PDA

View Full Version : The end of Windows XP Monday

IdolEyes787
06-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Software giant Microsoft will stop selling its ubiquitous XP operating system
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4749/90705matterpm4er1.jpg on Monday. But that doesn’t mean the seven-year-old software won’t continue contributing to the company’s financial performance for years to come. Terminating XP was expected. It comes just 18 months after Redmond, Wash.- based Microsoft introduced a new, more advanced operating system called Vista. While the new system is powerful, upgrading means spending lots of time and money to rework applications designed to run XP specifically. As a result, some companies, including Microsoft partner Intel Corp, have balked at adopting Vista, preferring instead to continue using XP.

Though Monday will be the last day Microsoft sells XP or provides free support for the “hundreds of thousands” of computers that are estimated to run on it, the company has come up with a novel way to wring money from the aging operating system: It is killing XP but isn’t letting it die. One way Microsoft will still make money from XP is by charging to provide support. Because the software continues to be popular, Microsoft’s “extended” support program is sure to generate lots more revenue. Microsoft will offer the program at least through 2014. That will likely attract lots of big corporate customers. Meanwhile, Microsoft will make more money by supplying XP to computer makers Hewlett-Packard Co., Dell Inc. and others. Because Vista has had trouble making headway in the corporate market, computer makers have asked for “downgrade rights” - the right to continue offering XP on their notebook and desktop computers after.

:source: Source: http://www.rlslog.net/the-end-of-windows-xp-next-monday/
:view: Homepage: http://www.rlslog.net/

peat moss
07-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Look thru forums all over the net , people looking for XP drivers for their notebooks . It does take a little searching if you want to nuke Vista and install XP on your new laptop . Its a scam but the noobies are stuck .

I'll wait for Windows 7, I'll never use Vista .

Sonnentier
07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Look thru forums all over the net , people looking for XP drivers for their notebooks . It does take a little searching if you want to nuke Vista and install XP on your new laptop .
I did this as well, because my notebook doesn't have the best hardware but nevertheless, they changed the pre-installed system to Vista. It constantly sucked up about 30% of the CPU when I did nothing, also using the HDD all the time. When it also became instable after I tried to deactivate certain services to improve performance, I got rid of it.

colombianino
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Look thru forums all over the net , people looking for XP drivers for their notebooks . It does take a little searching if you want to nuke Vista and install XP on your new laptop .
I did this as well, because my notebook doesn't have the best hardware but nevertheless, they changed the pre-installed system to Vista. It constantly sucked up about 30% of the CPU when I did nothing, also using the HDD all the time. When it also became instable after I tried to deactivate certain services to improve performance, I got rid of it.

hahahahahaha:lol:
i like the part "I tried to deactivate certain services to improve performance"
that's too damn funny, windows 7 will be like vista too, so don't expect anything better, actually don't expect anything good other than the popular msn messenger. microsoft can't get nothing right. they don't know how to code a closed-source os, yet they're selling it!?

lostdemon
07-03-2008, 09:03 AM
I really like windows XP over Vista and if I were to buy a new pc with vista pre installed I would just install XP on it.

Demonoid has a very good Windows XP Drivers torrent with all the drivers you need. No need to search around for hours when you can have them all on one disk. I've installed XP on about 5 different computers and used the drivers disc with it.

paradoX
07-03-2008, 01:13 PM
this topic jumped into my eyes.

yesterday, dad asked me to find a computer for him with preinstalled xp. he wants to buy a new one. he already has a vista OS on so I told him to just format the drive and install xp on it. but he has been asking the geek squad, stores, etc, .. and they all told him that computers with vista on them don't support Xp. I was.. WTF. >.< seriously, this has grown into one big scam. "new computers only supports vista". right. it should be illegal to throw sand in customer's eyes.
I can't fix him anything because I'm in EU and he lives in states. so that's that.

as for myself, I am starting to lean towards the linux lately. especially since it seems to work just fine with ntfs support.. photoshop and the like running on wine and I win. :D

windows is not what it used to be.. :\

Skootle
07-03-2008, 02:17 PM
I remember when I bought my laptop in November through Dell. It came with Vista. The first thing I did was start it up and click on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop to register the internet connection with my university; what I got was a nice big error telling me I had to reboot... I did, but I popped in a Linux Ubuntu CD before.

manicgeek
07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Ummm not that I want to pick holes or anything... but XP was released in 2002 and where I live, it isn't possible to fit seven years into six years.

peat moss
07-04-2008, 01:42 AM
I really like windows XP over Vista and if I were to buy a new pc with vista pre installed I would just install XP on it.

Demonoid has a very good Windows XP Drivers torrent with all the drivers you need. No need to search around for hours when you can have them all on one disk. I've installed XP on about 5 different computers and used the drivers disc with it.

Or get one of the many XP builds that include driver packs from there . I had little success with the Windows XP Drivers 2008 tho on propitiatory systems like Dell etc. Had more luck with Black XP when installing on a desktop, laptops are another matter . :whistling

markupmaster
07-04-2008, 04:01 AM
I (like most others),prefer XP over Vista. XP has a really simple interface and it doesn't have all those annoying pop-ups..

:P