PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Reason Your Mail Account Got Hacked?

jayz707
07-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Lately there have been a number of threads here at FST from people who got there mail accounts hacked. every time i read one of those i feel a bit scary :mellow:.

so can all of you who got there mail accounts hacked tell us why they got hacked?(or if you don't know why excatly, tell us your best guess) and what we should do to protect our mail accounts, so the something won't happen to us.

give us some advice to keep our mail accounts safe. im not talking about the general have a good passwords kinda stuff... i want to know your unique experiences. so that we can learn from it and make sure we won't do it ourselfvs.

Acumen
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Well, the first thing you should know is that, when trading invites, you only need to give them your email address. They shouldn't ask for your password. :)

Also, use Keepass (http://keepass.info/download.html) to generate 512-bit passwords for your email account, and make a 2048-bit password for that stupid security question they have you answer, since you'll never loose your password with Keepass.

And another thing... only use web-based email accounts that use SSL encryption. In other words, avoid inbox.com.

jayz707
07-02-2008, 05:41 PM
i wonder who would be dumb enough to give there email account's password to ANYONE!!! :D anyways Keepass seems to be a goood thing :)

thanks for the info Acumen!

anyone else have any input?