they were here before and for some reason change identity.

Numerous users have multiple accounts...so they can trade and be also "good users" to get into giveaways so they can trade those to..

Maybe fst could ban users who have multiple accounts ...ie flag IP's that log onto more then one account :whistling

SAM
03-02-2008, 07:08 AM
well,
they are here but they get sick of this bt nonsense and retired.
you may find some in the lounge but i advise you not to get near them.

Bionic
03-02-2008, 08:09 AM

Others make it their job to make every post border line rule breaking to keep the staff busy.

Worst Video ever. Lol.
Well, people quit cause lets say most n00bies come and get what they want. Others may have some life issues, why not. :)

BlueLabel
03-02-2008, 08:36 AM
I think that after couple years you just get sick from torrent, ppl life isnt just torrent you know, ppl get other things in life.

take the Major for ex
he is here almost 4 years,and by that time he got married 2 times, replace 5 different jobs, made 2 babies and now he is KGB agent.

so you see...
if I was him i would leave the torrent world long time ago

Skiz
03-02-2008, 08:53 AM
many left forever.
I just notice
Why?

There are plenty of long term members in other areas of the forum. Most of them (like myself) just can't stand all the simpletons in this section or that of the Invites section.

Plus, there isn't much to learn with regards to bittorrent, so once they've become knowledgeable, why return to the section?

Also, a large number of aged members have moved on to superior methods of file sharing, leaving bittorrent in the dust.

My two cents..

Our total members are growing, not "drifting off". :)

The reason the old members don't post hear is because they do care about this and other communities.
Populated in the most part by people who don't care about communities, or their safety. :eyebrows:

A-muthafuckin-men.

Artemis
03-02-2008, 09:06 AM
There are plenty of long term members in other areas of the forum. Most of them (like myself) just can't stand all the simpletons in this section or that of the Invites section.

Plus, there isn't much to learn with regards to bittorrent, so once they've become knowledgeable, why return to the section?

Also, a large number of aged members have moved on to superior methods of file sharing, leaving bittorrent in the dust.

My two cents..

Our total members are growing, not "drifting off". :)

A-muthafuckin-men.

see there's a really old member :naughty:

SAM
03-02-2008, 09:09 AM
yeah.I wonder how he get out from the tomb?

C-mos
03-02-2008, 09:20 AM

U are talking ?:))

2 years :)50 posts ;)

FatBob
03-02-2008, 09:24 AM
its the same old crap here everyday

xJohnxSmithx
03-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Well a lots changed even since I've been here. People change, it's all good. More than that, torrenting is forever evolving. There's plenty of good people still lurking. ;)
cheers

Vercors
03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Speaking of myself, I'm not using torrents nearly as much as I did back when I registered there, so that's one of the reasons why I'm not really posting anymore.
It's not like I was contributing to this board anyway

mrnobody
03-02-2008, 12:57 PM
i think most oldies of this board are in lounge :unsure:

Polarbear
03-02-2008, 12:58 PM
what is really getting on my nerves is that some new forum members behave very badly. they disrespect other members, they disrespect forum rules and they sure do give a shit about tracker rules.

when i am new to a community i ask, learn and listen. most of all i will try to make a friendly impression on regular members.

some n00bs come here, act like the experienced torrent gangstas and want it all right now.

they flame sites, they flame other members or they just spam the forum with useless posts.

some of them know exactly what sites they're hunting. this and the lack of respect underlines the double account theory.

unfortunately i get the feeling, that (especially the invite section) gets more crowded with stupid, uneducated trash everyday.

on the other hand it's always nice to see new people .

i really like honest newcomers who don't know much, but are eager to listen, learn and contribute to the community. even if they are just looking for invites, they do it the right way.

i enjoy explaining someone the differences between seeding and leeching rather than giving irc details for the 200th "my account got stolen/banned for no reason" topic.

when i came here about half a year ago i was happy to have all sites i ever wanted. i was never actively looking for invites in the invite section.

nevertheless i learned that there are a few great trackers i wasn't a member of and i got invited to all of them, which i wouldn't want to miss today.

sgtmajor has a much longer history than i do, but even i notice that the same topics will come up over and over again in the bittorrent section.

whatever. after all i like hanging out on fst and i'm not planning to leave in the near future.

when i leave it will be all over sudden and without a goodbye.

stoi
03-02-2008, 01:07 PM
in answer to skizo`s post.

I would love to see how many users this board had if you pruned them for not login in for 60 days.

I joined in 2002 when it was the klite forum, then i scrapped klite when torrents first come out, so i never returned here (as i didnt know it had changed its name) until the middle of last year, so that was 3-4 years inactive on this board.

so if you never ever prune members, of course it will "look" like its growing, but it isnt realy, the board "looks" a lot busier than it actually is.

For example. 128,000 members in 5 years, without pruning.

BCG we are up to our 350,000 members in just over a year, but we prune inactive accounts so its actually 47,000 active members.

RainRoofer
03-02-2008, 01:32 PM
http://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu/~warren/hiding.jpeg

SAM
03-02-2008, 01:35 PM
BCG we are up to our 350,000 members in just over a year, but we prune inactive accounts so its actually 47,000 active member

you pruned me,stoj :(

Kapone
03-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Also remember that some of the ppl we think are noobs may not actually be noobs. I have been doing torrents for quite some time and just recently stumbled across FST. But I have learned so much from FST in the short time I have been here (like setting up my seedbox) from members such as Sgt Major and Fatcat.

So I don't think its all about the invites. I have already given a few invites out since being a member here. And plan to give a few more. Give or earned is the key word here ;). Today to many noobs do want everything right now with earning them. Learn to walk before you run ppl.

phrenzy
03-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Some have moved on to a better place to hangout..................

WarrenBuffet
03-02-2008, 07:55 PM
You also have to take into consideration that some people just get sick of torrents.

Just the same subjects actually, but with younger and less understanding posters who want it like right now and have no patience or do not know how to put the actual effort into getting what they want legitimately and believe that everything has a value or a price.

It's cyclic, every 3 or 6 months you see the same topics crop up, just the posters name is different, I mean just how many times can you take having to see the same question "I have a problem with BitmeTV or TL" etc etc before it becomes tiresome.

I think I should create a c&p answer sticky so I don't have to think the next time I see the same question :P

I can't believe I'm saying this, but good post

SCR
03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Yes they are but "The Lounge" is like a Bermuda Triangle especially for the ones coming from the BT and BT Invite sections u may get in the lounge for a short period .. but who knows if you are going to get out in one piece .. :shifty:

BlueLabel
03-02-2008, 08:19 PM
maybe some of the old members are very old that they pass to the next world???

Actatoi
03-02-2008, 08:28 PM

There are no next world, after this one you're fucked.

The Gladiator
03-02-2008, 08:38 PM

There are no next world, after this one you're fucked.

:lol:

Vercors
03-02-2008, 08:47 PM
As far as moving you far superior methods of filesharing could you mention any of these far superior methods? I mean Ive seen you yourself UL/DL Mp3s off a tracker that I wont mentioned recently. Not to mention elsewhere. So if your using far superior stuff it cant be all that great as far as sources of files maybe? Im guessing you were referring to newsgroups?? But thats just a guess.

Newsgroups fanboy indeed

stitched
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes they are but "The Lounge" is like a Bermuda Triangle especially for the ones coming from the BT and BT Invite sections u may get in the lounge for a short period .. but who knows if you are going to get out in one piece .. :shifty:

i think most of these rumours about lounge is rumours...its not like its a forbidden zone...there are always certain people who agree with what you say and some who dont....there are always people who are smarter then you and some who r not...there are always people who have better vocabulary and some who dont...if you are offended by such things then everything is a bermuda triangle .......may be this topic should be moved to "THE LOUNGE"

Gish
03-02-2008, 09:52 PM
it seems as though most older members hang out in the lounge forums when the noods hang out more in bittorrent and invites forums!

SaRkAsM
03-02-2008, 10:04 PM
As far as moving you far superior methods of filesharing could you mention any of these far superior methods? I mean Ive seen you yourself UL/DL Mp3s off a tracker that I wont mentioned recently. Not to mention elsewhere. So if your using far superior stuff it cant be all that great as far as sources of files maybe? Im guessing you were referring to newsgroups?? But thats just a guess.

Newsgroups fanboy indeed

Newsgroups FTL. If anything actual Scene Axx.. But imo most ppl get tired of the same bs. I myself haven't been here that long but i do read most of the post and keep comments to myself as the topics and pplz responding are saying some really dumb stuff which usually is spam and nothing todo with the topic.

monk3y
03-02-2008, 10:48 PM
when time passes you come to understand, you can't actually benefit from posting and spamming here like a crazy horse =)

SAM
03-03-2008, 12:10 AM
i think most of these rumours about lounge is rumours...its not like its a forbidden zone...there are always certain people who agree with what you say and some who dont....there are always people who are smarter then you and some who r not...there are always people who have better vocabulary and some who dont...if you are offended by such things then everything is a bermuda triangle .......may be this topic should be moved to "THE LOUNGE"
this is naive :D

SenorBubbz
03-03-2008, 01:17 AM
this is still by far the best file sharing forums i have come across so far

Completely agree. I intend to continue to post here for a long time. I may be inactive for a while in July because I'll be in Brazil though. Just warning now.

Mac4ever
03-03-2008, 01:22 AM
getting sick of the many varities of sites is the main reason for leaving these forums for traders. they get bored of not being able to get every tracker on earth.
for others, they got enough.
also, some people were disabled from some trackers even if they havent traded. they left for safety.
for some others, they got sick of some people here. Kids.

WarrenBuffet
03-03-2008, 01:35 AM
their here.... in the lounge

Detale
03-03-2008, 01:47 AM
[quote=Detale;2702424]

You're a real pain in the ass do you know that?:frusty: Also this could be considered advertising so lets watch that line buddy:unsure:

Green Goblin
03-03-2008, 02:30 AM
lurking in the bushes

Artemis
03-03-2008, 06:05 AM
lurking in the bushes

Somehow the idea of you lurking in the bushes ready to leap out doesn't really surprise me GG :naughty:

SCR
03-03-2008, 06:29 AM
this is naive :D
:yup: really naive ..
stitched ... i have been here a little longer then you have .. and i have seen things .. i have seen people adventuring into the lounge .. but never came back .. :fear:.trust me mate they have :alien: in there .. they play with your mind and they abduct people .. stay away from that place :no: ...
:shifty:

Cabalo
03-03-2008, 06:44 AM
well, i've been here over an year, and hadn't spammed like some people i see that are registered in less than few months and some thousands of posts...
i find it amazing to have time to show an opinion just about everything, i wish i had time for that.
could have registered a lot of time before, but as this forum doesn't require u to register for reading permissions, i only registered some day i wanted to reply something.

i like the BT section cuz i get good laughs with all the noobs and stupid things i see happening there, but my main subjects are usually hardware, software and gaming, and those are not very active areas at this forum.
right now I'm battling detale and clocker for the biggest E8400 OC, the mhz e-penis battle, and i'm winning :D

Skiz
03-03-2008, 06:59 AM
in answer to skizo`s post.

I would love to see how many users this board had if you pruned them for not login in for 60 days.

I joined in 2002 when it was the klite forum, then i scrapped klite when torrents first come out, so i never returned here (as i didnt know it had changed its name) until the middle of last year, so that was 3-4 years inactive on this board.

so if you never ever prune members, of course it will "look" like its growing, but it isnt realy, the board "looks" a lot busier than it actually is.

For example. 128,000 members in 5 years, without pruning.

BCG we are up to our 350,000 members in just over a year, but we prune inactive accounts so its actually 47,000 active members.

Of course members are always joining. :lol:

What I mean is the forum is growing in respect to unique visitors each month.

stoi
03-03-2008, 07:12 AM
well what i meant was, lots of members join, get what they want, and never come back ever.

I would like to see what you would get if you ran a query or even a user search on here, for members who have not signed in for at least 60 days. even make it a year, i bet its well over 1/2 of the total members on here.

im not saying its a bad forum, all im saying its not as active as the 128,000 members at the bottom of the page make it out to be. and if you did prune accounts, which i bet you never will, that number would get cut drastically. (but im just curious as to how many would get pruned)

Sylar666
03-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I gotta agree with Stoi. Amazing though that there are plethora of malevolent people showing up each and every day here. This can be a real big turn down. I mean people are really getting more cautious - even offering generous giveaways. It ain't a good experience to be scammed or Your account having been hacked. Another factor is that in some cases P2P - and torrenting - becomes a real hobby (even and obsession), and for some people the enthusiasm just goes away. It lasts for some months or a couple of years. Torrenting is both a lifestyle and a tool to reach Your goals (films, applications, games) in a relaxed - and cheaper - way...Interesting, though that some virtual companionship could evolve.

freedom
03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
i think just like everything in life people lose interest ....especially in all these less important things in life.....u might too when you r 1-2 years older. its like moving on to better and bigger things in life and realising "no amount of torrent site would make any difference in someone's life....with experience some learn to better utilize the time in their lives.

This is a good point i need to admit.. well actually the time is priceless. you will not have time to reply in a forum and you will probably only visit from time to time and see what's new, what things have been changed from the last visit.. look for some well know names..

marksman
03-03-2008, 10:19 PM
we(..i kinda like to think myself as one of em) are still around...its just that for me..how the forum turned to isnt like what it used 2 be!..guess i didnt like the change much thats all!..

vinhkhang01
03-04-2008, 01:45 AM
Would you please tell us where is it, so that we can follow?

grimms
03-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Would you please tell us where is it, so that we can follow?

I agree. I could say personally I have had the TIME to be active here. I'm currently not working as much at the moment. It's been that way for the past 4 months. So I have had alot of spare time on my hands, but when I become active again(Working full time), I may disappear for along while and return in intervals. For other older members? Some are sick of the BT Section and label it "Bittard Section". Others feel there is only so much you can learn and gain from the BT section (Which is very true).

Same shit, different poster. Others never had an interest at all in the BT Section(Due to being more mature, better things to do with their spare time) and joined for Newsgroups or software or some other shit. Then you have the members that troll all parts of the FST boards and chime in occasionally. I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to why old members don't show face in this section.

Honestly? Sometimes it's due to all the senseless banter that is spewed within this section, young children, and n00bs like (myself included). Also you tend to feel like your dumbed down alittle bit when reading certain topics, posts, or arguments. It becomes redundant to some, and refreshing to others. Others simply love this section to ROFLMAO.:yup:

Edit: Also some members like to lurk and just read shit, laugh, gain knowledge, and even get help to their own question, that they may have had in the past, but didn't post, or the issue or problem didn't get resolved. You also have those that only like to post (If they are compelled to do so). Then you have the members that are afraid to let their views be heard, cause they don't want to be bothered, picked on, among other things. Then you have those who love this board for the lounge section only. They regurgitate the same witty stuff about life, sex, work, funny shit, boredom, or members, current affairs, or whatever else and a very humorous funny way(Or dull). Same with those who like the BT section. Same redundant subject, matters, issues. Thats what makes this board fun though. To each it's own. Feel free to agree, disagree, hate, love, or whatever you do when viewing post's you agree or disagree with.;)